Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

2018 Off-Season Discussion Thread

Discuss all off-season news- trades, free agency, NFL draft- here in this thread.

Should Dennison be let go, I have always been intrigued by Frank Reich as an OC.

1934 1938 1961 2010 2013 2015

Depends on if he was just following the Gameplan given to him or not.

Dennison was McDermott's 3rd pick at OC. McCoy who went to Denver, and I think the OC in LA, turned McDermott down. So based on what we saw, there is nothing that should keep Dennison employed here.

Carolina fired their assistants. We shall see how that plays out. Odds are, McDermott will bring his buddys here.

Frank Reich should get a coaching job. He is praised throughout the league for the job he has done coaching Philly. And I doubt McDermott brings in his eventual replacement to coach the offense. He will probably land a head coaching job somewhere or stay in Philly.

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Depends on if he was just following the Gameplan given to him or not.
    McDermott is a defensive coach. I would assume, like most coaches with his background (at least when they first become HC), that the OC has almost complete control. The same is true with an offensive HC and their DC...at least to start. Some eventually start to manage both sides of the ball (Belichick), some don't (Rex).

Yes, I think Dennison should be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by smood999 View Post
    McDermott is a defensive coach. I would assume, like most coaches with his background (at least when they first become HC), that the OC has almost complete control. The same is true with an offensive HC and their DC...at least to start. Some eventually start to manage both sides of the ball (Belichick), some don't (Rex).

Yes, I think Dennison should be replaced.
    Reich in Philly as OC doesn't call his own plays. That may be the only reason he would want to leave for a lateral position somewhere else.

But as much as the OC do call plays, Dennison absolutely did not take McCoy out of the game and replace him with Tolbert. McDermott would never allow that as head coach. As for goal line situations, again, the head coach makes the crucial calls. Giving the ball to Williams against Miami, McDermott's call, not something Dennison thought of.

As far as QB's being allowed to audible out of a play, Both McDermott and Dennison said around week 5, that Tyrod only has permission to audible between run plays and pass plays. Meaning, he cant switch a run to pass or vice versa. He was only allowed to switch from 1 type of run, to a different run option. All those times that we watched McCoy run into a brick wall, Tyrod saw the line being stacked. HE saw what was about to happen, but because of the coaches, he couldn't audible and do anything about it.

Dennison was fired. I am OK with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Smuggler View Post
    Dennison was fired. I am OK with that.
    What I love is, everyone wants to blame the QB. Yet with the OC being fired, less than a week after the season ended. Meaning, his job was pretty much in doubt all year and they couldn't wait to fire him. This kinda sends the message that the failures on offense were because of the OC. If Dennison was a good OC, keep him. But if he was bad enough to lose his job so quickly, what are they blaming as his downfall. Having WR's run 5 yard hooks on 3rd and 10, which doesn't help Tyrod at all? Running the ball on 2nd and 3rd and 15, but then throwing bombs on 3rd and 2? All things to think about when you try to evaluate the QB.

Quote Originally Posted by sabres11 View Post
    What I love is, everyone wants to blame the QB. Yet with the OC being fired, less than a week after the season ended. Meaning, his job was pretty much in doubt all year and they couldn't wait to fire him. This kinda sends the message that the failures on offense were because of the OC. If Dennison was a good OC, keep him. But if he was bad enough to lose his job so quickly, what are they blaming as his downfall. Having WR's run 5 yard hooks on 3rd and 10, which doesn't help Tyrod at all? Running the ball on 2nd and 3rd and 15, but then throwing bombs on 3rd and 2? All things to think about when you try to evaluate the QB.
    Why is it one or the other? Dennison underwhelmed as OC and Tyrod Taylor is never going to be better than what he is, which is a middle of the pack guy. The Bills can do better than both and thank goodness Brandon Beane believes so.

1934 1938 1961 2010 2013 2015

Reich in Philly as OC doesn't call his own plays. That may be the only reason he would want to leave for a lateral position somewhere else.

But as much as the OC do call plays, Dennison absolutely did not take McCoy out of the game and replace him with Tolbert. McDermott would never allow that as head coach. As for goal line situations, again, the head coach makes the crucial calls. Giving the ball to Williams against Miami, McDermott's call, not something Dennison thought of.

As far as QB's being allowed to audible out of a play, Both McDermott and Dennison said around week 5, that Tyrod only has permission to audible between run plays and pass plays. Meaning, he cant switch a run to pass or vice versa. He was only allowed to switch from 1 type of run, to a different run option. All those times that we watched McCoy run into a brick wall, Tyrod saw the line being stacked. HE saw what was about to happen, but because of the coaches, he couldn't audible and do anything about it.
    That's because Pederson has an offensive background, which is my point. Usually the coordinator that has the opposite background of the HC takes on more responsibility. So in Philly, Schwartz is probably completely responsible for the defense since Pederson was an offensive coach. That's why here people questioned whether McDermott or Frazier will be calling the plays on defense.

None of us are in the locker room or on the sidelines to know exactly when McDermott or Dennison are responsible for things like substitutions or deciding who gets the ball. The famous Super Bowl play where the Seahawks didn't hand it off to Lynch and threw and interception was the OC's call not Carroll. Coordinators do make decisions like that, especially in this case where McDermott isn't an offensive guy and is still learning.

I'm not sure how much freedom Tyrod had, but it was reported later that the 1st and goal play against the Jags was a Run/Pass option. Tyrod chose to throw the ball instead of handing it off to McCoy. Pass interference and three plays later, the Bills had to settle for a FG.
    Last edited by smood999; 01-12-2018 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    Why is it one or the other? Dennison underwhelmed as OC and Tyrod Taylor is never going to be better than what he is, which is a middle of the pack guy. The Bills can do better than both and thank goodness Brandon Beane believes so.
    Also, some of those decisions are on Tyrod and not necessarily the play call. Even if Tyrod didn't have the freedom to audible (which I don't know), he still has options on every play. Meaning those 3rd and 2 bombs, he had a choice. It's rarely ever one WR running deep with no other routes.

Most of this post is just your assumptions.

"Tyrod only has permission to audible between run plays and pass plays". if this is exactly what you read then i belive you are misinterpreting the quote. the above quote leads me to believe he went to the line with 2 options - a pass play and a run play.