Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Just when did Tim Duncan's prime run end? Dirk and KG too.

These guys were so consistent and gradual in their descent from dominance that it's harder to pin point when it began and when it truly took hold. Given the subjective nature of the word prime, there is no truly wrong answer.
    Opine away

Hate the term prime in sports because 90% of the knuckleheads think I mean prime of an adult life, not prime of a players career. Vastly different.

Doesn't help either that people try to point to production drop off, but that's situational to me. You can be in your prime in a lesser role. Prime for me is always, can the player still play at an elite level. If the answer is yes then they are still in their prime in my book. They don't need to actually do it day in and day out.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

#Dynasty

Quote Originally Posted by europagnpilgrim View Post
    Put Iverson on this Warriors [instead of Curry] and they would be just as scary and play at even a faster pace, Iverson with those weapons getting wide open looks would be scary
    lol, Please' top 10 p4p: Golovkin/Ward/Kovalev/Fury/Lomachenko/Rigondeaux/Gonzalez/Bradley/Rungvisai

Boxing Fan? Come Discuss Boxing!

They were forgot about when Wade LeBron and Kobe took over the league honestly.
    https://s26.postimg.org/a20wgmf49/20969116_474690526257462_6125363099198291968_n.jpg

Looks good in that wine and gold, CavsNation were coming!!!!

Duncan prime was from 97-when Lebron dunked on him, no but seriously from around 97-Leonard pick, that's about right

KG from 95-Boston injury, just did him in really bad as far as his defense which was primarily his staple along with his 20/10 floor game

Dirk, 98-2011

most of the top/best players get a strong decade to 12yr run, its why this Lebron run has minds boggled at year 15

Quote Originally Posted by WaDe03 View Post
    They were forgot about when Wade LeBron and Kobe took over the league honestly.
    Yeah the sissy *** rules that help the perimeter players also helped mitigate the true back to the basket big man also. It effected Duncan more offensively vs. Dirk and KG.

How about Kobe and Shaq

Quote Originally Posted by europagnpilgrim View Post
    Duncan prime was from 97-when Lebron dunked on him, no but seriously from around 97-Leonard pick, that's about right

KG from 95-Boston injury, just did him in really bad as far as his defense which was primarily his staple along with his 20/10 floor game

Dirk, 98-2011

most of the top/best players get a strong decade to 12yr run, its why this Lebron run has minds boggled at year 15
    Duncan probably went a couple years after the Leonard pick honestly. All Defense and All NBA 3rd in the 2014-2015 season. Per 36 numbers were quite good, and he remained a defensive anchor

2012 was KG last elite year. Made the eastern finals that year.

Duncan took a back seat way before his time and rode that back seat at an elite level up until his last year.

KG's peak clearly ended after the 2009 injury. He was still solid after that but never the same.

Dirk I think 2011 is a good point.

Duncan is hard. He was really good up until his last season when his other knee gave out. As for peak it would take some real thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    How about Kobe and Shaq
    Shaq's second season in Miami his peak was over.

Kobe's peak ended in 2011. His knee was shot in the 2011 (really showed in the playoffs) and I never felt he got back to prime Kobe level.

The real question here is: When the hell will Bron's peak end? My God that man is a tank. All those minutes and still at this level. Most high school players who have large NBA minutes played are broken down or well declining at this point.
    Last edited by LOb0; 01-03-2018 at 09:41 PM.

The Truth Hurts.

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    Well... it depends on how you define prime.

You might say an 'All-Star' season or All-NBA season is a 'prime' season, and for most players, that would fit. But LBJ has been an all star every year and has not been in his prime every year, while Iggy made an all-star appearance in what wasn't his best season.

From the age of 21-37, TD averaged about 18-21 points and /11-12 boards per36 with over 2 blocks per36, but he also wasn't able to play starting minutes every year, and even when he was, didn't because Pop managed his minutes.

Defensively, he was likely nearly as effective at 36 as he was at 24, though more from jsut playing smart D, where as at 24 he was quicker. I mean... he was always a smart defender (D-Rob often relied on his athleticism to compensate for mistakes, whereas Duncan simply seldom made mistakes on D).

At 36, Duncan had an amazing defensive season (averaged 3.2 blocks per36: a career high), but when you look at his per-game averages, it's different. He clearly contributed the most on the court in the seasons when LA beat them, and during his second title run, but he played nearly as well o 2004 when Detroit won, and in 99 when he won his first title. In a sense, his prime was likely the Spurs were losing to the Lakers, or more broadly from 99-2004. But he played an HOF career even if you only took his career from 2005 onward.

So... it just depends on how you define it. how long was he an All-NBA player? How long was his peak? I dunno...
    Why did the chicken cross the basketball court?
    Because he heard the refs were blowing fowls.

The easiest marker is around 2009-2010 when his knee arthritis caused him to have to slim down significantly.

It wasn't until 2007 that he could reliably share scoring duties, but that was sort of only like the end of his major prime (i.e. MJ post '96 or Lebron post '14). He still was the most important offensive player probably until 2011 at least.

But he still played ~2500 minutes per year until 2010 so I think that's a fair mark in terms of volume. After that his game changed, minutes were less, and obviously the rules changes were now in near full-effect.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonJohnHorn View Post
    Well... it depends on how you define prime.

You might say an 'All-Star' season or All-NBA season is a 'prime' season, and for most players, that would fit. But LBJ has been an all star every year and has not been in his prime every year, while Iggy made an all-star appearance in what wasn't his best season.

From the age of 21-37, TD averaged about 18-21 points and /11-12 boards per36 with over 2 blocks per36, but he also wasn't able to play starting minutes every year, and even when he was, didn't because Pop managed his minutes.

Defensively, he was likely nearly as effective at 36 as he was at 24, though more from jsut playing smart D, where as at 24 he was quicker. I mean... he was always a smart defender (D-Rob often relied on his athleticism to compensate for mistakes, whereas Duncan simply seldom made mistakes on D).

At 36, Duncan had an amazing defensive season (averaged 3.2 blocks per36: a career high), but when you look at his per-game averages, it's different. He clearly contributed the most on the court in the seasons when LA beat them, and during his second title run, but he played nearly as well o 2004 when Detroit won, and in 99 when he won his first title. In a sense, his prime was likely the Spurs were losing to the Lakers, or more broadly from 99-2004. But he played an HOF career even if you only took his career from 2005 onward.

So... it just depends on how you define it. how long was he an All-NBA player? How long was his peak? I dunno...
    Agree

Dirk's 2011 Championship run where he almost single handedly willed a team of journeyman and over the hill teammates to a championship was the last year of his dominance. Injury and age caught up with him from 2012 on

Quote Originally Posted by zookman65 View Post
    Dirk's 2011 Championship run where he almost single handedly willed a team of journeyman and over the hill teammates to a championship was the last year of his dominance. Injury and age caught up with him from 2012 on
    I hate these exaggerations.

Tyson Chandler was still a defensive force and was damn near ad important to that team as Dirk since he had to cover his weakness on the defensive side.

Jason Terry and Shawn Marion were both still very solid players.

Jason Kidd wasn't a great scorer but he was still a very good all around player.

and jj barea was pretty solid.

Dirk didn't single handedly will ****.
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    It's different now than it was.

When he won the second one, Giants fans are here we're outside of their minds.
    That quote always cracks me up.

Quote Originally Posted by zookman65 View Post
    Also the fact that Cuban and Donnie kept the Mavs in disarray didnít help. I believe Dirk could have had about 3 more prime playing years if they had just put a real team around him.

And for those that havenít noticed or been paying attention, Dirk is actually having a decent year this year for a guy that is way past his prime. He also has said he wants to play 1 more year. I believe he wants that record of playing 21 years with the same team.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast