Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 99

Thread: Iran Protests

  1. #46
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    right here
    Posts
    18,057
    Quote Originally Posted by benny01 View Post
    Have they accused the president of founding ISIS? Have they accused him of being born out of the country or of being a Muslim? Have they pointed to a terrorist fist bump to support their theory?

    They are talking about Diet Coke and box trucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    See even you admit the comparison is apples to oranges. Trump accuses Clinton and Obama of being the literal founders of ISIS and CNN says that Trump eats too much McDonalds and Coke. Those are not even close to the same thing.
    you are right, they're not close. CNN is significantly worse, because diet coke and paparazzi shots of Trump golfing are not even related to politics. even things related to politics that turned out to be false came from somewhere. they weren't stupidity pulled out of nowhere.






    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    That's because nobody really ever mentioned CNN. Ironically, Trump (and conservatives everywhere) whining and moaning about CNN has given them more publicity than they've had in a long time.
    and CNN's ratings have continued to decline.

    CNN even tried to counter the fake news accusations against them by coming up with some stupid commercial showing an apple and saying people will try and tell you that it's a banana.
    everything that has been done/said against CNN is their own fault.







    http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2018/...from-left.html

    Women are leading in Iran. Where is their voice of support from the left?
    The most striking images coming out of the Iran human rights protests are not of men – they are of women. And while American media was slow and even hesitant to pick up that anything at all was actually happening – this, while protests ignited for what is now six full days around Iran, nine years after the Green Movement protests began – Twitter was flooded with videos and photos on the ground, in defiance of the Iranian regime’s social media policy.

    Almost none was more striking than a young Iranian woman standing atop a container and shedding her hijab – a garment mandated and enforced upon her and all women in Iran – while simultaneously waving it as a flag. It was an act of defiance much like that of the Iranian chess champion Dorsa Derakhshani, who was expelled from competition in Iran for refusing to wear a headscarf in competition.

    There were unconfirmed reports that the unidentified girl was taken into custody and the spot where she stood had become a makeshift shrine, but because of the scattering of information on the ground there’s no way to confirm that.

    Nevertheless, she became an immediate symbol for the growing movement now in its fifth full day. Twitter avatars were changed to an illustration capturing the moment. The drawing was spread on Facebook. But she wasn’t the only one.

    Another video spread on social media shows a woman confronting security forces and proclaiming “Death to Khamenei” while crowds around her join in.

    Mind you, this wasn’t inauguration protests from January of last year with celebrity activists screaming freely into microphones about how much they’ve thought about blowing up the White House. This was a woman endangering her life and possibly the lives of her loved ones to stand up to government forces of a hardline Islamic theocracy. She was risking death. And yet, nevertheless, she persisted.

    Another woman was seen on tape declaring "You raised your fists and ruined our lives. Now we raise our fists. Be men, join us. I as a woman will stand in front and protect you. Come represent your country.”

    Another image that managed to make its way into some mainstream coverage shows a young woman – reported to be a student – covering her face as she runs from tear gas just outside the University of Tehran, her fist raised defiantly in the air. She was a symbol of a growing secular youth movement merging with thousands of others protesting the regime’s involvement with Hezbollah, Hamas and Syria.

    And as the protests entered their fifth night, another striking video on Twitter shows a woman demanding fair wages and an end to regime attempts to silence them. Women reportedly led protests in the city of Isfahan.

    Every one of these searing images are of women. Women are the predominant face of this blossoming revolution. Women are risking the most to speak out against the Iranian Mullahs. So the question must be asked: Where are the women’s movement supporters in the United States and Europe, which gathered en masse to protest a newly inaugurated American president last year?

    More specifically, empowered by the cultural muscle of #MeToo celebrity leaders and Women’s March organizers such as Linda Sarsour: Why are you silent? If these nameless women can speak out in the face of true tyranny, risking actual imprisonment and death, why can’t you?

    Iranian women are not adorning pink knitted hats, or costumes resembling female genitalia. They won’t be attending award shows. They aren’t wearing red cloaks and bonnets inspired by their favorite Netflix show. No, these brave women are caught on videotape and in photographs for the world to see, and the women’s movements have yet to barely offer so much as a tweet or a Facebook post of support. The official Women’s March Twitter account has tweeted exactly zero times in support of women protesting in Iran. Zero.

    Among such “women’s” leaders as Tamika Mallory, Carmen Perez, Janaye Ingram and Linda Sarsour, only one tweet has been offered at all about the protests, and that came from Sarsour and had nothing to do with the women at all, but President Trump. “Is it just me or is Trump praising Iranian protesters AND at the same time also banned Iranians from entering the USA?”

    What seems to be lost on Ms. Sarsour is that these women are currently risking their lives and protesting – not for the right to come to the United States – but for the rights to live and thrive in their own country.

    I do sympathize with Sarsour and the women’s movement of the political left and their sudden predicament with supporting these brave women. Women in Iran are shedding their hijabs while progressive women’s movements in the United States try to hold them up as a symbol of empowerment and feminism – going so far as Shepard Fairey-esque illustrations attempting to mainstream the hijab into pop culture.

    What’s empowering about the hijab is the choice to don one. Muslim women in the United States have that choice. Women in Iran do not. If these pro-women groups are all about choice for deprived women around the globe, now would be a good time to speak up on behalf of them.

    Women in Iran are standing in defiance of the regime’s financial support of Hezbollah and Hamas rather than fair wages and human rights. But for progressive women’s groups to oppose Hamas in the face of these protests, it would mean abandoning months of pro-Palestinian support, capped off last week when pop singer Lorde cancelled her Tel Aviv show.

    Sarsour, as a self-professed leading advocate for Muslim women in the United States and around the world, should be asked to clarify her position by journalists who are all too eager to present her with awards and speaking gigs: Does she support the women of Iran or the hardline theocracy that is currently brutalizing them?

    Remaining silent in the face of this growing movement is another black eye for Sarsour in particular, who is facing charges of ignoring complaints of sexual abuse while she was director of the Arab American Association.

    Of the prominent supporters for progressive women’s movements in Congress, only Bernie Sanders has offered measurable support for the protestors, tweeting, “It is the right of all people to speak out against their government. The government of Iran should respect this right and heed the voices of thousands of Iranians who are demonstrating across the country for better opportunities and a better future.” Not hard stuff.

    Chuck Schumer found time to tweet out support of the New York Giants football team keeping quarterback Eli Manning, but not for the women now splashed across news services worldwide.

    Senators Elizabeth Warren, Kamala Harris and Kirsten Gillibrand – leading progressive women’s rights advocates all – have not only not released statements in support of these women, they’ve said nothing in support of the protests at all. Not a press release. Not a tweet. Nothing.

    Hillary Clinton has not offered support of the women beyond a tweet stating she hopes “their government responds peacefully and supports their hopes.” Hate to break it to the onetime self-declared ceiling breaker, but the government is very much not responding peacefully nor are they supporting their hopes. They are, indeed, emboldened financially by an Iran Nuclear deal she herself claimed partial credit for.

    Powerful women in entertainment have never been hesitant to raise their voices and organize in support of their personal beliefs. And today, because of the #MeToo wave, they have never been more influential in politics or culture. Yet they remain silent. First Lady Melania Trump and Ivanka Trump could also certainly publicly show support, but would the left then just simply write off joining them?

    Political support for the women of Iran would of course contradict the careful echo chamber narrative Democrat politicians spent months crafting in support of President Obama’s nuclear deal with Iran – which is in fact a major reason for the uprising happening now. The Mullahs squandered most of their financial windfall from the Iran deal on support for terror groups such as the Assad regime, Hezbollah and Hamas after promising to invest it in the people at home. The people of Iran have had enough of these empty promises.

    More importantly, the women of Iran have had enough and are leading the way, with or without public support from the self-declared women’s groups on the left around the world, who have decided they are the public voice of resistance for women – except in places where a collective voice of support could actually help women the most. Their ideas of empowerment apparently stop where their politics start.

    Despite a world attempting to rationalize looking away, a solitary woman stood up in defiance of the rule of law, risked her life and removed her head scarf. She did this at the risk of arrest, or death. She did this without public support from women’s groups who claim their entire existence is to support this very act of defiance. While they remain silent, I’m with her.

    the anti-Trump movement seems to be getting dumber

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    705
    We don't know shite about what's really happening in Iran, so this thread is moot

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    78,909
    Wait things that are lies are NOT significantly worse than things that are inane and stupid? We’re going to have to agree to disagree on that.

    Trump lied and said that Obama founded ISIS. CNN reported stupid bull**** about Trump eating too much McDonalds and drinking too much Coke. That’s true. But it’s goddamned stupid and isn’t at all relevant.

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    21,301
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialFNK View Post
    and CNN's ratings have continued to decline.

    CNN even tried to counter the fake news accusations against them by coming up with some stupid commercial showing an apple and saying people will try and tell you that it's a banana.
    everything that has been done/said against CNN is their own fault.
    What on earth are you talking about?

    http://deadline.com/2017/12/fox-news...17-1202230070/

    For CNN, 2017 was its highest rated on record in total day. Here, CNN ranks No. 5 among basic cable networks, with an average of 783K viewers – CNN’s first time in the Top 10 since 1995. In primetime, CNN ranked No. 10 among cable nets with an average of 1.062M.

    Among CNN’s bright spots, Anderson Cooper 360 (1.238M viewers, 425K demo viewers) was the net’s most watched primetime series, marking its best numbers on record.

    I did see this Daily Caller article claiming CNN had a terrible year, and I'm assuming you got your view from either that or other right wing propaganda:

    http://press.foxnews.com/2017/12/fox...secutive-year/

    The reality is, even in Fox News article, they note that although CNN had a drop in primetime viewership, their overall viewership actually went up:

    http://press.foxnews.com/2017/12/fox...secutive-year/

    Total Day:

    FNC: 1,501,000 P2+ (up 8%); 320,000 A25-54 (up 14%)

    CNN: 779,000 P2+ (up 3%); 256,000 A25-54 (up 10%)

    MSNBC: 889,000 P2+ (up 47%); 203,000 A25-54 (up 33%)





    Sorry, you fell for fake news.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    20,604
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialFNK View Post
    stupidity pulled out of nowhere.
    lol, is this a fox news slogan?

  6. #51
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    right here
    Posts
    18,057
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Wait things that are lies are NOT significantly worse than things that are inane and stupid? We’re going to have to agree to disagree on that.

    Trump lied and said that Obama founded ISIS. CNN reported stupid bull**** about Trump eating too much McDonalds and drinking too much Coke. That’s true. But it’s goddamned stupid and isn’t at all relevant.
    things that turned out to be false were not completely pulled out of thin air. they came from things people could point to as in this information came from here. these things had a political connection.
    there is no political connection to Trump drinking diet coke. that is a stupid story that literally nobody should give a damn about. it's a waste of air time when there is so much other news to cover.







    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    What on earth are you talking about?

    http://deadline.com/2017/12/fox-news...17-1202230070/

    For CNN, 2017 was its highest rated on record in total day. Here, CNN ranks No. 5 among basic cable networks, with an average of 783K viewers – CNN’s first time in the Top 10 since 1995. In primetime, CNN ranked No. 10 among cable nets with an average of 1.062M.

    Among CNN’s bright spots, Anderson Cooper 360 (1.238M viewers, 425K demo viewers) was the net’s most watched primetime series, marking its best numbers on record.

    I did see this Daily Caller article claiming CNN had a terrible year, and I'm assuming you got your view from either that or other right wing propaganda:

    http://press.foxnews.com/2017/12/fox...secutive-year/

    The reality is, even in Fox News article, they note that although CNN had a drop in primetime viewership, their overall viewership actually went up:

    http://press.foxnews.com/2017/12/fox...secutive-year/

    Total Day:

    FNC: 1,501,000 P2+ (up 8%); 320,000 A25-54 (up 14%)

    CNN: 779,000 P2+ (up 3%); 256,000 A25-54 (up 10%)

    MSNBC: 889,000 P2+ (up 47%); 203,000 A25-54 (up 33%)





    Sorry, you fell for fake news.

    good article, but why did you leave this part out.

    Primetime:

    FNC: 2,421,000 P2+ (flat); 486,000 A25-54 (up 1%)

    CNN: 1,055,000 P2+ (down 16%); 369,000 A25-54 (down 13%)
    I will say thank you for the the very link that I had read, that was mostly about Fox being #1 for the 2nd consecutive year.

    FOX News Channel (FNC) marked its second consecutive year as the most-watched basic cable network in primetime and total day in total viewers





    http://insider.foxnews.com/2018/01/0...pport-protests

    omi Lahren: Unlike Obama, Pres. Trump Is 'Bold Enough' to Support Iranian Protests
    See what's going on in Iran right now? More importantly, do you see how our president is responding? Unlike his predecessor, President Trump is bold enough to support the protesters. And you'd think the whiny little snowflakes in this country would be all for it.

    But don't hold your breath. The last year has proven that if Trump does it, they hate it. Turns out the great American leftist "resistance" movement only seems to support protesting if it's anti-Trump, or anti-American values. Go figure.

    See, the protesters in Iran, unlike our own fragile social justice warriors, are actually rising up for more rights, more freedom, more free speech, and more information. President Trump gets it, and supports it.

    If Barack Obama had understood and supported that notion, maybe things would be different - and better - already. Don't forget, it was President Obama and his team that wouldn't fully support the Green Movement back in 2009. In true Obama fashion, he led from behind, tiptoed around the oppressive regime, cut deals under the table, and sent Iran a plane full of cash.

    Yeah, don't forget, it was the Obama Administration that gave the $400 million planeload to the same Iranian regime that shoots its citizens, and suppresses human rights.

    Now, why would President Obama do that? He was kissing up to Iranian leaders like … I don't know … Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, who is famous for encouraging the slogan "Death to America."

    Now, why did Obama want to curry favor with Iran? Oh, yeah, to push the nuclear deal through as quickly as possible, before the American people and our allies had time to fully understand how bad it actually was. President Obama and lackeys like former deputy national security adviser Ben Rhodes - remember him - the one who famously boasted about duping starry-eyed journalists? Yeah, their puppet strings played us the whole time.

    Flash forward to Iran today. Now, President Trump must clean up the mess - like he's had to do with President Obama's other "diplomatic" endeavors.

    Oh, and by the way, where is the almighty U.N. in all of this? Awfully vocal against Israel and Jerusalem, but quiet when it comes to actual human rights abuses. Typical.

    Enough is enough. Why are we rewarding Iran for mountains of human rights violations? Why are we giving them any relief whatsoever? Where do you think that money has gone, and is going? Remember that slogan, "Death to America?" Yeah, that's where it's going.

    ISIS might be on its heels, but Iran is up to bat, and how we deal with them will set the tone for years to come. Obama failed the Iranian people, and gave the regime a "get out of jail free, go build nukes" card.

    Look, it's not easy to turn an eight-year American apology tour back to an American butt-kicking tradition. But our president is working on it, and in 2018, he will get it done.

    whatever Trump says/supports, those on the left including Liberal media feel as if they have to be on the opposite side.

    the anti-Trump movement seems to be getting dumber

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    78,909
    If Fox had any competition, those numbers wouldn't look like that. There is only one conservative news outlet. There are plenty of left and center news outlets that eat into the 50% of the market that wants that. Could a center-right news network even survive? I don't think so.
    Think long and hard about why you respond to nonsense. Please!

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Where the smog meets the shore
    Posts
    41,783
    Love that Trump is claiming to support these protests (a country on his ban list) while his justice department prosecutes protesters here in the US. What a ****ing joke.

    US govt, regardless of the controlling party, never cares about the rights and welfare of people in these countries unless they’re revolting against leadership that we don’t like.


    And what’s worse is everyone in the West suddenly becoming armchair experts of Iranian politics. Blah


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    21,301
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialFNK View Post
    good article, but why did you leave this part out.

    I will say thank you for the the very link that I had read, that was mostly about Fox being #1 for the 2nd consecutive year.
    I didn't:

    The reality is, even in Fox News article, they note that although CNN had a drop in primetime viewership, their overall viewership actually went up


    And good for Fox News, but that wasn't what you were talking about. You said CNN's ratings have continued to decline. Their actual ratings are up.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Where the smog meets the shore
    Posts
    41,783
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialFNK View Post

    whatever Trump says/supports, those on the left including Liberal media feel as if they have to be on the opposite side.
    Well if that ain't the pot calling the kettle black....

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pittsbruh
    Posts
    69,059
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    Love that Trump is claiming to support these protests (a country on his ban list) while his justice department prosecutes protesters here in the US. What a ****ing joke.

    US govt, regardless of the controlling party, never cares about the rights and welfare of people in these countries unless they’re revolting against leadership that we don’t like.


    And what’s worse is everyone in the West suddenly becoming armchair experts of Iranian politics. Blah
    All of this.

    I just wanted to come in and vent real quick because I just was talking to someone about this, and it's kinda similar to what's being said here. It's not directed at anyone.

    Any single supporter of Trump that tries to paint any of Trump's actions or words as good will can get bent. There's never been any reason to give that benefit of the doubt to any of the presidents of our lifetimes, and there's even less reason to do that same thing with Trump. Both he and the general population don't give a single solitary **** about the people of Iran just like they couldn't care less about the average person in Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, Yemen, Palestine, etc. Hell, check all the imperialistic havoc we've wreaked all over this hellscape of a planet and you'll see the same thing.

    It's what happens when you label entire countries "axis of evils" and the American public jumps on board like ravenous dogs. The majority no longer see the people of Iran as innocent people. Trump (or probably honestly more specifically his stooge generals), based on the entirety of his actions and words before this, certainly doesn't either.

    I don't want to hear people spouting off about the goodness of our foreign policy. Almost none of it is driven by any compassionate or truly good-faith motive. That's not why we've ever "world policed".

    I know squat about Iran so I won't pretend to have thoughts on end games here but I just hope we have no part in it whatever it may be. Be it war, a forced regime-change, sanctioning the country so that the poor suffer the most...none of it. I hope the protesters find all the success in the world, I just hope we aren't the ones to prop up a more Western-friendly right-wing leader like we always do. Because that **** don't work.
    this my sig

  12. #57
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    right here
    Posts
    18,057
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    I didn't:

    The reality is, even in Fox News article, they note that although CNN had a drop in primetime viewership, their overall viewership actually went up


    And good for Fox News, but that wasn't what you were talking about. You said CNN's ratings have continued to decline. Their actual ratings are up.
    the numbers I posted were not in your post.

    CNN: 1,055,000 P2+ (down 16%); 369,000 A25-54 (down 13%)
    "down" would be a decline.

    the anti-Trump movement seems to be getting dumber

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    383
    I don't think you know how ratings work.

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    21,301
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialFNK View Post
    the numbers I posted were not in your post.

    "down" would be a decline.
    They weren't, but I addressed them by saying:

    although CNN had a drop in primetime viewership

    The numbers are:


    Primetime:

    FNC: 2,421,000 P2+ (flat); 486,000 A25-54 (up 1%)

    CNN: 1,055,000 P2+ (down 16%); 369,000 A25-54 (down 13%)


    drop is a synonym for down.

    Stop, just stop. You were wrong. CNN's ratings actually went up overall on the year (as I showed). You made a BS claim that you got from Dailycaller or alt-right magazine or wherever you got it and I called you on it.

    Now you're trying to confuse the issue.

    Bottom line: Are CNN's overall viewership ratings up or down?

    Answer:

    CNN: 779,000 P2+ (up 3%); 256,000 A25-54 (up 10%)

    Which makes this statement from you:

    and CNN's ratings have continued to decline.


    Wrong.

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Where the smog meets the shore
    Posts
    41,783
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRam View Post
    All of this.

    I just wanted to come in and vent real quick because I just was talking to someone about this, and it's kinda similar to what's being said here. It's not directed at anyone.

    Any single supporter of Trump that tries to paint any of Trump's actions or words as good will can get bent. There's never been any reason to give that benefit of the doubt to any of the presidents of our lifetimes, and there's even less reason to do that same thing with Trump. Both he and the general population don't give a single solitary **** about the people of Iran just like they couldn't care less about the average person in Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, Yemen, Palestine, etc. Hell, check all the imperialistic havoc we've wreaked all over this hellscape of a planet and you'll see the same thing.

    It's what happens when you label entire countries "axis of evils" and the American public jumps on board like ravenous dogs. The majority no longer see the people of Iran as innocent people. Trump (or probably honestly more specifically his stooge generals), based on the entirety of his actions and words before this, certainly doesn't either.

    I don't want to hear people spouting off about the goodness of our foreign policy. Almost none of it is driven by any compassionate or truly good-faith motive. That's not why we've ever "world policed".

    I know squat about Iran so I won't pretend to have thoughts on end games here but I just hope we have no part in it whatever it may be. Be it war, a forced regime-change, sanctioning the country so that the poor suffer the most...none of it. I hope the protesters find all the success in the world, I just hope we aren't the ones to prop up a more Western-friendly right-wing leader like we always do. Because that **** don't work.
    Agreed. It's all a global business. If the Saudis didn't have oil, we wouldn't ever step foot on their land. They'd be no different than Africa (human rights wars with religious ties and no support from us since we can't make enough profit off resources from it).

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •