Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Which player was the best player?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Michael Jordan

18 78.26%
  • LeBron James

5 21.74%
  • Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

0 0%
  • Wilt Chamberlain

0 0%
  • Shaquille O'Neal

0 0%
  • Tim Duncan

0 0%
  • Magic Johnson

0 0%
  • Larry Bird

0 0%
  • Kobe Bryant

0 0%
  • Hakeem Olajuwon

0 0%
  • Other (please specify in the comments)

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Best Player of All-Time List (#1)

So we do a "Top 25 greatest players of all-time list" routinely here on PSD, but I want to do an all-time list of best, not greatest.

What is the difference?

This is not a list that measures a players accolades or career, it is a list of simply, if all the players were at their peak/in their prime/at their best (however you describe it) and all in a draft, who would you take first to play against each other in a draft?

Who are the best players throughout NBA history. You can use stats or accolades to back up your opinion, but this is about who is best, not who made the most All-NBA teams, or who scored the most points, etc. If you think player A is better than player B despite them having a shorter career, vote for player A.

I have started the poll with 10 players. If you wish to vote for someone else, please vote for other and post who you voted for in the comments. If you wish to nominate someone (or multiple people) for the next poll, post in the comments and I will add them if there are at least 2 nominations for that player.

In the event of a tie vote, they will both be listed at that number and the next player will begin where that is left off (for instance, T-6th, T-6th, 8th)

It's still MJ. In fact, because we're taking longevity out of the equation, it makes the case for Jordan even easier. The only guy you might be able to make a case for (and I certainly wouldn't try) might be Wilt and the ridiculous production he put up for the Warriors in the early 60s.

Thanks for starting this, Valade! This should be fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Giannis94 View Post
    Bucks vs raptors in the ECF. Mark my words.

Going with Jordan here, then LeBron.
    RIP lol, please!

8/1/2011 - 01/28/2018

You may not be with us anymore but your name, legacy, and what you stood for will last forever!

I went with LeBron because of his ability to be anything and everything to a team. Jordan had a lot of versatility, but LeBron is a decent option at every position.
    It's difficult to tell who's the greatest, because everything is based on the contest of the era. Could Jordan shoot a large amount of threes at a high percentage? Would his defense translate to the current NBA's rules, where refs are more liberal with foul calls? I'm pretty sure LeBron would still be the best athlete in the league, regardless of whether it's the '80s, '90s, '00s or '10s.

Quote Originally Posted by mrblisterdundee View Post
    I went with LeBron because of his ability to be anything and everything to a team. Jordan had a lot of versatility, but nothing like LeBron's.
    It's difficult to tell who's the greatest, because everything is based on the contest of the era. Could Jordan shoot a large amount of threes at a high percentage? Would his defense translate to the current NBA's rules, where refs are more liberal with foul calls? I'm pretty sure LeBron would still be the best athlete in the league, regardless of whether it's the '80s, '90s, '00s or '10s.
    Do we have reason to believe he couldn't? Here are all the seasons MJ shot near or over 2 3's per game:

1995: 1.9 attempts, 50%
    1993: 2.9 attempts, 35.2%
    1990: 3.0 attempts, 37.6%
    1996: 3.2 attempts, 42.7%
    1997: 3.6 attempts, 37.4%

Granted 2 of those years were when the moved up the 3-point line, but the trend is pretty clear, anytime he started shooting a regular amount of 3's per game in a season, he started hitting them at a positive rate.

He also managed to shoot well from 3 in the playoffs during his peak too. I can't see a reason why Jordan wouldn't develop into a good enough 3 point shooter to still dominate the NBA, furthermore, given Wade's ability to dominate without a 3 point shot (and currently DeRozan's), I don't really foresee it impacting him much even if he couldn't shoot a 3.

Wilt as my big/1st overall pick

Oscar or Jordan or Iverson to form a dynamic inside out duo

Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    MJ

#2 should be a war between Wilt, LeBron, and KAREEM. He better not slip. He dominated.
    Curry says hi

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

MJ

#2 should be a war between Wilt, LeBron, and KAREEM. He better not slip. He dominated.

Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

Peak Wade was RIDICULOUS. I would consider him for top 10 depending on how this shapes up

Great thread OP! How much weight are we deeming team success here just out of curiosity

Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    MJ

I was going to post my top tier and saw this. Add shaq IMO and that is it.

Quote Originally Posted by lol, please View Post
    Curry says hi

No he doesn't!
    RIP lol, please!

8/1/2011 - 01/28/2018

You may not be with us anymore but your name, legacy, and what you stood for will last forever!

even tho ive never witnessed it myself peak Wade is beyond insane so im going with him closely followed by bron

Quote Originally Posted by lol, please View Post
    Curry says hi

Lol why is curry saying hi, is that because no-one expects him to be in attendance?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

Quote Originally Posted by HandsOnTheWheel View Post
    Great thread OP! How much weight are we deeming team success here just out of curiosity
    In terms of how much weight you have to give to team success, absolutely none.

In terms of how much you think a player's individual ability contributed to team success, it's up to you.

For example, if you think that T-Mac was a better player flat out than Kobe despite Kobe's 5 titles, vote T-Mac. If you think Kobe's team success is as a result of him being the superior player to T-Mac, vote Kobe.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast