Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Reviewing Preseason Lions W-L Predictions

Considering the outrage over Caldwell's 9-7 season, I was curious to see what the expectations (PSD wise) were for our season prior to it all playing out. Many in the national media were very down on us expecting a huge regression after all the comeback wins from the season before. You'll find a lot of 4-12/5-11/6-10 from media outlets, I remember reviewing a couple 7-9/8-8 predictions as well, but those felt a bit more rare. Local media was a bit more optimistic (Mlive/Freep/etc.), but I still found a lot of 7-9/8-8/9-7, AKA average/middling. Did see a 10-6 or 2 sprinkled in there, which was about as optimistic as it got.

So, I decided to see what we all thought, and surprisingly there was a lot of optimism, but also a lot of pessimism. I know some of them were satirical, but I've decided to gather up the predictions from the prediction thread.

In order of post:

Rocket: 11-5
    Primestein: 8-8
    RB20: 13-3
    GuySir: 6-10
    Kreton: 12-4
    ******: 10-6
    Whooligun: 7-9
    JWO35: 8-8
    One Nut: 7-9
    Slug3: 6-10
    LFFS: 9-7
    Myself: 8-8
    LizardKing: 12-4
    Ahoda: 6-10
    Det32: 4-12

15 entries:

3 at .500
    6 > .500
    6 < .500

So, we were collectively all over the place.

Obviously some of these are jokes, and these things changes as the league changes (Ex: Rodgers injury), but I was actually curious to see how we thought of this team going into the year. Obviously we've had varying reactions to the outcome, but how do you guys feel about your preseason predictions? Obviously most were wrong in the end, but how did they effect your overall reaction to the outcome and/or what changed during the season that might've effected both or maybe altered your thinking going forward?

Here's some of my preseason preview, which included my thoughts on their record + Caldwell/Quinn at the time:

Quote Originally Posted by Zspooner View Post
    Tbh, when I saw this schedule announced months ago, I had a hard time issuing a win in the first 8 games, but I do feel a bit better now. If our opposition plays to expectation (which rarely all do, but most will) the Lions will surely have one of the toughest schedules they've had in recent memory.

The whole unfortunate part to this is what this means for Caldwell. If he does 8-8 or worse, I think he's out for sure. If he misses the playoffs at 9-7, I think the possibility of him not getting extended remains. I know Caldwell gets a lot of ****, but I legitimately don't think he's as bad as most. I think he's a solid leader who just isn't quite the football savant we would hope for. He's largely dependent on his coordinators, and so far they've been good outside of Lombardi's run. However, at the time, I didn't mind the hire. I thought it was a good idea in theory, but it just didn't work out.

Really, I'm just satisfied with the stability that Caldwell has maintained. The entire FO that backed him got canned, a whole new FO came in, he's on a lame duck deal, and he's still marching forward. Obviously, he's SUPPOSED to do that, but obviously not every coach could handle that, at least not in this manner. I remember when the Seattle batted ball **** happened in 2015, and there were rumors that the players weren't feeling Caldwell anymore because they thought he didn't do enough to argue the call with the league. The team could've crumbled on him right then there. Surely they would've on Schwartz. I've seen that happen before. They started that season 0-4, then after that Seattle loss, they got DESTROYED at home by Arizona. Caldwell's tenure probably could've ended right there considering what Queen Martha did a month or so later. They then get a hard fought OT win vs Chicago, then lose vs Minnesota and get ANNIHILATED by the Chiefs to be 1-7 going into the bye. That's when the FO got fired. Caldwell easily could've gone along with em, but didn't. The Lions players could've quit on Caldwell and assured his firing down the line, but didn't. They finish the year 7-9, and so far that's easily the worst season of the Caldwell era. Then after that year, they continued their momentum and reached the playoffs again. Yet, here we are. Caldwell might walk, and a couple stud players might walk as well. I'm really skeptical of HC change at this point unless this year completely tanks. If they go 4-12 or something, I'd probably be alright with it, but considering this schedule, this roster, and how injured we are are some vital spots, an 8-8/9-7 season wouldn't be bad to me. I still think this roster needs a lot of work, yet however, for the first time in my rather short life, I do have faith in both, the HC and GM of the Lions.
    Last edited by Zspooner; 01-03-2018 at 11:52 PM.

but I legitimately don't think he's as bad as most. I think he's a solid leader

personally i thought our run game was finally going to not be terrible this year and we would finish 11-5 despite Caldwell being the coach

thank god that didn't happen lol, we would've probably extended him

shocker, Krenton said 12 wins. Also shocker, Krenton disappeared off the forums as well. This wasn't a safe enough space for him.

I remember 6 wins was still a reach for me, lol.
    2015 Detroit Lions Prediction Game WINNER

Surprised 5 people predicted double digit wins.

Quote Originally Posted by ahoda View Post
    shocker, Krenton said 12 wins. Also shocker, Krenton disappeared off the forums as well. This wasn't a safe enough space for him.
    Lol no doubt. Got pretty pissy because of everybody else’s negative (aka realistic) attitude towards the Lions too.

Quote Originally Posted by One Nut Kruk View Post
    Lol no doubt. Got pretty pissy because of everybody else’s negative (aka realistic) attitude towards the Lions too.

No dude. Lions made post season. They are good.

lol. worst argument I have ever read.

Quote Originally Posted by whooligun View Post
    Surprised 5 people predicted double digit wins.
    They were close!

Week 1: Sunday, September 10 ARIZONA CARDINALS FOX 1:00 p.m W - Correct

Week 2: Monday, September 18 at New York Giants ESPN 8:30 p.m L I personally think the giants are overrated, but eh. it is a road game, and we're bad on the road Wrong

Week 3: Sunday, September 24 ATLANTA FALCONS FOX 1:00 p.m W home game, i think we pull it out. Wrong

Week 4: Sunday, October 1 at Minnesota Vikings FOX 1:00 p.m L similar reasoning to the giants game Wrong

Week 5: Sunday, October 8 CAROLINA PANTHERS FOX 1:00 p.m W Wrong

Week 6: Sunday, October 15 at New Orleans Saints FOX 1:00 p.m W I'd say we'd lose but the saints aren't going to be good Wrong

Week 7: Sunday, October 22 *** BYE WEEK ***

Week 8: Sunday, October 29 PITTSBURGH STEELERS NBC 8:30 p.m W can't lose post bye Wrong

Week 9: Monday, November 6 at Green Bay Packers ESPN 8:30 p.m L Wrong

Week 10: Sunday, November 12 CLEVELAND BROWNS CBS 1:00 p.m W This one is easy, honestly though wouldn't be surprised if we blew it. Correct

Week 11: Sunday, November 19 at Chicago Bears FOX 1:00 p.m W Correct

Week 12: Thursday, November 23 MINNESOTA VIKINGS FOX 12:30 p.m W Wrong

Week 13: Sunday, December 3 at Baltimore Ravens FOX 1:00 p.m L this is one that we shouldn't lose, but will Correct

Week 14: Sunday, December 10 at Tampa Bay Buccaneers FOX 1:00 p.m W Correct

Week 15: Saturday, December 16 CHICAGO BEARS NFLN# 4:30 p.m W Correct

Week 16: Sunday, December 24 at Cincinnati Bengals FOX 1:00 p.m W Wrong

Week 17: Sunday, December 31 GREEN BAY PACKERS FOX 1:00 p.m W Correct

Okay, so I personally went 7-9. Almost as good as the lions!

Quote Originally Posted by ahoda View Post
    Week 1: Sunday, September 10 ARIZONA CARDINALS FOX 1:00 p.m - L

Week 2: Monday, September 18 at New York Giants ESPN 8:30 p.m - L

Week 3: Sunday, September 24 ATLANTA FALCONS FOX 1:00 p.m - L

Week 4: Sunday, October 1 at Minnesota Vikings FOX 1:00 p.m - W

Week 5: Sunday, October 8 CAROLINA PANTHERS FOX 1:00 p.m - L

Week 6: Sunday, October 15 at New Orleans Saints FOX 1:00 p.m - W

Week 7: Sunday, October 22 *** BYE WEEK ***

Week 8: Sunday, October 29 PITTSBURGH STEELERS NBC 8:30 p.m - L

Week 9: Monday, November 6 at Green Bay Packers ESPN 8:30 p.m - L

Week 10: Sunday, November 12 CLEVELAND BROWNS CBS 1:00 p.m - W

Week 11: Sunday, November 19 at Chicago Bears FOX 1:00 p.m - W

Week 12: Thursday, November 23 MINNESOTA VIKINGS FOX 12:30 p.m - W

Week 13: Sunday, December 3 at Baltimore Ravens FOX 1:00 p.m - L

Week 14: Sunday, December 10 at Tampa Bay Buccaneers FOX 1:00 p.m - L

Week 15: Saturday, December 16 CHICAGO BEARS NFLN# 4:30 p.m - W

Week 16: Sunday, December 24 at Cincinnati Bengals FOX 1:00 p.m - L

Week 17: Sunday, December 31 GREEN BAY PACKERS FOX 1:00 p.m - L

Final Record: 6-10

Caldwell is not resigned and an entire new coaching staff is brought in.

Like the Lions, I predicted 9-7 with the actual results.

little surprised LFFS was the only one to get it right, that's how you get blue

I had both numbers right.

Quote Originally Posted by whooligun View Post
    I had both numbers right.
    But did you pick each game right?! That would be pretty aweseome. I'd tail every lions bet you make.