Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: What do u do with Zig?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sign him long-term

3 37.50%
  • Franchise him

4 50.00%
  • Let him walk

1 12.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ziggy

Ziggy

Lots of cap room & the DL needs to get much better. What do you do with Zig?

Marketability Rating = 0

Tough call. You take away his last 2 games and his game against the Giants early in the season and he has a sub par season, he was non-existent. I think he has the potential to be great but we gotta have him performing on a consistent basis. So, essentially I think they need to re-sign him but don't overpay for the guy.

it's tricky because we need DL help so bad and yet it feels like we want to get rid of him, inconsistent and injury prone, but productive as hell when right, I don't know what to do lol, I'm leaning toward signing him unless he wants Suh money

do not re-sign him

he was getting hurt like 5 times per game

THE START OF A NEW ERA #I.Q.W.T

Only resign him for a reasonable amount. He's never been healthy so I don't truly know how good he is. He shows flashes of awesomeness, but it only comes against bad teams. If he is even remotely unreasonable in contract negotiations, then let him walk. We can replace him with a FA that doesn't have a big name but does have the same performance.

Unless the Lions plan on swinging for the fences with a big name FA...With the amount of cap space we have, I say just tag him and let him prove his value next season..

👑

Offer a fair market deal with injuries and performance as a basis (see the Cameron Wake deal as an example) and if someone wants to go over it you let him go. You do not want to pay a premium for him. If you were to spend big on a free agent defensive end, you'd go after a guy like Demarcus Lawrence instead.

I always thought if we signed Staff long term er might franchise Ziggy. That was until he started to play this year. He sucked for most the year and games against bad lines is not going to change my mind. If they got him cheap at like 2/3 million a year for a few years I probably wouldn't be upset. But giving him a lot of money would 100% make me turn on BQ and the front office here. I still feel like the dude is really older then he and his agent are stating he is.
    2015 Detroit Lions Prediction Game WINNER

I wonder how much of his poor play is because of the calibre of line mates & linebackers he has around him? Although Suh was constantly double teamed and still delivered.

Marketability Rating = 0

Quote Originally Posted by whooligun View Post
    I wonder how much of his poor play is because of the calibre of line mates & linebackers he has around him? Although Suh was constantly double teamed and still delivered.
    I get what you are saying, but Ziggy was almost never doubled or was never chipped off the line. He would just lose his one on one battles most the time this year. Just seems like he only did ok when we went against the crappy lines out there.
    2015 Detroit Lions Prediction Game WINNER

To be honest, I think guys like Zettel/Hyder are ideally backups, but I don't think Ansah is a primary rusher either. I think we're in a scenario where we have back ups as starters on the DL, and secondary rushers as primary rushers

Though I voted for tag, I don't think we do it. It'll cost around 16m, and he'll sign it instantly and won't bother negotiating further. I think the real move is to try and get him on a solid 2 year deal and find his replacement in waiting over the next year or so. However, he should no longer be our starting RE. He should be our LE. His run stopping ability mixed with his so-so pass rushing is actually ideal for our LE role. It reminds me of our LEs in the past, but just much more athletic.

Unfortunate problem is that there is hardly any stud DEs available in FA. There's going to be AT LEAST one team that talks themselves into Ansah because he is "going into his prime" and "coming off a 12 sack season." However, we know as fans who've watched him closely that his best days are probably behind him, and his 12 sack seasons was kind of a facade because 12 sacks suggests season-wide quality play, but that wasn't the case.

If we don't tag him, I think he's gone, but the tag is just so expensive. We have the cap to do it, but I think Quinn is going to dump tons of $ into this FA considering he wants to make a competitive team for "his guy" (aka his coach).

Unfortunately the DL pool is kinda weak. Outside of Dontari Poe, Demarcus Lawrence, Sheldon Richardson, and Star Lotuleli (who hasn't really been that good outside of run stuff in recent years), there isn't a whole lot to chase after Dline wise. Really, considering our needs (RB/DL/3rd LB/CB) there isn't a whole lot for any of those spots. I'm assuming dudes like Lawrence and Bell will be franchise tag and/or re-signed, so the big fish are off the board. After that it's a bunch of reclamation projects or rotational dudes. Then again, Bob Quinn loves signing special teamers.

I think Quinn will have to work the trade market + cuts. There are a lot of dudes that'll be cut between now and then just as cap casualties. Gonna have to take advantage where possible. We've seen teams like the Cardinals/Rams in recent years stack up on stud players who weren't going to be re-signed to another deal. I think that's something we can take advantage of.
    Last edited by Zspooner; 01-03-2018 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    Offer a fair market deal with injuries and performance as a basis (see the Cameron Wake deal as an example) and if someone wants to go over it you let him go. You do not want to pay a premium for him. If you were to spend big on a free agent defensive end, you'd go after a guy like Demarcus Lawrence instead.
    This right here

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

AAL: MATTHEW STAFFORD
    COMP: 371 ATT: 565 YDS: 4,446 COMP %: 65.7 TD: 29 INT: 10 FUMBLES: 11 QBR: 61.8
    RUSH ATT: 29 YDS: 98 TD: 0
    COMEBACK WINS: 2

2016 PSD LIONS FORUM COMEBACK POSTER OF THE YEAR

Favorite Teams
    Detroit Red Wings 17-16-7 Points: 41
    Detroit Lions 9-7 #INBOBQUINNWETRUST! Bye Caldwell!
    Detroit Tigers
    North Carolina Tarheels Mens Basketball Overall: 12-3 ACC: 1-1
    Florida State Seminoles Overall: 7-6 ACC: 3-5 #timeforthetaggartera

Quote Originally Posted by whooligun View Post
    Tough to compare him to Suh. I haven't kept tabs on Suh too much since he left, but my guess is that he is stlll on track for a more than above average career.

Quote Originally Posted by lizardking13 View Post
    Tough to compare him to Suh. I haven't kept tabs on Suh too much since he left, but my guess is that he is stlll on track for a more than above average career.
    I don't care much for them, but I think PFF had Suh has 2nd team All-Pro DT for whatever that's worth. I'm certain he's still good based on some of the stuff I've seen over the Dolphins since he's gotten there. Interesting what they do with him over there -- they seem to move him around the line. Felt like he was always our 3-tech no matter who was on the field, but over there I've seen him line up at each end spot and various interior techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by Zspooner View Post
    To be honest, I think guys like Zettel/Hyder are ideally backups, but I don't think Ansah is a primary rusher either. I think we're in a scenario where we have back ups as starters on the DL, and secondary rushers as primary rushers

Though I voted for tag, I don't think we do it. It'll cost around 16m, and he'll sign it instantly and won't bother negotiating further. I think the real move is to try and get him on a solid 2 year deal and find his replacement in waiting over the next year or so. However, he should no longer be our starting RE. He should be our LE. His run stopping ability mixed with his so-so pass rushing is actually ideal for our LE role. It reminds me of our LEs in the past, but just much more athletic.

Unfortunate problem is that there is hardly any stud DEs available in FA. There's going to be AT LEAST one team that talks themselves into Ansah because he is "going into his prime" and "coming off a 12 sack season." However, we know as fans who've watched him closely that his best days are probably behind him, and his 12 sack seasons was kind of a facade because 12 sacks suggests season-wide quality play, but that wasn't the case.

If we don't tag him, I think he's gone, but the tag is just so expensive. We have the cap to do it, but I think Quinn is going to dump tons of $ into this FA considering he wants to make a competitive team for "his guy" (aka his coach).

Unfortunately the DL pool is kinda weak. Outside of Dontari Poe, Demarcus Lawrence, Sheldon Richardson, and Star Lotuleli (who hasn't really been that good outside of run stuff in recent years), there isn't a whole lot to chase after Dline wise. Really, considering our needs (RB/DL/3rd LB/CB) there isn't a whole lot for any of those spots. I'm assuming dudes like Lawrence and Bell will be franchise tag and/or re-signed, so the big fish are off the board. After that it's a bunch of reclamation projects or rotational dudes. Then again, Bob Quinn loves signing special teamers.

I think Quinn will have to work the trade market + cuts. There are a lot of dudes that'll be cut between now and then just as cap casualties. Gonna have to take advantage where possible. We've seen teams like the Cardinals/Rams in recent years stack up on stud players who weren't going to be re-signed to another deal. I think that's something we can take advantage of.
    Poe in free agency and Vita in the draft is my (currently anyway) optimal result for the DT's search. Both are large and move well for their size, which is crucial in collapsing the pocket.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast