Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    We didn't decide not to resign Peppers, Peppers wanted back in Carolina because he wants to retire a Panther.

Didn't mind not paying Hyde 30 million. He had one INT after Week 5. He's a nice player but nothing irreplaceable. Peppers was leaving. He wanted to go back to CAR.

Quote Originally Posted by gopackgo87 View Post
    Didn't mind not paying Hyde 30 million. He had one INT after Week 5. He's a nice player but nothing irreplaceable. Peppers was leaving. He wanted to go back to CAR.
    I think the only thing that made Hyde walking away sting was the lack of defensive production, Hyde goes to Buffalo and becomes a pro-bowler. This comes in the wake of Hayward becoming a top corner. However, what a lot of people don't realize is it's not a guarantee they have same success here. I think eventually Jones develops into a better player. Hyde wasn't going to start over Burnett or Ha Ha. However, the moving trend with the secondary I think Burnett has to be a re-sign. Even if they have to move cap to make it work I think they must bring back Burnett.

Hyde was a serviceable corner in a pinch, but the move to Buffalo allowed him to grow. Losing Hayward at the time wasn't big, but it has proven to be costly.

It would have helped if Hayward stayed healthy here also.

Reports coming out the Eliot wolf is leaving for Cleveland. Thatís unfortunate but understandable. I could see being frustrated after being passed over for the GM job. Maybe Dorsey is about to fix things, but Iím not sure Cleveland would have been my top choice. That org is a mess from top to bottom and the owner is allegedly a big part of that. Could be a great resume builder if you can hel turn it around, but could also look really bad if a meddling owner handcuffs the front office.

I wonder if we would consider Scot McCloughan back. I know heís in a messy situation with Washington. The guy probsbly shouldnít be a GM, but is considered by many to be one of the best talent evaluators around. Heís worked with BG before, and BG apparently mentioned him in a press conference. McCloughan worked for Seattle for the years that they had those fantastic drafts then left. Wonder how much credit he deserves for those drafts. The loss of talent from our front office is concerning, but bringing back McCloughan as director of college scouting would make me feel much better about things.

The more I have looked at this situation...the more I have realized that Russ Ball had a lot to do with the mismanagement of our pending free agents...I think TT started relying on him why too much and McCarthy saw it and didn't want him as GM...

Listening to Brian's press conference...I'm excited to see what he brings to the GM position!!!!

Just reading this article this morning and us talking about good GM's and what not. This was such an eye popping statistic.

Out of the 23 wide receivers drafted by the Ravens, there have been no Pro Bowl players and one 1,000-yard receiving season (Torrey Smith in 2013). Over that same period, every other NFL team has drafted a wide receiver who has recorded at least one 1,000-yard season.

Newsome is considered one of the top personnel decision-makers in the NFL, although recent drafts haven't lived up to his standard. He has drafted 18 Pro Bowl players, and his 22 first-round picks have combined for 58 Pro Bowls, four NFL defensive player of the year awards, one NFL offensive player of the year award and two Super Bowl Most Valuable Player awards.

I truly believe the draft is more of a crapshoot than most of us think. You definitely need skill and itís not like random joe fan could draft as well as nfl GMs, but thereís probably more luck and less skill than we imagine.

I think the guys who get a reputation as good drafters are the guys who put together a couple really good drafts in a row. If you do that, odds are your team is going to be pretty good, and the gm will be labeled a great drafter, espeically if itís early in his career. The next couple years donít matter as much when you get a good reputation.

Newsome is a good example. Had some great drafts years ago. Has hit a few guys since, but then had a stretch of underwhelming drafts. Schneider and Thompson are sort of the same way. I really believe, that if you give most GMs 1000 drafts or so, a lot of them will come out with very similar overall talent. Some will do better than others, but I think it will end up being a lot closer than people think. Problem is, thereís only one draft per year, so all it takes is a couple uncommonly good drafts early to get a great reputation or vice versa.

You give the whole org credit when you get a steal of a player, like a theilen or Antonio Brown. I forget who said it, but whoever drafted Donald driver said it best. They said, if they knew driver was going to be as good as he was, they wouldnít have waited until round 7 to draft him. That goes for a lot of mid to late round guys. Give te GM and scouts credit for having a system that identifies those guys as potential sleepers, but in most cases, they didnít have a clue the guy could be that good.
    Last edited by crewfan13; 01-15-2018 at 12:12 PM.

I think a lot of it has to do with your coaching staff as well. They have to not only coach them up and get them ready for the speed of the NFL but they also have to put them in a position to succeed. Sometimes i feel like coaches force players to do what they want them to instead of just utilizing the talents they do have and putting them in a position to succeed and get the most out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCheese12 View Post
    I think a lot of it has to do with your coaching staff as well. They have to not only coach them up and get them ready for the speed of the NFL but they also have to put them in a position to succeed. Sometimes i feel like coaches force players to do what they want them to instead of just utilizing the talents they do have and putting them in a position to succeed and get the most out of them.
    I concur

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thatís definitely a two way street with coaching and your drafting and scouting team though too. You canít constantly change systems to fit every new player that comes in. I get having to adjust the system and add certain wrinkles for new/different players. But to an extent, itís part of the evaluators process to get players who can fit into a system as well.

And I think player maturity plays a big role too. And thatís sometimes really hard to figure out. I know monte ball did a talk awhile back on that. He was very upfront that he basically parties himself outta the league. In college, everything is so regimented. Not only football, but you have your school schedule and dedicated tutoring times. Thereís not a ton of free time for college athletes. Plus, most college programs strategically schedule offseason conditioning programs for like 6:00am on Friday and Saturday mornings to try to keep players from partying too much.

In the nfl, thatís not the case. You have a lot more freedom than you had in college. And pro programs trust you to be an adult and your work day is closer to the 9-5 work day for normal people. So itís not always easy to determine how these guys will react to that much free time. Guys like ball end up partying and thinking their talent is good enough to carry them. And when it isnít, nfl teams arenít going to coddle guys. Youíre out on your butt if you donít produce.

T.J. Lang has said the same thing too. The both of Langís son was basically his ďoh shitĒ moment. He realized he needed to stop partying as much and really get focused on football. That basically coincided with him taking the starting job.

So I guess the whole point is that I agree thereís a lot of variables that go into a player being successful or not. Sometimes itís just a bad scouting job. The guy isnít as talented or athletic as anticipated. Sometimes the coaches let the player down and donít put them in the right positions to gain confidence. And other times itís just the player either partying himself out of the league or refusing to accept coaching. Itís a full spectrum and usually thereís parts of all of it when a guy busts.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Thatís definitely a two way street with coaching and your drafting and scouting team though too. You canít constantly change systems to fit every new player that comes in. I get having to adjust the system and add certain wrinkles for new/different players. But to an extent, itís part of the evaluators process to get players who can fit into a system as well.

And I think player maturity plays a big role too. And thatís sometimes really hard to figure out. I know monte ball did a talk awhile back on that. He was very upfront that he basically parties himself outta the league. In college, everything is so regimented. Not only football, but you have your school schedule and dedicated tutoring times. Thereís not a ton of free time for college athletes. Plus, most college programs strategically schedule offseason conditioning programs for like 6:00am on Friday and Saturday mornings to try to keep players from partying too much.

In the nfl, thatís not the case. You have a lot more freedom than you had in college. And pro programs trust you to be an adult and your work day is closer to the 9-5 work day for normal people. So itís not always easy to determine how these guys will react to that much free time. Guys like ball end up partying and thinking their talent is good enough to carry them. And when it isnít, nfl teams arenít going to coddle guys. Youíre out on your butt if you donít produce.

T.J. Lang has said the same thing too. The both of Langís son was basically his ďoh shitĒ moment. He realized he needed to stop partying as much and really get focused on football. That basically coincided with him taking the starting job.

So I guess the whole point is that I agree thereís a lot of variables that go into a player being successful or not. Sometimes itís just a bad scouting job. The guy isnít as talented or athletic as anticipated. Sometimes the coaches let the player down and donít put them in the right positions to gain confidence. And other times itís just the player either partying himself out of the league or refusing to accept coaching. Itís a full spectrum and usually thereís parts of all of it when a guy busts.
    I know its a two way street, man. Your post previous to mine was talking about how the draft is a crap shoot and players don't always work out or basically can't hack it in the nfl. All i am saying that a lot of it has to do with your coaching staff as well. A player can go to the Browns and look like a bust but then the Patriots will pick him up and turns out to be a contributor for them. That's what i admire about BB and his ability to utilize players to their strength. I don't get that same feeling from our staff all that much.

New England is sort of a unique case. I think they are just really good at finding guys that fit their system more than anything, espeically on offense.

I mean, their system is not super difficult to figure out. They like outside WRs who go downfield and inside WRs run short but precise routes. And for runningback they like having 1 goalline hammer type and the rest are more athletic pass catchers. The execution of their system is incredible, but I donít think itís changed a ton over the years as new personnel can aboard. As the talent levels change, they use guys more or less, but the system is generally pretty close.

I know its a two way street, man. Your post previous to mine was talking about how the draft is a crap shoot and players don't always work out or basically can't hack it in the nfl. All i am saying that a lot of it has to do with your coaching staff as well. A player can go to the Browns and look like a bust but then the Patriots will pick him up and turns out to be a contributor for them. That's what i admire about BB and his ability to utilize players to their strength. I don't get that same feeling from our staff all that much.
    I agree entirely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast