Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

2018 Packers GM Search

EDIT: Gutekunst Named New GM

The Packers are promoting their director of player personnel, Brian Gutekunst, to general manager, as Ian Rapoport of NFL.com tweets. ESPNís Adam Schefter reports (via Twitter) that it will be a five-year deal for Gutekunst.

Brian Gutekunst (vertical)

Gutekunst is highly respected in scouting circles, and Rob Demovsky of ESPN.com writes that Gutekunst is the most well-rounded scout in Green Bayís personnel department. Demovsky adds that Gutekunst dazzled Packersí brass in his recent interview with the club.

Green Bay elected to hire Gutekunst, who has a strong personnel background, as opposed to fellow internal candidate Russ Ball, who is more of a salary cap guru (despite the fact that Ball was seen as the frontrunner throughout much of this process). In addition to Ball, the team also interviewed director of football operations Eliot Wolf, who for years was seen as the heir apparent to longtime GM Ted Thompson. Thompson, of course, stepped down to a different role within the organization at the beginning of the month, thereby triggering the teamís search for a replacement. It will be interesting to see what will become of Wolf and Ball now.

The Packers also expressed interest in Vikings assistant GM George Paton ó though Minnesota denied Green Bayís request to interview Paton ó Seahawks GM John Schneider, and Ravens assistant GM Eric DeCosta. But in Gutekunst, they get an executive who was been with the club for 19 years ó he started his Packers tenure as a collegiate scout ó and who appears ready for his chance to run a franchise. Indeed, he had an excellent interview with the 49ers last offseason and nearly became San Franciscoís GM.

As Ed Werder tweets, an internal hiring like this one may be good news for Packers head coach Mike McCarthy, whose long-term future with the team could be bolstered with Gutekunstís promotion.

Gutekunst was scheduled to interview with the Texans for Houstonís GM job today. Per John McClain of the Houston Chronicle (via Twitter), Gutekunst did travel to Houston yesterday and had dinner with Texans head coach Bill OíBrien, but Green Bay never gave him the chance to interview with with the Texans.

The Texans, meanwhile, are likely to hire Bills VP of player personnel Brian Gaine as their next GM, according to multiple sources.
    profootballrumors.com
    Last edited by PackerBum9786; 01-07-2018 at 08:13 PM. Reason: New GM has been named.

RIP Gene Wilder

Saw a tweet today, and I donít know how true it exactly is, but it referenced John Schneider. Rumor has it, he doesnít have the packers gm clause anymore. However, the tweet said that the guys understanding of the contract, if the packers were to offer a position with more than just the GM title, he could potentially get out of his contract as it would essentially be a promotion.

Iím not certain Schneider is the correct choice. But heís definitely a name to keep in mind. And if gruden is truly going to be the coach in Oakland, Iíd imagine heís getting a boatload of power and can probably convince davis to move on from McKenzie, so those guys definitely are worth keeping an eye on.

I don't know I would rather give Wolf or Gutekunst get the promotion. Might as well give them a shot otherwise I think you lose them.

I posted something the other day, the rumor is Eliot Wolf is getting frustrated and was more open to accepting a GM job else where.

I think Wolf gets the GM spot, Gutekunst moves into Wolf's old spot and if need be add a couple extra titles to Russ Ball and just keep the 3 of them in the front office, with Uncle Ted watching over and giving a helping hand when need be.

RIP Gene Wilder

Now that the Packers have reassigned former general manager Ted Thompson (heís now a senior advisor to football operations, the club announced today), Green Bay is searching for a new decision-maker atop its personnel department. Incumbent vice president of football administration Russ Ball is thought to be a candidate for the position and has a ďclose relationshipĒ with Packers president Mark Murphy, according to Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk, but promoting Ball could cause other problems for Green Bay. If Ball (or an external candidate is hired), the Packers will likely lose fellow personnel men Eliot Wolf and Brian Gutekunst to other clubs, reports Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. However, if one of Wolf or Gutenkunst is promoted to GM, the other man will likely stay in Green Bay, per Silverstein.
    this is from profootballrumors.com

RIP Gene Wilder

Im rooting for Eliot Wolfe the most. I'll be disappointed if we end up hiring Ball, specially if he's getting the nod due to his relationship with Murphy and Ted.

I just hope that whoever becomes the GM cans MM and brings in his own guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCheese12 View Post
    Im rooting for Eliot Wolfe the most. I'll be disappointed if we end up hiring Ball, specially if he's getting the nod due to his relationship with Murphy and Ted.
    My worry with Ball is he isn't a football guy. Which I think is the wrong move for a team in a market like Green Bay. A market that is hard to bring in players in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by hallzi43 View Post
    My worry with Ball is he isn't a football guy. Which I think is the wrong move for a team in a market like Green Bay. A market that is hard to bring in players in the first place.
    I just want someone more aggressive than what TT was. I am not saying someone who is recklessly aggressive but someone who isn't afraid to utilize FA specially if there is a key player that can make a difference. Not this bargain stuff we've been used to with TT. Someone who isn't afraid to trade UP in the draft instead of trying to rack up mid round picks. And yes, i want a GM that has a successful scouting background and not someone who is just a cap wizard.

I could be wrong but i feel like if we picked Eliot for the job there's a good chance Ball would stay anyways but if we picked Ball as GM i think Eliot leaves no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCheese12 View Post
    I just want someone more aggressive than what TT was. I am not saying someone who is recklessly aggressive but someone who isn't afraid to utilize FA specially if there is a key player that can make a difference. Not this bargain stuff we've been used to with TT. Someone who isn't afraid to trade UP in the draft instead of trying to rack up mid round picks. And yes, i want a GM that has a successful scouting background and not someone who is just a cap wizard.

I could be wrong but i feel like if we picked Eliot for the job there's a good chance Ball would stay anyways but if we picked Ball as GM i think Eliot leaves no matter what.
    Of course I think we all want someone more aggressive at this point. Aaron isn't going to be around forever and there is no indication we have anything stepping up behind him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ckers-g-m-job/

This GM search has all the makings of a complete dumpster fire.....

Quote Originally Posted by wwfd1220 View Post

I just can't imagine this job doesn't come down to the 3 guys in house. It would make entirely no sense to me at all. Especially considering they let Dorsey go to Cleveland despite knowing this spot was going to be open.

It should stay in house outside of Ball.... I want a football guy. If they go outside it should remain in the Wolf tree.... McKenzie, Schnieder, etc.... If Murphy pulls a Whaley on us I fully expect the team to be bankrupt in 5 years... there is a lot of overhead with the titletown district, and the fans are not as diehard as they once were...just saying

Quote Originally Posted by wwfd1220 View Post

I'm guessing the Whaley interview is simply a way for us to meet Rooney Rule requirements.

I highly doubt we are actually considering him for GM.

Quote Originally Posted by slaney30 View Post
    I'm guessing the Whaley interview is simply a way for us to meet Rooney Rule requirements.

I highly doubt we are actually considering him for GM.
    I was thinking the same thing. The only way I see them going outside of the organization is if it's McKenzie or Schneider (which could be costly). An internal hire look imminent.

Donít get me wrong, Iím not against wolf or gutekust at all. But I guess hereís a few points that I see.

First off, I think we all know virtually nothing about GM candidates. I donít mean that to sound mean, but Iím guessing most of us really canít identify who would truly be a good GM candidate and who wouldnít. Seeing how bad nfl owners and search commitees are at it, we shouldnít be expected to really know. So itís probsbly pretty unfair for us to effectively say if someone is going to suck at it. I mean, really, how many of us really knew anything about Brian Gutekust until we heard he was interviewing for GM jobs?

Secondly, I donít see any issue with interviewing outside the ďwolfĒ tree. Itís kind of funny that a lot of packers fans get so frustrated that our offensive staff is inbred and we only hire from within. But we get mad when we look outside the family for GM. We very easily could hire someone internally. And we have a lot of good internal candidates. But many of the internal candidates all came from the same tree and same mindset. You can also argue that the external guys weíve mentioned, like McKenzie and scheinder all came from the same tree as well. So while that tree has been successful, I donít think itís an awful idea to inject outside ideas into the conversation at least.

And lastly, I donít get the hate on ball. Sure, he doesnít have the same pedigree as the other candidates. But the guy has worked in pro football in some capacity for over 30 years. Heís been in a front office position for almost 20. In philly, Howie Roseman basically runs the show in the front office and he has virtually no history of scouting either. Teams employ full teams of scouts and have really smart folks who can run drafts. Just because ball isnít a scout doesnít mean heís just going to throw darts at the board in the draft. Itís not like heís going to google Mel kipers big board and use that. If they think ball is the best choice, I wonít have any issue with it.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast