Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    I donít know if anyone had a chance to watch/listen to the coaching press conferences yesterday, but Iím excited for the new hires. Philbin is just a genuinely good dude, so I hope he succeeds just due to that. But he mentioned how he thinks he has more perspective now on what mccarthys job all entails, so he thinks he can be an even better coordinator now that he knows more of what mike does.

And Iím very excited about pettine. Seems like a very smart guy and doesnít seem arrogant or a ďmy way or the highwayĒ type of coach. He seems very open to input from his assistants and willing to adjust to different defenses to fit different skill sets.

Also exited that McCarthy is really taking this opportunity to start fresh as well. He said he and the offensive staff are starting from scratch and rebuilding the playbook. Heís basically treating this like year 1 all over again. I think well obviously see very similar concepts, but we may have a fresher playbook too.
    Just got around to watching them a few minutes ago.
    Based on what I have seen it seems like Pettine will be a solid DC for us but the thing that excites me most is that it seems like he is really fired up to be here.

Aaron Rodgers was as surprised as anyone to see his quarterbacks coach Alex Van Pelt leave the Green Bay Packers last month.

And he doesn't sound too happy about it.

Appearing on ESPN Radio's Golic & Wingo from the Super Bowl in Minneapolis on Thursday, Rodgers said some of the Packers' offseason coaching changes were "a little strange."

"Well, my quarterback coach didn't get retained," Rodgers said when asked for specifics. "I thought that was an interesting change, really without consulting me. There's a close connection between quarterback and quarterback coach, and that was an interesting decision."

The changes came after the Packers missed the playoffs for the first time in nine years. They went 7-9, playing half the season without Rodgers because of his broken right collarbone. Packers president Mark Murphy replaced general manager Ted Thompson with Brian Gutekunst, while coach Mike McCarthy fired defensive coordinator Dom Capers and offensive coordinator Edgar Bennett, as well as several other assistant coaches.

McCarthy indicated last month that Van Pelt decided to let his contract run out in order to pursue an offensive coordinator job. It allowed Van Pelt to become a free agent and prevented the Packers from blocking him for other jobs as they have done with assistants in the past. McCarthy brought back Joe Philbin as offensive coordinator, and Van Pelt ended up as the Bengals' quarterbacks coach. The Packers hired Giants assistant Frank Cignetti Jr. as their new quarterbacks coach.

"When you get to this point, frankly this decision was made last year," McCarthy said last month of Van Pelt. "I don't want to speak on Alex's, his thoughts, but this is a moment he's prepared himself for." Van Pelt had been with the Packers since 2012 and served as quarterbacks coach since 2014.

Among the other changes was the hiring of Mike Pettine as defensive coordinator.

When asked how far off the Packers are from being in the Super Bowl, Rodgers said: "I'd say we're not too far off. If you look at the final four teams that were in it, three of the four have dominating defenses, and the other one is the Patriots, who are often the most well-coached in the NFL. So you're looking at what Jacksonville did this year with their defense, what obviously Minnesota, they do with their defense, and Philly was phenomenal.

"We've got to get back to playing championship defense. We've got a new coordinator, actually on both sides. Joe Philbin came back, and his last year with us was '11, and we had a pretty damn good offense that year. So it's exciting having him back. Some other changes that are a little strange, maybe, but we'll see how they all play out."
    -ESPN.com

Rodgers thoughts on the coaching changes.

Rodgers deserves to have more say in the organization. It'd be pretty dumb to piss your QB off when you're about to have contract negotiations.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCheese12 View Post
    Rodgers deserves to have more say in the organization. It'd be pretty dumb to piss your QB off when you're about to have contract negotiations.
    I disagree with this. Letting players have too much say is terrible. I love Lebron and think he might be the best player ever. But ever since heís tried to make organizational decisions, itís been a disaster.

And itís the same with Aaron. New coaching with new ideas doesnít hurt anyone, even him. If it was up to him, all of his buddy coaches would have big jobs. He was a huge mcadoo fan, and heíd probably have mcadoo in a high up position too.

Same with players. Kuhn would still be around. Nelson and Cobb would not be cut or renegotiated. He would have brought James Jones to a big deal.

Either way, players are too close to the situation, even the best ones. Giving them control is a bad idea. And at the end of the day, Rodgers isnít going anywhere. Heís under contract for 2 more years. After that, we could franchise tag him twice in a row without paying a ridiculous sum. As long as heís still playing well, a 3rd tag isnít out of the question for him. So unless he wants to retire or hold out, heís a Packer for 4 more years at least.

I disagree with this. Letting players have too much say is terrible. I love Lebron and think he might be the best player ever. But ever since heís tried to make organizational decisions, itís been a disaster.

And itís the same with Aaron. New coaching with new ideas doesnít hurt anyone, even him. If it was up to him, all of his buddy coaches would have big jobs. He was a huge mcadoo fan, and heíd probably have mcadoo in a high up position too.

Same with players. Kuhn would still be around. Nelson and Cobb would not be cut or renegotiated. He would have brought James Jones to a big deal.

Either way, players are too close to the situation, even the best ones. Giving them control is a bad idea. And at the end of the day, Rodgers isnít going anywhere. Heís under contract for 2 more years. After that, we could franchise tag him twice in a row without paying a ridiculous sum. As long as heís still playing well, a 3rd tag isnít out of the question for him. So unless he wants to retire or hold out, heís a Packer for 4 more years at least.
    You disagree, what a shocker.

I am not saying he should have complete control and draft players and sign FA's, dude. But if there's a coach he really likes and wants to keep around i think he should have more say. He's more important to this organization than anyone else at this current point in time. Without him this team is complete crap and that is a fact jack.
    Last edited by TheBigCheese12; 02-02-2018 at 12:18 AM.

Yawn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just so I can drink the irrational packer fan kool aid, I need to understand the position. Our coaches suck and Rodgers carries them. We need to get new coaches. But we arenít allowed to let the coaches Rodgers like go?

I guess I need to get on board with this whole plan. Since you know, I figured since everyone called for all the coaches heads, we were actually supposed to be happy with new coaches.

Or as irrational packers fans, are we not supposed to have any logic with our arguements? And what if Rodgers really likes McCarthy as a head coach? Does that change the opinions of the people who think heís trash and should have been fired?

I don't really think Rodgers should have any say in any coaching decision. The offense has been a bit stale for a while (not just with Hundley) and I'm glad changes were made across the board. If MM doesn't get it right this time with the Philbin back and the completely rebuilt playbook then can be on his way out as well.

Also, it has been widely reported that Van Pelt wasn't fired. His contract was up and he chose to move on to see if he could get an OC job. This dated back to last year when Van Pelt didn't want an extension and chose to go into the final year of his deal for this very reason.

So this whole thing is a story about absolutely nothing.

I liked how Rodgers said heís glad to have Philbin back...which coincidentally was the last time Mcarthys offense was really good...shots fired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just so I can drink the irrational packer fan kool aid, I need to understand the position. Our coaches suck and Rodgers carries them. We need to get new coaches. But we arenít allowed to let the coaches Rodgers like go?

I guess I need to get on board with this whole plan. Since you know, I figured since everyone called for all the coaches heads, we were actually supposed to be happy with new coaches.

Or as irrational packers fans, are we not supposed to have any logic with our arguements? And what if Rodgers really likes McCarthy as a head coach? Does that change the opinions of the people who think heís trash and should have been fired?
    You can show me where i said i wanted all the coaches fired. I wanted TT, and Capers gone. MM i could care less if he stayed a bit longer or left as well. But out of respect for your best player, the player your team lives and dies with, you should probably at least have a sit down with him and at least hear him out on what he'd like to have happen. I mean we should be keeping him happy wouldn't you think?

And you can leave the whole irrational fan crap aside. People are allowed to have different opinions on things. Apparently you could care less about keep our star QB happy. This organization has let him down in more ways then one and i think he's getting tired of it and i don't blame him one bit.

I never said you. The guy who posted below you thinks everyone should be fired.

And sure, you keep your best player happy, but you run the risk of not doing what best for him. Part of the reason brady and bellichek work so well together is because bill constantly holds brady accountable. Sure, thereís tension there, but theyíve also been crazy successful.

Look at what happened with Favre. Sherman quit holding Favre accountable and let him do what he wanted. We went 4-12 the year before McCarty came and cracked down. Players need coaches to hold them accountable. Once you cross the line of letting players make coaching decisions, itís a slippery slope.

Besides, the rumor is AVP left on his own accord.

I never said you. The guy who posted below you thinks everyone should be fired.

And sure, you keep your best player happy, but you run the risk of not doing what best for him. Part of the reason brady and bellichek work so well together is because bill constantly holds brady accountable. Sure, thereís tension there, but theyíve also been crazy successful.

Look at what happened with Favre. Sherman quit holding Favre accountable and let him do what he wanted. We went 4-12 the year before McCarty came and cracked down. Players need coaches to hold them accountable. Once you cross the line of letting players make coaching decisions, itís a slippery slope.

Besides, the rumor is AVP left on his own accord.
    I am not saying he should be given the keys to the organization or anything like that. But i feel like he's in a position where he should have a bit more say in what goes on specially when it comes to the guys he's working with.

Yeah i heard that rumor too but Rodgers is acting like he had no clue about Van Pelt leaving as if no one even talked to him about it. Van Pelt left GB and took the same position with the Bengals so i don't buy the whole OC crap. IFFFFFF Rodgers really did like him that much then offer the dude more money to stick around.

IDK it is what it is. I am sure he'll be happy once they give him a new contract and this crap won't matter. But i will stand by what i said, i think he deserves to have more say on things.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456