Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I hope they choose the GM candidate that says he will can Mcarthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For what itís worth, the beat guys seem to be hearing that a lot of folks around the league think ball is the front runner for the job.

According to a report from Silverstein, wolf and gutekust are both scheduled to interview today. So while I donít expect any news today, I would imagine we wrap up most of the interviews within a week or so.

From everything I have read I'll be surprised if Ball isn't the guy.

Now it also just dawned on me, the Packers can keep most of these guys if they play their cards right. TT was not just the GM, but he was also the Executive VP of Football Operations and Director of Football Operations, you could feasibly give new titles to all three guys, at least two. Both the GM position and XVP position are promotions. Maybe you keep Ball on as the XVP and VP of Football Administration/Player Finance? Still a promotion enough to keep him on, and maybe a better fit. Then promote Wolf or Gutenkust to GM/Director of Football Operations. If the third stay on they take the others title or give them the title VP of Player Personnel. Just a thought, but I see a lot of panic from people on the concept of Ball, but there are various positions which need to be filled. While the reports seem to have Ball as the front-runner I don't think this at all minimizes the importance of Wolf and Gutenkust here, but the issue many see with a Ball promotion would be the potential to lose Wolf or Gutenkust, but there are ways to keep at least one here. Personally would like to see Wolf get the job he's basically marinated under the watch of two of the greatest GM's in team history (one being his dad), his scouting background is impecable, he's a football guy, and with the help of some one like Ball who too could be promoted I can see plenty of years of prosperity.

I think in the grand scheme of things, regardless of what you do, youíre risking losing two of them if/when you hire one. Sure, you can promote the others, and maybe get them to hang on for a year or maybe a few years. But at the end of the day, someone is going to be making the final decisions when it comes to the football team. And it sounds like all 3 guys feel like theyíve earned a chance at being the guy who gets to make the final call. So if an opportunity comes along that gives them the responsibility to be the final decision maker, they will likely take it, regardless of whatever promotions you give them.

I would agree that ball probably gets the least interest from around the league. But I donít think that should hurt him in the interview process in any way. Hire the best guy for the job, and worry about filling the spots underneath him after that.

Ball has been getting a ton of hate lately from fans, which I find sort of ridiculous. I donít think any of us has any clue what makes a good general manager. And most of us donít really have a clue what any of ball, wolf or Gutekunst is able to do.

Iíve heard people say ball will just be a ted clone or a ted puppet. But thereís no way of knowing that. Ball has worked for 5 different nfl organizations and has been a part of 4 different nfl front offices. Itís not like ted is the only gm heís ever worked with. But for some reason, many fans think wolf will be drastically different from ted somehow, even though wolfs entire professional career in the nfl has been with the packers, and the vast majority of that time was spent under ted.

At the end of the day, none of us have a clue what it takes to be a good GM. Sure, most GMs come from a scouting background. But thatís a two way street. A lot of the best GMs were great scouts, but that also means most of the worst GMs were also supposed to be great scouts.

Sure, scouting is a large portion of a GMs job. A couple bad drafts can absolutely sink a franchise. But you can also quickly sink a franchise with bad cap management, bad player/agent relations and getting a reputation of being a bad organization to work for.

The only concrete proof we have of what ball has done is the quality cap management weíve had in recent years and the reports that come out about players and agents who like doing business with ball because they are treated fairly. We donít have any proof that ball can or canít run a draft. The only concrete proof of anything with wolf and Gutekunst is rumors around the league that both a good talent evaluators. We have no proof that they can manage a cap or would effectively sign and/or trade for the correct players. And really, we donít have much proof that they can actually run a draft either, since theyíve never done it either. Iím not saying pick one over the other, but I donít understand why in so many peoples minds that itís inpossible to fathom that ball could run a quality draft, but it just seems assumed that Wolf and Gutekunst would have no issues with cap or bringing players in.

Packers News did a couple really good pieces on Ball. It is interesting that Green Bay doesn't tell us what his current responsibilities are. We know the cap management and contract negotiations, but everything else he does is hidden from us. There is a lot of praise on ball from other league sources in the articles, so I certainly can't sit here and say he would be a bad choice because "his background isn't in player evaluation" which is all you here from anybody online.

Russ Ball Part 1
    Russ Ball Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by ugottabjoshinme View Post
    Packers News did a couple really good pieces on Ball. It is interesting that Green Bay doesn't tell us what his current responsibilities are. We know the cap management and contract negotiations, but everything else he does is hidden from us. There is a lot of praise on ball from other league sources in the articles, so I certainly can't sit here and say he would be a bad choice because "his background isn't in player evaluation" which is all you here from anybody online.

Russ Ball Part 1
    Russ Ball Part 2
    I would agree with a lot of this, I don't think most fans are against the idea of Ball being the GM, but no one knows who he is. For the past three or so seasons we have been hearing the names Wolf and Gutenkust as the young, upcoming names in the GM market, and we see the Packers pay them both to block them from leaving. Maybe the hidden nature of Ball was a poker face on the hands of the Packers, but teams also generally don't keep giving pay raises to guys to block them from becoming a GM elsewhere either.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    I think in the grand scheme of things, regardless of what you do, youíre risking losing two of them if/when you hire one. Sure, you can promote the others, and maybe get them to hang on for a year or maybe a few years. But at the end of the day, someone is going to be making the final decisions when it comes to the football team. And it sounds like all 3 guys feel like theyíve earned a chance at being the guy who gets to make the final call. So if an opportunity comes along that gives them the responsibility to be the final decision maker, they will likely take it, regardless of whatever promotions you give them.

I would agree that ball probably gets the least interest from around the league. But I donít think that should hurt him in the interview process in any way. Hire the best guy for the job, and worry about filling the spots underneath him after that.

Ball has been getting a ton of hate lately from fans, which I find sort of ridiculous. I donít think any of us has any clue what makes a good general manager. And most of us donít really have a clue what any of ball, wolf or Gutekunst is able to do.
    I disagree if you split the duties which Thompson held both are significant promotions. The Executive VP position which TT held is a higher title than the GM role, it was a title added on to his name to "promote" him. I have read plenty of reports that the duties would be split between their execs. You keep two if you promote 1 to XVP and another to GM. While GM is the more public and "sexier" title, the GM would still be running the draft and such. I hope this is what the team is thinking. Ball has a ton of experience and would best the best guy to fill this role from everything I have read. You then promote either Wolf or Gutekunst to the GM position because now you have two guys who are relatively young who not only would eventually continue to move up, but they offer longevity. Wolf would be the perfect candidate view as he's only like 34-35 something like that. Whatever way the Packers go I'm sure they hire the right guy, and they can't go horrible wrong with the three options on the table.

I 100% agree with you that Ball gets a ton of hate for some reason when he has been a crucial piece to this front office, but again think this is largely the media image drive concept (see coment to other post above)

The hate for Ball from most comes from him

A) Not apparently being a personnel guy. Which likely means you would need a team built around him and/or McCarthy dips his hand heavily in the talent coming in.

B) Not being highly sought after from anyone else while watching 2 young up and coming guys who are actually being heavily sought after dip out.

I agree that none of us know what we are getting with any 3 of these guys. And maybe nothing changes at the end of the day regardless of who it is we end up with. Maybe we don't end up with any 3 of them. Regardless of who we end up with, I just want a hardcore press on bringing in some veteran talent this offseason to help us towards an ultimate goal of another Super Bowl.

....and now reports speculate that hiring Russ Ball would make McCarthy quit? My head is spinning.

All the news today has promoted a new interesting take:

* Green Bay hires Russ Ball as GM.
    * McCarthy steps down as HC.
    * Belichick and Patriots part ways over differences between himself and Brady/Kraft.
    * Belichick paves his way into Title Town in order to prove he was more valuable than Tom Brady.

BOOM

Quote Originally Posted by IRNMN View Post
    I would agree with a lot of this, I don't think most fans are against the idea of Ball being the GM, but no one knows who he is. For the past three or so seasons we have been hearing the names Wolf and Gutenkust as the young, upcoming names in the GM market, and we see the Packers pay them both to block them from leaving. Maybe the hidden nature of Ball was a poker face on the hands of the Packers, but teams also generally don't keep giving pay raises to guys to block them from becoming a GM elsewhere either.

I disagree if you split the duties which Thompson held both are significant promotions. The Executive VP position which TT held is a higher title than the GM role, it was a title added on to his name to "promote" him. I have read plenty of reports that the duties would be split between their execs. You keep two if you promote 1 to XVP and another to GM. While GM is the more public and "sexier" title, the GM would still be running the draft and such. I hope this is what the team is thinking. Ball has a ton of experience and would best the best guy to fill this role from everything I have read. You then promote either Wolf or Gutekunst to the GM position because now you have two guys who are relatively young who not only would eventually continue to move up, but they offer longevity. Wolf would be the perfect candidate view as he's only like 34-35 something like that. Whatever way the Packers go I'm sure they hire the right guy, and they can't go horrible wrong with the three options on the table.

I 100% agree with you that Ball gets a ton of hate for some reason when he has been a crucial piece to this front office, but again think this is largely the media image drive concept (see coment to other post above)
    To me, itís dangerous to split too much duty. I know some in here are bucks fans, but the bucks recently were bought by new owners. 3 guys are the main guys, but two were the big spenders. They put on a face that they would work together and work well together. But behind the scenes, theyíve made it so one of them is the primary decision maker. For any final decision (hiring/firing coaches or GMs and all that jazz) to be made, it needs to be made by the lead guy. They set it up so every couple years the lead guy switches between them. The setup has already been a disaster. Theyíve made blunders in how they handled their first coach hiring. The new gm hiring process this year was a nightmare of bungled decisions and arguments.

What I took from that is that someone needs to be the ďguyĒ (or gal). Someone is the decision maker. Someone need to have the full power of the organization. One person needs to hire and fire coaches. One person needs to be the final call on free agents. One person needs to be the draft. And in order to make the organization run effectively, the person needs to be the same person. You canít have the draft guy taking a wr with your top pick as your free agent guy is locking up two free agent WRs while the coach guy is hiring a run based coordinator.

Someone has to be the boss of the other two (or three if we hire from outside). All 3 of them want that authority. So even if you promote ball to some evp role and put him in charge of the team, but make wolf the GM who acquired players but still answers to ball, wolf will continue to look for a position where he doesnít answer to anyone but the owner.

Promotions can keep guys around. And Iím sure they split teds titles to try to do that. But at the end of the day, only one guy can be the final call guy. And thatís the position they all want eventually, regardless of what that title is.

Sounds like they are looking outside the house at the top LT from Baltimore DeCosta, and they had interest in interviewing the Vikes asst. GM, but that was declined.

PFT's Mike Florio reports the Packers "are attempting to interview" Ravens assistant GM Eric DeCosta for their general-manager vacancy.

"Attempting to interview" are the key words, as DeCosta has been extremely difficult to pry away from Baltimore over the years. His name has long been linked to the top GM openings, but he has turned down numerous opportunities to remain in Baltimore as the eventual heir to Ozzie Newsome.
    Last edited by IRNMN; 01-05-2018 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hallzi43 View Post
    ....and now reports speculate that hiring Russ Ball would make McCarthy quit? My head is spinning.
    Where did you see that at? From the sounds of it, McCarthy seems to be getting a voice in the decision.

The Packers are going to have to make a calculated risk, is putting Ball in the GM role worth losing your two best talent evaluators. I mean we don't have to look too far back to see the risk of having a guy who was a poor "personnel guy" can do. While the Packers stayed afloat under Mike Sherman there was some pitiful drafts. If Ball is GM who is going to be the guy who is pushing scouting to him? There are more guys out there that can crunch the numbers and run a payroll than there are talented eyes for NFL ready talent. I'm not saying don't hire Ball for the job if you make that choice Wolf is a candidate for NYG and Gutekust a candidate for HOU. Highsmith is gone, you have lost your 3 biggest personnel guys assmuing they get the jobs. Again, don't take this as a post bashing Ball, but this is going to be a hard decision. If the Packers are not going to hire Wolf or Gutekust is might be best to hire an outside guy who knows personnel.

Quote Originally Posted by IRNMN View Post
    Where did you see that at? From the sounds of it, McCarthy seems to be getting a voice in the decision.
    I don't know if that initially came from Bob McGinn or elsewhere, but it has been spinning around twitter.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast