Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tunnicliffderek View Post
    Grant is horrible in the slot. he is a small, speedy, injury prone, not up to par yet, outside WR. in the slot takes away what he does best and makes him more injury prone. if he ever reaches his potential he is a Stills replacement not Landry
    Fair enough; I like what he can do with the ball in his hand, and is decent on the short routes...but probably not a true "slot receiver". I don't think he's a pure "deep threat", but may not be lining up in the slot next year.

One name I forgot about is Drew Morgan on our practice squad. He was drafted as a slot receiver out of Arkansas, and has the makings to be a solid one in my opinion. He's known for his "crisp routes and sticky hands" (according to his draft profile). Re-watching some tape of his, I like his swagger and apparent toughness with the ball in his hands. I'm not saying that he'll be up there with Landry, but his tape is pretty damn good...with some reps, we may already have our next slot. Who knows?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMx3l6VmOVM
    Coming Soon...Isaac Asiata

I said Tannehill elevated his receivers because I believe he did. Wallace, Hartline, Gibson, Sims, I'd even put Clay up there. Have any of those guys even been nearly as productive as they were here? You want to say that Tannehill over threw Wallace that season but what I remember is a WR that constantly gave up on routes and dropped easy passes. Travis Wingfield on Twitter recently went through Tannehill first two seasons and you can just see how little help Tannehill got those seasons.

I know everyone loves to throw Tannehill under the bus but I've yet to see his teammates consistently perform around him for an entire season.

Welcome Back Sweet Prince

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas_Phin1 View Post
    Fair enough; I like what he can do with the ball in his hand, and is decent on the short routes...but probably not a true "slot receiver". I don't think he's a pure "deep threat", but may not be lining up in the slot next year.

One name I forgot about is Drew Morgan on our practice squad. He was drafted as a slot receiver out of Arkansas, and has the makings to be a solid one in my opinion. He's known for his "crisp routes and sticky hands" (according to his draft profile). Re-watching some tape of his, I like his swagger and apparent toughness with the ball in his hands. I'm not saying that he'll be up there with Landry, but his tape is pretty damn good...with some reps, we may already have our next slot. Who knows?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMx3l6VmOVM
    Grants mentioned this year that he felt a lot more comfortable once the team took him from the slot to the outside. That's why I've said the best way to do it is with the players we currently have is a player by committee option. Morgan had a lot of interesting moments when he first got here but completely disappeared in Camp. We obviously invested a lot of time into him so I wouldn't be surprised if he was in the plans. Replacing a slot WR isn't that difficult.

Btw I had a dream last night that we signed Allen Robinson, Trey Burton and Dion Lewis and then drafted Nelson in the first. If we somehow did this I think this offense would do a complete 180. This is an actual option if we choose to move on from Landry.

Quote Originally Posted by KodytheKing View Post
    I said Tannehill elevated his receivers because I believe he did. Wallace, Hartline, Gibson, Sims, I'd even put Clay up there. Have any of those guys even been nearly as productive as they were here? You want to say that Tannehill over threw Wallace that season but what I remember is a WR that constantly gave up on routes and dropped easy passes. Travis Wingfield on Twitter recently went through Tannehill first two seasons and you can just see how little help Tannehill got those seasons.

I know everyone loves to throw Tannehill under the bus but I've yet to see his teammates consistently perform around him for an entire season.
    I am surprised you would bring up Gibson and Sims. Sims is basically a blocking TE for Chicago playing with a developing rookie QB. Gibson played 6 seasons in the NFL and his 2 lowest yard seasons are his 2 seasons with the Dolphins. Gibson was basically a non factor with the Dolphins. Hartline with CLE started the season as their 4th WR and moved up as players got injuries. He suffered 2 injuries himself during that season including 1 that ended his season. He started his last 4 games and had 30 catches for over 300 yards and he did most of that with Johnny Manziel. If he started from day 1 like he did his first couple seasons under Tannehill he would of likely had over 1000 yards. Wallace in 2016 caught for over 1000 yards something he never did for the Dolphins. You didnt even say how Wallace had better seasons under both Big Ben and Flacco than he did under Tannehill or that Stills had better seasons under Brees and Cutler than Tannehill.

Quote Originally Posted by Plague View Post
    I am surprised you would bring up Gibson and Sims. Sims is basically a blocking TE for Chicago playing with a developing rookie QB. Gibson played 6 seasons in the NFL and his 2 lowest yard seasons are his 2 seasons with the Dolphins. Gibson was basically a non factor with the Dolphins.
    Gibson was having a good season till he blew out his knee and was never the same. Shows well if RT can make Sim look good enough for him to sign a 3 year 18M deal. That isn't "blocking" TE money.

Hartline with CLE started the season as their 4th WR and moved up as players got injuries. He suffered 2 injuries himself during that season including 1 that ended his season. He started his last 4 games and had 30 catches for over 300 yards and he did most of that with Johnny Manziel. If he started from day 1 like he did his first couple seasons under Tannehill he would of likely had over 1000 yards.
    It was on a Browns team that most likely was down big and was trying to throw to get back into it. 300 yards in 4 games is nice and all but Tannehill got 253 yards out of him in one game lol.

Wallace in 2016 caught for over 1000 yards something he never did for the Dolphins. You didnt even say how Wallace had better seasons under both Big Ben and Flacco than he did under Tannehill or that Stills had better seasons under Brees and Cutler than Tannehill.
    Wallace had one season that was better away from Tannehill and that was 10' his other ones where right on par. Either more yards but less TDs or vice versa.

I showed you Stills best season was with Tannehill before he went down and Moore can in. 6TDs on 17+ yards a catch in just 13 games is the best he has had so far.

Gibsons season pre injury was pretty much on par with his rams seasons.

I guess we will disagree with Stills having his best season because he had 6 TD's in 13 games. Stills averaged less than 3 catches a game under Tannehill. Its hard for me to believe anyone watching Dolphins games the last 3 seasons thought Stills stood out more under Tannehill than he did this season. This is the first season I felt Stills was being used as more than a straight line WR.

You have to get serious about Dion Sims. The guy caught for 256 yards under Tannehill for less than 2 catches a game and you are trying to sell me that he is a receiving TE? He caught for 180 yards under a dismal CHI QB crew. It's not like Tannehill made Sims look like a star because he caught for 80 more yards than he did with Glennon and Trubisky.

I didn't say he was a receiving TE, but he got paid to be one by what the Bears saw. He is the 18th highest paid TE. Fasano was signed to be a blocking TE and we paid him 2.8M and was the 32nd highest paid TE.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    I didn't say he was a receiving TE, but he got paid to be one by what the Bears saw. He is the 18th highest paid TE. Fasano was signed to be a blocking TE and we paid him 2.8M and was the 32nd highest paid TE.
    I think Fasano is overpaid.

You came across as disagreeing with me about Sims being a blocking TE. I don't think Tannehill deserves credit or blame for Sims getting paid. I would imagine the Bears staff watched films of Sims not just look at his numbers before signing him.

Wallace best was in Pittsburgh

Hartline was the only option we had so his numbers got inflated. similar to Marquise Goodwin, Robby Anderson, Devante Adams etc. he did play better than expected but it was more him than Tannehill

Stills is simply a better player now than what he was before Tannehill. he was still learning the position before him and actually did better minus the TDs. the target volume increased substantially with us

Gibson was never good

Sims sucks

top 5 WRs we have had with Tannhill in order
    1. Landry
    2. Wallace
    3. Stills
    4. Hartline
    5. DVP

Stills and Wallace are hard to determine in the order. part of me wants to put Wallace #2 and Stills #3 and part of me wants to put it the opposite but I think I got it right

idk why people want Dion Lewis for. its the 2nd time I have seen someone want us to sign him. he isn't worth whatever he signs for

Quote Originally Posted by Plague View Post
    Gibsons season pre injury was pretty much on par with his rams seasons.

I guess we will disagree with Stills having his best season because he had 6 TD's in 13 games. Stills averaged less than 3 catches a game under Tannehill. Its hard for me to believe anyone watching Dolphins games the last 3 seasons thought Stills stood out more under Tannehill than he did this season. This is the first season I felt Stills was being used as more than a straight line WR.

You have to get serious about Dion Sims. The guy caught for 256 yards under Tannehill for less than 2 catches a game and you are trying to sell me that he is a receiving TE? He caught for 180 yards under a dismal CHI QB crew. It's not like Tannehill made Sims look like a star because he caught for 80 more yards than he did with Glennon and Trubisky.
    I'm just going to point back to everything Wrench said. On the topic of Sims, like Wrench mentioned, he looked good enough to get the money he did. The fact that he looked that good is amazing considering how inconsistent he was.

Welcome Back Sweet Prince

I agree with all who say that Landry is not a legit, true #1 WR. He just isn't. He is the best slot WR in the NFL, hands down, but the guy is not a legit playmaker. He gobbles up short yardage catches like a vacuum, but I don't see a guy that can jump for the 50/50 balls, or burn past a corner on a deep route. If you need a 1st down, and its 2nd & 5 or 3rd & 5, he is platinum at it. But he won't get you a first down on a 1st & 10 like a true WR1 can.

I do truly love the talent Landry has, and if there was no such thing as a cap space, I'd be all for $14-15M/yr, but the fact is that this team has holes everywhere to fill, and we don't have the luxury of spending that type of money on Landry. He will not get $14M/yr out there on the market, and if some team wants to do it, good for them. I would 4 yr/$50 deal with him, but nothing more at all. I would make that our last and final offer, no further negotiating if he declines.

His agent has already lit some bridges on fire, but they're not completely burned down yet.

Quote Originally Posted by KodytheKing View Post
    I'm just going to point back to everything Wrench said. On the topic of Sims, like Wrench mentioned, he looked good enough to get the money he did. The fact that he looked that good is amazing considering how inconsistent he was.
    I think this Tannehill has made WR better is all in your guys head. Let Tannehill lead a offense in the top 20 in scoring before hyping him.

Quote Originally Posted by CeltBruinSoxFan View Post
    I agree with all who say that Landry is not a legit, true #1 WR. He just isn't. He is the best slot WR in the NFL, hands down, but the guy is not a legit playmaker. He gobbles up short yardage catches like a vacuum, but I don't see a guy that can jump for the 50/50 balls, or burn past a corner on a deep route. If you need a 1st down, and its 2nd & 5 or 3rd & 5, he is platinum at it. But he won't get you a first down on a 1st & 10 like a true WR1 can.

I do truly love the talent Landry has, and if there was no such thing as a cap space, I'd be all for $14-15M/yr, but the fact is that this team has holes everywhere to fill, and we don't have the luxury of spending that type of money on Landry. He will not get $14M/yr out there on the market, and if some team wants to do it, good for them. I would 4 yr/$50 deal with him, but nothing more at all. I would make that our last and final offer, no further negotiating if he declines.

His agent has already lit some bridges on fire, but they're not completely burned down yet.
    I'm not sure you can say he is the best slot hands down in the NFL. Doug Baldwin, Adam Thielen, Golden Tate, Larry Fitzgerald, Keenan Allen are all really good slot WRs. Plus the young guys in Cooper Kupp, JuJu Smith-Schuster showed well. Oh and don't forget Julian Edelman, lots of very good slot WRs out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    I'm not sure you can say he is the best slot hands down in the NFL. Doug Baldwin, Adam Thielen, Golden Tate, Larry Fitzgerald, Keenan Allen are all really good slot WRs. Plus the young guys in Cooper Kupp, JuJu Smith-Schuster showed well. Oh and don't forget Julian Edelman, lots of very good slot WRs out there.
    All very true.

But after everything you said . . . that is my point about not paying him $14M+ per year. There are guys that can do slot work straight out of college at a fraction of the price (granted, not at the same elite level). $12-12.5M/yr is what I would do tops for him.

I don't think we have a capable slot WR on the roster right now to replace Landry if he walks, so thats gonna be a pressing need, but i just can't fathom spending $14M/yr on a slot WR. Just can't happen for our team this year.

if you think Landry is a slot he is the best 1 hands down and is ranked as such. its not even a question

oh man that Dez Bryant for Jarvis Landry story caught my attention. wont happen but man do I wish it would

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast