Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    397

    Official: Lions Fire HC Jim Caldwell After 4 Seasons

    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ssing-playoffs

    Shocked about this one.

    Jim Caldwell's tenure with the Detroit Lions is over.

    The team announced early Monday morning that general manager Bob Quinn informed Caldwell that he will not be returning as head coach.

    The news doesn't come as a surprise after the Lions lost hope for the playoffs by laying an egg in Cincinnati in Week 16.

    NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport previously reported that Caldwell's contract extension signed earlier in 2017 was for one year with options down the road, simply avoiding a lame-duck year. The contract nuance allowed the Lions to walk away from Caldwell after the season with minimal penalty.


    The Lions ended 9-7 in 2017 after a 3-1 start to the year. Caldwell will finish his four-year run in Detroit with a 36-28 record. He is the first Lions head coach with a winning record since Joe Schmidt in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Detroit made the playoffs twice and finished with a losing record just once under Caldwell.

    Despite the winning record, Caldwell's tenure was characterized by a failure to show up in big games, repeated letdowns against good teams, and close losses coupled with botched game-management scenarios. The Lions have not won a playoff game since 1991, the second-longest active drought in the NFL, and went 0-2 under Caldwell.

    The Week 16 loss to the Cincinnati Bengals, when a win would have kept the postseason hopes alive, typified the type of no-shows that became all too frequently in the coach's tenure. Detroit backed into the playoffs in 2016, losing three straight to end the year. In 2017, Caldwell's Lions beat just one team that ended the season with a winning record (Minnesota in Week 4).

    Firing Caldwell signals that simply beating up on bad teams is no longer good enough for owner Martha Firestone Ford. Caldwell helped guide the Lions out of Embarrassmentville for four seasons, but his tenure hit its ceiling.

    Quinn must now find the person to get Detroit over the top.

    In his first year, the Lions GM kept Caldwell on after making the playoffs last year. As Quinn makes his first coaching hire, all eyes turn to Foxborough, where the ex-New England Patriots executive spent 16 years.

    Rapoport reported Monday that the Lions are expected to interview Patriots defensive coordinator Matt Patricia for their open coaching position. If Patricia gets the nod, the Lions could retain Jim Bob Cooter and the offense, keeping continuity for quarterback Matthew Stafford.

    SUPER BOWL 52 CHAMPIONS!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    5,308
    Outside of BB, Tomlin, McCarthy and Carrol. Maybe Garrett for some strange reason. The life expectancy of an NFL job is probably 2.5 years.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    [emoji288]
    Posts
    10,837
    Quote Originally Posted by Heediot View Post
    Outside of BB, Tomlin, McCarthy and Carrol. Maybe Garrett for some strange reason. The life expectancy of an NFL job is probably 2.5 years.
    Not counting Garrett because his owner needs a puppet coach, what do the other four have in common? Head coaching jobs are completely linked to the QB.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    15,699
    I've never thought Caldwell was a good coach. Think the Lions will be much better off without him.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    16,018
    Caldwell was always an uninspiring type coach. They really need to bring in a smart offensive mind to really capitalize on Stafford prime.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    N
    Posts
    20,872
    Quote Originally Posted by Burkey3472 View Post
    Caldwell was always an uninspiring type coach. They really need to bring in a smart offensive mind to really capitalize on Stafford prime.
    They've been bringing in offensive/QB coaches for YEARS. Mariucci, Martz, Morningweg, Linehan, Lombardi.

    What they NEED is to stop thinking you can win championships by building around a QB. Build an actual football team for once in my lifetime. Please!

    1. Build strong trenches.
    2. Build a good D.
    3. Build a solid running game.
    4. Get the QB.

    Bad teams, like Detroit, do the opposite.

    Jacksonville is a great example of how to build a championship calibre team. They're not there yet, but if they bring in a QB this offseason, they're gonna be favourites to go all the way.
    Last edited by whooligun; 01-01-2018 at 03:12 PM.
    Lions #1 draft need: New ownership

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Annapolis MD
    Posts
    13,599
    You guys had great defensive trenches and a good D for years. They've truly neglected the offensive line though, just like the Colts have done

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    9,935
    The Lions are a good team, and you could argue Caldwell hasn't got the best out of them.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    45,585
    Quote Originally Posted by zn23 View Post
    The Lions are a good team, and you could argue Caldwell hasn't got the best out of them.
    This.

    PROCESSING

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,094
    Quote Originally Posted by whooligun View Post
    They've been bringing in offensive/QB coaches for YEARS. Mariucci, Martz, Morningweg, Linehan, Lombardi.

    What they NEED is to stop thinking you can win championships by building around a QB. Build an actual football team for once in my lifetime. Please!

    1. Build strong trenches.
    2. Build a good D.
    3. Build a solid running game.
    4. Get the QB.

    Bad teams, like Detroit, do the opposite.

    Jacksonville is a great example of how to build a championship calibre team. They're not there yet, but if they bring in a QB this offseason, they're gonna be favourites to go all the way.
    how many amazing teams have we seen suck balls because they can't score because they don't have a QB.
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    It's different now than it was.

    When he won the second one, Giants fans are here we're outside of their minds.
    That quote always cracks me up.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    N
    Posts
    20,872
    Quote Originally Posted by basch152 View Post
    how many amazing teams have we seen suck balls because they can't score because they don't have a QB.
    I give up. How many?

    Seriously though, how many teams have been successful by rebuilding around a quarterback like the Lions keep trying to do? It doesn’t happen often. Teams that build a good D, then add the QB have the better chance at success.
    Last edited by whooligun; 01-01-2018 at 07:53 PM.
    Lions #1 draft need: New ownership

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    N
    Posts
    20,872
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    You guys had great defensive trenches and a good D for years. They've truly neglected the offensive line though, just like the Colts have done
    Lions had a good D line for 2 or 3 years, until they couldn’t afford to keep both Suh and Stafford. Even then, they had a terrible secondary.
    Lions #1 draft need: New ownership

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Annapolis MD
    Posts
    13,599
    Quote Originally Posted by whooligun View Post
    Lions had a good D line for 2 or 3 years, until they couldn’t afford to keep both Suh and Stafford. Even then, they had a terrible secondary.
    Yes, but if you build from the trenches out, you can live with weakness in the next levels. I've never really seen a team build from the secondary down and have sustained success. Even the LOB with the Seahawks when they won the Super Bowl had a very good group in the trenches as well as in their linebacker corps.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    N
    Posts
    20,872
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    Yes, but if you build from the trenches out, you can live with weakness in the next levels. I've never really seen a team build from the secondary down and have sustained success. Even the LOB with the Seahawks when they won the Super Bowl had a very good group in the trenches as well as in their linebacker corps.
    I agree. Trenches first.
    Lions #1 draft need: New ownership

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,094
    Quote Originally Posted by whooligun View Post
    I give up. How many?

    Seriously though, how many teams have been successful by rebuilding around a quarterback like the Lions keep trying to do? It doesn’t happen often. Teams that build a good D, then add the QB have the better chance at success.
    how do you not see the flaw in this?

    first of all, it requires you nailing several picks in the draft to build an all around good team, then you have to hope and pray your ads off that the qb you choose doesn't end up sucking, because if he does your window where all your good players you drafted will be coming off their rookie contracts and you won't be able to keep them all.

    the only teams with any sustained success are teams that have elite QBs.

    everyone else will be good for maybe 3 years and then they're rebuilding.

    and look at the last 10 super bowls, across the board elite QBs on both teams except the Broncos, giants, the year with the niners/ravens, and maybe the panthers

    so like 15-16 out of the last 20 Superbowl teams were led by a great QB.

    and even going back further you have Peyton, roethlisberger, Brady, McNabb, hasselbeck, and warner led teams making up the bulk of appearences with really only the bears, ravens, and panthers not having a great QB, and those teams had all time defenses. in fact most of these teams without a QB had all time defenses.

    so basically your argument is building around a QB is dumb, instead just build an all time great defense to win. because that's really easy to do I guess
    Last edited by basch152; 01-02-2018 at 02:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    It's different now than it was.

    When he won the second one, Giants fans are here we're outside of their minds.
    That quote always cracks me up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •