Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Grudens staff

Quote Originally Posted by donofdacourts:32079092

Nope completely different defenses. Guenthers defense literally has 6 guys on the line of scrimmage forcing the offensive front to have to account for all six even though he rarely blitzes all six guys. This also causes issues in the run game for opposing offensive linemen and allows for single coverage for our defensive linemen. The Vikings execute this defense to perfection.

The Bengals also had a great deal of success as well until the injuries mounted. If you can recall Guenther first career game as DC he came into the coliseum and embarrassed Oakland and led one of the top defenses into mid season till they were derailed by injuries on offense.
    Everything I've read about him, from both fan POV and analyst, describe his defense very similar to KNJ's. Despite having more talent at almost every defensive position (Aside from Mack, and maybe Irvin) they've declined in rankings in each of the past 3 years for both Points and Yards. It's entirely my opinion and I'll support whoever gets hired, but I think we need a coach who will run a blitz heavy 3-4 scheme with single high man coverage. Use Mack as the 3-4 OLB/DE he excels at. We've already seen how this unit performs with a soft zone 4-3 using no blitz packages. But what do I know I'm just a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by midwestlaker75 View Post
    I think the coordinators choices are cool, Guenther is solid, Cincinnati's defenses are always solid defenses...I wish he could bring Peko & Atkins with him, To team with Mack & Irvin.

Morton as OC is a solid choice also..Anybody that uses elements of New Orleans's offense is alright with me. I Have always felt that NO has one of the great offenses of recent history.

Gannon as QB coach.....No track record, Talks a good game...But, Can he coach we dont know yet. You run hot and cold with him. Carr seems to have a fragile psyche if you believe the reports. Gannon can be rough, Which I think Carr needs but you never know how some people react to that.

Olson: In a undisclosed offensive position: As long as he is not calling plays. Good teacher, Bad play caller.

ST: Bisaccia from Dallas...Don't know a lot about him. I know Dallas's ST was at least solid to my knowledge. Must figure out way to use Cordarelle Patterson better.

The real trick will be the sub-coodinator position coaches. DL, LB, CB, OL, WR/TE and RB, etc.
    If I'm not mistaken Gruden is wanting Jeremiah Washburn at OL coach, formerly of the Bears.
    All aboard the Josey Jewell & Josh Jackson train.

krsonekth

mberr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by themadstork View Post
    Carr improved? Sure didnít look that way.

-Stork

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He regressed from his apex last season but he's still significantly better than he was in his first season as a Raider. Other than Mack and King, can you say that about any other Raider? And don't get technical with me and say that a guy like Condo or Janikowski is better now than he was as a rookie bc JDR & Co. didn't have anything to do with his development.

Guys that signed FA deals (eg Osemele, Crabtree), vets drafted by the Raiders (eg Gabe Jackson, Cooper, Walford), or young guys that are still mostly potential (eg Joseph, Vanderdoes)... whichever group of players you want to look at, they've either regressed or barely managed to tread water.

Quote Originally Posted by krsonekth View Post
    If I'm not mistaken Gruden is wanting Jeremiah Washburn at OL coach, formerly of the Bears.
    Well that didn't last long Washburn to Miami for OL coach so that isn't happening for Gruden, lol.

krsonekth

Looks like the story about Gannon becoming the Raiders QB coach is gaining some traction. Love to see Gannon impart some his blast furnace intensity to Derek along with his football IQ-if this actually happens.

Carr played as poorly this past season as he ever has.

Iíll bet heís having a lot of sleepless nights lately, imagining life with Gruden and Gannon.

-Stork

"Win some games, make the playoffs and show me you got some balls under the bright lights"

-tippa irie

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/...91877852274688

Greg Olsen set to become our OC.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mfarneti53 View Post
    Everything I've read about him, from both fan POV and analyst, describe his defense very similar to KNJ's. Despite having more talent at almost every defensive position (Aside from Mack, and maybe Irvin) they've declined in rankings in each of the past 3 years for both Points and Yards. It's entirely my opinion and I'll support whoever gets hired, but I think we need a coach who will run a blitz heavy 3-4 scheme with single high man coverage. Use Mack as the 3-4 OLB/DE he excels at. We've already seen how this unit performs with a soft zone 4-3 using no blitz packages. But what do I know I'm just a fan.
    Itís two different schemes, donít understand how you can look at the two defenses and think they are close to the same. KNJís defense was closer to a 3-4 than a 4-3. I could go own to describe the different philosophies of the two defenses, but instead Iíll let you do more research. Iíve looked up the scheme some time ago when Zimmer got the job in Minny. Then looked it up again the past few days.

As far as the Bengals go, if you have followed that team at all youíd know that they have had a ton of injuries the past several years as well as gotten older and lost some key players. Yet their defense has been better than ours every single one of those seasons.

I do question if we have the personnel to run his defense well. The Bengals slowly deteriorated and no longer have the talent to run it, the Vikings have the speed at LB to run it.

Olson and Guenther...can you feel the excitement? Lol, this is going to be ugly my friends.

-Stork

"Win some games, make the playoffs and show me you got some balls under the bright lights"

-tippa irie

Their are other reports that say Olson will be on the staff to help with offensive game planning and assist Gannon as QB coach. Stay tuned. Things seem fluid right now.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

If all this come to fruition Olson will be a glorified assistant. Gruden will call the shots on offense. I really do not know much about Guenther though I have a lot of respect for Mike Zimmer.

I do like the idea of Rich Gannon in the building.

Not worried about who the offensive coordinator is, Gruden will call the plays. VEry worried about defensive coordinator. Guenther had the 30th ranked rush defense.....SMH. 18th ranked defense overall last year. He did coach a handful of reckless mental midgets.
    "Don't worry about the horses being blind.......just load the wagon!"
    ~~John Madden

Joe Arrigo‏
    @joearrigo
    I can confirm the report that Rams QB coach Greg Olsen will be the #Raiders OC when Jon Gruden is hired as the... https://fb.me/DcWRniqZ

krsonekth

Not sure why youíd say that... Carrís always been a hard worker
    I think heíd be chopping at the bit to start working with them

Everyoneís worried about Carr, Iím more worried about the o-line, other than Hudson they looked pedestrian at best... especially gave Jackson who just signed huge extension

I fully expect Carr to have a monster year under gruden and hopefully gannon

Iíll bet heís having a lot of sleepless nights lately, imagining life with Gruden and Gannon.

-Stork

-Stork

Ya maybe so. But you look at most great QB's had great relations with their head coach. What has Carr been glued to..... exactly. Still with all the negatives around Carr, he is in the top 15 or so in his first 4 years. Ill take that moving forward with Gruden. Again, Gruden is not a cure all but nice to have an accountable coach that expects the same. for once.
    Dogdaddy

Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast