Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Just move on to Bettcher.

I'd rather have someone that wants to be here. The longer this drags on the less likely we'll be able to find an adequate replacement and Bettcher is arguably an upgrade anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DamnGoat; 01-11-2018 at 11:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DamnGoat View Post
    Just move on to Bettcher. It seems pretty clear that Vic doesn't want to come back.

I'd rather have someone that wants to be here.

Well AZ can still block him. They're probably just waiting for Shurmur at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBear View Post
    Well AZ can still block him. They're probably just waiting for Shurmur at this point.
    Assuming the Vikings lose, this will all hopefully be resolved by early next week.

I have no problem with Vic wanting to go elsewhere, but holding the Bears hostage like this is kind of a dick move.

Assuming the Vikings lose, this will all hopefully be resolved by early next week.

I have no problem with Vic wanting to go elsewhere, but holding the Bears hostage like this is kind of a dick move.

I agree. It's almost like he's trying to screw us over. Just tell us you're ready to move on.

Vic can’t tell CHI that. What if he tells them that, then Shurmur doesn’t get the job for some crazy reason. Vic is simply playing the waiting game. My guess is CHI knows this as well and is simply waiting for their guy (AZ DC) to become free.

I am like 98% sure both sides know exactly what is going on. Just because you and I don’t know this doesn’t mean they don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What we hear is probably a bit removed from what's going on. I imagine all parties involved (Shurmur, Fangio, Bettcher and Pace/Nagy) have a clearer picture of who goes where in what scenario and are probably ok with it.

Chicago Bears #23
    Kyle "Cheetah" Fuller

Quote Originally Posted by Ron!n View Post
    What we hear is probably a bit removed from what's going on. I imagine all parties involved (Shurmur, Fangio, Bettcher and Pace/Nagy) have a clearer picture of who goes where in what scenario and are probably ok with it.
    I'm okay with it anyway if we end up with Bettcher. His work with Arizona, despite losing Campbell and Jefferson, is very impressive.

I've wanted Vic to stay for the sake of continuity, but there's a decent chance Bettcher is an upgrade here.

Last edited by DamnGoat; 01-12-2018 at 12:39 AM.

The idea that Vic is “holding the Bears hostage” is crazy talk. The Bears can hire a guy to replace him or hold out in hopes of retaining him. Not a dick move at all. The Bears can make whatever choice they want. In the end, the Bears may hire someone else and Vic may regret his decision to bet on himself/the market and have to settle for a less desired job. Are the Bears going to be dicks for not waiting on him when he would have signed in the end? No cause it goes both ways.

Also I would expect that negotiations are much more transparent internally than what is reported to the general public
    Last edited by La_bibbers; 01-12-2018 at 01:05 AM.

What grades do you guys give on this new coaching staff ?

Quote Originally Posted by bears88 View Post
    What grades do you guys give on this new coaching staff ?

HC- Nagy : A

Nagy wasn't my first choice, (DeFilipo was)but that was from an outsider perspective... DeFillipo apparently didn't interview at all like he was truly ready... and Nagy did. He's planning on bringing our offense out of the stoneage and trying to not change the defense.... Probably the best hire we could have made considering DeFilipo's interview apparently not doing well.

QB Coach- Pat O'Hara : C+
    This is the guy I know the least about.... He was there for Watson to be on fire early this year... so there's that.... but if I'm reading his bio right he was also there the year before that when Houston was a total dumpster fire at QB. Rating a C because I just don't really know what to think about him, and giving him a + on it because he's another former QB.

RB Coach- Charles London: D
    He's been Houston's RB coach for a while, and a former Bear. I'm rating this lower mostly because it's hard to think this is an upgrade over what we where currently doing, since we where getting pretty stellar production across the board from our RBs.... Furthermore, I'm a bit concerned about the scheme differential between what Houston does, and what we are likely planning on doing going forward with what is likely to be a much heavier spread scheme.

ST Coach- Chris Tabor: C-
    There's some stats that show him to be decent, and the guy survived multiple GMs/HCs in Cleveland....but I'm having trouble shaking just how happy Browns fans where to see this guy go.... Not really moving the needle for me

OL Coach-Harry Hiestand: A++
    Multiple reports that he's probably the best OL Coach in ANY level of football. Yes please.

OC- Mark Helfrich: A++
    I'm mega bias on this one, but I actually wanted to bring Mark on as a potential HC when we ended up with Fox... Loved the old Chip Kelly/Helfrich Oregon style offense, and I'm thrilled to see what kinds of things he can bring into Nagy's scheme for the pro game.... He's reported to be a fairly brilliant offensive mind, and I think after he eventually crashed and burned in Oregon (recruitment and defense are what brought them down mostly) that there's a good chance he stays content to just be an Offensive Coordinator, providing us with some longevity. Also worth noting that Oregon's offense statistically improved once Chip was out of the way.

In a house in a Coldesac in Lake in the Hills, Il
    @Epyon

The only thing i will say to your grades is about Tabor...... And that is you grade it a C-. Or bellow average.... But that kinda insinuates a downgrade. I mean. Can we really say that our previous coach was good. Or good enough to retain.

I mean. You would have to tell me but who would have as better or given a better grade. And to be fair i never thought Toub was really an option. And Fwiw he worked under Toub his first three years..... If we are getting any % of a toub level of coach it should be praised.

And for any position to have lasted 7 years with the browns. And considering he had come in with schumer back in 2011. Is pretty incredible. Especially more so when you realize that is 4 HCs. And the new guy never brought in a guy they preferred over him.

Hell some of you liked Schumer so would you not trust a former hire of his

I think you could give this move a C if we had somebody you were in love with. But since we didn't.... I think you have to grade it as at least a positive. Not a lateral move.

In a house in a Coldesac in Lake in the Hills, Il
    I will also add. I love what we are doing adding offensive minds and guys who have been around other minds. I remember Nagy talking in the presser how with ried it was like a thinktank of ideas and nobody cared as long as it worked.

Nagy (Andy Ried)
    Helfriech (Chip Kelly)
    O'Hara/London (Bill Obrien)

And add what sounds to be one of the sickest OL coaches in College or Pros

We seem to have a think tank who should be able to draw up a a hand full of good to great plays for a young QB

Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    The idea that Vic is “holding the Bears hostage” is crazy talk. The Bears can hire a guy to replace him or hold out in hopes of retaining him. Not a dick move at all. The Bears can make whatever choice they want. In the end, the Bears may hire someone else and Vic may regret his decision to bet on himself/the market and have to settle for a less desired job. Are the Bears going to be dicks for not waiting on him when he would have signed in the end? No cause it goes both ways.

Also I would expect that negotiations are much more transparent internally than what is reported to the general public
    They could have hired a guy early in the week to replace him had they known he didn't want to stay (which definitely feels like where this is headed). Pettine and Bradley were out there. Bettcher is the best of what's left, but he's not a FA until the AZ vacancy is resolved.

I don't want the Bears to get stuck with a much worse DC because this dragged on a week or so longer than it should have.

Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast