Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hallzi43 View Post
    First hire is Jim Hostler at WR coach. Probably safe to say McCarthy isn't going anywhere despite the GM if he is beginning to set up a staff.
    Good hire he has a good deal of experience while he wasn't the best OC for the 49ers I like the pick up he has a good deal of experience behind him. His big task moving forward will be developing guys like Yancey to serviceable NFL talents.

Reports are don't expect much movement interns of OC and DC. DC is Mms priority and the OC won't be hired until after the DC is hired which make sense. They are set on interviewing Fangio and Gus Bradley from what I read but neither would be free until Tuesday once the "deadline" passes.

Prior to what amounted to a failed stint coaching the Dolphins, Joe Philbin operated as the Packersí offensive coordinator. It looks like he will be headed back to Green Bay for a similar role.

The Packers are expected to rehire Philbin as a key member of their offensive staff, Rob Demovsky of ESPN.com reports. While Philbin might not be given the title of offensive coordinator, Demovsky notes the former Green Bay assistant would assume many of the duties commonly associated with that title. Mike McCarthy will keep play-calling responsibilities, Demovsky reports.

Ian Rapoport of NFL.com tweets Philbin will be interviewed by his former organization soon, so signs are pointing toward a reunion between the 56-year-old coach and his longest-tenured NFL employer. Philbin coached with the Packers from 2003-11, comprising part of Mike Sherman and McCarthyís staffs during that span. He was the Green Bay OC from 2007-11. Philbin spent the past two seasons working as the Coltsí offensive line coach.

The Packers are currently filling out their offensive and defensive staffs amid a substantial overhaul. Offensively, the team dismissed OC Edgar Bennett, and quarterbacks coach Alex Van Pelt let his contract expire to pursue other possible opportunities, Demovsky notes. Wideouts coach Luke Getsy took a job at Mississippi State.
    profootballrumors.com

Philbin brought back as the non-official Offensive Coordinator.

Rumor also says there could possibly be a reunion with Ben McAdoo

RIP Gene Wilder

I'm cool with Joe coming back, and McAdoo as QB coach.

Joe was a really good fit here glad to have him back!

Iím optimistic about Philbin coming back. When he left was right around the time frame when Rodgers YPA took a major dip, and when defenses started figuring out how to properly defend our offense. Hopefully he was the missing link in our success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The DC search is going to be an interesting one now that Joe all but has his old job back.

I forgot the article and it was quite a while ago so itís probably tough to find. But philbinís strongest attribute was his organization and attention to detail. So philbin wasnít neccesarily a huge part of our scheming or anything like that.

But he held the offensive more accountable and was a big time task master and thatís partially why we seemed to have less mental and communication style mistakes.

And heís worked with other people, so Iím sure he has more ideas. But Iím not sure philbin is a guy whoís going to come in and drastically change the offensive philosophy, just hopefully will help with execution.
    Last edited by crewfan13; 01-07-2018 at 04:13 PM.

Bears tagged former chiefs OC Matt Nagy as head coach. Thatís probably great news for us. I always sort of assumed they would want a offensive coach to help with trubisky, but that was probably fangioís best shot at a head coahing gig. Itís still possible he gets his HC shot, but I think that just got less likely now that Chicago has a coach.

Former Browns head coach Mike Pettine will interview for the Packersí defensive coordinator job on Tuesday, a league source tells Adam Schefter of ESPN.com (on Twitter). Pettine becomes one of five known candidates in the running for the gig, as shown on PFRís Coordinator Tracker. Mike Pettine

Pettine spent last year as a defensive consultant for the Seahawks. In the fall, it was said that he would be one of Matt NagyĎs top choices for defensive coordinator if he were to land a head coaching job. Now that Nagy is in Chicago, itís possible that Pettine could wind up as a candidate for two different jobs in the same division.

Pettine first made a name for himself as a key defensive coach on the Ravensí staff. When Rex Ryan left Baltimore for the Jets, he brought Pettine along as his DC. After a stint as Buffaloís DC and Clevelandís head coach, heís once again a candidate for a coordinator job.
    profootballrumors.com

Mike Pettine interviewed for DC opening

RIP Gene Wilder

Quote Originally Posted by PackerBum9786 View Post
    profootballrumors.com

Mike Pettine interviewed for DC opening
    I'd be cool with that.

I wouldn't mind Pettine or Fangio as the next DC.
    Pettine had some very solid defenses during his time as the Jets DC and since he runs the 3-4 it wouldn't be a complete overhaul of personnel.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Bears tagged former chiefs OC Matt Nagy as head coach. Thatís probably great news for us. I always sort of assumed they would want a offensive coach to help with trubisky, but that was probably fangioís best shot at a head coahing gig. Itís still possible he gets his HC shot, but I think that just got less likely now that Chicago has a coach.
    What I found interesting about this hire was Nagy until this Dec. didn't call plays. They bring him in to develop Trubisky, but his track record really has no QB developments, Alex Smith was the primary QB he worked with. Yeah he worked with Maholm, but we have no clue what he will be.

If anything this helps us get Fangio, I would imagine Fangio would much rather work with McCarthy than a rookie head coach. I may be wrong, but the Bears at best a two years from contending. He is close with Capers and has to have a shining endorsement. His game planning gets a lot easier with the move not needing to pencil Aaron Rodgers twice a season as well (LOL).

I read a report from Rapoport saying Fangio is the top choice. There are no hurdles to getting Fangio now either.

Quote Originally Posted by hughest4 View Post
    I wouldn't mind Pettine or Fangio as the next DC.
    Pettine had some very solid defenses during his time as the Jets DC and since he runs the 3-4 it wouldn't be a complete overhaul of personnel.
    I agree both good choices and the margin of separation would not be huge. Both get us back on track. I would prefer Fangio, but if he choses another gig the Pettine would be a solid plan B. After that I would image it would be the in house guys Perry, Witt, and Moss(Being a HC candidate likely drops him in my view.)

Apparently interested in Gus Bradley as DC as well.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast