Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Red Sox manager Alex Cora didn’t confirm oft-injured reliever Carson Smith is out for the season during his weekly interview with Dale & Keefe Wednesday. But the skipper strongly hinted Smith, who was starting to pitch more regularly, will be out for a long time with his shoulder subluxation.

“He was turning the corner. There was an at-bat in New York against (Aaron) Hicks. He threw two or three changeups, where from the first base dugout it looked like they were sliders,” Cora said. “I was like, ‘He’s getting there.’ But too bad. We’ve got to move on. Let’s be honest, he’s not going to help us right now, and we’ve got to find other guys who can step up in the bullpen.”

With Smith out of the mix for now, Cora says he’ll continue to rely on a mix of arms in the eighth inning, including Matt Barnes and Joe Kelly. While the bullpen has received lots of attention in recent weeks, the starting pitchers have been problematic, posting an ERA close to 5.00 over the last 18 games. David Price, who revealed last week he’s suffering from mild carpal tunnel syndrome, is culpable for a portion of the rotation’s struggles.
    weei.com

The Red Sox returned right-handed Hector Velazquez from his rehab assignment and activated him from the disabled list, where he had been placed for a lower back issue. Left-hander Bobby Poyner was optioned to Pawtucket (Triple A).

Velazquez made one rehabilitation appearance for Pawtucket on Monday, throwing a scoreless seventh inning.

This was Poyner's third stint with the Red Sox. In nine relief appearances, he has allowed two runs on 12 hits over 9.2 innings, striking out nine batters and walking one.
    Boston Herald

Cutting ties with Hanley now rather than at the end of the season surprises me a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbangclock View Post
    Cutting ties with Hanley now rather than at the end of the season surprises me a bit.
    I thought they liked him? I had no idea he was even on the trade block?

On Friday morning the Red Sox informed Hanley Ramirez that they will designate him for assignment in order to open a spot on the roster for Dustin Pedroia, who will return from the disabled list on Friday.

The Boston Globe's Alex Speier was first to report this news. The team now has seven days to trade or release him.

The surprising move likely is related to his $15-plus million salary remaining this year and then next year's vesting option worth $22 million. Ramirez was on pace to reach the number of at bats needed for his contract for next year to kick in.

Ramirez is in the midst of an 0-for-20 slump, but was off to a decent start to the year. The 34-year-old was hitting .254 with six homers and 29 RBIs in 44 games. Mitch Moreland will likely become the full-time first baseman with potentially Blake Swihart getting some starts as well.

It seemed trading Swihart or sending Jackie Bradley Jr. or Brock Holt down to the minors were the more logical moves to get Pedroia on the roster, but as we've seen before Dave Dombrowski is not afraid of taking a risk, which this seems to be.
    weei.com

I guess that it depends on what you mean by "the end of the season." Once he hits 497 PA on his current deal, his 2019 option becomes guaranteed. Even if they DFA him, they'd still owe him that money.

Quote Originally Posted by BSF101 View Post
    I thought they liked him? I had no idea he was even on the trade block?
    It's hard to know for sure. My gut reaction to Cora's ST comments was that he was trying to instill confidence in HanRam in order to get the most out of him. Giving him the three-hole over one of the best bats in MLB also seemed like a way to get him pitches that he could execute on in order to get on a roll.

Things could also have changed. He's barely on a 20HR pace, hasn't hit a HR in two weeks, and has as many strikeouts as hits during May. He actually has more GIDP than XBH in May... he's doing more harm than good in a lineup that needs a boost (IMO). He's actually behind his 2017 pace (.261/.349/.425, 4-2B, 6HR through 45G on 5/24/2017) and that was arguably the worst offensive season full-time season in his career.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxtober View Post
    I guess that it depends on what you mean by "the end of the season." Once he hits 497 PA on his current deal, his 2019 option becomes guaranteed. Even if they DFA him, they'd still owe him that money.

It's hard to know for sure. My gut reaction to Cora's ST comments was that he was trying to instill confidence in HanRam in order to get the most out of him. Giving him the three-hole over one of the best bats in MLB also seemed like a way to get him pitches that he could execute on in order to get on a roll.

Things could also have changed. He's barely on a 20HR pace, hasn't hit a HR in two weeks, and has as many strikeouts as hits during May. He actually has more GIDP than XBH in May... he's doing more harm than good in a lineup that needs a boost (IMO). He's actually behind his 2017 pace (.261/.349/.425, 4-2B, 6HR through 45G on 5/24/2017) and that was arguably the worst offensive season full-time season in his career.
    I'll be honest haven't been watching too much baseball cause of the Celtics. I just think they should hold on to him till the end of the yr then release him. I believe the team would owe him $15 mill? For a team that has one of if not the hightest payroll they sure come up cheap sometimes. But everyone goes through a slump. I'd be pissed if he ends up with the Yankees.

I'll be honest haven't been watching too much baseball cause of the Celtics. I just think they should hold on to him till the end of the yr then release him. I believe the team would owe him $15 mill? For a team that has one of if not the hightest payroll they sure come up cheap sometimes. But everyone goes through a slump. I'd be pissed if he ends up with the Yankees.
    Where exactly would he play on the Yankees? Just curious.

I think the Os and particularly the Rockies seem like a spot for Ramirez and not the Yankees...but I do hear ya on not wanting to see players end up with the Yanks and having good seasons.

If you mean the end of the entire season then you're wrong. With 320 more plate appearances, his 2019 salary becomes GUARANTEED. They'd owe him $15M for 2018 AND $22M for 2019 just for the hope of getting him back on track. Unfortunately, April stands out as the anomaly in Hanley's recent production -- he's been bad since the beginning of 2017.

Cora's logic is pretty sound. Moreland has been white hot -- I think the second or third best 1B offensively in the month of May prior to the decision, more HR than HanRam in fewer PA, etc. Almost to emphasize that he's the right guy to play 1B, he HRs in the first game after the move and follows up with back-to-back games with a triple. Cora knew that he would hurt the team by keeping Moreland on the bench AND knew that HanRam would be a poor bench player (he's got a poor track record when things don't run his way).

I don't see how avoiding investing 10% of your salary into a player who is not performing could ever be considered cheap. His WAR suggests that he's worth around 1/10th of his pay.

I kinda don't get all the people who have been defending HanRam (not here, but generally). In three of his four seasons he's barely been a replacement level hitter, a league worst defender in LF, and somewhat adequate 1B... but they cling to his 2016 campaign where he was clearly motivated to send Ortiz out on a high note as if he's still got that in the tank. I'd hoped that shoulder surgery would help but it didn't.

As for who picks him up... we will have to wait a few weeks. No team in MLB will touch him until he clears waivers and gets outrighted off the roster June 3/4. They don't want his salary any more than the Red Sox do.

Red Sox signed 1B Adam Lind to a minor league contract.
    Evan Drellich of NBC Sports Boston was first to pass along word of the agreement, and now Red Sox president Dave Dombrowski has confirmed that a deal is in place. Lind opted out of his minor league contract with the Yankees last week after slashing .302/.362/.477 with three home runs and 14 RBI in 24 games between High-A Tampa and Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. He hits left-handed and so does Mitch Moreland, so there might not be much playing time available to Lind in Boston -- if he ever gets there. For now, the 34-year-old first baseman will report to Triple-A Pawtucket.
    Source: Evan Drellich

The Red Sox on Tuesday placed left-hander Drew Pomeranz on the 10-day disabled list with biceps tendinitis, interrupting a disappointing season for the returning 17-game winner.

Pomeranz was placed on the DL retroactive to June 2. He'll be replaced on the roster by reliever Brandon Workman, and he'll likely be replaced in the rotation by knuckleballer Steven Wright, who starts on Tuesday.

"Coming out of the Houston start, it was kind of hard for him to bounce back, so we decided to put him on the DL," said Red Sox manager Alex Cora.

Pomeranz is just 1-3 with a 6.81 ERA in eight starts. He allowed four runs in five innings in his last start against the Astros and has produced only two quality starts on the season.

"It happened after this one, this last one," Cora said. "Hopefully it's something that he'll come back right away."

The Red Sox had already planned to push the entire rotation back a day by starting Wright on Tuesday, and Cora doesn't want to disrupt that plan, so a spot starter will be summoned on Thursday. The other option would have been to move everyone to their original days.
    weei.com

After sitting out of Wednesday's game, Rafael Devers needs more time.

The third baseman was placed on the 10-day disabled list on Thursday with left shoulder inflammation. Tzu-Wei Lin was recalled as the corresponding move.

Manager Alex Cora seemed to indicate Wednesday it was more than just a day off for Devers and he was a little banged up.

"He’s a little banged up as you guys know from sliding and diving and all that," he said. "Stay away from him today. I know he had a great game against Bartolo [Colon] in Arlington with the two homers but his health is more important so we’ll stay away from him and see how he feels tomorrow.”

In 31 games since June 6, Devers is batting .275 with a .790 OPS. For the year, he's hitting .241 with 14 homers and 48 RBIs.
    weei.com

Boston Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia has doubts about whether he'll be able to return this season as he continues to recover from major reconstructive knee surgery in the offseason.

Pedroia, 34, returned to the lineup on May 26 but was back on the disabled list on June 2 with soreness in his knee. He is headed to Arizona to continue his rehabilitation treatment.

"I've healed quick with every other injury I've had. But this is obviously different," Pedroia told reporters Wednesday. "You can't risk it. If I come back too early and the graft fails, then that's it."

Earlier this week, Red Sox manager Alex Cora said he still expects the four-time All-Star to play again this season, but Pedroia said he'll know more "in 4 to 5 weeks" before making that determination.

"I'd love to play right now, but I can't," Pedroia said. "I'm going to be back for good if I let it heal. That's it. I've got to let it heal. ... I can't do anything about time."
    espn.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123