Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    I don't think Martinez is going to get 5X200 lol. Thats Machado money.

Yeah I could have swore I seen that on mlbtr, I went back and looked and couldn't find it. Maybe I was high lol because that number seems astronomical. He will still probably get 27-30/year, which is still too much IMO.

I dont know if he even gets that much. Chris Davis was in a similar situation to Martinez and he got 23M/yr for 7 years. Last year EE was coming off a few very good power seasons and he only got 20M/yr. Martinez isn't a good defender and is often injured. I cant see anyone going any higher than 6◊25...and even that may be too high the way power has been losing value the last couple off seasons. Even Boston, the team that gave David Price 210 over 7 years is only willing to go 5. I doubt that deal is 5◊30. Its probably more like 5x20.

Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    I dont know if he even gets that much. Chris Davis was in a similar situation to Martinez and he got 23M/yr for 7 years. Last year EE was coming off a few very good power seasons and he only got 20M/yr. Martinez isn't a good defender and is often injured. I cant see anyone going any higher than 6◊25...and even that may be too high the way power has been losing value the last couple off seasons. Even Boston, the team that gave David Price 210 over 7 years is only willing to go 5. I doubt that deal is 5◊30. Its probably more like 5x20.
    I was thinking the same price. Then I wondered if we should overpay to get him and match the dollars on one year less term. 4/100. Itís a lot but it not a long time crippler.

I would do it, but it sounds like that is more money than they have to spend. If they can only get one, I think I would rather get the cheaper Cain. He's a MUCH better defender, he's more versatile and he could be a great lead off hitter in front of Travis and/or Donaldson.

Quote Originally Posted by mikepelfrey View Post
    If fans aren't vocal about their dissatisfaction will it ever change?
    It was covered pretty well in a previous reply.

If you get to a party and the party sucks what do you do? You can leave, of course. Or you can stay and make the best of it. If you stay you might even find a few like minded individuals and share a few laughs - man this party kinda sucks!

But if you complain consistently and to the point where people hear you over the music then it's only a matter of time before people get annoyed. There are better parties, yes. But we didn't choose this one nor can we realistically change it in here. All we can do is enjoy it for what it is.

It was hard for me to write this. I think it's fairly evident to any one who posts here that you are a good person, and you know I have always liked you. You are valuable to this forum and I applaud your conviction and high standards. But this is where the party metaphor diverges from the current reality. Because there is nobody here who can do a darn thing about it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

I would do it, but it sounds like that is more money than they have to spend. If they can only get one, I think I would rather get the cheaper Cain. He's a MUCH better defender, he's more versatile and he could be a great lead off hitter in front of Travis and/or Donaldson.
    Bingo! Mind you I don't mind seeing Travis leadoff except we don't know if he'll be healthy this season. Cain brings something the Jays lack right now and if Travis is healthy having Cain and Travis hit in front of JD and Smoak will produce a better offense than last years.

Pillar in the leadoff spot is just absurd. Carrera is fine as a leadoff bat only occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    It was covered pretty well in a previous reply.

If you get to a party and the party sucks what do you do? You can leave, of course. Or you can stay and make the best of it. If you stay you might even find a few like minded individuals and share a few laughs - man this party kinda sucks!

But if you complain consistently and to the point where people hear you over the music then it's only a matter of time before people get annoyed. There are better parties, yes. But we didn't choose this one nor can we realistically change it in here. All we can do is enjoy it for what it is.

It was hard for me to write this. I think it's fairly evident to any one who posts here that you are a good person, and you know I have always liked you. You are valuable to this forum and I applaud your conviction and high standards. But this is where the party metaphor diverges from the current reality. Because there is nobody here who can do a darn thing about it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk
    point taken, and i appreciate the constructive criticism, Ill try to be more positive . its hard to do with the lack of direction

That's a fair point. But I don't feel like he transforms the offense like Martinez. And also Cain loses a ton of value by shifting him to a corner spot.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    That's a fair point. But I don't feel like he transforms the offense like Martinez. And also Cain loses a ton of value by shifting him to a corner spot.
    I think it depends on the team needs. For example wouldn't Cain be a better fit for the Jays and less for the Red Sox whereas Martinez would help the Sox more than the Jays?

Quote Originally Posted by FLeays View Post
    I think it depends on the team needs. For example wouldn't Cain be a better fit for the Jays and less for the Red Sox whereas Martinez would help the Sox more than the Jays?
    I disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by FLeays View Post
    The Jays could def use a speedy, versatile OF who can hit a lot more than the Red Sox, but we could both use Martinez. ..other than the Yankees who have Judge and Stanton I think every team could use a slugger as good as Martinez.

I think we also actually need Martinez more than they do though with their current OF of Benitendi, Bradley and Betts. Bradley struggled a little offensively last year, but was great the year before, is still an exceptional CF and was a 2.8 WAR player. He could easily be a 4-5 WAR player again though this year...

As badly as we need a leadoff hitter I'd much rather have a .300 hitter who can mash 40HR.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    As badly as we need a leadoff hitter I'd much rather have a .300 hitter who can mash 40HR.
    we need both, but of i can only have 1, im with you.those hrs equal impact

rickey henderson was great because he gave you both

Quote Originally Posted by mikepelfrey View Post
    we need both, but of i can only have 1, im with you.those hrs equal impact

rickey henderson was great because he gave you both
    Are you implying Henderson was a power hitter?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast