Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    You can cross off McKenzie off the list of potential Packers GM's. However, I'm not sure he was ever a real option because of the complexity of lateral movement of GM's.

My understanding is that GM Reggie McKenzie’s role won’t be diminished with the arrival of Gruden. Proof: McKenzie declined a Green Bay request to interview for Packers GM job. #Raiders

Further complicating matters is that Wilde reports that Aaron Rodgers doesn't like the idea of Russ Ball as GM either.

I found the article I think your referencing, but I don't know how credible it is:

The Green Bay Packers continue to interview candidates in their search for Ted Thompson’s replacement, but Russ Ball’s apparent status as the front-runner has only strengthened. According to Bob McGinn, Ball could become the team’s general manager as early as Monday with Brian Gutekunst becoming his top deputy in the front office.
    This aspect makes a lot of sense, Gutekunst for many has been seen as a great personnel guy. It would allow Wolf who if not their guy to move on to a GM job else where.

Wolf could remain in the front office in a prominent position beneath Ball and Gutekunst. Still, McGinn reports that Wolf will immediately begin looking for another job if passed over in the GM search.
    This also would not be surprise because if Wolf does not get the gig, plenty of teams have had interest in the 35 yr. old's services.

McGinn says McCarthy directed his anger about Green Bay’s conservative approach to player acquisition at Ball in the recent past. “Russ and Mike were really tight, but they’ve not seen eye-to-eye in a couple of years,” a source told McGinn. Another source also told McGinn that McCarthy told his staff Thursday that he “planned to leave Green Bay for another job” should Ball ascend to the GM seat.
    This however, I don't think makes a lot of sense, nor do I think the coach would leave because they don't see eye to eye. This would put a massive fork in the potential future of this team. While it seems imminent that Ball/Gutekunst is going to happen from reports because it appears consistent. I don't know if I can see MM rolling out. If it does it complicates the whole off season outlook. However, it would open the door for them to get their guy right away.

As of right now McGinn seems to be the only one reporting this information out. So it’ll be interesting to see what shakes out. I’ve never been a fan of McGinn, but I never really took him as the type to just throw stuff like this out, so we’ll see what happens.

Considering many beat guys interpretted mccarthys press conference as an endorsement for ball, it seems odd to see the opposite coming from the McGinn report.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    As of right now McGinn seems to be the only one reporting this information out. So it’ll be interesting to see what shakes out. I’ve never been a fan of McGinn, but I never really took him as the type to just throw stuff like this out, so we’ll see what happens.

Considering many beat guys interpretted mccarthys press conference as an endorsement for ball, it seems odd to see the opposite coming from the McGinn report.
    I was thinking the same thing, but from the rest of the article the rest of the information seems pretty legit. A huge amount of sources have Ball as the favorite and it only makes sense he appoints one of the two to stick around for personnel matters. McCarthy and Ball have been in contact since KC days. The only potential rift I could see is if he saw Ball as the reason for the penny pinching habits of Thompson which is really the only time I have heard McCarthy speak bluntly critical of an executive.

I don't doubt the Ball/Gutekust stuff, but like you mention the move towards Ball seems pro-MM, not the other way.

It is interesting that MM's anger on player acquisition was directed towards Ball and not Thompson. We have no idea what Ball's role in any of this was.

For all we know Ball has essentially been the GM with TT running the drafts.

Quote Originally Posted by ugottabjoshinme View Post
    It is interesting that MM's anger on player acquisition was directed towards Ball and not Thompson. We have no idea what Ball's role in any of this was.

For all we know Ball has essentially been the GM with TT running the drafts.
    That's entirly possible, I did read something before TT stepped down saying Ball has been "running" the show from behind the scenes. If so then the McCarthy report could be entirly valid. However, if this is the case the Packers really need to have a second though about hiring this guy in my view and not just because of McCarthy.

Quote Originally Posted by IRNMN View Post
    That's entirly possible, I did read something before TT stepped down saying Ball has been "running" the show from behind the scenes. If so then the McCarthy report could be entirly valid. However, if this is the case the Packers really need to have a second though about hiring this guy in my view and not just because of McCarthy.
    Agreed, if this is the case nothing will really change except making the general fanbase happy by removing Thompson.
    Last edited by ugottabjoshinme; 01-05-2018 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ugottabjoshinme View Post
    Agreed, if this is the case nothing will really change except making the general fanbase happy by removing Thompson.
    Who ever the next GM is can really squash some early tension by going out and landing a top FA. In terms of the "reports" speculating a rift between McCarthy/Rodgers and Ball, I am far more concerned about a rift between Ball and Rodgers. The general consensus across Packers nation would likely be more oriented to "I'd rather have Jim Bob from the local tavern than pissing of Rodgers." Obviously, a slight exaggeration, but if there is any rift between Ball and Rodgers then it needs to be squashed before naming him GM. Fan's don't pay to see a GM nor about the GM's feelings. However, a rift between your star player and the coach the guy doesn't need the job. It would be a huge mistake. Just look at the Chicago Bulls, they chose their GM and their GM's feelings towards their coach over the team's success, and then later their feelings towards their star player. So I would hope either McGinn is mistaken or Murphy has a grasp on the situation.

Obvisously if ball and Aaron are enemies, it’s not a good thing. But giving any player any input on GM is a bad idea. Lebron has had way too much input on his teams in the nba and his guys always end up on the team and get paid.

Rodgers shouldn’t really be involved in roster construction at all. He can have input about the guys he likes, but at the end of the day, that shouldn’t mean much. I love Rodgers and he’s one of the best of all time, but any time players get input on roster decisions, things tend to go poorly.

Realistically, unless he holds out, Rodgers is under contract for at least 4 more years. His contract runs 2 more years. If we don’t extend him by then, he’s an obvious franchise tag candidate. And assuming he’s playing at a high level still, he’s probably a candidate for a 2nd franchise tag. A 3rd franchise tag would probably be tough to handle by that point.

So, by all means, don’t intentionally piss of Rodgers. Him signing a team friendly deal would be fantastic. But his opinion on this matter shouldn’t have much merit in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Obvisously if ball and Aaron are enemies, it’s not a good thing. But giving any player any input on GM is a bad idea. Lebron has had way too much input on his teams in the nba and his guys always end up on the team and get paid.

Rodgers shouldn’t really be involved in roster construction at all. He can have input about the guys he likes, but at the end of the day, that shouldn’t mean much. I love Rodgers and he’s one of the best of all time, but any time players get input on roster decisions, things tend to go poorly.
    While I won't disagree with that, I would argue that in this instance where you have three relatively "equal" candidates and from most sources there is not a big separation, and one of those candidates pisses off your franchise player who you're trying to lock down something needs to address to that. I'm not saying not to hire Ball, but before doing so the rift needs to mended. I don't think the players need that kind of input, but if this is true you need to either hire one of the other candidates or fix the issue before it becomes a messy divorce. The last thing a new GM needs is for a player of Rodgers caliber against him and it could lead this team down a dark road. Not a deal breaker, but has to be address immediatly if true.

Honestly when I consider an NFL roster makeup and what wins Championships, weapons for the QB should be a low priority item (especially if you have an elite QB). You need to hope a guy like Rodgers is talented enough to elevate the players on offense around him, and then put a championship quality defense on the field.

Statistically teams without a top 5-10 defense almost never win the SuperBowl. The Packers have been stuck in an uphill battle every January because we can't afford any mistakes, if we have some our defense hasn't been strong enough to hold.

My biggest knock about Russ Ball is age. Sounds like he's the front runner but I don't want to bring in someone that's already getting close to retirement. We all know that the mind starts to slip as one gets older too.

Quote Originally Posted by twellner9 View Post
    My biggest knock about Russ Ball is age. Sounds like he's the front runner but I don't want to bring in someone that's already getting close to retirement. We all know that the mind starts to slip as one gets older too.
    He's mid 50s so he realistically has 10 years left. 10 years is generally getting to the point where it's time to make a change anyways.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast