Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lamonster View Post
    I couldnít agree more, we won 5 what amount to meaningless games this year. We are going to pay for that somehow, whether it be giving up draft picks just to move up a few spots or by picking a lesser tier QB prospect. Last off-season they dropped most veteran players and then signed McCown, it really made zero sense!
    And experts felt they had one of the worst rosters in the league.

The Jets need to get a QB, and trading up is always a possibility.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    And experts felt they had one of the worst rosters in the league.

The Jets need to get a QB, and trading up is always a possibility.
    But Clay, just think about how bad we would have been if Petty started all of our games. Once again, it was nice to see the safeties and Robbie Anderson develop, but this was a lost season from day one, so whether they won 1,2 or 5 games, it really didnít make a difference in the long run, except for the worse draft pick of course. I agree, I would trade multiple 1st round draft picks if they feel any of these QBs are the real deal... preferably Darnold.

But Clay, just think about how bad we would have been if Petty started all of our games. Once again, it was nice to see the safeties and Robbie Anderson develop, but this was a lost season from day one, so whether they won 1,2 or 5 games, it really didnít make a difference in the long run, except for the worse draft pick of course. I agree, I would trade multiple 1st round draft picks if they feel any of these QBs are the real deal... preferably Darnold.
    Hence why Josh McCown was an awful signing. Instead of having a pick high enough to draft a Franchise QB (Darnold, Rosen, Allen) we're on the outside looking in and might have to trade up just to be where we should have been. Trading up also involves giving away picks. We need as many picks as we can get. Playing Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg should have been a priority. We needed to lose as many games as possible in this lost season.

Quote Originally Posted by MJNetsIsles View Post
    Hence why Josh McCown was an awful signing. Instead of having a pick high enough to draft a Franchise QB (Darnold, Rosen, Allen) we're on the outside looking in and might have to trade up just to be where we should have been. Trading up also involves giving away picks. We need as many picks as we can get. Playing Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg should have been a priority. We needed to lose as many games as possible in this lost season.
    If bowles had this way of thinking he would have coached himself out of a job. Every coach puts the best out there, winning saves jobs.

#Hernandezing

Quote Originally Posted by bwallstreet View Post
    haha delusional
    Someone underestimated the jets!

Even if they draft a QB with their first round pick, I don't think throwing them right into the fire is the right move. Give them a year or two holding a clipboard and just learning the game. Alex Smith becomes an option. He's coming off his absolute best season of his career where he threw for over 4000 yards with 26 TDs while not turning the ball over much (5 INTs). That Wildcard lost to the Titans was hardly his fault.

Whether KC releases or him or trades him, the Jets need to be in on that conversation. With Smith, they can either continue to develop Hackenberg or they can draft a QB in the second or third round and develop him to eventually take over in 2 to 3 years. The point is, the QB position is suddenly not a concern. They can take an offensive tackle like McGlinchey, Williams or Brown. They can go defensive end and take a Bradley Chubb or Harold Landry or a corner/safety like Fitzpatrick.

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastSportz View Post
    Even if they draft a QB with their first round pick, I don't think throwing them right into the fire is the right move. Give them a year or two holding a clipboard and just learning the game. Alex Smith becomes an option. He's coming off his absolute best season of his career where he threw for over 4000 yards with 26 TDs while not turning the ball over much (5 INTs). That Wildcard lost to the Titans was hardly his fault.

Whether KC releases or him or trades him, the Jets need to be in on that conversation. With Smith, they can either continue to develop Hackenberg or they can draft a QB in the second or third round and develop him to eventually take over in 2 to 3 years. The point is, the QB position is suddenly not a concern. They can take an offensive tackle like McGlinchey, Williams or Brown. They can go defensive end and take a Bradley Chubb or Harold Landry or a corner/safety like Fitzpatrick.
    If we were a veteran team looking to win it all, then yes, I would agree with you line of thinking, but I think many of us want something we have never had....a young, franchise QB. No more of these veteran re-tread types. I think Alex Smith is a class act and a good QB, but we need a young guy that we can build around for the next 12 years or so!

If we were a veteran team looking to win it all, then yes, I would agree with you line of thinking, but I think many of us want something we have never had....a young, franchise QB. No more of these veteran re-tread types. I think Alex Smith is a class act and a good QB, but we need a young guy that we can build around for the next 12 years or so!
    100%

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    If you could get smith for a reasonable price and draft a QB at 6 and even after smith being signed, still have 85 mil to spend in FA, I think the jets could become legit in one off season with the right moves.
    You let Smith start and mentor the kid. I wouldn't sign Smith to a long term deal. 3 years with 2 guaranteed. If you got him as an FA, you could still package our 1 and one of our seconds and move up to get the colts pick or sit tight and take Mayfield or Allen or Jackson. I don't know why that's a bad thing. You are still drafting your QB of the future but you are getting one who can win now.
    If you could get smith for 15 a year for 3 years, you wouldn't consider it? He's a huge upgrade over McCown. Smith will make 14 mil next year, so 15 is reasonable. Then you still have 85 mil to fill in the line and get 2 CBs.

I don't understand why drafting a rookie and plugging him in will change the team immediately. Aaron Rodgers and Steve young and Garapollo seem to have done quite well after watching a couple years.

You see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear.

Kinky, if Smith is a FA, I would be all for signing him. I just want us to draft/find our long term answer at QB. I would actually prefer for him not to start right away, I just donít want a stop gap guy without having a young talent waiting in the wings. Some guys are saying sign a Smith type and draft other needs, I really want us to land our future QB in round 1, thatís all buddy.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Kinky, if Smith is a FA, I would be all for signing him. I just want us to draft/find our long term answer at QB. I would actually prefer for him not to start right away, I just donít want a stop gap guy without having a young talent waiting in the wings. Some guys are saying sign a Smith type and draft other needs, I really want us to land our future QB in round 1, thatís all buddy.
    I think if you sign Smith, it is even more important to sign a young QB. Imagine Mayfield learning for a year or two from Smith? Jackson? Darnold?
    I only want a stop gap to pave way for a guy we draft. I want an upgrade at the mentor position. It also needs to be cost effective. If am fine if we sign McCown to a one year deal for 5-6 mil and have him be the mentor. He seems to like that role and was very good at it. I wouldn't pay more than 15 for Smith but he's a major upgrade and I know people don't think you could trade him, I disagree. If you had him start for a year and the young QB took his job, you move Smith the following season. You keep him as a backup and insurance policy for that season but there is no reason another team wouldn't give a mid level pick for him

You see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear.

I'm unsure which current QB would be a good mentor for a young Jets QB. It is hard to tell whether McCown was a good mentor or not to Petty and Hackeysack, based on their performance or inability to perform.

I would like to see the Jets pick up a QB other than Cousins before the draft to mitigate against Darnold, Mayfield and Rosen not being available at #6. Cousins will cost too much for his production. I would be cool with whichever MIN QB doesn't make the cut there, or Smith if he is cut by KC (wouldn't want to trade a pick for him).

Quote Originally Posted by wiley6 View Post
    I would like to see the Jets pick up a QB other than Cousins before the draft to mitigate against Darnold, Mayfield and Rosen not being available at #6. Cousins will cost too much for his production. I would be cool with whichever MIN QB doesn't make the cut there, or Smith if he is cut by KC (wouldn't want to trade a pick for him).
    I agree let's not trade a pick for an unwanted QB from another team.

Am I the only one who, sometime during the course of the day, thinks why couldn't the Jets just have been what everyone thought they were and only won 1 or 2 games. Sitting at #2 right now would answer all our questions. Now we have to play the whole do we trade up, and if so, at what cost or do we just stay put and see what QB will be left there for us game. And that's if any of the four QB's most of us like will even make it to pick # 6. Uggh...the life of a Jets fan, we can't even lose right, and then the Giants happen to have this kind of year when two stud QB prospects are available. Just shows the fortunes of the two New York football franchises!

Am I the only one who, sometime during the course of the day, thinks why couldn't the Jets just have been what everyone thought they were and only won 1 or 2 games. Sitting at #2 right now would answer all our questions. Now we have to play the whole do we trade up, and if so, at what cost or do we just stay put and see what QB will be left there for us game. And that's if any of the four QB's most of us like will even make it to pick # 6. Uggh...the life of a Jets fan, we can't even lose right, and then the Giants happen to have this kind of year when two stud QB prospects are available. Just shows the fortunes of the two New York football franchises!
    Because unfortunately players and coaches are trying to earn a paycheck. The Jets should try to move up, if they offer enough they could move to the #1 or #2 spot.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast