Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Military Service

Did you serve? where and when? best times and worst times? advice for anyone considering enlisting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Did you serve? where and when? best times and worst times? advice for anyone considering enlisting.

Army 04-09. Special Operations community.

Best times: getting sloshed at the barracks, running missions, shamming.

Worst times: training lifestyle (We had a term for this and I forgot now), injuries, company drama, the realization you make pennies.

Advice? Way, way too broad. Going to have to narrow it down on what you want advice on.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

#Dynasty

Quote Originally Posted by europagnpilgrim View Post
    Put Iverson on this Warriors [instead of Curry] and they would be just as scary and play at even a faster pace, Iverson with those weapons getting wide open looks would be scary
    lol, Please' top 10 p4p: Golovkin/Ward/Kovalev/Fury/Lomachenko/Rigondeaux/Gonzalez/Bradley/Rungvisai

Boxing Fan? Come Discuss Boxing!

Army - Field Artillery 09-12

Best times: Wings course. I wanted to jump out of a plane ever since I was a kid and I got paid to do it. It was well worth the two weeks of ********.

Worst times: I had to get two minor leg surgeries but the recovery was a sinch. Nothing bad really happened to me while I was in but there were plenty of times weekends were taken away, b/s taskings come up, my job would get changed within the unit. At one point I almost got posted on the other side of the country on a brutal base just because I fit what they needed. Luckily for me someone requested the posting so they got it. You really had no say in your life and that really bothered me.

My honest advice for those considering enlisting. Think about it and exhaust all other options before you join. I saw lifers that had nice trucks and a family but get a few drinks in them and you hear how miserable they really are. It also seemed that the longer you were in the more you got screwed over. The whole lifestyle just wasn't for me. However, if I could go back in time I wouldn't change a thing. I joined when I was 19 and went from living with my Mom to living on my own. I was forced to grow up fast, made a ****load of mistakes and got a huge dose of reality but I'm happy with the way everything turned out. I finished every day of my contract and I have the utmost respect for every man and woman in uniform but I will not be going back.

Military Service

Quote Originally Posted by lol, please View Post
    Advice? Way, way too broad. Going to have to narrow it down on what you want advice on.

For my wife’s nephew. He is 20. Dropped out of college and has trouble keeping a job, paying bills, managing his life. Doesn’t know what to do. Seems like he’d be better off if he has no choices and learns self discipline.

Will military service help him grow up so that he can be a responsible adult? He likes the idea of being on a submarine.

Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

For my wife’s nephew. He is 20. Dropped out of college and has trouble keeping a job, paying bills, managing his life. Doesn’t know what to do. Seems like he’d be better off if he has no choices and learns self discipline.

Will military service help him grow up so that he can be a responsible adult? He likes the idea of being on a submarine.

Hmmm.

Will it? Can't say really. Can it? Absolutely.

In this case I say go for it. I was in a similar situation as he was, well, somewhere between that and the poster above. I wasn't completely irresponsible but I was an uneducated little delinquent and was going nowhere fast, and it did worlds for me. Learned discipline, the meaning of honor, loyalty, courage, and brotherhood.

You definitely grow up fast. You're exposed to tons of things and people you otherwise would not be. There's plenty of misery as well, an advantage I had at the time was I was so gung-ho about it all well before actually going in, that I embraced the suck better than most I suppose. My attitude to being smoked and crushed silly was "push me harder!".

I have both good and bad memories but I think you can say that about almost anything if you do it for long enough. Learned so much and made me the man I am today but doubt i would ever go back at this point. I'd say it's a great place to be from, no always a great place to be.

Your nephew would have housing, pay, medical, and equipment provided to him. He would just need to come in in decent shape, pay attention, and do what he's told.

Now, all that said, it might not solve all his problems. For example I went to college after and still can't manage my finances worth a crap [emoji23] six figure income and live check to check, smh.

Anyway, let me know if you have more questions, can elaborate on anything if you like.

#Dynasty

Put Iverson on this Warriors [instead of Curry] and they would be just as scary and play at even a faster pace, Iverson with those weapons getting wide open looks would be scary
    lol, Please' top 10 p4p: Golovkin/Ward/Kovalev/Fury/Lomachenko/Rigondeaux/Gonzalez/Bradley/Rungvisai

U.S Army from 02' to 08'. It was the best time of my life, 9 years later and i still am havent comformed to regular everyday life. Luckily, i have a job now that is similiar to the military.

My advice for him to pick a M.O.S that fits his skills. That was my biggest mistake and ultimately the reason i got out. And do not get married. Too many oppurtunities for you and her, thats why the divorce rate in the military is 80%.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

If you cant beat them, join them

There's no telling if the military is right for someone until they're there. Chances are it'll be unlike anything they've ever experienced so there's no way to really mentally prep somebody for the change they're about to make in their lifestyle.

Military service will almost certainly help him grow up fast but it's not so much the service as it is the boys. Problems get dealt with at the troop level. If this guy has an attitude and starts slacking or lips off to the wrong person, he'll get dealt with. If he goes and squeals to higher then he'll get dealt with at the bar. Bad attitudes either work themselves out or get completely exiled.

Keep in mind this is all combat trades. If he's gonna be a clerk, logistics, tech etc then ignore all of this. Those trades are easy going as hell and won't teach you a thing about discipline.

Served since 2005, 10 years in Active status (in various ways) and now in the Reserves.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Served since 2005, 10 years in Active status (in various ways) and now in the Reserves.
    Why stay in the reserves? Benefits? Extra money?

My pops was a Colonel in the USMC Reserve after being stationed in Japan post-Korean conflict. He had a sweet funeral when he passed: flag over the coffin, 21-gun salute, taps. I think there was a decent life insurance policy that helped us out for a while when my mom went back to school.
    I am that Daddy Cool

Why stay in the reserves? Benefits? Extra money?

My pops was a Colonel in the USMC Reserve after being stationed in Japan post-Korean conflict. He had a sweet funeral when he passed: flag over the coffin, 21-gun salute, taps. I think there was a decent life insurance policy that helped us out for a while when my mom went back to school.
    I wasn't ready to leave the service, I really do enjoy serving, of course that's because I'm a Paralegal so it's not nearly as physically demanding lol.

But my career has progressed to the point where I'm going to a board for E8 this year and am a Director of Operations for a Reserve Training Course, so I'm still doing a lot even though I'm technically in the reserves. I probably put in 10-12 hours per week of military work.

Obviously the benefits when I retire will be good, but (to my wife's chagrin) I've never really been that worried about money. I am using the Army to pay for my school though so that is another benefit.

Thanks to all of you for serving. I never could. Grew up getting yelled at and physically abused and the thought of being yelled at never worked for me. Kinda wonder if I would have liked it had I tried it, but ultimately glad I didn’t. Father in law is a Major Sgt., I hear lots of stories and see the effects.

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    Thanks to all of you for serving. I never could. Grew up getting yelled at and physically abused and the thought of being yelled at never worked for me. Kinda wonder if I would have liked it had I tried it, but ultimately glad I didn’t. Father in law is a Major Sgt., I hear lots of stories and see the effects.
    It's not for everyone, that's for sure. And it will have a lasting effect on you, especially if you deploy and/or are exposed to combat

It's different than getting yelled at or abused at home, I know from experience. My childhood wasn't extremely traumatic and that's kind of off topic but for me at least it's very different when you get yelled at by an unrelated stranger, it was easy for me to flip it into motivation and not abuse.

#Dynasty

Quote Originally Posted by lol, please View Post
    It's not for everyone, that's for sure. And it will have a lasting effect on you, especially if you deploy and/or are exposed to combat

It's different than getting yelled at or abused at home, I know from experience. My childhood wasn't extremely traumatic and that's kind of off topic but for me at least it's very different when you get yelled at by an unrelated stranger, it was easy for me to flip it into motivation and not abuse.
    A big problem I've noticed in the Army and in society in general nowadays is no one can take an *** chewing anymore. Nobody can make a mistake, get yelled at and simply go "Roger, no excuse. It won't happen again".

Everyone wants to argue, fight, or claim mistreatment.