Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Raiders hire Jon Gruden as the next coach of the Raiders

Multiple sources have confirmed to the Las Vegas Raiders Report tonight that Oakland Raiders owner Mark Davis has discussed the possibility of Jon Gruden interviewing for the head coaching job during an alleged meeting last week in Philadelphia. Gruden and Davis met informally prior to the Raiders and Eagles meeting on Monday Night Football on Christmas Day – a game Gruden called on ESPN as television analyst.

Gruden coached the Raiders from 1998-2000 compiling a 40-28 record, leading Oakland to one AFC Championship game in 2000.

Jon Gruden Oakland Raiders Las Vegas Raiders Report
    Could “Chucky” be back on the sidelines for Oakland? Sources say it’s now more possible than ever before.

Our sources confirmed Davis is willing to pony up the type of money Gruden is looking for, but still not the control. An agreement, if Gruden was selected after interviews with other candidates, hinges on a few items Gruden is demanding as part of a return to coaching. That includes control over player personnel and general manager duties, which Davis is not ready to relinquish. Davis is known to have the utmost faith and confidence in current Raiders GM Reggie McKenzie, who has been part of the cultural makeover and team turnaround in Oakland the past several seasons.

However, Davis has assured Gruden that, if selected, he would have input on personnel decisions and that McKenzie is perfectly willing to work with him on those issues. Another feeling is that Gruden, and his level of celebrity and personality, could be instrumental in selling PSLs for the new stadium in Las Vegas. The Raiders are hoping to sell at least $250 million dollars worth of PSLs, and Gruden is viewed as the perfect “face” to sell football in Las Vegas.

This is not the first time Davis has flirted with Gruden either. Before Jack Del Rio became the head coach in Oakland, word on the street was that Gruden was offered and turned down the job first. Gruden was content with this television gig and wanted more money and control than Davis was willing to give. Fast forward three years and it appears times have changed.

Gruden is often rumored to be returning to the sideline every since he took on the role as a Monday Night Football analyst. Over the years, these “Grumors” have never come to fruition and are typically dismissed as chasing a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. This time, however, the story has some teeth, according to our sources.

If the Raiders were to make a change at head coach, per the NFL’s “Rooney Rule,” they are required to interview minority candidates for the role in addition to anyone else, including Gruden.

What changed?
    Davis has apparently lost trust in Del Rio due to his handling of the team’s struggles in 2017, including the management of offensive coordinator Todd Downing. Although there have been rumors of Del Rio not returning, his departure – and Gruden retaking the Raiders helm as coach – are not a lock yet.

Reports from sources close to the situation assert Davis was lied to about the firing of former offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave, and the corresponding promotion of Downing to that position. Davis was lobbied heavily that there was serious interest in Downing from other NFL teams to take that role in other locales during last off season. Del Rio and several of his staff sold Davis on the premise the only way to keep Downing was to offer him the Raiders coordinator job. That led to Musgraves ouster and the ascension of the inexperienced Downing, with the results we’ve seen in 2017.

However, apparently that interest was not real. Additionally, it was current Assistant Head Coach of the Offense Mike Tice, who was behind this exaggeration. Tice and Musgrave clashed over the offense in the 2016 season and it appears that Tice was willing to do anything to get Musgrave out and his protege in. Tice gave Downing his first NFL job in Minnesota, and championed his hiring in Oakland. Tice also had widely known and reported issues while with the Minnesota Vikings, leading to Davis’ feelings of mistrust.

Far From a “Done Deal”
    In addition to the points made above, and the NFL requirement of teams interviewing head coaching candidates, what are the possibilities of Gruden actually becoming the Raiders coach as early as next week?

We’re told there two probable possibilities:

Gruden takes the job after formal interviews with him and other qualified candidates, or
    The Raiders will bring back Del Rio, minus the current offensive coaching staff and a new offensive coordinator will be hired and allowed to hire their own offensive staff – from top to bottom.
    For now the ball is squarely in Jon Gruden’s court.

Also there is no word yet on the possible fate of interim Defensive Coordinator John Pagano. Pagano has been a bright spot during a tough year and the Raiders defense has been ranked top five since he took the reins of the defense.
    Last edited by HunterNRoss; 01-09-2018 at 10:07 PM.
    "Don't worry about the horses being blind.......just load the wagon!"
    ~~John Madden

Quote Originally Posted by RaiderIke37 View Post
    Multiple sources have confirmed to the Las Vegas Raiders Report tonight that Oakland Raiders owner Mark Davis has discussed the possibility of Jon Gruden interviewing for the head coaching job during an alleged meeting last week in Philadelphia. Gruden and Davis met informally prior to the Raiders and Eagles meeting on Monday Night Football on Christmas Day – a game Gruden called on ESPN as television analyst.

Gruden coached the Raiders from 1998-2000 compiling a 40-28 record, leading Oakland to one AFC Championship game in 2000.

Jon Gruden Oakland Raiders Las Vegas Raiders Report
    Could “Chucky” be back on the sidelines for Oakland? Sources say it’s now more possible than ever before.

Our sources confirmed Davis is willing to pony up the type of money Gruden is looking for, but still not the control. An agreement, if Gruden was selected after interviews with other candidates, hinges on a few items Gruden is demanding as part of a return to coaching. That includes control over player personnel and general manager duties, which Davis is not ready to relinquish. Davis is known to have the utmost faith and confidence in current Raiders GM Reggie McKenzie, who has been part of the cultural makeover and team turnaround in Oakland the past several seasons.

However, Davis has assured Gruden that, if selected, he would have input on personnel decisions and that McKenzie is perfectly willing to work with him on those issues. Another feeling is that Gruden, and his level of celebrity and personality, could be instrumental in selling PSLs for the new stadium in Las Vegas. The Raiders are hoping to sell at least $250 million dollars worth of PSLs, and Gruden is viewed as the perfect “face” to sell football in Las Vegas.

This is not the first time Davis has flirted with Gruden either. Before Jack Del Rio became the head coach in Oakland, word on the street was that Gruden was offered and turned down the job first. Gruden was content with this television gig and wanted more money and control than Davis was willing to give. Fast forward three years and it appears times have changed.

Gruden is often rumored to be returning to the sideline every since he took on the role as a Monday Night Football analyst. Over the years, these “Grumors” have never come to fruition and are typically dismissed as chasing a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. This time, however, the story has some teeth, according to our sources.

If the Raiders were to make a change at head coach, per the NFL’s “Rooney Rule,” they are required to interview minority candidates for the role in addition to anyone else, including Gruden.

What changed?
    Davis has apparently lost trust in Del Rio due to his handling of the team’s struggles in 2017, including the management of offensive coordinator Todd Downing. Although there have been rumors of Del Rio not returning, his departure – and Gruden retaking the Raiders helm as coach – are not a lock yet.

Reports from sources close to the situation assert Davis was lied to about the firing of former offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave, and the corresponding promotion of Downing to that position. Davis was lobbied heavily that there was serious interest in Downing from other NFL teams to take that role in other locales during last off season. Del Rio and several of his staff sold Davis on the premise the only way to keep Downing was to offer him the Raiders coordinator job. That led to Musgraves ouster and the ascension of the inexperienced Downing, with the results we’ve seen in 2017.

However, apparently that interest was not real. Additionally, it was current Assistant Head Coach of the Offense Mike Tice, who was behind this exaggeration. Tice and Musgrave clashed over the offense in the 2016 season and it appears that Tice was willing to do anything to get Musgrave out and his protege in. Tice gave Downing his first NFL job in Minnesota, and championed his hiring in Oakland. Tice also had widely known and reported issues while with the Minnesota Vikings, leading to Davis’ feelings of mistrust.

Far From a “Done Deal”
    In addition to the points made above, and the NFL requirement of teams interviewing head coaching candidates, what are the possibilities of Gruden actually becoming the Raiders coach as early as next week?

We’re told there two probable possibilities:

Gruden takes the job after formal interviews with him and other qualified candidates, or
    The Raiders will bring back Del Rio, minus the current offensive coaching staff and a new offensive coordinator will be hired and allowed to hire their own offensive staff – from top to bottom.
    For now the ball is squarely in Jon Gruden’s court.

Also there is no word yet on the possible fate of interim Defensive Coordinator John Pagano. Pagano has been a bright spot during a tough year and the Raiders defense has been ranked top five since he took the reins of the defense.

Hope it’s true. Then hire vic Vangio or Rex Ryan as dc. THAT would be a staff

Holy **** what a story. Not sure I like the idea of Gruden having personnel control. That dude was so sold on Manziel that it was disgusting
    Official Kevin King Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Raidaz4Life View Post
    Holy **** what a story. Not sure I like the idea of Gruden having personnel control. That dude was so sold on Manziel that it was disgusting
    Personnel control was his downfall in Tampa. Gruden is a great coach but not sure I trust him personnel decisions long term.

Never Forget

As long as he isn’t shopping for the groceries, sure. Why not? He’s better than Del Rio. However, the scouting department also needs upgrading.

-Stork

Regardless who Davis hires, this is a clear message that JDR may get axed this year. Just the fact that he's speaking to other people is evidence that it's coming. Getterdone!!!!

I want Gruden but I also want to keep RM. I like them both and hope they can work together.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

LV news is trying to build some hype, I'll perk up about this when I hear it from some better sources.

After all, it was the LV sports writer that used "Downing" and "Bright" in the same article...
    "..When you have great coaches, then after you have great coaches you get great players, you have a great organization, and you tell them one thing-

Just win baby"

~ Al Davis ~

Quote Originally Posted by corralski View Post
    LV news is trying to build some hype, I'll perk up about this when I hear it from some better sources.

After all, it was the LV sports writer that used "Downing" and "Bright" in the same article...
    You do realize that the LV sports reporter was quoting Del Rio in that article right? Del Rio called Downing bright it wasn't the reporter calling him bright, matter of fact Del Rio called Downing super-bright.
    All aboard the Josey Jewell & Josh Jackson train.

krsonekth

Quote Originally Posted by corralski View Post

The Writer of the article is Scott Winter. He is actually credentialed by the NFL and the Raiders. He does actually have sources. Isnt as big of a name as Vic, Levi, among others but does have knowledge of whats going on.

Never Forget

Quote Originally Posted by HunterNRoss View Post
    The Writer of the article is Scott Winter. He is actually credentialed by the NFL and the Raiders. He does actually have sources. Isnt as big of a name as Vic, Levi, among others but does have knowledge of whats going on.
    Story actually makes sense at last. I’m certain what happened this season will leak out eventually and this could be starting now

I don’t believe this anymore than every other yearly Gruden rumor.

I don’t discredit the article, writer, rumor, to some extent, or interest. But I’m not putting any eggs in that basket.

If it happens, then I’ll believe in it.

Quote Originally Posted by BoKnowsRaiders View Post

I don’t discredit the article, writer, rumor, to some extent, or interest. But I’m not putting any eggs in that basket.

They are officially referred to as Grumors, lol.
    All aboard the Josey Jewell & Josh Jackson train.

krsonekth

Raiders get blown out tomorrow and the entire coaching staff will get the pink slip come monday. Part of me wants to eliminate the sparklers from the playoffs, the other wants Jack to get fired by losing again.

Quote Originally Posted by BoKnowsRaiders View Post

This

Gruden makes $6.5m a year doing tv. I doubt any team pays him more for a much more hectic position.

This is just another annual Gruden rumor.. happens every year.

Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast