Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 48
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Chuck Town
    Posts
    1,059
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    I donít think Rodgers would use Pryor enough to justify signing him. If itís a one year, super cheap deal maybe. But Rodgers likes guys he can trust and Pryor doesnít seem to have the precision and attention to detail that Rodgers requires. Heíd probably take a few shots a game to him, but Pryor is more of an athletic wonder than a good all around wr. I think heíd be primarily a deep ball specialist, and he might be somewhat expensive for that role.
    100% agree. Pryor would be a horrible fit. The guy plays WR like you would in a pickup flag football game.

    I'm liking landry more and more as I think about it. I believe he is hungry to be in the conversation of an elite WR as well as having a winning record. He knows Rodgers could provide that opportunity for him. Having Adams, Landry, Jordy, Cobb and a free agent TE such as Jimmy or Eifert would be downright lethal. I don't believe it would happen because Jordy and/or Cobb would have to take a paycut but it's fun to think about.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,792
    Landry is such an empty stat guy in my books. Iíve never gotten the obsession with him. So many people say itís the offense and opportunity and stuff like that, but at the end of the day the guy basically only catches short routes.

    Look at the stats for the top 50 receivers this year in terms of catches. Hereís some of the other stats. Landry lead the nfl in catches. He had the lowest yard per catch at 8.8. Only two other WRs were under 10 (ironically it was Jordy and Cobb). Only 4 guys had fewer 20+ yard plays. And the first guy to have fewer had 1 less 20+ yard play in over 50 less catches. And only 3 of the top 50 pass catching wr had a lower percentage of catches that resulted in first down.

    And this year isnít much of an anomaly. As pointed out, under 10 yards per catch is pretty poor output for a wr. His career ypc is 10.1. Again, only two guys had a lower ypc this season of the top 50 pass catching WRs than his career average. His best season for ypc is 12.5, which is a pretty average season for a wr.

    Basically, none of those stats alone are a death wish. But when you start to conpile everything together, it really appears Landry catches a ton of dumpoffs and empty catches. And before we put the blame on bad qbs, we have to acknowledge that the top 50 pass catching WRs accounts for almost every team. Thereís a lot of guys who deal with mediocre to poor qb play that still put up better underlying stats.

    But catches are a sexy stat and Landryís agent is going to pitch that hard. Some wr desperate team will sign him to a big deal. I just hope it isnít us. And that doesnít even include the arguement that heís fairly immature and got called out by his coach for getting into a week 17 fight this year too.
    Last edited by crewfan13; 01-12-2018 at 02:09 PM.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    6,862
    I don't think you can really justify adding a WR at this point when the defense needs fixed. Even if you cut either Jordy or Randall Cobb you still have Adams, Cobb/Nelson, Montgomery (I largely assume he's going to play more at wide out). For financial reasons you almost need to move Montgomery to WR again seeing how Williams/Jones performed last season both appeared more than capable of performing on this level. I mean Sammy Watkins would be nice, but if it means neglecting other area's such as the defense then I'm not buying this concept. There are plenty of nice options out there though Landry, Robinson, Watkins, Decker, and maybe even a Moncrief flier. However, my big three would be...

    1. Add a TE: We currently have only Lance Kendricks locked in. They need to get a vet in here to hold things down and draft a project. Jimmy Graham would be ideal, but he could be too pricey and while they will have cap space you need to keep in mind some of the impending extensions which may be needed. Obviously some restructures may be in order, but Jimmy Graham pretty much limits some other moves. Austin Seferian-Jenkins may be worth a flier, he finally had a solid season last year. Tyler Eifert if your willing to look past his injury history is worth a flier. The guy I really would have my eye on is Trey Burton, he's a guy if given full time play could break out.

    2. Veteran CB: I don't care if they go big like a Trumain Johnson, but same reasons you don't sign Graham you don't sign Johnson. There are some solid veteran CB's on the market. I would really like to take a flier on Prince Amukamara or Vontae Davis. Add one of the more serviceable guys, and maybe even add two like Tramon Williams. Williams has lost a step and won't be the same guy, but his leadership could be used here. Draft one more guy. I am pretty comfortably with a CB group of King, Amukamara, Randall, Williams, Rollins, Draft Pick.

    3. Veteran Edge Rusher: I really would like to see this addressed in the draft, but it doesn't hurt to add depth as both Perry and Matthews have missed time. I know they need to draft, but hoping the draft pick and Biegel will fill in is a bit foolish. Maybe look at guys like Dee Ford or Kony Ealy.

    Despite all of the chaos I don't think they are going to be big spenders in the free agent market, but I do expect them to be throughtful and meticulous in the market.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    236
    I doubt Landry is even in the conversation. Like you said, he is going to command a sizable contract this offseason and some desperate team is going to give him that. I expect Gutenkunst to be busy in FA, but I don't expect him to break the bank on a guy who honestly doesn't fit our culture in the first place. Guys like Landry and Pryor will go to teams in huge need for stud WR's. I don't think we exactly need studs, but we do need to get faster and more explosive.

    And if Cobb and Nelson are still on the team, definitely don't expect us to go press heavy on a WR of any sort.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    6,862
    Quote Originally Posted by hallzi43 View Post
    I doubt Landry is even in the conversation. Like you said, he is going to command a sizable contract this offseason and some desperate team is going to give him that. I expect Gutenkunst to be busy in FA, but I don't expect him to break the bank on a guy who honestly doesn't fit our culture in the first place. Guys like Landry and Pryor will go to teams in huge need for stud WR's. I don't think we exactly need studs, but we do need to get faster and more explosive.

    And if Cobb and Nelson are still on the team, definitely don't expect us to go press heavy on a WR of any sort.
    I don't see Landry either and frankly I don't see them even looking at the free agent market for a WR they have had ample success drafting and developing. You don't need a guy to come in at WR and be a superstar, but be serviceable and progress. We still have solid WR's and it's not a gaping hole here. The biggest move they can do in my view is move Montgomery back towards a WR role with some occasional looks at RB.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    236
    I really don't see Montgomery moving back to full time WR. I haven't even really seen that brought up besides here. I think you can do a lot of things with him much like a Jerrick McKinnon, Darren Sproles, Rex Burkhead, Danny Woodhead, Christian McCaffery type. Hybrid players that you can send out in the flat from out of the backfield. If he stays healthy next season I think he can be utilized very well as a pass catcher out of the backfield.

    But you still have Trevor Davis and undrafted rookie Michael Clark to fit roles in at WR. I have a feeling Allison lost favor after that Carolina game.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,646
    Quote Originally Posted by hallzi43 View Post
    I really don't see Montgomery moving back to full time WR. I haven't even really seen that brought up besides here. I think you can do a lot of things with him much like a Jerrick McKinnon, Darren Sproles, Rex Burkhead, Danny Woodhead, Christian McCaffery type. Hybrid players that you can send out in the flat from out of the backfield. If he stays healthy next season I think he can be utilized very well as a pass catcher out of the backfield.

    But you still have Trevor Davis and undrafted rookie Michael Clark to fit roles in at WR. I have a feeling Allison lost favor after that Carolina game.
    Davis should be off this team after the showing he put forth this season.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Davis should be off this team after the showing he put forth this season.
    I don't feel as though we utilized his speed whatsoever this season. There was a lot of talk in the preseason about all the things we could do with both Montgomery and Davis to utilize their speed but once the season started that just imploded.

    Then again I felt very similar about Jeff Janis. So maybe they do just suck.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    6,862
    Quote Originally Posted by hallzi43 View Post
    I don't feel as though we utilized his speed whatsoever this season. There was a lot of talk in the preseason about all the things we could do with both Montgomery and Davis to utilize their speed but once the season started that just imploded.

    Then again I felt very similar about Jeff Janis. So maybe they do just suck.
    Right now he's looking somewhat like the second coming of David Clowney, but Clowney was actually faster. It wasn't a matter of them not knowing how to utilize his speed as much as I think he doesn't know how to improve the other aspects of his game to enable his speed to be a weapon. If Davis stays on the roster it's as a returner he doesn't bring much value as a receiver. I'm not one to say he is a lost cause because he still has the potential to change that trajectory, but at the same time we can't rely on him either. Donald Driver in his first three seasons only had 37 receptions and 3 TD's. Not saying Davis will come close to Driver, but players especially those taken in the lower rounds require patience to develop. I'm not ready to cut ties with him, but we can't pencil him in for serious production at the same time.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    6,862
    Quote Originally Posted by hallzi43 View Post
    I really don't see Montgomery moving back to full time WR. I haven't even really seen that brought up besides here. I think you can do a lot of things with him much like a Jerrick McKinnon, Darren Sproles, Rex Burkhead, Danny Woodhead, Christian McCaffery type. Hybrid players that you can send out in the flat from out of the backfield. If he stays healthy next season I think he can be utilized very well as a pass catcher out of the backfield.

    But you still have Trevor Davis and undrafted rookie Michael Clark to fit roles in at WR. I have a feeling Allison lost favor after that Carolina game.
    I think you're misunderstanding what I am saying here. I still think they use him as a hybrid, but they need him to get more reps at WR than they need him at RB, and if they are going to fix the defense then this is going to be something they need to look at. Also, this only because an option if they move on from Cobb or Nelson, this is not a plan A thing, but if they cut loose either Cobb or Nelson then the move is needed, otherwise keep him a RB it's that simple. Assuming they can make Cobb and Nelson work they are fine a WR, you go out draft another guy to fit into the mix.

    On a side note, it's been the Packers M.O. to have a promsing developmental guy plus a big 2.

    Possibly Cobb/Adams-???
    Nelson/Cobb-Adams
    Nelson/Jones/Jennings-Cobb
    Jennings/Driver-Nelson
    Attempted: Driver/Ferguson-Jennings/Walker
    Schroeder/Freeman-Driver
    Freeman/Brooks-Schroeder
    Sharp/Brooks-Freeman (kinda)

    I'm stretching this a little here, but the point is the Packers dating back to Ron Wolf have draft WR well so I don't necessarily see a reason to go out an waste money on a free agent when you likely will be able to draft one in the 3rd or so round.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    624
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    To me, we just signed Adams to WR1 money. So I would probably steer clear of that top tier wr like Watkins, landry or Robinson. Probsbly all are going to get similar paydays to Adams. I would consider a guy in that next tier, like Jordan Matthews or marquis lee if the price is right. And I have no clue what heís going to get, but a true burner like John Brown would be intriguing on a cheapish deal.
    i am with you on John Brown. You also said Mike Wallace in the past and I would like that too. Would love to see them add a speedy guy that can stretch the field, but not have to drop bank on him. I think we can get what we need from either of them.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    29,649
    Quote Originally Posted by n8ghee View Post
    Iím not even thinking about defensive additions yet, because I still think we have a lot of unknown talent on our current roster.

    I wouldnít be upset if we made a value signing or three, though.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't think we need an overhaul and i do like some of the pieces we have but defense is the weakest part of this team right now imo. Maybe Pettine can help some of these guys take the next step but i still feel like we need a top tier CB. We also need another pass rusher as well. I am not a huge fan of our MLBers either. Those are the three areas i feel like we need to focus on in FA and the draft. On offense i feel like we need to make changes to our WR core including the TE's. I just feel like with Rodgers our offense will always put points on the board no matter what. To me its just about if our defense can actually be respectable enough to win games when we need them to.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,792
    Quote Originally Posted by IRNMN View Post
    I think you're misunderstanding what I am saying here. I still think they use him as a hybrid, but they need him to get more reps at WR than they need him at RB, and if they are going to fix the defense then this is going to be something they need to look at. Also, this only because an option if they move on from Cobb or Nelson, this is not a plan A thing, but if they cut loose either Cobb or Nelson then the move is needed, otherwise keep him a RB it's that simple. Assuming they can make Cobb and Nelson work they are fine a WR, you go out draft another guy to fit into the mix.

    On a side note, it's been the Packers M.O. to have a promsing developmental guy plus a big 2.

    Possibly Cobb/Adams-???
    Nelson/Cobb-Adams
    Nelson/Jones/Jennings-Cobb
    Jennings/Driver-Nelson
    Attempted: Driver/Ferguson-Jennings/Walker
    Schroeder/Freeman-Driver
    Freeman/Brooks-Schroeder
    Sharp/Brooks-Freeman (kinda)

    I'm stretching this a little here, but the point is the Packers dating back to Ron Wolf have draft WR well so I don't necessarily see a reason to go out an waste money on a free agent when you likely will be able to draft one in the 3rd or so round.
    Monty is sort of the nature replacement for Cobb to be honest. Heís a guy who should be able to do what Cobb does mostly. Not sure heís the same route runner, but we should be able to do the same things with monty.

    Thing with WR though is that we typically donít go this long between drafting wr. Monty is a RB now, so Iím not sure he counts. But Adams is the only wr weíve taken in the first 3 rounds since Cobb depending on how you classify Monty. Typically we havent waited that long to draft guys. Usually the young replacement guy has a year in the system before he steps up. So if you retain Cobb and Nelson then draft one, it probably works. If you donít have confidence in Cobb and or Nelson, you may need to use free agency to fill that gap.

    I know Iíve mentioned the 2nd tier guys some. But even the third tier types like a mike Wallace might be willing to take a cheapish deal to play with Rodgers. In that case, Iíd still want to retain one of Cobb or Nelson, hopefully at a discounted rate and draft a guy.

    And thatís part of what Iím interested in BGs drafts. Ted was a very good drafter of receivers. Of the guys he took in the top 3 rounds, Terrence Murphy was a bust but that was due to injury. Outside of that, Monty has been the worst one. But he definitely had a profile. All the guys he took were hyper productive smaller school or less named big conference school guys who had good size and are all around good athletes, but were never elite at one athletic trait. They were all relatively interchangeable. Cobb and Monty didnít quite fit the mold, but the others were all very similar. We never really took a chance early on a true burner or the big jump ball guy. Iím interested to see if BGs philosophy is different and see if he brings in a variety of athletic profiles for WRs.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    29,649
    Id be interested in trying to steal Bryant away from the Steelers. I think he'd be a good fit in our WR core.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    11,020
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCheese12 View Post
    Id be interested in trying to steal Bryant away from the Steelers. I think he'd be a good fit in our WR core.
    I agree with this. And he could be had for pennies on the dollar. He needs a fresh start, and id drool for the price.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •