Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Where does Klay rank among the best players in the league?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Top 10

1 3.45%
  • 11-15

4 13.79%
  • 16-20

11 37.93%
  • 21-25

8 27.59%
  • 26+

5 17.24%
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by WaDe03 View Post
    Which of these guys is Klay better than:

LeBron
    KD
    Curry
    Harden
    Kawhi
    Butler
    Westbrook
    CP3
    AD
    Cousins
    Wall

IT
    Hayward
    Griffin
    Green
    PG
    Lillard
    Embiid
    Giannis
    Kyrie

Drummond
    Whiteside
    Horford
    Derozan
    Lowry
    Beal
    CJ
    Oladipo
    Simmons
    Kristaps
    Aldridge
    Towns
    Jokic
    Gasol
    Conley

I don't think all that guys are better but I would say majority are better or right there. Young guys that I think will pass him in the next 2 years at most:

Mitchell (we may have finally found the next Wade)
    Jaylen Brown
    Tatum
    Ingram
    Wiggins
    Lauri (dark horse)

After looking at everyone I would say with confidence he's in the 25-30 range but wouldn't be made at someone who has him in the 20-25 range. Any higher than that then I disagree.
    I've bolded guys who I would unequivocally list as better players, which is 18 players. So, at best, he's 19th. Now let's look at everyone else you've listed (not counting your young guys) and break them down by categories:

Guys playing better this season:

Andre Drummond
    Victor Oladipo
    LeMarcus Aldridge

I'd rank all of these guys ahead of Klay today based on their performance this season. Aldridge is stepping up due to injury, so that might be short-lived, but the other two guys are the best players on their respective teams, both of which are in the playoffs right now. So if I'm basing it on this season, Klay is probably in that 22-23 range.

Injured guys who might be better:

Isaiah Thomas
    Blake Griffin
    Gordon Hayward

Based on Thomas' performance last season and Blake's overall dominance throughout his career, I think both guys would likely be ahead of Klay if they were healthy this season. Hayward is borderline as he and Thompson aren't totally dissimilar players. Gun to my head, I think I'd rather have Klay, but Hayward's numbers last year in Utah were a little better.

The other borderline All-Star shooting guards:

Bradley Beal
    CJ McCollum

Statistically, these guys are right there, neck and neck with Klay. And like Klay, they're better secondary pieces who don't create a ton for others or produce in a lot of other categories. These guys are probably a little more versatile offensively, but they don't have an elite skill like Klay does with his 3-point shooting, and he's a better defender than they are. So I'd give the edge to Klay here.

Other veteran No. 2 or No. 3 guys

Hassan Whiteside
    Al Horford
    Kyle Lowry
    Marc Gasol
    Mike Conley

I love all of these players for different reasons, but like Klay, none of these guys is carrying a team by himself right now. Your opinion of where he ranks compared to them is probably going to vary based on your opinion of them and which types of production you value more, but I personally wouldn't rank any of them ahead of Klay right now. Lowry and Gasol have both been ahead of him at times in their careers, but I don't know that I would say they are today.

Flawed young guys who will be better in 2-3 seasons if Klay doesn't improve:

Ben Simmons
    Kristaps Porzingis
    KAT
    Nikola Jokic

You could actually make a strong case for any of these guys as being better than Klay today. But despite Klay's flaws, he's probably a more complete player than these guys right now. Simmons and Jokic haven't figured out how to consistently put up 20 a night yet, KAT can't defend the paint and Porzingis hasn't been very efficient this season. But you definitely get a sense that all four are on the cusp. You could put Embiid in this category, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt because he's been spectacular in the games he's played, and when he's on the floor, he's simply a better player than Klay.

Quote Originally Posted by Giannis94 View Post
    Bucks vs raptors in the ECF. Mark my words.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    A lesser Kevin Martin offensively with Bruce Bowen like on ball defense then. Could win 48 games on a team built around him...
    Martin is an interesting comparison. Klay is the better shooter, but Martin had a real knack for getting to the line, which made him a hyperefficient scorer. Klay doesn't have that. I'm not sure I buy Thompson as a comparable on-ball defender to Bowen, though. Very good, without question. But on Bowen's level? That guy might be the best crunch-time perimeter stopper of the past 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Giannis94 View Post
    Bucks vs raptors in the ECF. Mark my words.

Klay Thompson: The most overrated player in the league?

Klay is not a top 10 player but is also a 2nd option type scorer on a team where he is the 3rd option and probably 4th best player. Just like with bosh his stats likely take a little bit of a hit now since kd will get the looks he used to and be focused in the offense more now.

I mean at this point I think it is fair to say curry Durant klay and probably even green will all be rated all over the place. From most dominant/ubguardable players ever to Damian lilliard we see all sorts of takes. This team has far more talent than needed so no one is really living up to their individual potential here with things so easy and it makes it really tough to gauge any one individual. That's why this team is so lame for many, these guys arent even needed to really perform/try.

Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    Klay is not a top 10 player but is also a 2nd option type scorer on a team where he is the 3rd option and probably 4th best player. Just like with bosh his stats likely take a little bit of a hit now since kd will get the looks he used to and be focused in the offense more now.

I mean at this point I think it is fair to say curry Durant klay and probably even green will all be rated all over the place. From most dominant/ubguardable players ever to Damian lilliard we see all sorts of takes. This team has far more talent than needed so no one is really living up to their individual potential here with things so easy and it makes it really tough to gauge any one individual. That's why this team is so lame for many, these guys arent even needed to really perform/try.
    Not too different from the James worthy debate.

How much can you really prove on a team that great? I say **** em, let them grow the balls to prove their worth.

Not too different from the James worthy debate.

How much can you really prove on a team that great? I say **** em, let them grow the balls to prove their worth.
    Yup most nba fans will want them to clearly prove they can play at these high levels without extreme situations. That will lead many to rank them how they probably should be ranked based on what they have proven individually. They don't get major credit for easy titles but it's not like you ignore it either.

Their fans will hype up this current team/situation as some sort of proof of what they can do at an individual level but many won't just ignore the obvious context to prop them up like that without bias.

You are left with a group of people basing it off their overall and team success today with another pointing to the individual flaws when not together in an extreme situation. So they get placed all over in rankings etc due to that.

Yup most nba fans will want them to clearly prove they can play at these high levels without extreme situations. That will lead many to rank them how they probably should be ranked based on what they have proven individually. They don't get major credit for easy titles but it's not like you ignore it either.

Their fans will hype up this current team/situation as some sort of proof of what they can do at an individual level but many won't just ignore the obvious context to prop them up like that without bias.

You are left with a group of people basing it off their overall and team success today with another pointing to the individual flaws when not together in an extreme situation. So they get placed all over in rankings etc due to that.
    You know how they say history will forget about it... I'm wondering just how long they mean. Like is basketball reference going to be outlawed knowledge where we won't remember just how dominant golden State was BEFORE KD?

That's a sad day but I hope they mean like 200 years from now when basketball has been replaced by robot ball

Klay Thompson: The most overrated player in the league?

The people who say we will forget are usually the people who simply like the guy and WANT people to forget. Everyone will know that the year before he joined they won 73 games and the year before won the title. Everyone will see how good those guys were and their all star teams etc and won't have attachments to the players so see how they struggled outside this situation.

Klay is going to be the one who takes the biggest hit statistically IMO. Mbt is just kinda pointing out what that looks like here when you actually dig into those numbers. It's been downhill since Durant

A lesser Kevin Martin offensively with Bruce Bowen like on ball defense then. Could win 48 games on a team built around him...
    I don't know if he could be that effective defensively as a top option giving a ton of effort to lead an offense.

It just all depends on what you're trying to rank them based off of. For example, last year KD got quite unanimous praise for his playoff run from even the most vocal opposers of his move. Because he absolutely killed it. Much like lebron in miami, when you see greatness in front of you it just doesnt matter. Remember how many people were saying **** like his titles in miami won't count, etc etc. But after seeing that type of domination, no one really sticks that weak *** argument anymore.

Golden state is still new to this situation, only 1.5 years so far, so much of how he's viewed is going to depend on how everything plays out
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post

It just all depends on what you're trying to rank them based off of. For example, last year KD got quite unanimous praise for his playoff run from even the most vocal opposers of his move. Because he absolutely killed it. Much like lebron in miami, when you see greatness in front of you it just doesnt matter. Remember how many people were saying **** like his titles in miami won't count, etc etc. But after seeing that type of domination, no one really sticks that weak *** argument anymore.

Golden state is still new to this situation, only 1.5 years so far, so much of how he's viewed is going to depend on how everything plays out
    It's nothing like Miami though and even then it was mostly just lebron haters saying that not most nba fans. I M joy saying it's impossible and he sucks now like that at all, just that the situation is clearly a major factor unlike we have ever seen. That's it and it's pretty simple/obvious. There are tons of other factors that separate why lebron would get praise in comparison but you don't generally care about any context so this is all unlikely to make a difference in your opinion.

Kd did not get near the same praise as many individuals (at an atg level) for their first ring and it's due to the situation. He definitely killed it in the finals series but even Warriors fans point out he isn't even the best player on his own team haha and it's not like they ever had real competition. It's just way different than anything we have seen before and most non homers won't simply give a guy major credit for jumping to such a situation.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    This is an important point I'd like to touch on here, because I think it's something that both proves his value to the Warriors and holds him back as an individual player. He's an excellent No. 2 or No. 3 offensively. He thrives in that role, and he plays it as well as probably anybody in the league. And he never seems to ask for anything more or pout because he's not getting touches. That's a great mentality to have... as a role player.

But that's also what separates him from No. 1 options in the league. Those guys want the ball in big moments and they need to be selfish as times, because it's just sort of built into their DNA. Klay needs more of that to really improve as a player, and until he leaves Golden State or that team loses other core players, I'm not sure he'll ever develop that instinct.
    I agree ... but it also increases his value, just not to teams that want him to be #1.

Quote Originally Posted by WaDe03 View Post
    Which of these guys is Klay better than:

LeBron
    KD
    Curry
    Harden
    Kawhi
    Butler
    Westbrook
    CP3
    AD
    Cousins
    Wall
    IT
    Hayward
    Griffin
    Green
    PG
    Lillard
    Embiid
    Giannis
    Kyrie
    Drummond
    Whiteside
    Horford
    Derozan
    Lowry
    Beal
    CJ
    Oladipo
    Simmons
    Kristaps
    Aldridge
    Towns
    Jokic
    Gasol
    Conley

I don't think all that guys are better but I would say majority are better or right there. Young guys that I think will pass him in the next 2 years at most:

Mitchell (we may have finally found the next Wade)
    Jaylen Brown
    Tatum
    Ingram
    Wiggins
    Lauri (dark horse)

After looking at everyone I would say with confidence he's in the 25-30 range but wouldn't be made at someone who has him in the 20-25 range. Any higher than that then I disagree.
    Are you feeling okay? You left Wade off the list.

The people who say we will forget are usually the people who simply like the guy and WANT people to forget. Everyone will know that the year before he joined they won 73 games and the year before won the title. Everyone will see how good those guys were and their all star teams etc and won't have attachments to the players so see how they struggled outside this situation.

Klay is going to be the one who takes the biggest hit statistically IMO. Mbt is just kinda pointing out what that looks like here when you actually dig into those numbers. It's been downhill since Durant
    The average fan only remembers specific about super-stars. Everyone else's legacy and story fades with time.

Considering a LARGE portion of average NBA fans would take him over Draymond (I would bet the majority of the average NBA fans would take Klay over Draymond) yes he's very overrated. He benefits a ton from playing next to Steph Curry. I think he's easily taken place as one of the most overrated players in the league once people got off Rondo's nuts

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Are you feeling okay? You left Wade off the list.
    He always goes with or without saying.
    RIP lol, please!

8/1/2011 - 01/28/2018

You may not be with us anymore but your name, legacy, and what you stood for will last forever!

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast