Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2018 NFL Draft

2018 NFL Draft

The Bills now own picks #21 and #22 in the 1st round. I will edit this post when the draft order is finalized.

This season was a great first step. Now itís time for a QB and to replenish the talent lost.

This could be a very pivotal offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by smood999 View Post
    This season was a great first step. Now itís time for a QB and to replenish the talent lost.

This could be a very pivotal offseason.
    This whole season was about changing the culture in Buffalo and it was a great success. This is indeed a pivotal off-season. The time to be bold is now. The front office must set their sights on a QB and go get him!

I just cant see a QB being drafted. Even if Mayfield drops, which he might, he is the type of person McDermott has been staying away from. I think were going to see Alex Smith in a Bills uniform next season with Peterman backing him up. Will that be better than what we have now, that depends on what the Bills do in the draft and free agency. We need WR's and offensive line help badly.

Now I am not saying Tyrod is the best QB to play the game. But what everyone has to remember is, his first season in Buffalo, he led the league at throwing and completing passes over 25 yards. Better than every QB in the league. So the question is, did his ability regress, or did the players and the coaching staff around him regress?

Yes, we have seen a lot of overthrows. But are these overthrows on Tyrod, or are these overthrows on the WR's not being quick enough to create separation? A lot of those throws were just a step or two in front of the WR's. Again, his first year, with that team of WR's Tyrod had, he led the league in throws and completions of 25-yards or longer. After seeing the drops, the pressures, I cant see any other QB in the league having to much success here.

The past two seasons, we have definitely downgraded are receiving corps, so us fans can debate where the problem truly lies all we want, but the fact is, whoever our QB is next season, we better have a line to protect him and we better give him better WR's to throw to.

So I'm fine with bringing in a new QB. I think Tyrod's psychy is damaged beyond repair to stay here in Buffalo. So this draft has to be focused on helping our new QB succeed. Get offensive line help. After that, get defensive line run stoppers. Give our new QB a defense that will provide a few extra 3 and outs, which will create more opportunities for him on offense. With a healthy Benjamin and even Jordan Mathews next season, go out and get 2 more WR's. At this point, Zay Jones is a project. He cannot be depended on next season to be an offensive weapon for our QB. For anyone who is sold on Zay Jones being a star here, I would love to know what your basing it on. Our secondary is very good. They will be even better if we had defensive lineman, that hurried the opposing QB to make mistakes throwing down field. Against Jax, we should have had 3 INTs. The pressure just wasn't enough, to stun Bortles badly.

Carolina just fired Mike Shula and Ken Dorsey. Anyone want to bet that they are on their way to Buffalo.

Quote Originally Posted by sabres11 View Post
    I just cant see a QB being drafted. Even if Mayfield drops, which he might, he is the type of person McDermott has been staying away from. I think were going to see Alex Smith in a Bills uniform next season with Peterman backing him up. Will that be better than what we have now, that depends on what the Bills do in the draft and free agency. We need WR's and offensive line help badly.

Now I am not saying Tyrod is the best QB to play the game. But what everyone has to remember is, his first season in Buffalo, he led the league at throwing and completing passes over 25 yards. Better than every QB in the league. So the question is, did his ability regress, or did the players and the coaching staff around him regress?

Yes, we have seen a lot of overthrows. But are these overthrows on Tyrod, or are these overthrows on the WR's not being quick enough to create separation? A lot of those throws were just a step or two in front of the WR's. Again, his first year, with that team of WR's Tyrod had, he led the league in throws and completions of 25-yards or longer. After seeing the drops, the pressures, I cant see any other QB in the league having to much success here.

The past two seasons, we have definitely downgraded are receiving corps, so us fans can debate where the problem truly lies all we want, but the fact is, whoever our QB is next season, we better have a line to protect him and we better give him better WR's to throw to.

So I'm fine with bringing in a new QB. I think Tyrod's psychy is damaged beyond repair to stay here in Buffalo. So this draft has to be focused on helping our new QB succeed. Get offensive line help. After that, get defensive line run stoppers. Give our new QB a defense that will provide a few extra 3 and outs, which will create more opportunities for him on offense. With a healthy Benjamin and even Jordan Mathews next season, go out and get 2 more WR's. At this point, Zay Jones is a project. He cannot be depended on next season to be an offensive weapon for our QB. For anyone who is sold on Zay Jones being a star here, I would love to know what your basing it on. Our secondary is very good. They will be even better if we had defensive lineman, that hurried the opposing QB to make mistakes throwing down field. Against Jax, we should have had 3 INTs. The pressure just wasn't enough, to stun Bortles badly.
    You sell out for a QB, period. No position in the game is more important. Strengthening the WRs or the OL isn't going to make an average QB better. Nothing else matters in this draft. You pay the price to land Rosen or Darnold.

Let's keep in mind the Cap space we have this year. I'd like to see a solid Lineman brought in through FA. if we add one solid contributor to the right side of the line then that changes things. Are any good WR's going to hit the market? I'm just trying to gauge how much we can commit to a QB in the draft by filling holes in FA.

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Let's keep in mind the Cap space we have this year. I'd like to see a solid Lineman brought in through FA. if we add one solid contributor to the right side of the line then that changes things. Are any good WR's going to hit the market? I'm just trying to gauge how much we can commit to a QB in the draft by filling holes in FA.
    Terrelle Pryor, who had a very disappointing season in Washington. Sammy Watkins (lol), Taylor Gabriel, Kamar Aiken, Kendall Wright, and my personal favorite Donte Moncrief.

The ability to throw the ball down the field with accuracy doesn't go very far when said QB can't find wide open receivers. Every Sunday we see Tyrod leave a multitude of plays on the field. He did it this past Sunday in Jacksonville. He is what he is and it's silly to keep having this debate. The Buffalo Bills will never be a perennial playoff contenders or make a deep run with him. That is the ultimate goal, is it not?

I would be all for bringing watkins back on a one year prove-it deal. Doubt that happens though.

I am probably in the minority, but I didn't think tyrod was our main problem. Our play calling and ability for WRs to get open + actually catch hurt us.

Darnold could be a mega bust. I need to read up more on josh allen. Rosen does not seem like a culture fit. I wouldn't be shocked if they stand pat, and take mason rudolph.

We need to draft a shady heir-apparent, no doubt.

I think Allen Robinson could be available too, but I assume there will be lots of suitors for him as well

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    The ability to throw the ball down the field with accuracy doesn't go very far when said QB can't find wide open receivers. Every Sunday we see Tyrod leave a multitude of plays on the field. He did it this past Sunday in Jacksonville. He is what he is and it's silly to keep having this debate. The Buffalo Bills will never be a perennial playoff contenders or make a deep run with him. That is the ultimate goal, is it not?
    As I said, In his first year, he led the league, no QB in the entire league was better, at completions of 25 yards or more. And that isn't run after catch. That is when the ball sailed 25 yards or more, no other QB had more than him.

Then, our WR core got very weak. After the injuries to our starters, we are tried to fill the void with Hankerson, Salas, and a bunch of other scrubs who weren't playing in the NFL anymore before the Bills garbage picked them, and didn't play in the NFL after the Bills released them. Not to mention, how awful the line is.

Here is a great number for everyone, Woods and Incognito combined for 10 penalties this year, negating over 150 yards rushing for McCoy. Against Jax, Deonte Thompson got a holding penalty, taking away McCoys run that would of given us the ball at their 25, instead of our 45 yard line. All of this lead to punts, killed drives, taken FG's opportunities away from the team.

Again, not saying Tyrod is the greatest of all time, but the fact is, he threw the ball with accuracy his first year, so the regression may be on the team around him, not on him solely. People ignore the fact that if our WR's were just a step faster, a lot of those overthrows would be caught. And if a lot of those overthrows were a step shorter, then a lot of those passes would be intercepted.

I made a 100 bet with a friend. I wonder how many of you would have taken this bet. I bet 100 bucks, that no matter where Tyrod goes, and no matter who our QB is, Tyrod will have better numbers. Who here would take that bet?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Smuggler View Post
    I would be all for bringing watkins back on a one year prove-it deal. Doubt that happens though.

I am probably in the minority, but I didn't think tyrod was our main problem. Our play calling and ability for WRs to get open + actually catch hurt us.

Darnold could be a mega bust. I need to read up more on josh allen. Rosen does not seem like a culture fit. I wouldn't be shocked if they stand pat, and take mason rudolph.

We need to draft a shady heir-apparent, no doubt.
    We both are in the minority. Some fans look at those snapshots of the all 22 and they actually believe the WR's were open, because of the snapshot. In real time, it is not the case. I can take a snap shot of every single play, with every single QB in the league, and then say, wow, look at all the open WR's they missed.

Tony Romo even pointed it out against Jax on that one play, when he said, " if you look here, it looks like he missed this WR who is wide open, however, if you run the play in real time, Calais Cambell broke free and was coming straight for Tyrod, causing him to run in the opposite direction. The WR was open after the play broke down.

For anyone to think that a new QB, who will no doubt be 100 times slower than Tyrod, playing behind this line with these WR's, will do better, astounds me. Jax who had WR injuries as well, were way better off with Cole, Mickens, Westbrook, then who the Bills had on their roster at the position for two years. Those three are way better than anyone we have had here. But people here will probably think that Bortles made them all look good. With Hurns, Lee and Robinson injured, each of those three stepped up and had 100 yard games throughout the season. Who on this team ever stepped up?

Id like for someone to tell us the last time we saw one of our WR's make an outstanding dive for a catch? When was the last time we saw our WR make a one handed catch. Or any type of highlight real catch? Are we thinking Tyrod was so putrid, our WR's didn't have a chance to, or are we going to start seeing the light and realize, this group of WR's are way to slow and not good enough to make a good catch. Some people here think Zay Jones will be fine. Not based on how many times he dropped the ball, or based on the fact that the Bills threw him one pass in the last three games because he cant be trusted, but their feelings that he will be fine is based on the rookie years of other HOF WR's to play the game. Now that's funny.
    Last edited by sabres11; 01-11-2018 at 03:19 PM.

As I said, In his first year, he led the league, no QB in the entire league was better, at completions of 25 yards or more. And that isn't run after catch. That is when the ball sailed 25 yards or more, no other QB had more than him.

Then, our WR core got very weak. After the injuries to our starters, we are tried to fill the void with Hankerson, Salas, and a bunch of other scrubs who weren't playing in the NFL anymore before the Bills garbage picked them, and didn't play in the NFL after the Bills released them. Not to mention, how awful the line is.

Here is a great number for everyone, Woods and Incognito combined for 10 penalties this year, negating over 150 yards rushing for McCoy. Against Jax, Deonte Thompson got a holding penalty, taking away McCoys run that would of given us the ball at their 25, instead of our 45 yard line. All of this lead to punts, killed drives, taken FG's opportunities away from the team.

Again, not saying Tyrod is the greatest of all time, but the fact is, he threw the ball with accuracy his first year, so the regression may be on the team around him, not on him solely. People ignore the fact that if our WR's were just a step faster, a lot of those overthrows would be caught. And if a lot of those overthrows were a step shorter, then a lot of those passes would be intercepted.

I made a 100 bet with a friend. I wonder how many of you would have taken this bet. I bet 100 bucks, that no matter where Tyrod goes, and no matter who our QB is, Tyrod will have better numbers. Who here would take that bet?
    He's a one trick pony. We all knew this. That's why some of us believed losing their WRs from previous years were a big deal. He doesn't have that anymore. Even still, just because he can throw the ball deep...that's just one aspect of passing. They need a QB that can throw their WRs open, a QB willing to throw into tight windows, and a QB that can make every throw.

You tried to make that same bet with our WR group last year and saying it wouldn't have made a difference losing them this year. Now you're saying the Bills WRs are terrible. I completely agree with you, but you couldn't see that then. Hogan, Goodwin, and Woods have all left the Bills to have better success without Tyrod. It's not just with QBs like Brady. It's Goff and Garappolo as well. What does that tell you? You've always leaned on Tyrod not having enough weapons. Why are those same players good enough for other QBs?

We both are in the minority. Some fans look at those snapshots of the all 22 and they actually believe the WR's were open, because of the snapshot. In real time, it is not the case. I can take a snap shot of every single play, with every single QB in the league, and then say, wow, look at all the open WR's they missed.

Tony Romo even pointed it out against Jax on that one play, when he said, " if you look here, it looks like he missed this WR who is wide open, however, if you run the play in real time, Calais Cambell broke free and was coming straight for Tyrod, causing him to run in the opposite direction. The WR was open after the play broke down.

For anyone to think that a new QB, who will no doubt be 100 times slower than Tyrod, playing behind this line with these WR's, will do better, astounds me. Jax who had WR injuries as well, were way better off with Cole, Mickens, Westbrook, then who the Bills had on their roster at the position for two years. Those three are way better than anyone we have had here. But people here will probably think that Bortles made them all look good. With Hurns, Lee and Robinson injured, each of those three stepped up and had 100 yard games throughout the season. Who on this team ever stepped up?

Id like for someone to tell us the last time we saw one of our WR's make an outstanding dive for a catch? When was the last time we saw our WR make a one handed catch. Or any type of highlight real catch? Are we thinking Tyrod was so putrid, our WR's didn't have a chance to, or are we going to start seeing the light and realize, this group of WR's are way to slow and not good enough to make a good catch. Some people here think Zay Jones will be fine. Not based on how many times he dropped the ball, or based on the fact that the Bills threw him one pass in the last three games because he cant be trusted, but their feelings that he will be fine is based on the rookie years of other HOF WR's to play the game. Now that's funny.
    So basically you want WRs to bail out Tyrod. The game doesn't work that way. It's a two way street. Tyrod also has to give them one on one chances which he doesn't. Benjamin will be a waste if the Bills keep Tyrod around because he's they type of WR.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast