Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Is Stephen Curry more unguardable than Shaq?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes (look at his efficiency).

1 5.26%
  • No (screw efficiency).

18 94.74%
  • Other (ban my account if I don't write player's name in thread).

0 0%
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lol, please View Post
    Im with the majority here and consider Shaq the more dominant player but it's a legit debate and I don't have a huge problem with people picking curry.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
    Don't mind him. He's popped in here twice with the same exact two words. If he lives his life like the way he posts, he's wasting it.

Quote Originally Posted by IKnowHoops View Post
    The 90's would not make him look worse at all. Iverson had no problem getting off shots.

Curry has a sick handle and the best shot ever. Nothing stops that accept hard double teams or Delly.
    Every team back then had a better version of Delly and teams ran Jordan rules on certain players that era as well, which would dock Curry and his efficiency numbers

thing is if you read about Curry you would sware he was shooting 60pct FG and 50pct from 3, but its not like that with the talent stacked for him so I don't think it would go over back in that day if he had to carry a expansion franchise, unless he was drafted around when someone like Penny who already had Shaq on board but if he has to go to a team like Bron/Iverson did and they build the same way which was awful then he would be looked at just like I said he was, a better version of Nash because of his ability to shoot off the bounce but he wasn't the lethal passer as Nash they are pretty much the same outside of Curry actually reaching and winning Finals trips, Curry could shoot like this in any era, as his father could, as Allen/Miller/Person and any other marksmen you can think of but Curry does it better because he doesn't rely on soley running off or needing a screen, his handle is better those those shooters and that more old physical style of handcheck and forearm use would be his kryptonite, he would still get his 3's for sure but I don't think his team success would be like it is now which of course boosts his faÁade ranking

nobody was checking for Curry prior to 15' season, its like these past 3yrs have everyone thinking he was drafted in 14' season and pulled a Duncan and won in his 2nd year

if Curry doesn't get KD he could possibly be 1 for 3 and it still wouldn't change my view of him, best shooter off the bounce but its plenty of players who gave you that feeling every shot was going in, Curry is just the latest edition

Quote Originally Posted by aman_13 View Post
    Explain.
    Shaq's been out of the league basically less than a decade.

We aren't comparing the current era with the 50's here. More is the same, than has changed since 99-00. When we talk about significant differences across eras, we usually mean with regards to the rules and how they affect the game.

I'm so tired of the following two myths:

"It's a 3 point shooting league." Wrong. 1.5 teams, being generous, have seen ultimate success with this formula. Curry is also the greater shooter ever, trying to follow the warriors "formula" is silly because Curry cannot be replicated. You better have data on teams that veer way off the traditional path over at least a decade before you come up with a statement with conviction like that.

"We didn't know the value of the 3 point shot before". Another idiotic statement. The value of the 3 point shot has been obvious since its inception. Just because there weren't many, if ever, shooters who could shoot them so efficiently that for said player it becomes a more efficient and sensible shot (in most, not all) situations, doesn't mean we all of the sudden "just discovered" the value of 3s.

The reality is that we are in an era where the best shooter ever is in his prime, which coincides with the weakest era of Centers. There won't be another Curry, and elite Centers who are efficient at traditional Center tasks will rise sooner or later and basketball will continue by and large as it always has. Due to Currys influence on the league, we will certainly see more of a focus on 3s as players come into the league, but to the point where non 3 point FGs, and traditional bigs are extinct? Laughably narrow minded and naive.

#Dynasty

Quote Originally Posted by europagnpilgrim View Post
    Put Iverson on this Warriors [instead of Curry] and they would be just as scary and play at even a faster pace, Iverson with those weapons getting wide open looks would be scary
    lol, Please' top 10 p4p: Golovkin/Ward/Kovalev/Fury/Lomachenko/Rigondeaux/Gonzalez/Bradley/Rungvisai

Boxing Fan? Come Discuss Boxing!

Quote Originally Posted by lol, please View Post
    Shaq's been out of the league basically less than a decade.

We aren't comparing the current era with the 50's here. More is the same, than has changed since 99-00. When we talk about significant differences across eras, we usually mean with regards to the rules and how they affect the game.

I'm so tired of the following two myths:

"It's a 3 point shooting league." Wrong. 1.5 teams, being generous, have seen ultimate success with this formula. Curry is also the greater shooter ever, trying to follow the warriors "formula" is silly because Curry cannot be replicated. You better have data on teams that veer way off the traditional path over at least a decade before you come up with a statement with conviction like that.

"We didn't know the value of the 3 point shot before". Another idiotic statement. The value of the 3 point shot has been obvious since its inception. Just because there weren't many, if ever, shooters who could shoot them so efficiently that for said player it becomes a more efficient and sensible shot (in most, not all) situations, doesn't mean we all of the sudden "just discovered" the value of 3s.

The reality is that we are in an era where the best shooter ever is in his prime, which coincides with the weakest era of Centers. There won't be another Curry, and elite Centers who are efficient at traditional Center tasks will rise sooner or later and basketball will continue by and large as it always has. Due to Currys influence on the league, we will certainly see more of a focus on 3s as players come into the league, but to the point where non 3 point FGs, and traditional bigs are extinct? Laughably narrow minded and naive.
    Are you ****ing kidding here? Maybe you need to take a break from watching Warriors games for a month or two and take a tour around the NBA. The game is changing and drastically. Bigs who aren't mobile can hardly stay on the floor anymore. Jonas Valanciunas would have been a cornerstone 10-15 years ago, now he can't even get starters minutes despite being extremely productive. You probably should know this considering what a huge Raptor fan you are.

And 3 point attempts have skyrocketed and keep going up and up and up.... this isn't a Curry thing, it's an analytics thing and probably as attributable to Morey as anyone imo. What rock have you been living under?

I find it interesting that even though he didn't make those two points, you chose to respond to them as though he did. Is it because you know where this is going because, well golly, everyone and there uncle knows those things are true?

Ps stop being so literal, of course everyone knew the value of a 3 pointer was 3 points but that's not the same as recognizing that high volume 3 point shooting still tends to win out over teams that are getting "better looks" closer to the basket.

btw, did you watch the Raptors/Warriors last night? 15 years ago both teams Head Coaches would have probably blasted their teams after the game for how they bombed away without discrimination. Now they are being driven by data to do it.
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jamiecballer; 01-14-2018 at 12:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

Quote Originally Posted by IKnowHoops View Post
    So using Tre logic, we can see that David Robinson and Michael Jordan were equally as dominant. Thanks Tre, I'll take it.

And Dream isn't even close lol. You da man Tre! Love that guy!
    Hah. I didn't have the heart to tell him, but I am not a fan of BPM as a stat in the least. If Russell Westbrook is the record holder of said stat (and by a huge margin), then your stat is broken.

Anyway, I've said my piece in this thread. The fact that it devolved into hand checking tales and theoreticals on how to stop him "back in the day when men were men and none of these fancy three point shooters would last!" says enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    btw, did you watch the Raptors/Warriors last night? 15 years ago both teams Head Coaches would have probably blasted their teams after the game for how they bombed away without discrimination. Now they are being driven by data to do it.
    Correction. The are driven by Curry to do it

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    Correction. The are driven by Curry to do it
    nah. the houston rockets have had as much or more to do with that evolution as the most analytically driven front office in the game. IMO.

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

nah. the houston rockets have had as much or more to do with that evolution as the most analytically driven front office in the game. IMO.
    lol, bro! Mark Jackson and Steph Curry made this thing, 2013 playoffs. The year the NBA changed

Back when everyone liked us and wanted to be like us

Is Curry More "Unguardable" Than Shaq?

With today's defense most players are un-guardable.

"Killer Instinct"

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    lol, bro! Mark Jackson and Steph Curry made this thing, 2013 playoffs. The year the NBA changed

Back when everyone liked us and wanted to be like us
    I remember that year! That was the year you guys took the 2nd most 3's in the entire league behind the .... rockets

I remember that year! That was the year you guys took the 2nd most 3's in the entire league behind the .... rockets

If we didn't dominate teams that way no one woulda gave a crap what houston was doing..

probably still wouldn't
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

Jordan and Shaq are unguardable. Curry can shoot you out of a game if he has a bad night and he's had some bad finals games.

Quote Originally Posted by effen5 View Post
    Jordan and Shaq are unguardable. Curry can shoot you out of a game if he has a bad night and he's had some bad finals games.
    I donít remember curry once shooting us out of a game. If itís not dropping he starts dishing it or taking it to the hole..

Just rewatched the cliff-note version of an old Cavs/Celtics playoff game for fun. It's 1992, so when there was no rule against hand-checking. Open offer to anyone who can find a single play where hand-checking was used to stop Mark Price or any other perimeter player: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dqFppllWAo.

Quote Originally Posted by tredigs View Post
    Just rewatched the cliff-note version of an old Cavs/Celtics playoff game for fun. It's 1992, so when there was no rule against hand-checking. Open offer to anyone who can find a single play where hand-checking was used to stop Mark Price or any other perimeter player: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dqFppllWAo.
    I donít know but I be watching early 90ís playoff stuff, Knicks, bulls, Magic, Rox, Spurs, etc, and I def feel the whole hand check thing is a little overblown. Iím not denying it, itís certainly a thing and certainly changes how a ball handler/defender would approach one another, but it doesnít visually seem the game changer everyone talks it up to be

But then again, lots of players do say it makes a diff..

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast