Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketfuel View Post
    Question: Why hasn't Byron Jones blossomed yet? He's freakishly athletic and fast... those are traits that are usually valuable commodities in the secondary. The guy tested through the roof at his combine. Most of the top teams in the playoffs have very strong defenses, so I don't even think we'll have a legit show until that defense is taken up a notch, or three.

And Zookman, I've noticed that some of the stronger teams were able to find gold after the first round. I still drool at that Kamara pick--literally changed the fortunes of the Saints. The guy can catch, run back kicks...he's better than their starting running back. If you recall, we picked Marcus Spears (need) over Aaron Rodgers. I absolutely prefer picking talent over position. Even if it's a valued position like offensive line or defensive line, if there's a clear stud, I'd rather go for that. I also think we need to give some more speedy threats to Dak or a young Tony Gonzalez type---why not make it easier on Dak---if he's your guy, then at least help him on the growing pains.
    I am hopeful that the move of Byron Jones to corner will give him a lift. Pretty clear he doesn't really enjoy bringing the hammer like the great safeties in the league. As you say he is more than athletic enough to play the corner position.

A young stud field stretching TE would be great however I have heard reports in the media that the reason they didn't exploit the pass catching talents of Escobar was that he couldn't block well enough for their SCHEME! Stop me if you have heard me complain about being beholden to the Garrett scheme You could literally be a Gronkowski type end in the passing game but if you don't block like young Jason Witten your not seeing the field.

Quote Originally Posted by zookman65 View Post
    I am hopeful that the move of Byron Jones to corner will give him a lift. Pretty clear he doesn't really enjoy bringing the hammer like the great safeties in the league. As you say he is more than athletic enough to play the corner position.

A young stud field stretching TE would be great however I have heard reports in the media that the reason they didn't exploit the pass catching talents of Escobar was that he couldn't block well enough for their SCHEME! Stop me if you have heard me complain about being beholden to the Garrett scheme You could literally be a Gronkowski type end in the passing game but if you don't block like young Jason Witten your not seeing the field.
    That's true. I do notice that some of these great organizations are really good at coaching up and teaching their guys. Many are not finished products, but end up being made the most out of them. Blocking is something that can be taught--it's not rocket science. Also, I think our coaching staff is not adaptable enough. Opponents will throw wrinkles at you and force you to play out of your comfort zone...so you've got to have many different ways to win.

Im in love with James but also recognize the need of a WR so id move up including our 2nd for ridley. we're going to have a crap load of draft capital when the comp picks come out, we can get back into the second easily. i think with landry now tagged we need to explore a Marty Bryant trade. get lawrence signed long-term or at least not tagged and explore a cap hit of dez for thomas (SEA). move up for James if need be, get back inside the top 40 and draft dj moore (maryland). find a vet guard on the cheap in FA for a year. get back to running the ball and have the big play possibilities of bryant and moore outside with beasley/ whoever/ witten inside. thomas is your CF and James is your cam chancellor. you can find a 1T in the 3rd/4th round.

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/3/2/17...wide-receivers

St. Brown impressed at the combine. some talk about a need and i agree, to trade up for a wr. but with the board likely wiped James, Ro' Smith at 19. I would not
    be mad at a 6'5 guy who can boogie downfield.
    Last edited by Farty Farts; 03-04-2018 at 10:30 PM.

I donít think they should trade up at all. This team has too many needs. I do think they will be drafting a WR within the 1st two rounds though. They have interviewed pretty much every top WR prospect in the draft.

I read some blog that said the Seahawks are open to dealing Michael Bennett and Earl Thomas (for a day 2 pick). And that Earl Thomas wants to be a Cowboy.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketfuel View Post
    I read some blog that said the Seahawks are open to dealing Michael Bennett and Earl Thomas (for a day 2 pick). And that Earl Thomas wants to be a Cowboy.
    Don't really want Michael Bennett, but I do want Earl Thomas. He's awesome. They only want a day 2 pick for Thomas? I'd ship them our 2nd an 4th round picks for him in a heartbeat. Especially since we have a few extra comp picks.

Also, nobody mentioned it yet, but we tagged D Law yesterday. That number is $17 million. Hopefully we can work out a longer term deal though. I'm not totally opposed to letting him play on the tag this year to see if last year was a fluke, but if we can get a longer deal in the 4 year range I'd be happy with it. I would hope we could get him for less than Olivier Vernon, who signed a 5 year 85 million dollar deal. I'd like a 4 year $65 million deal, but that's unlikely I guess.

Say you were going to put together a FA wish list with 3 players to sign. Who would you bring in (assuming we could open enough cap space up)?

Here is my list:

1. Dontari Poe, DT ($6.5 million/year)

I think he would fortify the middle of our line and make it so we could pass on a guy like Vea in the first round and go for a sexier pick.

2. Josh Sitton, G ($4 million/year)

He has some injury concerns, but he'd be an upgrade over Cooper. Cooper played OK to end the year, but much of Prescott's struggles came because of poor offensive line play. We will probably bring Cooper back, but Sitton is better.

3. Tyler Eifert, TE (1 year @ $4 million)

His potential is still very high. His injury history is scary, so this would be a one year prove it deal. Maybe we could get Witten to take a pay cut and accommodate this. Healthy he is a top tight end, if he plays well and stays healthy he could be our long term answer.

Those three would require around $16 million in cap space on the low end. I'm not sure how we'd get there, but our team would be greatly improved by signing them.

Dolphins trade Jarvis Landry to the Browns

Sherman to be released, at 30 years old...time to move to safety?

Quote Originally Posted by Mamba42 View Post
    Don't really want Michael Bennett, but I do want Earl Thomas. He's awesome. They only want a day 2 pick for Thomas? I'd ship them our 2nd an 4th round picks for him in a heartbeat. Especially since we have a few extra comp picks.

thomas is getting an extension they have never shopped him they took offers from the outside though.

Is it just me or is this offseason crazy rich in trades?

Didn't see it til this morning, but the Cowboys released Benson Mayowa the other day. That doesn't do a ton for our cap space, but it opens up a little bit at around $1.7M. I'm guessing we will also restructure Frederick as well to open up some other space and then hopefully ink Martin to an extension that also might lower his cap number for this year (if they want to).

There's a rumor that the Cowboys have interest in Sammy Watkins.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast