Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Anyone Want a Cheap Moose?

The Mets may make a run at signing free agent 3B Mike Moustakas, with John Harper of the NY Daily News suggesting the team is monitoring the situation.

Harper goes on to note that "sources with knowledge of the Mets' plans" have informed him that the team plans to do more this offseason than has been recently reported.

Joel Sherman of the NY Post reported last month that the Mets were tentatively set to reduce payroll by $20 million, meaning they would have only $10 million to spend for the rest of the offseason.

Moustakas hit .272/.314/.521 with a career-high 38 HR and 85 RBI in 148 games last season for the Royals. He was worth -8 DRS at third base after being a positive defender at the position in 2015 and 2016.
    https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/report-...tion/264309074

Maybe "cheap" is a stretch, but he may have to settle for a one-year deal at this point. Let's forget our perpetual budget crunch for a moment--let's say you're given the option of signing Moustakas to a one-year deal and putting Asdrubal at 2B versus signing Neil Walker to a two-year deal and putting Asdrubal at 3B? What do you prefer?
    "We're snakebitten, baby." --Fred Wilpon

Moustakas is vastly overrated by those who look at his surface stats--38 homers is obviously sexy, but the guy doesn't walk, he's extremely slow, and played a very poor 3B last season. I'd much rather bring Neil back and platoon Cabrera and Flores at 3B. Neil has proven himself in Queens (whatever that's worth), he's an awesome clubhouse guy, and he would likely provide equal or greater value as Moose at a lower annual cost.

My one pro-Moose argument is it would leave 2B open for Flores. I really wish we'd give Flores a shot to start at 2B everyday. He won't become an above average defensive player, but 2B would shield a lot of his throwing woes, and if his bat continues to develop, I think it's more likely than not he's a superior offensive player to both Moose and Walker. I really don't think a 120 wRC+ is out of the question. The guy just needs a position.
    "We're snakebitten, baby." --Fred Wilpon

Quote Originally Posted by SJ5382 View Post
    Moustakas is vastly overrated by those who look at his surface stats--38 homers is obviously sexy, but the guy doesn't walk, he's extremely slow, and played a very poor 3B last season. I'd much rather bring Neil back and platoon Cabrera and Flores at 3B. Neil has proven himself in Queens (whatever that's worth), he's an awesome clubhouse guy, and he would likely provide equal or greater value as Moose at a lower annual cost.

My one pro-Moose argument is it would leave 2B open for Flores. I really wish we'd give Flores a shot to start at 2B everyday. He won't become an above average defensive player, but 2B would shield a lot of his throwing woes, and if his bat continues to develop, I think it's more likely than not he's a superior offensive player to both Moose and Walker. I really don't think a 120 wRC+ is out of the question. The guy just needs a position.
    Our defense would be sooooo bad.

Quote Originally Posted by SJ5382:32081543

How does signing Moose mean 2B is open to Flores? It seems it would actually mean Flores gets more bench time with Asdrubal moving to 2B.

It's also funny that everyone complains about not doing anything, but when a rumor surfaces about the Mets being interested in one of the better free agents available, at a position of need, people wanna still complain and be against such a move.

Give me Moustakas over Frazier any day. We don't need a 220 or below hitter.
    Last edited by bklynny67; 01-05-2018 at 06:24 PM.

damned if they do, damned if they dont.

I would happily take Moustakas on no more than a 4 year deal. I think he needs to do some conditioning but he could very well put up several 3 WAR seasons.

Moustakas and McCutchen...get it done Omar.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    I would happily take Moustakas on no more than a 4 year deal. I think he needs to do some conditioning but he could very well put up several 3 WAR seasons.

Moustakas and McCutchen...get it done Omar.
    i would love Cutch if he could still play CF at a high level...also 1 year and 15 million. Seems like the type of guy someone might say "we spent all of our money on one player".

I said it before, he is Bruce at 3rd base production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SJ5382 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post
    Our defense would be sooooo bad.
    Moustakis has always been an above average defender at 3B with plus ranger. Last year was the exception. He's an overrated hitter due to his lack of patience and OBP skills, but he's still the best 3B on the market and at 29 years old is worth a 4 year deal in the $60-70 Mil range. I wouldn't give him any more than that in years or money though.

He's be our best defensive 3B since prime David Wright and between him and Rosario, our left side of the infield would be the best it's been defensively in a long while.
    Last edited by Wrigheyes4MVP; 01-05-2018 at 07:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Patito View Post
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    I said it before, he is Bruce at 3rd base production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He strikes out less than Bruce, but has less of a track record in terms of showing the big power numbers. I think Bruce is also a bit more patient at the plate.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Patito View Post
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

Pass

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    I'm open to any free agent signing that improves the team. In addition, open to any trade that does not include Noah or deGrom.

Sorry Sex, but that includes your availability too.

We've got to look at the big picture.
    Couldn't Make The Cut As A Denver Broncos Cheerleader

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since '87

uapeople you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P. - SPRING 2011

Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    It's also funny that everyone complains about not doing anything, but when a rumor surfaces about the Mets being interested in one of the better free agents available, at a position of need, people wanna still complain and be against such a move.

Give me Moustakas over Frazier any day. We don't need a 220 or below hitter.
    could not agree with you more

Quote Originally Posted by Wrigheyes4MVP View Post
    Moustakis has always been an above average defender at 3B with plus ranger. Last year was the exception. He's an overrated hitter due to his lack of patience and OBP skills, but he's still the best 3B on the market and at 29 years old is worth a 4 year deal in the $60-70 Mil range. I wouldn't give him any more than that in years or money though.

He's be our best defensive 3B since prime David Wright and between him and Rosario, our left side of the infield would be the best it's been defensively in a long while.
    I call shenanigans. He missed a lot of the previous year due to a knee injury. Last year his range goes to ****. The bad defensive version of Mike Moustakis might very well just be who he is now. Pre-injury Moustakis was a strong defender, but now it's a serious gamble. Bouncing back from terrible statistical seasons isn't uncommon, but the fact that his defense got so bad so fast AND immediately followed a major knee injury makes me think he might never regain his old form.

So by this time next year, we might be again in the market for a 3B, since Moose can't play there anymore.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast