Sun. 14 at Pittsburgh Penguins 12:30 PM ET
    Tue. 16 vs. Philadelphia Flyers 7:00 PM ET
    Thu. 18 vs. Buffalo Sabres 7:30 PM ET
    Sat. 20 at Colorado Avalanche 3:00 PM ET
    Sun. 21 at Los Angeles Kings 10:30 PM ET
    Tue. 23 at Anaheim Ducks 10:00 PM ET
    Thu. 25 at San Jose Sharks 10:30 PM ET

WJC:

Andersson had two goals, one assist and was 7 and 7 on faceoffs.
    He had three shots on goal, a plus three rating and played 17:03.
    Through three games, Andersson has four goals and one assist for Sweden.

Filip Chytil had a goal and an assist in the Czech Republic's 6-5 win over Belarus.
    He was 15 of 18 on faceoffs, had 6 shots on goal and played 17:24 overall.
    Through three games, Chytil has two goals, two assists and an average of 16:33 per game.

Extremely sloppy Winter Classic from the Rangers, but at the end of the day we got the 2 points.
    It took me a while to adjust to the different camera angles during the 1st period but I really do enjoy the outdoor games.

The early shadows were a way bigger problem then the camera angles for sure. The camera angles and broadcast presentation that is an aspect of the game they need to improve to its potential. The game is more impressive that close. I appreciate theyíre trying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 NHL Re-Draft
    Vegas Aces

New York Rangers - Atlanta Braves - New York Giants - Kobe Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by redwhiteandblue View Post
    The early shadows were a way bigger problem then the camera angles for sure. The camera angles and broadcast presentation that is an aspect of the game they need to improve to its potential. The game is more impressive that close. I appreciate theyíre trying.

looked like they switched the angles back to the usual after the 1st period. it was very uncomfortable at first and i guess they realized that.

Yeah it is what it is. Struck me odd they didnít account for it but ten years and thats the biggest issue Iíve had with the winter classic.

2016 NHL Re-Draft
    Vegas Aces

Yeah it is what it is. Struck me odd they didnít account for it but ten years and thats the biggest issue Iíve had with the winter classic.

The weather was a lot better than that USA vs canada world junior game. Thankfully the weather wasn't a factor.

Meh. Itís kind of cool IMO. You take the good with the bad. Thatís kind of Be allure if playing outdoor.

2016 NHL Re-Draft
    Vegas Aces

Meh. Itís kind of cool IMO. You take the good with the bad. Thatís kind of Be allure if playing outdoor.

Oh I love the visual of it. The USA won so it didn't have an effect on anything in the end. I just meant that the ranger vs buffalo game had good conditions not complaining about the other game. The ice was better in the outdoor game than it was at msg last night.

Looks like we lost Kreider for the year, has to have a rib removed. I wish Anderson was available to us. If it's a move I hope we look at Hoffman from Ottawa, sounds like he might be available but at what cost I don't know. With Anderson, Chytl, Day, Pionk, Deangelo in the wings I'm more inclined to include draft picks now. Would Miller and a 1st net Hoffman? I like Miller but it's increasingly apparent he can't lock down a top 6 spot on this team where Hoffman becomes our top winger right away. Maybe wed have to give more i dont know.

I donít see us going anywhere so trading for a player has got to be a long term thing. Hoffman has a 5.2 mil. per for the next 3 years. Its gonna be tough for us to fit him under our cap. We would really need to hope the cap goes up again this year and AV would actually give our rookies a fair shot because Holden, DD, and Nash may all have to be replaced by rookies (Hoffman would take Miller spot so...)

We have Miller(2.75 mil.) Hayes( 2.6 mil.) Vesey( 925k) Nieves( 925 k), Skjei(925k) (Graves and Sproul in minors) all RFA
    Nash(7.8 mil.) Grabner(1.65 mil) , Holden(1.65 mil), Pavlec( 1.3 mil)ó-all UFA.
    22.7 mil in cap space

For me the only UFA I would be interested in would be Carlson (RHD), Athenesiui (C/LW) and Mark Stone (RWótho his speed is questionable)
    Last edited by Mr.Wiskers; 01-05-2018 at 04:04 PM.

Why a lucky NHL GM may be able to win big in a Mike Hoffman trade

The Ottawa Senators have tried everything from playing loose and positive, to playing focused and serious, but still haven't found the emotion that will help them consistently win games.

@DimFilipovic
    January 5, 2018, 12:02 PM
    Weíre rapidly approaching the annual trade season, which means that we know a few things will happen:

a. People living on the West Coast will frantically wake up every morning, half expecting to pull up their Twitter feed and see that all hell has broken loose out East while they were still asleep.

b. Players on teams whose seasons havenít gone the way they wouldíve liked are fair game to be included in trade rumours, particularly if thereís a mismatch in timeline between the individualís age and the clubís readiness to win. Bonus points if the player in question is set to hit the open market in the summer.

c. Every team thatís currently positioned as a contender will be reported to be looking for top-six wingers who can provide additional scoring punch or puck-moving defencemen who can help fortify their back-end, because you can quite frankly never have enough of that in the league today.

One player who checks a bunch of those boxes is Mike Hoffman, whose name has unsurprisingly started get bandied about in trade discussions with increasing fervor of late. And itís not without reason.

Each listless loss that piles on top of a disappointing season only increases the likelihood the Senators will pull the chute and do something drastic between now and the deadline. The comments coming out of Ottawa havenít done anything to put the fire out, with speculation that part of the driving force behind any moves could be a mandate to shed salary.

f that really is the case, Hoffman is a logical candidate to move if only by process of elimination. Heís due $11.3 million over the next two years, which means heís one of a very few players on the team that would be of interest to other potential suitors despite carrying a significant price tag. For most of the other Senators who are still owed high dollar figures, theyíd either need to be strapped to draft capital/prospect sweetener or be part of a bad money swap going both ways, neither of which represent a particularly palatable alternative for Ottawa.

The issue with trading Hoffman right now is that the Sens wouldnít be doing so from a position of strength, with his stock presumably taking a hit around the league based on his numbers this season. As good of a player as he is, the stinky season has engulfed everyone in Ottawa.

Hoffmanís underlying shot metrics have actually held steady to those from years past, as the Senators have had the puck more often with him on the ice than when heís on the bench. Yet it ultimately hasnít mattered, because they havenít been able to buy even a lick of good fortune in the offensive zone.

Season Goals For Goals Against Goal Differential Shooting % Save %
    2014-2015 51 34 +17 11.00 92.53
    2015-2016 49 40 +9 10.43 92.23
    2016-2017 54 32 +22 11.36 92.69
    2017-2018 17 26 -9 6.71 89.85
    (All numbers via Corsica, and reflect on-ice totals for the Senators with Mike Hoffman on the ice at five-on-five)

Itís pretty staggering that not even at the halfway mark of the schedule, the Senators have nearly given up as many five-on-five goals against with Hoffman this season as they did all of the last.

Itís a plague his teammates can certainly commiserate with Ė their renowned defensive structure and previously reliable goaltending has completely imploded and now sits all the way down at 30th in the league in five-on-five save percentage for the year. Thatís a large reason why heís currently sporting an unseemly minus-13 on the season, and why Ottawa has been outscored when heís been on the ice for the first time after three consecutive years of being a net positive.

It hasnít been easy sledding for Hoffman and the Senators at the other end of the ice either. The team has been held off the scoresheet entirely five times in their past 14 contests, which neatly coincides with Hoffmanís personal goalless streak. Heís fired 41 shots on net during that stretch, so itís certainly not for a lack of effort, but itís just been that kind of season in Ottawa.

That drought has dragged his personal conversion rate down to seven per cent for the season, which puts him squarely in the list of the most snakebitten volume shooters. For some perspective, in Hoffmanís three full seasons in the league prior to 2017-18 he shot 11.6 per cent on 700-plus shots. During that same time the league average rate for forwards was hovering around 10.7 per cent.

So that dip this season is awfully illuminating when it comes to explaining why Hoffman is now on pace for less than 20 goals. Itís rather unusual territory for a player who, prior to this funk, had established himself as one of the most reliably productive scorers in the game:

Metric Total League Rank
    5-on-5 Goals 82 21st
    5-on-5 Points 167 40th
    5-on-5 Primary Points 139 23rd
    5-on-5 Points/Hour 2.62 30th
    5-on-5 Primary Points/Hour 2.18 15th
    These numbers encompass the three seasons spanning 2014 through 2017. They intentionally include his power play results, because he was sparsely used in that area of the game in the first year and as a result only had one PP goal. But thereís no reason to believe his shot doesnít play there, as he showed the following two years when he was 11th in total goals on the man advantage and seventh on a per hour basis.

Typically a good rule to follow in cases like this is to bet on the track record. Wacky stretches like this happen all the time. Sometimes they last for a full season and feel like theyíll never end. But eventually, barring some sort of tangible explanation for it, like a fundamental physical change or age-related decline, we know the percentages typically normalize and regress back to their usual averages.

Unless Hoffman is injured or suddenly forgot how to play hockey over the summer, when it comes to predicting future performance thereís no reason to believe that the most recent 40 games are more indicative than the 260 that preceded.

If youíre only paying for the former in a trade, but actually getting the latter, that presents a rather enticing scenario for some enterprising GM out there.
    Last edited by Mr.Wiskers; 01-05-2018 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Wiskers View Post
    I donít see us going anywhere so trading for a player has got to be a long term thing. Hoffman has a 5.2 mil. per for the next 3 years. Its gonna be tough for us to fit him under our cap. We would really need to hope the cap goes up again this year and AV would actually give our rookies a fair shot because Holden, DD, and Nash may all have to be replaced by rookies (Hoffman would take Miller spot so...)

We have Miller(2.75 mil.) Hayes( 2.6 mil.) Vesey( 925k) Nieves( 925 k), Skjei(925k) (Graves and Sproul in minors) all RFA
    Nash(7.8 mil.) Grabner(1.65 mil) , Holden(1.65 mil), Pavlec( 1.3 mil)ó-all UFA.
    22.7 mil in cap space

For me the only UFA I would be interested in would be Carlson (RHD), Athenesiui (C/LW) and Mark Stone (RWótho his speed is questionable)
    Hoffman would instantly be our best shooting winger, someone capable of getting 30 goals a year and a replacement for Nash's previous offensive numbers as well as a shooter for the one timer on the right side of the ice. I'd make room for him, if it meant losing Nash and Miller to make it work then I'm ok with that. Furthermore if Smith's salary is keeping us from a top line winger I'm moving him for anything. For a guy with Hoffman's age skill, speed and shot you make room imo. Plus as you said he's signed to what I consider a reasonable salary. Picture this on the pp.

Kreider Zibanajad Hoffman.
    Shattenkirk Zuccarello.
    I don't know that Ottawa would move him to us or if my offer would be enough, Miller and a high pick but if we want to be serious contenders in the years to come we need more high end talent.

Also...i wouldn't worry about Stones speed, I'd take him too but I doubt Ottawa let's him go.

I really like the way Vesey has played recently. Strong on the puck, going to the net hard.

Nieves as well has done some good things on the fourth line.

Also just saw a clip of Lias Anderson throwing his silver medal from the WJC into the crowd because he didnít want a reminder of second place. Gotta love that.

The future for this young team looks bright I think.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast