Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2018 NFL Draft

Also, drafting a QB isn't about being better next year. It's about being better long term. It was great making the playoffs, but that is not the goal.

Quote Originally Posted by smood999 View Post
    So basically you want WRs to bail out Tyrod. The game doesn't work that way. It's a two way street. Tyrod also has to give them one on one chances which he doesn't. Benjamin will be a waste if the Bills keep Tyrod around because he's they type of WR.
    If wide recievers cant get open, If wide Receivers keep dropping passes, they can definitely sink a QB, so the same could be told by helping the QB. You think Jim Kelly did it all by himself. Your crazy to think that. Andre Reed made spectacular one handed diving catches all the time. And with Reich as QB, that comeback was all about Andre Reed's amazing 3 TDs. Don Beebe was so fast, picture someone quicker than Goodwin, but with superglue on his hands and caught everything. As far as TE's. Pete Metzleraars was one of the best TE's there ever was. Stats and TD's dont paint the picture all the time. Metz made unbelievable snags.

Bills this year were amongst the top in the league with dropped passes. Last in the league to get open. But lets blame it all on the QB. I remember having this same argument, but with the shoe on a different foot with Fitzpatrick. I said he sucked while for some reason, everyone loved him.

Quote Originally Posted by smood999 View Post
    Also, drafting a QB isn't about being better next year. It's about being better long term. It was great making the playoffs, but that is not the goal.
    I would be all in for drafting a QB. Do I think it will happen, no. As much as we may not like Peterman, the coach loves him. The coaches biggest move this season was making a statement by how much he loved Peterman, by starting him against LA, even with it possibly jeopardizing the playoffs. That was a huge statement.

So now we think they will draft his eventual replacement? Drafting a QB makes a statement that says McDermott was wrong about Peterman. Makes the statement that he was stupid to play him. That is why, we wont see a QB drafted. They are going to draft and fix the problems on this team that they feel will help Peterman succeed. There is no way anyone on 1 Bills Dr. thinks that a rookie will shine with these WR's and behind this line.

Quote Originally Posted by sabres11 View Post
    I would be all in for drafting a QB. Do I think it will happen, no. As much as we may not like Peterman, the coach loves him. The coaches biggest move this season was making a statement by how much he loved Peterman, by starting him against LA, even with it possibly jeopardizing the playoffs. That was a huge statement.

So now we think they will draft his eventual replacement? Drafting a QB makes a statement that says McDermott was wrong about Peterman. Makes the statement that he was stupid to play him. That is why, we wont see a QB drafted. They are going to draft and fix the problems on this team that they feel will help Peterman succeed. There is no way anyone on 1 Bills Dr. thinks that a rookie will shine with these WR's and behind this line.
    Dude, you've been going on and on about Peterman and nobody believes the Bills are as enamored with him as you say. Beane is going to draft a QB and he's going to do it early.

1934 1938 1961 2010 2013 2015

If wide recievers cant get open, If wide Receivers keep dropping passes, they can definitely sink a QB, so the same could be told by helping the QB. You think Jim Kelly did it all by himself. Your crazy to think that. Andre Reed made spectacular one handed diving catches all the time. And with Reich as QB, that comeback was all about Andre Reed's amazing 3 TDs. Don Beebe was so fast, picture someone quicker than Goodwin, but with superglue on his hands and caught everything. As far as TE's. Pete Metzleraars was one of the best TE's there ever was. Stats and TD's dont paint the picture all the time. Metz made unbelievable snags.

Bills this year were amongst the top in the league with dropped passes. Last in the league to get open. But lets blame it all on the QB. I remember having this same argument, but with the shoe on a different foot with Fitzpatrick. I said he sucked while for some reason, everyone loved him.
    I agree with you about the lack of WR talent. My question was more so why couldn't Watkins, Woods, Goodwin, and Hogan be enough for him when they are now key players in some of the best offenses in the league. He's had his fair share of weapons, just not a capable enough passer to use them.

As far as Benjamin, it's known that he isn't a WR that creates separation. He can almost serve as a crutch for inaccurate QBs, but Tyrod didn't use him because he plays it safe and doesn't throw into tight windows or give his WRs chances to make plays. Big difference with how Cam Newton used Benjamin and how Tyrod does. Benjamin is a good WR, but he's a very specific kind of WR. Tyrod needs speedsters and good route runners like what the Bills had before.

Jordan Matthews was also a WR that lacked the skills to create separation, which is why some of us said there will be a noticeable drop off going to him and Jones from what we had before. That's also why Matthews was put in the slot and why he doesn't command double teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    Dude, you've been going on and on about Peterman and nobody believes the Bills are as enamored with him as you say. Beane is going to draft a QB and he's going to do it early.
    Even if he doesn't... that says a lot more about how they feel about the holes on the team and Tyrod's ability to improve than it does about Peterman.

He was a 5th round draft pick. There are no expectations for him. If he becomes a long term back up, it was a successful pick at that point, so no one was wrong about him.

That was all about seeing what they had in Peterman to determine what they wanted to do moving forward. That wasn't because the Bills love him. They were just doing their due diligence. The timing of it was horrible though.

I am not saying I want this to happen, but I would not be shocked if the Bills traded our two firsts, a 2nd, and Cordy Glenn to the Giants to move up to #2 to take Rosen/Darnold. Giants new GM has those good ole Carolina ties. I am typically against selling the farm. Neither of these guys is the next Andrew Luck.

There are lots of QBs in this draft, it will come down to Buffalo trying to find 'their guy' and if he gets taken before they can draft him, then I'd rather have them stay put and draft best player available.

I'd much rather prefer Alex Smith (or Tyrod) and some stud draft picks than a rookie QB with the same roster as last year (sans FA signings).

Standing pat is how the Bills got J.P. Losman in a draft that featured Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, and Ben Roethlisberger when they had two 1st round picks to work with. You sell out for a QB and the longer you wait, the more you significantly reduce your chances of landing a difference maker. Rosen and Darnold aren't Luck, but they are both significantly better than any other QB in the draft. Rosen especially.

Paxton Lynch (26th): Failing
    Christian Hackenberg (51st): Irrelevant

Johnny Manziel (22nd): Failed

EJ Manuel (16th): Failed
    Geno Smith (39th): Failed

Ryan Tannehill (8th): Slightly Above-Average Starter

Jake Locker (8th): Failed
    Blaine Gabbert (10th): Failed

Jimmy Clausen (48th): Failed

Josh Freeman (17th): Failed

A lot of these guys were popular picks coming into the draft amongst Bills fans. A lot of them had nice college careers and impressed at the combine. The bottom line is, your best bet at finding a QB to lead your team for 10+ years is in the Top 5 and occasionally Top 10-15 in a very strong QB class. All the talk about fixing holes and how that's going to improve this team is bunk. You don't win consistently without one of the top QBs in the league, period. That's why the same guys are always in the playoffs.

And when you sell the farm to trade up into the top 2 or 3 to pick a QB, and that guy is a bust, your franchise is set back 3 years.

Without doing enough research, the only QB from what I know so far, that is worth doing that for in this draft is Rosen. And, he does not seem like a mcdermott/culture fit.

Darnold scares me to death, lots of turnovers.

Josh Allen intrigues me.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Smuggler View Post
    And when you sell the farm to trade up into the top 2 or 3 to pick a QB, and that guy is a bust, your franchise is set back 3 years.
    That's simply not true. Count the number of guys selected in the 1st and 2nd round that were on the Bills playoff roster this season.

1st: Shaq Lawson
    2nd: Reggie Ragland

1st: No pick
    2nd: Ronald Darby

1st: Sammy Watkins
    2nd: Cyrus Kouandijo

1st: EJ Manuel
    2nd: Robert Woods
    2nd: Kiko Alonso

1st: Stephon Gilmore
    2nd: Cordy Glenn

1st: Marcell Dareus
    2nd: Aaron Williams

1st: CJ Spiller
    2nd: Torell Troup

Right. The above shows how we have drafted somewhat poorly and have been stuck in purgatory in the years leading up to this playoff year.

If the Bills are planning on moving on from Tyrod, the Bills should wait and see what happens to AJ McCarron from Cinci. If the arbitrator rules that he is an unrestricted free agent, sign him. I am sure now that I brought his name up, everyone will either be an expert on how bad or good he will be in the NFL. My opinion is, He will be pretty dam good and I wouldn't be surprised if New England goes after him hard.

Then use our first two picks on either the best pass rusher or offensive lineman available. Then hit up free agency and also get the best pass rusher and lineman available. We don't want to trade away our assets to take a chance on one of these rookies in college. Not to say they wont be great, but the cost to get them will leave us with no picks and we will have the same offensive line and as Profucus football rated us, the worse Wide Receiver group in the NFL. We could trade all our picks for the best QB available, even if the QB was set to become the next Tom Brady, but with the turnstiles we have on the line protecting for him, odds are he will be destroyed and soon to be injury prone. We all watched Tyrod run for his life that past two years. Then we watched at Peterman played and because he is isn't fast, he was intensely pressured. We cant afford to go all in on a QB at the cost of getting rid of our picks.
    Last edited by sabres11; 01-19-2018 at 12:59 PM.

whats stopping us from spending on OL in FA?

personally id prefer FA OL because we have a better read on what we're getting.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast