Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    After reading this piece, I have to conclude keeping both Jimmy and Brady next year was a pipe dream. One of them would have had to go and they decided it was JG now. I think they could have gotten more for him but BB was hamstrung with no backup Qb and needed Hoyer.

https://nesn.com/2018/01/can-we-stop...mmy-garoppolo/

Quote Originally Posted by TKO View Post
    Shocked? I think your viewpoint is affecting what you're reading. He wasn't expecting to hear that trade but from what I read, he said this:

“I assumed once the season started, we’d talk again at the end of the season about it. The next time I spoke with Bill about it was the Monday before the trade deadline. He called me on that Monday and said he got a deal with San Francisco, Jimmy for a second-round pick and [quarterback] Brian Hoyer. Turns out they had to cut Hoyer and then we got him. But really, this was basically a second-round pick and Brian Hoyer for Jimmy. Bill asked me if I was OK with this. I was really taken aback a little bit. I wanted to think about it. I talked to Jonathan, who was okay with it, and I called Bill back and said, ‘OK.’”

Taken aback a little bit doesn't mean "shocked" as you suggest IMO.
    You conveniently overlooked the REALLY in "really taken aback a little bit". Sounds like he's suggesting surprise/shock but couching it.

BTW, this was < 24 hours after the group statement with BB & TB (unless Peter King sat on the comments). If nothing else, those remarks were irresponsible and ambiguous. Total CYA as Tomase noted.

Quote Originally Posted by elements1985 View Post
    You conveniently overlooked the REALLY in "really taken aback a little bit". Sounds like he's suggesting surprise/shock but couching it.

BTW, this was < 24 hours after the group statement with BB & TB (unless Peter King sat on the comments). If nothing else, those remarks were irresponsible and ambiguous. Total CYA as Tomase noted.
    JG was always in their plans, until they had to change, so I don't have a problem with Bob being "really" taken back a little bit when BB called him with the trade proposal. Bob is the owner and would have to be ready for questions too so why shouldn't he be informed?

From BB's mouth today in reply to Reiss about this story,

"We've been through this before Mike" then went on to say, I'm not commenting on inaccurate, baseless, unattributable and random comments that you want to report on.

I guess that seals the deal.

Rapoport tweet:

Patriots coach Bill Belichick tells reporters he “absolutely” plans to coach New England next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakmont_4 View Post
    I can't believe so many people here bought into this nonsensical BS article by a no good political/TMZ network.
    This is the quintessential "they hate us cuz they ain't us" response. No logic or countering facts, just discredit the source.

Let's suppose the Wickersham report is nothing but a hit piece designed to placate a jealous and bitter national audience:

A) We're supposed to believe the most prepared organization in sports, lead by a coach who ruminates over the freaking 53rd roster spot, just whimsically moved one of the most treasured assets in all of sports for a measly 2nd round pick? No negotiations with other NFC franchises, just a quick and decisive 10 minute call to Lynch? I don't believe that.

B) How do you explain the disparate local reports that tie into the ESPN piece? If Belichick and Brady are under contract for the foreseeable future, team just coming off a 13-3 season in a garbage division, why would Tom Curran report that air around this 2017 season has an “end of the party” scent to it? Just because the OC & DC could be departing? Alternatively, you don't think the departure of coaches (like McDaniels) reflect a pulse within the organization on the team's future?

C) You don't see the Guerrero-Belichick conflict as a battle within a broader organizational war (for lack of a better term)? Since 2000, the entire ethos of the franchise has been "next man up, nobody is bigger than the team". Meanwhile you had the star quarterback and his business partner entrenched in the Patriots locker room, giving alternative medical advice, and undermining the FT training staff and coach. And that same star quarterback (allegedly, this detail is muddy) campaigned to the owner to have his chief competitor moved?

This isn't hyperbole: the Garappolo deal was one of the worst trades I've seen in my lifetime (at least in terms of a mismanaged asset). If you're expecting me to believe the shrewdest and most brilliant football mind just flippantly rolled out of bed and consummated that because time had run out, you are drinking the Kool Aid my friend.

A) We're supposed to believe the most prepared organization in sports, lead by a coach who ruminates over the freaking 53rd roster spot, just whimsically moved one of the most treasured assets in all of sports for a measly 2nd round pick? No negotiations with other NFC franchises, just a quick and decisive 10 minute call to Lynch? I don't believe that.
    All they did was win SBs after trading the untradeable Seymour, Mankins, Chandler Jones and Collins. And we can add Jimmy at some point IMO.

From BB's mouth today in reply to Reiss about this story,

"We've been through this before Mike" then went on to say, I'm not commenting on inaccurate, baseless, unattributable and random comments that you want to report on.

I guess that seals the deal.
    Yup, because Belichick shows levity when dealing with distractions. If this story were true, he would obviously open up so the entire team gets besieged with ceaseless questions from the media. Nothing to see here.

C'mon: BK, BB & TB all understand the significance of winning #6 and have a vested interest in creating a climate of stability so players are focused . This is about the future, not necessarily the present.

All they did was win SBs after trading the untradeable Seymour, Mankins, Chandler Jones and Collins. And we can add Jimmy at some point IMO.
    That's an awful comparison: aging veterans (some of whom uncoachable and detrimental to the locker room) versus a promising, young QB in a passing league?

JG --> Seymour makes no sense whatsoever.

B) How do you explain the disparate local reports that tie into the ESPN piece? If Belichick and Brady are under contract for the foreseeable future, team just coming off a 13-3 season in a garbage division, why would Tom Curran report that air around this 2017 season has an “end of the party” scent to it? Just because the OC & DC could be departing? Alternatively, you don't think the departure of coaches (like McDaniels) reflect a pulse within the organization on the team's future?
    If you too are referring to Curran, he has this to say today:

I was told more than once that Robert Kraft didn't tell Bill Belichick he wasn’t allowed to trade or release Tom Brady. However, I was also told that if Belichick had brought it up, he would have been discouraged from doing so. So either a) the conversation never happened but Belichick knew which way the wind was blowing and moved Garoppolo, or b) the conversation did happen and I’m being misled. Third option, the one nobody gives any credence to? The Patriots couldn’t figure a way to work it out. In his press conference after trading Garoppolo, Belichick said, “It’s just not sustainable given the way that things are set up. It’s definitely not something we wanted to walk away from and I felt like we rode it out as long as we could. We over a period of time explored every option possible to sustain it but just at this point felt like we had to make a decision. It’s a very complex situation on multiple levels and this is really the last window we had.”

There's nothing to see here folks...move along. Any way you look at it, it's all just conjecture and opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    I believe BB knows that, so he'd have the trade made before too much time passed. Yes we saw with Cassel who played more but appeared to have a lesser ceiling than JG that a an old vet BB wanted gone was added to the deal. Check. Plus the added advantage of JG's presence in case of injury to TB. Also teams plan on having available money in the Spring so taking on a tag number or extending it is possible for a lot more teams than at the deadline as I pointed out.
    Yeah... doesn’t negate anything I said. Franchising a player hurts you in multiple ways as well as the players value.

Please. I have my detractors for being snippy, but, those that know my writing in the C's, Red Sox, and this board over the past 10 years know I think a lot more globally and forward than the average "he sucks!" fan.

TB has faced the weather getting worse his whole career after the end of October. You actually want to count that as a reason he's had issues VS all his other years since he was a real grown up QB - say 2003/ You don't get to count that. Is your case really so weak you have to sneak that one in?

Key players hurt - no Gronk lots of times, no such Nov-Dec records for Brady. Welker out. Moss declining. 2007 he lost his key running back in the what 6th game vs Dallas? We were all going nuts at the start of the season that he had so many weapons. He's had a good back or 2 or 3 available in every game. Gronk has has one of his healiest years. He's got a WR with more yards than any other WR but Moss *I believe* in Cooks. Amendola has been around. The only line-man he lost that matters is Cannon and the troubles are on the left not right side with Solder. He's had way more than he had in '06 or '05, and let's be fair '01 and '02.
    And he was better this year than all of those years. You just want to find something to complain about now that a story came out and you don’t want BB to look bad.

Hahahha Rubbish. Take a look at red zone TD's and Int's - QB Rating too I believe. Take a look at the Philly record last year vs the Pats too, lesser roster.
    Wrong again buddy. This is too easy. Stats through 13 weeks (the week Wentz got injured).

Player: Brady - Wentz
    Cmp%: 67% - 60%
    Yards: 3865 - 3296
    Y/A: 8 - 7.5
    QB Rate: 105.2 - 101.9
    TD: 27 - 33
    INT: 6 - 7

Brady was clearly better. If you’re not even willing to look at facts, stop responding to me.

You want me to start and interrupt the garbage fest out of your mouth? No way, you're doing a great job of showing what a real fan boy can do. Atta BOY!
    So you’re not going to take back the false statement after I just proved it wrong? Classic bagwell, he’s never been wrong.

Actuarial tables sonny. Figure out what they are and apply them to the NFL and QB's. Outliers? Farve, Elway, Brady. Goodness knows don't look at Unitas, Starr, Jurgensen, Montana, Young, Griese and all the others. Rules help him a bit now, but, lots of D guys would take the $50k fine to end Brady with a low/late hit.

History. You TB devotees are the ones steeped in history. I'm the one that's looking to the future.
    A lot of guys would take the fine? Why hasn’t it happened?

Keep saying Brady will decline, sooner or later you’ll be right lol.
    Last edited by Green_Monster; 01-08-2018 at 01:17 PM.

That's an awful comparison: aging veterans (some of whom uncoachable and detrimental to the locker room) versus a promising, young QB in a passing league?

JG --> Seymour makes no sense whatsoever.

Brady is the odds on favorite to win MVP this year. They know what they have and so they went with him. I think it's the short term solution and they could have gotten more but the move has merit.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakmont_4 View Post
    I can't believe so many people here bought into this nonsensical BS article by a no good political/TMZ network.
    Seth Wickersham is the author of pieces such as the one about warm Gatorade, spies in the hills above the Seahawks practice field at Super Bowl XLIX and a billboard that shows replays to the Patriots sidelines.

But it’s a new story so people eat it up and forget about his past.

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Monster View Post
    Seth Wickersham is the author of pieces such as the one about warm Gatorade, spies in the hills above the Seahawks practice field at Super Bowl XLIX and a billboard that shows replays to the Patriots sidelines.

But it’s a new story so people eat it up and forget about his past.

LOL! BSPN wants to stop firing people and needs those "clicks".

I have no doubt there are tensions inside the organization but there is a lot in the story that screams "click bait" something I've felt with some of Wickersham's other articles. He also gets some of his facts wrong. Add that Peter King says that Kraft was genuinely furious at the idea he interfered and point blank denied that a meeting to discuss Jimmy G took place and the article is on less solid ground. I'm sure Wickersham got some of it right but enough wrong that it's anyone's guess as to which is which.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast