Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Norman Powell

hell nah I'd rather have Powell and just hope he eventually "gets it". I agree with what someone said earlier in that we might have overrated him. It's easy for fans to do that with 2nd round picks that are supposed to be nothing in the NBA.

I actually kinda wish we had Ross' game with the offense we run. But not for Powell.

He spent the first 24 months of his career focusing on his shooting and defense - letting his drives come naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ:32070918
    I actually kinda wish we had Ross' game with the offense we run. But not for Powell.
    Yeah Ross' game is much better suited for what the team is doing now.
    “It’s about winning,” Stoudemire said. “You win, you’re going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won — Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you don’t win, nobody really wants to see you.”

How does a human even jump that high in the second dunk. And the dunk on Giannis and maker gave me chills.

I wasn't that high of norm. Except for maybe the occasional outburst, like his play, I've been far cooler on his upside. He tends to make plays with his head down, and that hurts him in the eyes of the coach. Adding internal pressure from the guys on the bench behind him who are all growing as players too, and he no longer has the leash he once had.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly Guy View Post
    I wasn't that high of norm. Except for maybe the occasional outburst, like his play, I've been far cooler on his upside. He tends to make plays with his head down, and that hurts him in the eyes of the coach. Adding internal pressure from the guys on the bench behind him who are all growing as players too, and he no longer has the leash he once had.
    I second this. when everyone was calling to trade derozan and hand powell the keys it was laughable. I still say his absolute ceiling is a shorter Mo Pete, but even that is everything breaking just right and him refining his game a bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    I second this. when everyone was calling to trade derozan and hand powell the keys it was laughable. I still say his absolute ceiling is a shorter Mo Pete, but even that is everything breaking just right and him refining his game a bunch.
    You only need to scroll down a couple of threads to the one where he was signed to an extension. The expectations and excitement were definitely too high.

Quote Originally Posted by pulzar View Post
    You only need to scroll down a couple of threads to the one where he was signed to an extension. The expectations and excitement were definitely too high.
    This is very true. And I include myself in that.

I don't think we over rated norman powel too much.. with lowry and derozan taking all the shots and minutes I think he would of developed a lot better and faster. but then again, who knows he could of beena bust lol. he's still very young people got to remember how derozan looked in his early year he developed at a similiar pace but then he actually had the keys to the team, lol. oh well take my post with a grain of salt, i'm not the biggest powel fan, but I do believe he is a good player for us, lol.

edit: ona side note my thread in the nba forum is nothing but fire

If you refer back to the extension thread you will see me trying to temper expectations on his ceilng there as well.

Damn... im one smart and consistent motha****a.

I mean, on the surface, you've got a 6'4" guy with the mentality of a shooting guard. He's not rangey-long at that position, so he's already behind the game against a large number of starters and bench players in the NBA. It makes it harder for him to be a starter unless he's absolutely elite at something, like scoring, steals, deep shooting, or whatever and he's not. He's just 'pretty good'.

Don't get me wrong, he's had his moments, where he's exploded, but at 6'4" to be effective in the NBA these days, I think he's gotta be playing PG. And I'm nowhere near confident in his decision making to be that. If he's not about to switch positions, I see the most success for him as a lou williams (when he played for us) kind-of role. Where he has the freedom to play a bit of iso ball against bench level (and more importantly bench sized) opponents. Unfortunately, the Raptors' bench is pretty much a complete unit, and with the emphasis on ball movement, well, it lands him with the DNP-CDs.

I think he's gonna prove to be a bad contract, but it's not a big one, so it's not that upsetting, nor handicapping to the future. Plus, I mean, he's the kind of guy who plays with a chip on his shoulder and we've all seen him explode. So maybe, he stays hungry and takes advantage of any opportunity on the floor, or maybe he works on something in his game (we could still use more 3's?) in the meantime to make minute distribution decisions even more interesting.

I still like the guy, but nothing is going his way right now. He seems broken lol

I think he turns around next year but even if he doesn't, it's nice to have a 10 mil contract to attach things to in a trade. As it stands we would need to move a key piece in any deal just to match salaries.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12