Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gopackgo87 View Post
    Apparently interested in Gus Bradley as DC as well.
    Wouldn't hate the pick up he was the DC that was there when the Legion of Boom started in Seattle. The success obviously carried over between coordinators, but we could do a lot worse. He is in the running for Seattle as well and may be more inclined to go back. Still would be maybe 2a/2b with Pettine, but I think Fangio is our nest bet still.

Prior to this year, I would have been all over Bradley. But the Seattle system was always that cover 3 style system. And to me, Earl Thomas makes that whole scheme go. I know they have like a crazy good record when the middle backer plays vs when he doesnít, and you could argue we could draft that insane ILB this year at 14 in smith. (Martinez would be a great olb in that system.) But we donít have the Thomas to make it all work. I thought maybe haha would get there, but he regressed majorly.

And given our teams inability to play zone, Iím not sure a cover 3 coordinator is the way to go. Iím sure Bradley can adjust and maybe his breath of fresh air will be what haha needs. But to me, in a cover 3, the free safety is the difference maker. And having a mlb with the speed to run and drop is pretty important as well. We may have the mlb in Martinez, although getting a guy like smith and sliding martinez outside in a 4-3 scheme might be better. But I donít think we have the safety.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Prior to this year, I would have been all over Bradley. But the Seattle system was always that cover 3 style system. And to me, Earl Thomas makes that whole scheme go. I know they have like a crazy good record when the middle backer plays vs when he doesnít, and you could argue we could draft that insane ILB this year at 14 in smith. (Martinez would be a great olb in that system.) But we donít have the Thomas to make it all work. I thought maybe haha would get there, but he regressed majorly.

And given our teams inability to play zone, Iím not sure a cover 3 coordinator is the way to go. Iím sure Bradley can adjust and maybe his breath of fresh air will be what haha needs. But to me, in a cover 3, the free safety is the difference maker. And having a mlb with the speed to run and drop is pretty important as well. We may have the mlb in Martinez, although getting a guy like smith and sliding martinez outside in a 4-3 scheme might be better. But I donít think we have the safety.
    I was kind of hinting at this as well. I think he's option three, but their defense carried on two coordinators after Bradley, and I would agree and say some of that success lies in the hands of the personnel there. Earl Thomas is a big part, throw in Kam Chancellor as well as one of those safties. Not sure his scheme would have an immediate impact.

I don't think the system would be as impactful because you are right we don't have Seattle's safeties but I think it could be serviceable if and that if Ha Ha with the right guidance, he could be a nice piece that could make his scheme feasable, but without Burnett I don't think they make the system work. Accordoing to pro-football reference the Chargers ranked 3rd in team defense. Their safeties were Tre Boston and Jahlel Addae, neither of which I think would grade out higher than our safeties.

A littl off topic, but I still say bringing back Burnett is a must. There is not a suitable option in free agency, if you go the FA route to replace him that's stupid because Burnett's contract/value isn't going to match. I know a lot of people are shying away from Burnett, but I don't think people come close to giving him enough credit. I get the cost factor, but I don't know how you justify letting him walk, his contract/play value should match well. We would have no chance at Derwin James, Eliot maybe a top 50 guy, but after that I think the safety stock drops signficantly. Josh Jones is simply not there yet.

What I would most be concerned with is our corners to be honest, he had Casey Hayward in LA, and in Seattle he had Sherman, Browner, Maxwell, etc. However, he's had success pretty much everywhere he's gone in terms of defense. With a good draft and smart free agent moves they could craft this into a Bradley defense. You have your linemen in place. You mentioned they can make the LB's work. It may not be an immediate success, but Bradley could definetly make this defense work.

Still leaning towards Fangio as it would likely be the smoothest transition, as well as, our best option.

If we hire Bradley, Burnett is a far from a must. Chancellor had success in that system as a box safety. I think in that system, Jones and/or Brice could fill the kam role very well. On the flip side, I think king very much fits the Sherman physical profile for a cover 3 corner. Knowing that heís bailing deep and not having to worry about flipped his hips to chase a bunch of inside crossing routes would really allow his athleticism to shine.

I think some of the success in LA is those pass rushers. Bosa and Ingram are flat out studs. Not trying to take something away from Bradley, but those guys played a huge part of making any system work.

I guess Iím sort of talking myself into a cover 3 again. Last offseason, I would have been all over it. This year, not so much. But then again, Iím talking myself into it. King would be a good fit. Our SS would be a fit. Randall is a ballhawk, so heís probably a fit too. But we need a FS and at least one more pass rusher.

You have to wonder how much input Bradley had in those Seattle drafts while he was there. Some pretty significant finds.

2010 Earl Thomas, Kam Chancellor
    2011 KJ Wright, Richard Sherman, Byron Maxwell
    2012 Bruce Irvin, Bobby Wagner, Jeremy Lane

Those are huge pieces to the Seattle defense during his tenure.

Then again you look at Jacksonville's 4 drafts under his Head Coaching tenure and it makes you scratch your head a bit. Granted they spent most of that time trying to build an offense around junk quarterbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by hallzi43 View Post
    You have to wonder how much input Bradley had in those Seattle drafts while he was there. Some pretty significant finds.

2010 Earl Thomas, Kam Chancellor
    2011 KJ Wright, Richard Sherman, Byron Maxwell
    2012 Bruce Irvin, Bobby Wagner, Jeremy Lane

Those are huge pieces to the Seattle defense during his tenure.

Then again you look at Jacksonville's 4 drafts under his Head Coaching tenure and it makes you scratch your head a bit. Granted they spent most of that time trying to build an offense around junk quarterbacks.
    I would argue very little most team draft structure involve the Owner, GM, HC, and scouts with some slight input from a few other areas. As for the Jacksonville thing he would have had more input there so Jacksonville may be more telling interms of his "talent eye." However, he could have been vetoed as the GM usually has the final say. There's two sides to that coin though, Bradley's defenses may have not panned out in Jacksonville, but few of those players ended up being solid picks and a good part of this years top ranked Jacksonville defense.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post

I was disappointed in HaHa this year but i was reading an article not to long ago and it basically was talking about how HaHa was frustrated this year because he was forced to play deep all the time since our CB's were garbage. He felt like he was put in a position where he couldn't make plays because he was forced to protect the deep ball all the time. Which i would completely understand. Only thing the frustrates me the most about HaHa is that he hasn't been that great of a tackler. But maybe with a new GM they can get the best out of him.

I think Dix is right, Capers had him playing a zone or almost a prevent every play. Hard to make a play when you have to start 20 yards off the ball.

I think thatís kind of a crap excuse. He had chances to make plays and didnít make them. Scheme may have been an issue, but you have to play through it. Other guys did it. But haha didnít.

Other guys did? Like who? Cause our entire secondary was complete garbage. HaHa had a down year no doubt but it could very well have a lot to do with scheme. At least i am hoping so cause trying to draft another FS would really suck.

Randall played well after the Chicago game. Burnett had a fine season. Martinez had a great year. Daniels was good as always. Clark stepped up.

It wasnít a good year for our defense. Iím sure there were plenty of guys who would have liked different roles. But they didnít piss and moan all year and play like complete garbage. Then after the year they didnít make excuses about the organization not bringing vets back.

I hope he bounces back. And maybe he can. But his play and general attitude this year were terrible. Read his post season comments and compare them to Morgan Burnettís. Both guys werenít in a great situation. One took the blame and said the players, particularly himself need to be better. The other one complained about management and lack of vets in the locker room. Even if thatís the issue, thatís not leadership.
    Last edited by crewfan13; 01-09-2018 at 09:42 PM.

As per Adam Schefter the Packers have hired Pettine as their DC. I like the pick I think he gets the D on track.

@AdamSchefter

Packers now preparing to hire former Brownsí HC Mike Pettine as their defensive coordinator, per league source.
    I'm guessing Fangio turned down an interview. Like the pick though. Let's get down to business.

Interesting choice. Think heíll get a bad rep publicly due to his poor head coaching record but sometimes those guys make for excellent coordinators.

Canít be much worse ... letís hope it works out

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast