Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 37
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    14,433

    Jack's 2018 Tennis Blog

    I will be blogging my thoughts throughout the 2018 season in hopes of generating some discussion. This blog will mostly consist of my thoughts on my favorite players.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    14,433
    I was happy to see Angie Kerber pick up a singles and mixed doubles win at the Hopman Cup. She seemed to be effected by the attention and expectations at the start of last season and never got going. By Wimbledon, it was starting to get painful to watch. I still see some reluctance to play with the same aggressiveness that she played with in 2016. She reverts to playing too safe at times. Starting off the year with a win was pretty crucial, perhaps more so to her than to any other girl in the top 30. A lot of girls cited wins over Angie as the highlight of their year last season. She really needed to start the season off with a win. I'm hoping she returns to the winners circle this year. Let's go Angie!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    14,433
    Another nice win today for Angie over Bouchard. I'm very happy with the way she has started the year. The dictated play in the first set and really took it to Bouchard. Hoping she keeps it rolling to Melbourne.

    Dimitrov is a guy that I have high hopes for this year. He started out 2017 really well with a win at Brisbane and then made it to the semis at the AO. He dropped off after that and didn't find his groove again until Cincinnati. That was some of the best tennis I had seen him play. I really thought he had a shot at the US Open after so many of the top seeds bowed out. After the win at the year end event, the time for Grigor is now. I don't see Roger and Rafa taking all of the slams again. Who knows where Novak's game will be. I really hope Grigor is coming in confident from the way he finished up his 2017 season and feels he belongs at the top. Men's tennis badly needs some new champions.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    53,841
    I hate Dmitrov.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    14,433
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    I hate Dmitrov.
    Why?

    I like him. He's a great guy. Always respectful. His inconsistency has kept him from reaching a Final, but man, he's so close. Dimitrov and Goffin are my two favorite male players under 30.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    53,841
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    Why?

    I like him. He's a great guy. Always respectful. His inconsistency has kept him from reaching a Final, but man, he's so close. Dimitrov and Goffin are my two favorite male players under 30.
    That's why.

    It's like that stock you buy thinking it will shoot up but it keeps crashing. All the talent in the world and he barely has anything to show for it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    14,433
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    That's why.

    It's like that stock you buy thinking it will shoot up but it keeps crashing. All the talent in the world and he barely has anything to show for it.
    He is a frustrating player to watch. He can be so good (Australian 2017) and so bad (US Open 2017). The constant comparisons to Roger certainly didn't help any.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    53,841
    Even his finals win this year seems a lot more hollow than it should.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    14,433
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    Even his finals win this year seems a lot more hollow than it should.
    That event and the tournaments that were formerly called the Masters series events just don't hold the same importance that they once did. That is entirely a result of the dominance of Djokovic, Federer, and Nadal over the last 10+ years. Go back 20 years when there was more parody in the mens game and those tournaments meant something. Winning them was a significant accomplishment. Having an elite group that wins everything has lessened the meaning and importance of winning those tournaments. They've become a consolation prize in the event that one of the aforementioned three men don't win it. That and many other reasons is why mens tennis is at an all-time low for me.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    53,841
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    That event and the tournaments that were formerly called the Masters series events just don't hold the same importance that they once did. That is entirely a result of the dominance of Djokovic, Federer, and Nadal over the last 10+ years. Go back 20 years when there was more parody in the mens game and those tournaments meant something. Winning them was a significant accomplishment. Having an elite group that wins everything has lessened the meaning and importance of winning those tournaments. They've become a consolation prize in the event that one of the aforementioned three men don't win it. That and many other reasons is why mens tennis is at an all-time low for me.
    It makes it more valuable IMO. The fact that the top names constantly play shows that if someone wins outside of the big 4 (and beats them during the tournament), that's a hell of an accomplishment.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    29,911
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    Another nice win today for Angie over Bouchard. I'm very happy with the way she has started the year. The dictated play in the first set and really took it to Bouchard. Hoping she keeps it rolling to Melbourne.

    Dimitrov is a guy that I have high hopes for this year. He started out 2017 really well with a win at Brisbane and then made it to the semis at the AO. He dropped off after that and didn't find his groove again until Cincinnati. That was some of the best tennis I had seen him play. I really thought he had a shot at the US Open after so many of the top seeds bowed out. After the win at the year end event, the time for Grigor is now. I don't see Roger and Rafa taking all of the slams again. Who knows where Novak's game will be. I really hope Grigor is coming in confident from the way he finished up his 2017 season and feels he belongs at the top. Men's tennis badly needs some new champions.
    Bouchard is really hot. I'd really like to see her challenge this year
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    29,911
    With Serena out, who do you favor in Australia?
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    53,841
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    Bouchard is really hot. I'd really like to see her challenge this year
    She's too busy worrying about her social media.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    14,433
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    Bouchard is really hot. I'd really like to see her challenge this year
    Something is missing with Bouchard. She is certainly fit. I don't know if it's a lack of defensive play or that she just isn't a great mover, perhaps a lack of motivation because she prefers being photographed on the beach than holding trophies, but something is missing there and I'm quite certain we'll never see her reach the top.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    14,433
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    With Serena out, who do you favor in Australia?
    Muguruza is probably the favorite to win now, with Karolina Pliskova the next in line behind her. They have the ability to overpower everyone else in the draw and Muguruza especially has the ability to turn it up a level and just dominate for two weeks. Halen is coming in hot, but I'm not sure I trust her enough to make it through 2 weeks on the hard courts. If Kerber can carry the momentum in from some nice wins at the Hopman Cup, I could see her making a run to the final four.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •