Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 82
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    13,013

    Anyone Want a Cheap Moose?

    The Mets may make a run at signing free agent 3B Mike Moustakas, with John Harper of the NY Daily News suggesting the team is monitoring the situation.

    Harper goes on to note that "sources with knowledge of the Mets' plans" have informed him that the team plans to do more this offseason than has been recently reported.

    Joel Sherman of the NY Post reported last month that the Mets were tentatively set to reduce payroll by $20 million, meaning they would have only $10 million to spend for the rest of the offseason.

    Moustakas hit .272/.314/.521 with a career-high 38 HR and 85 RBI in 148 games last season for the Royals. He was worth -8 DRS at third base after being a positive defender at the position in 2015 and 2016.
    https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/report-...tion/264309074

    Maybe "cheap" is a stretch, but he may have to settle for a one-year deal at this point. Let's forget our perpetual budget crunch for a moment--let's say you're given the option of signing Moustakas to a one-year deal and putting Asdrubal at 2B versus signing Neil Walker to a two-year deal and putting Asdrubal at 3B? What do you prefer?
    "We're snakebitten, baby." --Fred Wilpon

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    13,013
    Moustakas is vastly overrated by those who look at his surface stats--38 homers is obviously sexy, but the guy doesn't walk, he's extremely slow, and played a very poor 3B last season. I'd much rather bring Neil back and platoon Cabrera and Flores at 3B. Neil has proven himself in Queens (whatever that's worth), he's an awesome clubhouse guy, and he would likely provide equal or greater value as Moose at a lower annual cost.

    My one pro-Moose argument is it would leave 2B open for Flores. I really wish we'd give Flores a shot to start at 2B everyday. He won't become an above average defensive player, but 2B would shield a lot of his throwing woes, and if his bat continues to develop, I think it's more likely than not he's a superior offensive player to both Moose and Walker. I really don't think a 120 wRC+ is out of the question. The guy just needs a position.
    "We're snakebitten, baby." --Fred Wilpon

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    60ft 6in away
    Posts
    7,896
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ5382 View Post
    Moustakas is vastly overrated by those who look at his surface stats--38 homers is obviously sexy, but the guy doesn't walk, he's extremely slow, and played a very poor 3B last season. I'd much rather bring Neil back and platoon Cabrera and Flores at 3B. Neil has proven himself in Queens (whatever that's worth), he's an awesome clubhouse guy, and he would likely provide equal or greater value as Moose at a lower annual cost.

    My one pro-Moose argument is it would leave 2B open for Flores. I really wish we'd give Flores a shot to start at 2B everyday. He won't become an above average defensive player, but 2B would shield a lot of his throwing woes, and if his bat continues to develop, I think it's more likely than not he's a superior offensive player to both Moose and Walker. I really don't think a 120 wRC+ is out of the question. The guy just needs a position.
    Our defense would be sooooo bad.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    6,727
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ5382:32081543
    Moustakas is vastly overrated by those who look at his surface stats--38 homers is obviously sexy, but the guy doesn't walk, he's extremely slow, and played a very poor 3B last season. I'd much rather bring Neil back and platoon Cabrera and Flores at 3B. Neil has proven himself in Queens (whatever that's worth), he's an awesome clubhouse guy, and he would likely provide equal or greater value as Moose at a lower annual cost.

    My one pro-Moose argument is it would leave 2B open for Flores. I really wish we'd give Flores a shot to start at 2B everyday. He won't become an above average defensive player, but 2B would shield a lot of his throwing woes, and if his bat continues to develop, I think it's more likely than not he's a superior offensive player to both Moose and Walker. I really don't think a 120 wRC+ is out of the question. The guy just needs a position.
    How does signing Moose mean 2B is open to Flores? It seems it would actually mean Flores gets more bench time with Asdrubal moving to 2B.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    6,727
    It's also funny that everyone complains about not doing anything, but when a rumor surfaces about the Mets being interested in one of the better free agents available, at a position of need, people wanna still complain and be against such a move.

    Give me Moustakas over Frazier any day. We don't need a 220 or below hitter.
    Last edited by bklynny67; 01-05-2018 at 06:24 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    11,026
    damned if they do, damned if they dont.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn New York
    Posts
    16,862
    I would happily take Moustakas on no more than a 4 year deal. I think he needs to do some conditioning but he could very well put up several 3 WAR seasons.

    Moustakas and McCutchen...get it done Omar.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    11,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    I would happily take Moustakas on no more than a 4 year deal. I think he needs to do some conditioning but he could very well put up several 3 WAR seasons.

    Moustakas and McCutchen...get it done Omar.
    i would love Cutch if he could still play CF at a high level...also 1 year and 15 million. Seems like the type of guy someone might say "we spent all of our money on one player".

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    91,413
    I said it before, he is Bruce at 3rd base production.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cool Ranch, NM
    Posts
    28,302
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ5382 View Post
    Moustakas is vastly overrated by those who look at his surface stats--38 homers is obviously sexy, but the guy doesn't walk, he's extremely slow, and played a very poor 3B last season. I'd much rather bring Neil back and platoon Cabrera and Flores at 3B. Neil has proven himself in Queens (whatever that's worth), he's an awesome clubhouse guy, and he would likely provide equal or greater value as Moose at a lower annual cost.

    My one pro-Moose argument is it would leave 2B open for Flores. I really wish we'd give Flores a shot to start at 2B everyday. He won't become an above average defensive player, but 2B would shield a lot of his throwing woes, and if his bat continues to develop, I think it's more likely than not he's a superior offensive player to both Moose and Walker. I really don't think a 120 wRC+ is out of the question. The guy just needs a position.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post
    Our defense would be sooooo bad.
    Moustakis has always been an above average defender at 3B with plus ranger. Last year was the exception. He's an overrated hitter due to his lack of patience and OBP skills, but he's still the best 3B on the market and at 29 years old is worth a 4 year deal in the $60-70 Mil range. I wouldn't give him any more than that in years or money though.

    He's be our best defensive 3B since prime David Wright and between him and Rosario, our left side of the infield would be the best it's been defensively in a long while.
    Last edited by Wrigheyes4MVP; 01-05-2018 at 07:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Patito View Post
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cool Ranch, NM
    Posts
    28,302
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    I said it before, he is Bruce at 3rd base production.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He strikes out less than Bruce, but has less of a track record in terms of showing the big power numbers. I think Bruce is also a bit more patient at the plate.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Patito View Post
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    29,244
    Pass

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    Posts
    22,849
    I'm open to any free agent signing that improves the team. In addition, open to any trade that does not include Noah or deGrom.

    Sorry Sex, but that includes your availability too.

    We've got to look at the big picture.
    Couldn't Make The Cut As A Denver Broncos Cheerleader

    Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since '87

    uapeople you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P. - SPRING 2011

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    416
    Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    It's also funny that everyone complains about not doing anything, but when a rumor surfaces about the Mets being interested in one of the better free agents available, at a position of need, people wanna still complain and be against such a move.

    Give me Moustakas over Frazier any day. We don't need a 220 or below hitter.
    could not agree with you more

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    60ft 6in away
    Posts
    7,896
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrigheyes4MVP View Post
    Moustakis has always been an above average defender at 3B with plus ranger. Last year was the exception. He's an overrated hitter due to his lack of patience and OBP skills, but he's still the best 3B on the market and at 29 years old is worth a 4 year deal in the $60-70 Mil range. I wouldn't give him any more than that in years or money though.

    He's be our best defensive 3B since prime David Wright and between him and Rosario, our left side of the infield would be the best it's been defensively in a long while.
    I call shenanigans. He missed a lot of the previous year due to a knee injury. Last year his range goes to ****. The bad defensive version of Mike Moustakis might very well just be who he is now. Pre-injury Moustakis was a strong defender, but now it's a serious gamble. Bouncing back from terrible statistical seasons isn't uncommon, but the fact that his defense got so bad so fast AND immediately followed a major knee injury makes me think he might never regain his old form.

    So by this time next year, we might be again in the market for a 3B, since Moose can't play there anymore.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •