Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 278
  1. #46
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    29,679
    And i think people are afraid of change. We didn't draft Jones in the 2nd round just to continue to be a 2nd string guy. The packers have always shown they aren't afraid to move on from a player before he starts the decline.

    And i'd love to keep Burnett as a vet but that depends on if the price is right. And Josh Jones should see the field more this year for sure.

    And aren't you the one living in the now by wanting to keep a player who is starting to get passed his prime? Jones has the chance to be the future if he can put it all together that is. Packers drafted him for a reason and maybe that reason was cause they are prepared to move on from Burnett if need be.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    542
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Stuckey View Post
    Don't get cought up in stats. That Is like saying Daniel's is bad because he doesn't get a lot of sacks. Dude is a leader and proven. Everything doesn't show up on paper. Newer isn't always better. People amaze me, wanting us to go hog wild in FA. Imo to many fans live in the now and dont see the bigger picture.
    The "Big Picture" is we aren't a good defense. I don't generally get caught up in stats, but I don't think i need to pull out the stats of the last 10 seasons, especially playoffs to make you sound like Donald Trump right now.

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    542
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCheese12 View Post
    And i think people are afraid of change. We didn't draft Jones in the 2nd round just to continue to be a 2nd string guy. The packers have always shown they aren't afraid to move on from a player before he starts the decline.

    And i'd love to keep Burnett as a vet but that depends on if the price is right. And Josh Jones should see the field more this year for sure.

    And aren't you the one living in the now by wanting to keep a player who is starting to get passed his prime? Jones has the chance to be the future if he can put it all together that is. Packers drafted him for a reason and maybe that reason was cause they are prepared to move on from Burnett if need be.
    I don't think Jones is the answer by any means. But...we have to live with that right now. Too many things need to be fixed at this moment and Burnett is not a fix from what I have read repeatedly about, I honestly don't know. But if true I guess we move on from him and Josh Jones honestly just needs to be the guy for now. Too many needs, too little time to adjust.

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,964
    To me itís all about what pettine wants to do and how he views certain players. If pettine wants both of his safeties to be good over the top guys, then jones isnít the answer. But if one of the safeties spends a lot of time in the box, then jones could be the answer.

    But in todayís nfl, thereís plenty of room for packages with both Burnett and jones if we do bring Burnett back. Both can function as a dime style linebacker and Burnett can cover the slot at times. So itís not like it has to be one or the other. Iím sure pettine will find time for both.

    The one final thing with Burnett is that heís been the defensive play caller. With Martinez looking more and more like a 3 down linebacker, they can probably get away with transitioning that role to him. But it has been Burnett in the past. And while our defense looked discombobulated quite often, itís usually noticeably worse when Burnett wasnít playing.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Posts
    1,461
    This is what I'm saying. Our defense is not in the position to let him walk. And it's unwise just to make change for the sake of making change. Our defense wasn't good but Burnett is not the problem. We are better with him on the field, period. Sign him to 4 years imo. Arnt we tired of seeing players like Lang walk because they are getting old. Burnett is a locker room leader. There is a lot of value in that.

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Posts
    1,461
    Quote Originally Posted by hallzi43 View Post
    The "Big Picture" is we aren't a good defense. I don't generally get caught up in stats, but I don't think i need to pull out the stats of the last 10 seasons, especially playoffs to make you sound like Donald Trump right now.
    Don't be a snowflake.

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NW Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,403
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Stuckey View Post
    This is what I'm saying. Our defense is not in the position to let him walk. And it's unwise just to make change for the sake of making change. Our defense wasn't good but Burnett is not the problem. We are better with him on the field, period. Sign him to 4 years imo. Arnt we tired of seeing players like Lang walk because they are getting old. Burnett is a locker room leader. There is a lot of value in that.
    We already resigned the players we wanted to keep the most in Adams and Linsley, so we aren't repeating the free agency debacle of last season. That being said, it should be Petines decision on if he wants the big money spent on Burnett of if he'd rather invest it on someone else and let Jones take over. Jones is being undervalued here because he didn't play well, but thats primarily due to him being moved all over the field to various positions. If they'd have put him at 1 position and let him learn that position and play, there would have been different results. You can't expect a rookie to come in and play multiple positions and be effective.

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NW Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,403
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    I must have missed Brateís name on the free agent list. Heís a guy Iíd be interested in.

    I donít see clay taking that restructure deal to be honest. I think heíd play chicken with us and either play out one more year or risk being cut. Heíd easily get 2/12 on the open market.

    Ferrell decided to go back to Clemson, so that is out.
    Then forget the restructure and cut Clay. He was healthier this season than he's been in a while, so you can count on him missing half the season next year anyway. Yes, he played decent this year too, but look at the last 3 years and average them and then realize he's getting older too. It's time to let him go.

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NW Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,403
    My personal opinion is that all 3 of Clay, Jordy and Cobb should be cut or take major pay cuts. They all are scheduled to make over $10 Mil next season and the 3 combined are barely worth more than $10 Mil. I'd like to keep at least 1 of the recievers at a reduced price, but we need to get at least $15 Mil back from those 3 players.
    I'd prefer to keep Cobb over Jordy, but only if we can cut his salary in half or so.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NW Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,403
    Free Agency - After we cut Clay loose, we use that money to sign 2 players. 1) CB Kyle Fuller for about 3 years $18 Mil and OLB Conner Barwin for 2 years $10.5 Mil. Barwin is a slight downgrade from Clay, but he is depth since Pick #14 will be replacing Clay in the starting lineup.

    WR - I'd be willing to keep 1 of Nelson or Cobb at a contact of about half of what they are scheduled to make this season if a deal can be worked out. Otherwise we should cut both players and here is why.

    We could use the money saved by releasing Cobb and Nelson and replace them with John Brown and Jarvis Landry which would be a huge upgrade. Landry 4 years $60 Mil and John Brown 3 years $15 Mil. I'm not saying we should do this because it would commit too much money to WR's, but the point is the money Nelson and Cobb are due this season would be more than enough to make our WR core the best in football.

    I think John Brown would be a great target in FA and would provide the deep threat that we were missing this season. If Cobb won't take a significant pay cut, perhaps adding Paul Richardson would be a good replacement on a cheaper deal. We could cut Nelson and Cobb and replace with Brown and Richardson and save at least $8 Mil in cap space. I also like Andrew Norwell or Justin Pugh as Guards and would be interested in TE Trey Burton.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Schofield, WI
    Posts
    2,027
    I agree with some of what you're saying Hacksaw but no way is Fuller only getting 3-18. I'd overpay for a corner but I think Fuller will get over 8 mill. Barwin would be OK as long as you know you're either signing another and drafting at least 1 OLB. John Brown could be a buy-low guy as he was hurt most of last year.

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,964
    Landryís complaining to the media about the Dolphins not respecting him in the contract negotiation process. Guys a primadona. I donít know why anyone wants him. And his agent specifically called out the deals for Doug Baldwin and ty Hilton as deals signed years ago so they arenít good comps. Hilton signed for 5/$65 so it would seem Landry wants more than that. As a player, heís not worth it. But add in the fact heís kind of a knucklehead, and Iím definitely staying away. We donít need to sign a big time receiver, but if we are heíll bent on doing so, give me Watkins or Robinson over Landry any day.

    But in reality, itís probably going to cost $14 mill per year at least. For that cash, give me the top cb on the market. Or, if we need to spend it on offense, use the $14 mill to sign Burton and Paul Richardson or something like that.

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    iowa
    Posts
    6,973
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Landryís complaining to the media about the Dolphins not respecting him in the contract negotiation process. Guys a primadona. I donít know why anyone wants him. And his agent specifically called out the deals for Doug Baldwin and ty Hilton as deals signed years ago so they arenít good comps. Hilton signed for 5/$65 so it would seem Landry wants more than that. As a player, heís not worth it. But add in the fact heís kind of a knucklehead, and Iím definitely staying away. We donít need to sign a big time receiver, but if we are heíll bent on doing so, give me Watkins or Robinson over Landry any day.

    But in reality, itís probably going to cost $14 mill per year at least. For that cash, give me the top cb on the market. Or, if we need to spend it on offense, use the $14 mill to sign Burton and Paul Richardson or something like that.
    isn't it crazy that people are upset that after signing Davante Adams to a deal, the packers have "too much money invested in the WR position" so they want to cut or restructure Jordy and Cobb but, yet want to throw big money contracts out to FA WRs

    RIP Gene Wilder

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Posts
    1,461
    Quote Originally Posted by PackerBum9786 View Post
    isn't it crazy that people are upset that after signing Davante Adams to a deal, the packers have "too much money invested in the WR position" so they want to cut or restructure Jordy and Cobb but, yet want to throw big money contracts out to FA WRs
    This is what I'm saying.

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,662
    From my earlier post, Cameron Brate is a restricted free agent and I guess I missed Clelin Ferrell going back to school, whoops.

    I would absolutely hate Landry, he is the anti packer, all show and about himself. The only bigger money WR free agent I could rationalize would be Allen Robinson if healthy and even that would be a stretch. Rodgers will be fine if you get a second tier WR, reliable tight end, and/or a decent rookie to come in and infuse some speed into the receiving unit.

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •