Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Packers Extend McCarthy through 2019

Packers have given HC Mike McCarthy a one-year extension through 2019, per @RobDemovsky
    This will silent all the people calling for MM's job, and frankly I think its the right one. You give him a year to get a new DC and if thats the issue then keep him. It also allows them to keep the focus on the new GM and DC. Add in it allows the new GM to focus on players and patching other areas not a coaching search. If they chose to drop him next year then so be it, but for now great decisions, and I think next year he will likely be inposition for retention.

Kind of makes sense. He can't really coach on a lame duck contract. So this tells me he gets a year with the new DC and GM and then the new GM gets to make a decision.

I would argue next season may be Super Bowl victory or bust kind of season for McCarthy. I don't think a division championship/playoff appearance will cut it next season for him to keep his job, and a lot of factors will go into that, first, new GM may want his guy, two, only one Super Bowl with Aaron Rodgers in past 10 years simply doesnt cut it, and there would be many more. This I think allows McCarthy to focus on next season, but also shouldn't keep him comfortable, it's basically guaranteeing him 2018.

I don't think it is a Super Bowl victory or bust per say for McCarthy. But anything short of 13 wins and a division championship appearance is going to put him in the hot seat.

And that is nothing short of a miraculous thought in itself. The Falcons and 49ers won't be easy home games and going away against the Rams, Seahawks, and Patriots will be tough as well. That isn't even starting with our division.

Quote Originally Posted by hallzi43 View Post
    I don't think it is a Super Bowl victory or bust per say for McCarthy. But anything short of 13 wins and a division championship appearance is going to put him in the hot seat.

And that is nothing short of a miraculous thought in itself. The Falcons and 49ers won't be easy home games and going away against the Rams, Seahawks, and Patriots will be tough as well. That isn't even starting with our division.
    I stand by my verdict. I get this season Rodgers was down, and before he went down it looked like we were cruising to the Super Bowl, but you have Aaron Rodgers and have have had countless near falls IE Seattle, Arizona, etc. Lombardi comes home or it's adios. You can't continue to waste Aaron Rodgers and if next year is not adding a ring to Rodgers resume next season is not completed you have to move, not because McCarthy is a bad coach, bur out of respect to your franchise QB. That may be my personal opinion, but the new GM needs to think the same way. This is Titletown.

I think if MM goes to the NFC title game he'll be fine. No pressure lol. I think MM has done a pretty darn good job. Seriously is there a team with worse injury problems than GB? But MM other than AR no one being injured, even 15 guys going on IR in SB year has stopped him from winning and the team always plays hard. A SB berth snatched away by collapse in Seattle.

MM deserves the chance with a new DC. If the team comes out flat or stinks in 2018 than time to move on if new GM wants own guy. But I think MM deserves the opportunity for a longer leash.

Apparently this extension was quietly done in the middle of the season and is just being reported now.

From reports Capers was his boy which is why he stuck around so long so I'm sure MM gets the point.

I really don't see it being SB or bust. Packers will rebound and have a good year. MM will be safe. Yes, Packers should have more superbowls and MM should be responsible for not having a better ST's and defense over the years. His biggest fault is holding onto coaches for too long. His offensive system and coaching just isn't the problem IMO and I know others will disagree.

One thing I find interesting is how highly Bill Bilichick thinks of MM. You rarely see it from him yet for some reason when it comes to MM, Bilichick is a big supporter. If you can trust anyones ability to judge everything football and especially coaching then it should be him. This is random but something that is very apparent when they play or when the Packers come up around BB.
    Last edited by Kevolu; 01-03-2018 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevolu View Post
    I really don't see it being SB or bust. Packers will rebound and have a good year. MM will be safe. Yes, Packers should have more superbowls and MM should be responsible for not having a better ST's and defense over the years. His biggest fault is holding onto coaches for too long. His offensive system and coaching just isn't the problem IMO and I know others will disagree.

One thing I find interesting is how highly Bill Bilichick thinks of MM. You rarely see it from him yet for some reason when it comes to MM, Bilichick is a big supporter. If you can trust anyones ability to judge everything football and especially coaching then it should be him. This is random but something that is very apparent when they play or when the Packers come up around BB.
    It makes sense that Belicheck would be a supporter. McCarthy is however the 3rd winningest coach among current coaches behind Belicheck himself and Andy Reid. (based on total wins, I think McCarthy might be 2nd by %)

I still say he should have been let go after the Seattle fiasco