Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
Results 241 to 250 of 250
  1. #241
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    5,560
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    If cousins was coming here it was for the money. He knew the deal. It only takes one setting to find out the plan.
    If you couldn't decide in two days, it's too much of a decision. You want a player who wants to be here. I don't think cousins wanted to be here. It didn't take him two days to decide on Minni.
    I would guess the Jets didn't want to be simply used as leverage either.
    Again, I'm not saying that I disagree and I was one of the people who didn't want Cousins at that price, anyway. Plus, I don't think he would have come here anyway with the Vikings being an attractive option.

    However, one or two more days could have shown Cousins how the Jets would build around him. The Jets could have signed some offense, increasing their offer on ASJ for instance and prioritizing an offensive lineman like Norwell or Pugh. That might have given him better thoughts about the Jets, but we won't know.

    As for the wining and dining, also invite his wife and children and give them limo service and tickets to a Broadway matinee and a guided tour down 5th Avenue, etc. Then after he checks out the state of the art facilities, which are probably better than the Vikings facilities, you take him out to a dinner at a posh restaurant with or without his family.

  2. #242
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    25,252
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    I'm on the fence on this. I like the mental tenacity. However, if they offered Cousins $30 million, they didn't have to put the rest of their offseason on hold, just McCown and Bridgewater, which will cost them between $15 Million and $25 million. Theoretically, they could have still done everything else that they did and have the $15 million to $25 million more set aside to go with the approximate $20 million that you calculate is remaining, until 2 days later. Cousins was always going to go to Minnesota on Wednesday and the delay might have been an extra day or so. If they lost out on McCown, so be it, but I don't believe that they would have, since they were discussing a $10 million deal and he is probably worth $6 million to another team, for whom he'd have to learn an entirely new system at 39 years old.
    It's true that they wouldn't have had to be put on hold but it may have altered the strategy and they may have overpaid for guys to put around cousins (Robinson, Nelson...) Knowing his decision gives an element of freedom to pursue in the way you want to pursue not because you want to keep someone happy

    I think we are arguing minutia. Could the Jets have done more? Absolutely. I'm glad they didn't I think we agree that it was a ballsy strategy for negotiations and the outcome had a positive effect
    I know you weren't a cousins or bust person either. I am really, really glad we didn't get him.
    I don't think the Vikings got any better. I think it was a lateral move at best and that it is quite possible that the vikings made themselves a little worse. The big saving grace for him is that the NFC north, is bad.




    You see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear.

  3. #243
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,820
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    Not too good. I prefer to be wined and dined and to meet with the owner (what's that you say, he's in London) and to understand your strategy for building the team (what's that you have no receivers, tight ends or running backs and a terrible offensive line and no chance to win the Super Bowl). I couldn't possibly decide in 2 days.
    So we had no shot at getting him is what you're saying...sounds like they made the right move and quickly changed direction and locked up Trumaine Johnson and others

  4. #244
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,820
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    Again, I'm not saying that I disagree and I was one of the people who didn't want Cousins at that price, anyway. Plus, I don't think he would have come here anyway with the Vikings being an attractive option.

    However, one or two more days could have shown Cousins how the Jets would build around him. The Jets could have signed some offense, increasing their offer on ASJ for instance and prioritizing an offensive lineman like Norwell or Pugh. That might have given him better thoughts about the Jets, but we won't know.

    As for the wining and dining, also invite his wife and children and give them limo service and tickets to a Broadway matinee and a guided tour down 5th Avenue, etc. Then after he checks out the state of the art facilities, which are probably better than the Vikings facilities, you take him out to a dinner at a posh restaurant with or without his family.
    I think Minnesota has nicer facilities, but that's not really the point you're making
    I think the Jets know how to wine and dine when needed, I think they and everyone else the past several days knew he was going to Minnesota. All the best restaurants in NY weren't going to change that

  5. #245
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    25,252
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
    I think Minnesota has nicer facilities, but that's not really the point you're making
    I think the Jets know how to wine and dine when needed, I think they and everyone else the past several days knew he was going to Minnesota. All the best restaurants in NY weren't going to change that
    I love the Post article this morning saying that Cousins said disrespectful things about the Jets now that he's a Viking.
    The disrespectful thing was this, when asked why he chose the Vikings, he said, “Ultimately the leadership of the organization is what set it apart,” How is that disrespectful to the Jets? Of course that's why he chose them. Any player that choses a team will make that comment or "I like what they are building here and want to be a part of it"
    He didn't want to play in NY because he knows he'd be eaten alive when he underperforms and he didn't want to deal with it. He is on record saying he doesn't love NY.
    Cousins wanted to play for the Vikings. They have a more complete team right now and were a game away from the super bowl. The vikings think he's the piece that will put them over the top. Why on earth wouldn't he chose that situation and of course the leadership of the organization has to do with his choice but that doesn't mean the Jets FO is terrible. It means he preferred one to the other.




    You see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear.

  6. #246
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    41,497
    Rich Cimini@RichCimini
    15m15 minutes ago
    More Rich Cimini Retweeted Dan Graziano
    Jets have only 3 players remaining from the 2010-2014 classes -- Bilal Powell, Brian Winters and Quincy Enunwa.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  7. #247
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    41,497
    @RichCimini: Robby Anderson's felony charge for resisting arrest with violence has been dropped by prosecutors in Florida, attorney Ed O'Donnell told me. Ins...

    Good thing we didn't cut our best offensive player.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  8. #248
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    41,497
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    The Jets can trade their 2nds and their 1st to the Colts.

    Make it happen Omar!
    This guy gets it!


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  9. #249
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    41,497
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsforever View Post
    To 3 and guarantee one of the top 3 QBs? Yes. Thing is, I legit don't believe that the Bills will even allow us to get ahead of them at this point. They've done an excellent job of hoarding picks and they should be able to create a better offer than we can.

    I truly think the Jets are going to sit still at 6 and pray someone falls to them and it isn't going to happen. I'm quite confident 3 QBs will be gone by 6. Potentially 4.
    He gets it.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  10. #250
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    41,497
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    They have enough draft capital, and if they like Darnold or Rosen enough then they need to spend like a drunken sailor at a brothel to get one of them.
    This Clay guy gets it.
    I need to follow him.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •