Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





View Poll Results: Where does Klay rank among the best players in the league?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Top 10

    1 3.45%
  • 11-15

    4 13.79%
  • 16-20

    11 37.93%
  • 21-25

    8 27.59%
  • 26+

    5 17.24%
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718
Results 256 to 263 of 263
  1. #256
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    Posts
    11,231
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    Klay definitely creates for himself, I think that Stat about how many shots are assisted is misleading because you're not considering what hes actually doing without the ball in his hands. You are overlooking how much pressure he's actually putting on the defense and how he is actually very much creating his own shot by sliding by screens and getting square.

    Klay has been phenomenal in the playoffs since 2015, his defense has been huge. He's constantly been matched up against good guards and he's constantly been up to the task. That's so weird you'd make that comment, as a warriors fan I been very happy with his past 3 playoffs.

    I don't really see what his faults are. That he can't make a defense collapse in? That's like 85% of the league. That's not the player Klay is, don't see how that would be categorized as a weakness
    Don't be frustrated. There are things people forget.

    When talking about basketball players, people often forget two things: context, and that basketball is a team sport.

    With respect to context, people often look at stats without putting them in context. Sure, a lot of Klay's shots are assisted: he's on one of the best passing teams in the league. He plays in a system that requires him to play a certain role. Curry and KD handle the ball more because they are elite players at creating for themselves with the ball in hand, and Curry is elite at making play, and KD is pretty good at that as well.

    The system Kerr runs has three guys who rotate with the ball (Curry, KD, and Green), but EVERY player, Klay included, passes the ball. And EVERY player, Klay included, moves without the ball. Does Klay 'create for himself'? YES!! He does. He's very good at moving without the ball and creating openings for himself. In fact: he is elite in that respect.

    Is he good at creating for himself with the ball in his hand? It's not something he's been required to do. He is competent at it. If a guy is runing at him he knows how to put the ball on the floor (over half of his shots are inside the arc, and he hits more than half of those). Is he elite at that? Likely not. But in moving without the ball and creating openings, he puts significant pressure on the defenses, and he has a 'gravity' of his own that spreads the floor.

    So. Klay creates in a certain way (off the ball) and isn't as good as doing it with the ball. But in his context, he's still creating at an elite level. Criticizing a SG whose primary role is moving without the ball, coming off screens, spreading the floor and knocking down threes, and who does that very well (better than likely almost any other SG in the league) for not 'creating off the dribble' is like criticizing a horror film for not being funny enough. It's a horror film. It's not supposed to be funny.

    That is Klay's context.

    The other is the team setting. If guy were playing one-on-one, I think Harden and Westbrook would both have a relatively easy time beating Klay. However, if you put Westbrook on the Warriors, that team would regress. Having a guy with dupicate skill sets (creating with the ball) isn't going to help Curry and Durant. And having a guy that does that, but not as well as either of them, and who can shoot the 3-ball at an elite level, is going to slow their offense down. Perhaps Harden would be a better fit, but he wouldn't play defense as well, so they give up something there.


    Klay's job is not rebounding. They have rebounders for that. His job is to get back and defend, and pressure the defenses by getting back on offense.

    Klay's job is not creating off the dribble. It's moving without the ball, getting open, and spreading defenses.


    Klay's job is not creating for others. He's not a point guard. He's a shooting guard. His job is to move the ball, which he does very well, take care of the ball, which he also does very well, and create for others by spreading the defense with his 'gravity'.

    But his TEAM needs him to do what Klay does, not what Westbrook or Harden do. Not everybody is the 'ball handle'. Not everybody is the 'creator off the dribble'. Some people have other skill sets that are JUST as important to the TEAM.


    If you want to point other guards 'rebounds per game' and 'assists per game' and count their number of dunks, sure... you'll get guys who are better all-around players than Klay. But you put DM;DR on GSW, or Westbrook, or Harden, and even if these guys are more 'talented' or more skilled all around, they would in all likelihood hinder the Warriors.

    Why? Because this is a team sport, and a collection of great 'individual' performances don't equal a great team. Just ask OCK fans.

    I mean... KD had Westy and Harden already. He didn't win any rings with them. He won quite easily with Klay and Curry.
    Last edited by JasonJohnHorn; 01-20-2018 at 08:18 PM.
    Why did the chicken cross the basketball court?
    Because he heard the refs were blowing fowls.

  2. #257
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    915
    He deserves a bigger role. Durant has taken the limelight in Golden State away from him.

    The Splash Brothers was a cool thing, now it seems like Durant is that guy who butts in between Steph and Klay and that guy in the picture who always stands in the middle of the 2 lol.

  3. #258
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    29,144
    Anyone wondering why I think Thompson is overrated, watch a replay of tonight's basketball game. The guy's disappearing act at times makes Houdini look like an amateur.

    Quote Originally Posted by Giannis94 View Post
    Bucks vs raptors in the ECF. Mark my words.

  4. #259
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    20,218
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    Anyone wondering why I think Thompson is overrated, watch a replay of tonight's basketball game. The guy's disappearing act at times makes Houdini look like an amateur.
    He did disappear ... of course Harden disappears at times too ... actually almost every player ever does.
    MacLean's Law: Everywhere you go there will be a jerk. Corrolary: If you go somewhere by yourself you become a jerk.

    I don't care where anyone chooses to go in free agency. I really don't. Yes, KD "broke" the NBA for a year or two, but I can't blame him for going to the team that fit what he wanted.

    The worst part about the Warriors winning is that now I can't have an opinion without being a "homer" or a "hater". It used to be that dialogue had merit independent of accusations.

  5. #260
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    Posts
    11,231
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    He did disappear ... of course Harden disappears at times too ... actually almost every player ever does.
    As do many other great player. LBJ notoriosuly disapeared int he 4th quarter of the finals against Dallas.

    It happens, and when a guy is sliped into third option, it's more likely because he's not as involved in the offense. I mean... KD disapeared against the Warriros after they went up 3-1.

    This is one of the cases where people are forgetting context. Klay is on a team with not 'two other stars', but two MVPs, guys who, when they retire, will both be ranked top-25 all time. It's like like he's taking a back seat to Kemba Walker and Antoine Walker; he's taking a spot behind two guys who have won MVP awards and who posted 90/50/40 seasons (FT/2pt/3pt).

    So yeah.. in that context, a guy who is likely a better shooter than Ray Allen; a guy who averaged over .400 from the arc each of his first 7 seasons--which as far as I know only two guys have done though I may be mistaken about that--takes a back seat to guys nearly as good as Jordon and Bird.

    So they get the ball first, and sometimes, as a result, Klay doesn't get into a rhythm. So then people say 'he disapears sometimes'. Yes. He does.

    So what.

    It doesn't take away from everything be brings to the table, as CLEARLY demonstrated by the fact that he's helped the team he's played improve every year until setting and NBA record for wins in a season, and has helped him team get to 3-straight finals.

    So... ok... he's not perfect. But I don't know anybody who says he is.

    But SOME people think that saying a guy who is a third option is good, or even great, or even an historically good shooter (quantfiably), is overrating him because he isn't perfect.

    And again... if a guy uses hyperbolic language, like comparing an All-NBA guard to an 'amateur' because he has a bad game here and there, it's more a question of underrating a guy in order to valdiate a flawed argument.

    The fact that words like 'amatuer' are being thrown around to describe Klay highlights that he is most certainly NOT overrated.
    Why did the chicken cross the basketball court?
    Because he heard the refs were blowing fowls.

  6. #261
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    30,771
    This is dumb. This guy always has to defend the other teams best player because Curry can't guard at all. On top of that he's an excellent shooter. Put him in most other teams and he's a solid 25-30ppg with some assists to boot.

    Props.LgnD.

  7. #262
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    Posts
    11,231
    Quote Originally Posted by Havoc Wreaker View Post
    This is dumb. This guy always has to defend the other teams best player because Curry can't guard at all. On top of that he's an excellent shooter. Put him in most other teams and he's a solid 25-30ppg with some assists to boot.
    It does seem to be about as simply as that. He'd certainyl be a 25ppg guy.
    Why did the chicken cross the basketball court?
    Because he heard the refs were blowing fowls.

  8. #263
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    4,536
    Quote Originally Posted by Havoc Wreaker View Post
    This is dumb. This guy always has to defend the other teams best player because Curry can't guard at all. On top of that he's an excellent shooter. Put him in most other teams and he's a solid 25-30ppg with some assists to boot.
    His defense would go down because he'd have to do more on the offensive end. And he'd be double teamed more because he wouldn't have Durant/Curry to take away defenders. Stop Klay, you'd win; now it's stop Durant and Curry, Klay's there as the third option.


    You know how you know you're wrong? When JJH agrees with you.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •