Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    i wonder where this leaves wolf

Quote Originally Posted by Sdh09e44 View Post
    i wonder where this leaves wolf
    Either in for a heft promotion, but I think we likely only have him for one more year at best. Now that the GM job is locked down for the foreseeable future he only stays out of love for the organization and loyalty. However, he's been in the running for GM jobs for years so I don't think it will belong before he transitions to a GM job somewhere else.

Wolf most likely leaves now.

I'm sure a lot of you seen this report already.

Packers promoted director of player personnel Brian Gutekunst to general manager.

Gutekunst was supposed to interview for the Texans' GM vacancy on Sunday, but canceled to accept a new job with the Pack. We now know it was the top job, though the Houston Chronicle's John McClain reports Gutekunst will "split" GM duties with VP of football administration Russ Ball. It would seem Gutekunst will handle personnel and the draft while Ball deals with the cap and contracts. Gutekunst has spent the past 19 years in the Packers' front office, and past two as director of player personnel.

Ian Rapoport
    For the record. This report has come out, but McClain has recanted his report. Gutekunst will have full control as the GM.

I apologize for being wrong. Brian Butekunst isn't splitting the job with Ball as I said. He has full control of personnel.

Wilde tweeted out that he got a text that said Gutekunst crushed his interview.

Iím excited about it. I donít remember where I read it or if it was true, but I thought I remember a source saying last year that he was very impressive in his interview with San Fran last year too.

Iím very interested to see what the offseason brings. In the past, it was easy to say no to every free agent. Now, who knows. With ted being around so it got sort of easy to identify the types of guys ted was interested in vs the types he wasnít. So this offseason really is sort of a wild card.

Great news. Now we can move forward.

At least it was Ball. But who knows how much control he's going to have. I really hope the reports about how stingy Ball is with money isn't true. I was pulling for Wolf but I'm just glad it wasn't Ball.

Quote Originally Posted by flodapack View Post
    Great news. Now we can move forward.
    Dilly, Dilly.

Brian Gutekunst named GM of the Packers

The Packers are promoting their director of player personnel, Brian Gutekunst, to general manager, as Ian Rapoport of NFL.com tweets. ESPNís Adam Schefter reports (via Twitter) that it will be a five-year deal for Gutekunst.

Brian Gutekunst (vertical)

Gutekunst is highly respected in scouting circles, and Rob Demovsky of ESPN.com writes that Gutekunst is the most well-rounded scout in Green Bayís personnel department. Demovsky adds that Gutekunst dazzled Packersí brass in his recent interview with the club.

Green Bay elected to hire Gutekunst, who has a strong personnel background, as opposed to fellow internal candidate Russ Ball, who is more of a salary cap guru (despite the fact that Ball was seen as the frontrunner throughout much of this process). In addition to Ball, the team also interviewed director of football operations Eliot Wolf, who for years was seen as the heir apparent to longtime GM Ted Thompson. Thompson, of course, stepped down to a different role within the organization at the beginning of the month, thereby triggering the teamís search for a replacement. It will be interesting to see what will become of Wolf and Ball now.

The Packers also expressed interest in Vikings assistant GM George Paton ó though Minnesota denied Green Bayís request to interview Paton ó Seahawks GM John Schneider, and Ravens assistant GM Eric DeCosta. But in Gutekunst, they get an executive who was been with the club for 19 years ó he started his Packers tenure as a collegiate scout ó and who appears ready for his chance to run a franchise. Indeed, he had an excellent interview with the 49ers last offseason and nearly became San Franciscoís GM.

As Ed Werder tweets, an internal hiring like this one may be good news for Packers head coach Mike McCarthy, whose long-term future with the team could be bolstered with Gutekunstís promotion.

Gutekunst was scheduled to interview with the Texans for Houstonís GM job today. Per John McClain of the Houston Chronicle (via Twitter), Gutekunst did travel to Houston yesterday and had dinner with Texans head coach Bill OíBrien, but Green Bay never gave him the chance to interview with with the Texans.

The Texans, meanwhile, are likely to hire Bills VP of player personnel Brian Gaine as their next GM, according to multiple sources.
    profootballrumors.com

I was hoping Eliot Wolf would get it but, I am good with Gutekunst. One of the reports that I read said that Gutekunst impressed much more than Wolf did in their interviews.

Also I am going to go ahead move the Gm search thread into this one since the search is over.

RIP Gene Wilder

I wonder what made them choose Gutekunst over Ball since it seemed like Ball was the favorite. Maybe the reports about MM and AR not being a huge fan of his played a role.

Report today was that Gutekunst blew it out of the water in his interview. Iím sure that helped.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Report today was that Gutekunst blew it out of the water in his interview. Iím sure that helped.
    He did with the 49ers as well last year. I love the move. This was who I was hoping would be hired. Gutekunst to me was the best in-house candidate by far. A lot of people were surprised with Wolf not getting it and I think being the so called in-waiting guy hurts more than helps. Look at Zanik with MKE Bucks. Esecially if you have a Gutekunst that interviews well and makes them think why should EW just get the gig? Very good move IMO. This offseason from a coach/front office standpoint is A+ and exactly what I wanted pretty much so far. Bye bye Dom, lesser role for TT and Gutekunst getting GM.

Its gonna be hilarious when it comes to Free Agency and people are clamoring for this player or that player and Gutekunst doesn't sign any of those guys and just to see the complete meltdown of some fans.

RIP Gene Wilder

Quote Originally Posted by PackerBum9786 View Post
    Its gonna be hilarious when it comes to Free Agency and people are clamoring for this player or that player and Gutekunst doesn't sign any of those guys and just to see the complete meltdown of some fans.
    and for that very reason i hope he doesn't do a damn thing. i hope he looks at this old roster and says let's rebuild this thing ground up. i hope he has a 3 year plan to rebuild it.
    Last edited by alabastertubby; 01-08-2018 at 03:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alabastertubby View Post
    and for that very reason i hope he doesn't do a damn thing. i hope he looks at this old roster and says let's rebuild this thing ground up. i hope he has a 3 year plan to rebuild it.
    We have what may be the best QB in the NFL and now we need a 3 year plan to rebuild a roster from the ground up? GTFO

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast