Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by IRNMN View Post
    I was thinking the same thing, but from the rest of the article the rest of the information seems pretty legit. A huge amount of sources have Ball as the favorite and it only makes sense he appoints one of the two to stick around for personnel matters. McCarthy and Ball have been in contact since KC days. The only potential rift I could see is if he saw Ball as the reason for the penny pinching habits of Thompson which is really the only time I have heard McCarthy speak bluntly critical of an executive.

I don't doubt the Ball/Gutekust stuff, but like you mention the move towards Ball seems pro-MM, not the other way.
    Jason Wilde is the one that backed McGinn on this while also pointing at the fact that Rodgers is not a fan of Ball.

Seems to be some truth in this if both of those guys are backing that notion.

Quote Originally Posted by hallzi43 View Post
    Jason Wilde is the one that backed McGinn on this while also pointing at the fact that Rodgers is not a fan of Ball.

Seems to be some truth in this if both of those guys are backing that notion.
    Which I think should be a massive red flag if true. However, I don't think the Packers are completly set quite yet with this choice as they are still rumored to be interviewing Whaley and trying to get one with DeCosta, McKenzie was requested for an interview.

The more **** i read the less excited i am about the changes now and the more i am starting to wonder if Murphy is the one who needs to be replaced as well. It's nice the Packers don't have some crazy owner but at the same time it feels like there's no one to hold guys like Murphy responsible for anything.

So it sounds like the Packers will get that interview with Patton the ast. GM for the vikes, they can delay it but not deny the interview. I'll post the article when I get a chance.

Thatís what I heard as well. Basically, if your team is still in the playoffs, you can block an interview, even if itís for a promotion. But once youíre eliminated, you canít block an interview.

I know people dislike McCarthy, but having him around is actually a major blessing in this case. Thereís not a ton of gm jobs open this year, so we can be patient. One of the biggest reasons teams rush their gm hiring process is because if they also need to hire a coach, they want to get their GM hired before all of the good coaches get hired. Typically, non playoff teams are the ones interviewing for new coaches, so that process has begun. If we were also looking for a head coach, we couldnít afford to wait for Patton or anyone else. We probably would have already hired someone or would need to hire someone within the next few days. Itís still possible we hire someone in the next few days, but we donít need to, espeically since mike is probably building the defensive staff anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Thatís what I heard as well. Basically, if your team is still in the playoffs, you can block an interview, even if itís for a promotion. But once youíre eliminated, you canít block an interview.

I know people dislike McCarthy, but having him around is actually a major blessing in this case. Thereís not a ton of gm jobs open this year, so we can be patient. One of the biggest reasons teams rush their gm hiring process is because if they also need to hire a coach, they want to get their GM hired before all of the good coaches get hired. Typically, non playoff teams are the ones interviewing for new coaches, so that process has begun. If we were also looking for a head coach, we couldnít afford to wait for Patton or anyone else. We probably would have already hired someone or would need to hire someone within the next few days. Itís still possible we hire someone in the next few days, but we donít need to, espeically since mike is probably building the defensive staff anyways.
    Yeah basically that was it, and I'm not sure how likely it is they are interested in Patton is more than likely due diligence more than anything also never hurts to get under your rivals skin as well.

I agree having MM here is a a major blessing in that front. He's got more pull around here than most people think and if the MM Ball rift is real I would think that's a huge blow to Balls case as GM. I digress, i agree Having MM allows them to do their homework and get the very best guy in here.

I agree with crew & IRNMN if McCarthy quits I think things can quickly get out of control in GB.

Not sure it is entirely based on playoffs. Lions blocked us from interviewing one of their guys. I think it is more to do with guys under contract.

Either way, the interest is now said to be for Schneider. But Green Bay would likely have to give a 2nd or 3rd round pick in order to achieve him from Seattle.

Not sure it is entirely based on playoffs. Lions blocked us from interviewing one of their guys. I think it is more to do with guys under contract.
    Thatís for lateral moves. Seahawks can deny permission for Schneider to interview to be GM since itís a lateral move. Vikes cannot deny access to Patton after playoffs since he would be promoted to GM.

Same goes for head coaches. You can deny guys interviewing for positional coaches and coordinators, but you canít deny your coordinators from interviewing for head coaching gigs once youíre out of the playoffs. The whole request permission thing is for playoff teams. So a team will request permission to interview a josh McDaniels type while NE is still in the playoffs. But once New England is eliminated or the playoffs are done, New England can no longer block.

The lions blocked us from interviewing their DC, but that was because it would have been for our DC spot.
    Last edited by crewfan13; 01-06-2018 at 12:36 PM.

Either way, the interest is now said to be for Schneider. But Green Bay would likely have to give a 2nd or 3rd round pick in order to achieve him from Seattle.
    Schneider seems like a good move, but heís had a hand in some questionable moves lately. Itís hard to say how much blame is on him, since Carroll is involved in personnel as well. But the graham trade was a loss for Seattle in my mind. The Richardson trade didnít pay off and now Seattle risks having to overpay him to save face. They continued to hit their draft for Duane brown, as a panic move after ignoring OL for years. Their roster is aging and doesnít have a bunch of young studs waiting in the wings. And they donít really have cash much cash to spend unless they release guys like Sherman. Thereís definitely an arguement that their roster is in worse shape than ours.

Schneider seems like a good move, but heís had a hand in some questionable moves lately. Itís hard to say how much blame is on him, since Carroll is involved in personnel as well. But the graham trade was a loss for Seattle in my mind. The Richardson trade didnít pay off and now Seattle risks having to overpay him to save face. They continued to hit their draft for Duane brown, as a panic move after ignoring OL for years. Their roster is aging and doesnít have a bunch of young studs waiting in the wings. And they donít really have cash much cash to spend unless they release guys like Sherman. Thereís definitely an arguement that their roster is in worse shape than ours.
    You have to like the fact that they continue to make moves for high profile players though even if they are swinging and missing.

They have also kept the core of their defense together for quite some time. Eventually it was going to fall apart with age. (Part of it was more bad luck)

But Sherman, Wagner, Thomas, Chancellor, Bennett have been quite the stable defense in the league.

Everything I've read says Seattle declined permission to let him interview. Wouldn't mind seeing this though.

You have to like the fact that they continue to make moves for high profile players though even if they are swinging and missing.

They have also kept the core of their defense together for quite some time. Eventually it was going to fall apart with age. (Part of it was more bad luck)

But Sherman, Wagner, Thomas, Chancellor, Bennett have been quite the stable defense in the league.
    How was it bad luck? Injuries? You can argue the packers have had a lot more bad luck, since the super bowl they have lost Collins, shields and Finley to career ending injuries and a guy like bishop, while not a career ended, never really played at even a mediocre level again.

What it comes down to is the seahawks had 3 good drafts in a row that netted them Thomas, kam, Wilson, Wagner and others. They did a very nice job of supplementing that roster, while those players are on cheap, rookie deals, with vets like Avril and Bennett. He deserves credit for whatever part in that he played. I donít want to downplay that at all.

But since then what has he done? Their drafts have been okay, but they arenít exactly beaming with young pro bowlers either. Look at their drafts since 2013. I think the only pro bowler they drafted in that time is ty Lockett as a return man. So itís not like they are exactly crushing it on that front. In fact, I think their drafts have been worse off than ours by a comfortable margin.

And what big FA/trades have they made in that time? Like I said, the graham trade seems like a loss to me. But at best it was a wash. The Richardson trade wasnít good in my mind (missed the playoffs and lost a 2nd rounder) that they could risk compounding if they overpay him. The brown trade is too early to tell, but heís had some injuries and they lost another pick. They basically have very few picks this year and an aging roster. And other moves, like signing guys like lacy have been misses too.

Iím not saying Iím opposed to Schneider, but I donít think a 2nd rounder is neccesarily a steal for us. A lot of folks say ted has lived his whole career off of the rodgers pick. And if you believe that, then I donít see how you can be excited by Schneider. Heís been mediocre at best since hitting on Wilson and signing Bennett.

How was it bad luck? Injuries? You can argue the packers have had a lot more bad luck, since the super bowl they have lost Collins, shields and Finley to career ending injuries and a guy like bishop, while not a career ended, never really played at even a mediocre level again.

What it comes down to is the seahawks had 3 good drafts in a row that netted them Thomas, kam, Wilson, Wagner and others. They did a very nice job of supplementing that roster, while those players are on cheap, rookie deals, with vets like Avril and Bennett. He deserves credit for whatever part in that he played. I donít want to downplay that at all.

But since then what has he done? Their drafts have been okay, but they arenít exactly beaming with young pro bowlers either. Look at their drafts since 2013. I think the only pro bowler they drafted in that time is ty Lockett as a return man. So itís not like they are exactly crushing it on that front. In fact, I think their drafts have been worse off than ours by a comfortable margin.

And what big FA/trades have they made in that time? Like I said, the graham trade seems like a loss to me. But at best it was a wash. The Richardson trade wasnít good in my mind (missed the playoffs and lost a 2nd rounder) that they could risk compounding if they overpay him. The brown trade is too early to tell, but heís had some injuries and they lost another pick. They basically have very few picks this year and an aging roster. And other moves, like signing guys like lacy have been misses too.

Iím not saying Iím opposed to Schneider, but I donít think a 2nd rounder is neccesarily a steal for us. A lot of folks say ted has lived his whole career off of the rodgers pick. And if you believe that, then I donít see how you can be excited by Schneider. Heís been mediocre at best since hitting on Wilson and signing Bennett.
    Certainly we have fell under our own bad luck as well. And I really shouldn't say bad luck. Injuries are a part of the game. And Bennett's situation isn't exactly "bad luck". But regardless he has retained that defensive core together. Which certainly what Thompson has tried to do as well with our team. Retaining our own.

Weren't you beaming lately about us picking up Graham in Green Bay in the offseason? I don't know that it was a huge miss for them. He has been one of their best targets besides Baldwin this season. Especially in the Red Zone.

He traded for Marshawn Lynch. That turned out pretty nice.

This season he traded for Richardson and Brown. Both of those were solid pickups.

He added both Freeney and Jordan in FA. Jordan was down 2/3rds the season with a knee injury and Freeney wound up being released mid season. Also took a flier on Lacy which was a miss.

The idea though remains. Despite hitting on this guy or missing on this guy, he is trying to build a winning franchise around Wilson now.

As far as drafts go, Shaquill Griffin turned out pretty nice this season and they didn't have a first round pick. Lockett and Procise have been serviceable. He drafted running backs Alex Collins (Baltimore starter) and Spencer Ware (KC Backup to Hunt).

And then you go back as far as 2012 you got Irvin, Wagner, Wilson, Lane. 2011 you get Sherman, Maxwell, and Wright. 2010 you get Thomas, Chancellor, and Tate.

Anyways, I don't think I need to go beyond this. Ted Thompson for all his draft experience has hit and missed on a ton of draft picks as well. They all do. But my point is that he isn't sitting back waiting for Wilson to pass his prime. He is making moves.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast