vs. Tampa Bay Lightning, 7:30 PM CT

Wed., Jan. 24
    vs. Toronto Maple Leafs, 7:00 PM CT

Thu., Jan. 25
    @ Detroit Red Wings, 6:30 PM CT

Tue., Jan. 30
    @ Nashville Predators, 7:00 PM CT

1934 1938 1961 2010 2013 2015

With the January schedule around the corner, we're getting to the point of the season where these games and our place in the standings is becoming crucial. Losing Crawford to the IR today really hurts.

1934 1938 1961 2010 2013 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    With the January schedule around the corner, we're getting to the point of the season where these games and our place in the standings is becoming crucial. Losing Crawford to the IR today really hurts.
    I'm really worried the Hawks have hit their wall.

I just hope we stick with the young team and hope we get some quick development.

I think it's time to move on from another 2 of the core

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Click here to register!

Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

Quote Originally Posted by blams View Post
    I'm really worried the Hawks have hit their wall.

I just hope we stick with the young team and hope we get some quick development.

I think it's time to move on from another 2 of the core

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I didn't think much of this team prior to the season starting and they've done absolutely nothing to change my mind. Without Crawford the Hawks are in serious poo poo.

Way too many spare parts on the roster right now, especially on the back end. This team is in serious jeopardy of missing the playoffs.

The problem with moving on from someone is... who? Keith is on a bargain deal and is still the best d-man on the team. Seabrook is darn near untradeable at this point. Trading Kane makes no sense. Trading Toews would have a negative effect in the lockerroom. The team sucks without Crawford.

One of the big issues for me is Toews. You can't be paid $10.5 million a year and not put up at least a good level of points. I appreciate his leadership, the face offs, the back and forechecking, his work along the boards. Everything. But he has to produce with points too otherwise we are basically paying a one way player close to twice what he's actually worth.

That's why, gun to my head, I take Kane over him every time. He just produces up to the level of his contract. Maybe we need to start considering that Toews is the problem on his line and not the wings playing beside him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't say I disagree with you, Cubby. Toews hasn't had a 30 goal season since his age 22 season, which was also the only time in his career that he put up over 70 points. That's closing in on 10 years ago. Whether it's linemates, the system, a reluctance to shoot the puck, whatever it may be, at $10.5 million a year he's being paid to put up offensive numbers and he isn't doing it. That's as big of a problem to me as Seabrook's contract or the lack of defensive depth on the team.

Can't say I disagree with you, Cubby. Toews hasn't had a 30 goal season since his age 22 season, which was also the only time in his career that he put up over 70 points. That's closing in on 10 years ago. Whether it's linemates, the system, a reluctance to shoot the puck, whatever it may be, at $10.5 million a year he's being paid to put up offensive numbers and he isn't doing it. That's as big of a problem to me as Seabrook's contract or the lack of defensive depth on the team.
    Yep. A lot of fans are reluctant to point the finger his way, but it's become quite clear he's the piece of the core not carrying his load. Keith is still nails, Kane racks up points with anyone in the league, Crow is a top three goalie in the league. Toews isn't paid to be a bottom six defensive center that can win face offs. He's paid to play both ways. Which means he has to create plays and score goals, which he isn't doing.

The rest of the team either isn't good enough or is just young. He's the guy that has to step up.

The problem with moving on from someone is... who? Keith is on a bargain deal and is still the best d-man on the team. Seabrook is darn near untradeable at this point. Trading Kane makes no sense. Trading Toews would have a negative effect in the lockerroom. The team sucks without Crawford.
    If Seabrook is movable, you do it if it doesn't cripple you long-term and you're not taking on much or any future salary. Otherwise, I think Anisimov and Panik are the guys I would trade. I like Panik and would like to see him rebuild his trade value though. I like Anisimov, too, but he's hurt a lot and is bad on faceoffs. I think if we're not making the playoffs, we should sell off Anisimov, Panik, and all the expiring contracts except for Hartman, Hinostroza, and Rutta. Let young guys fill holes for the rest of the season and see how they do. Let Schmaltz take his lumps at C and hopefully see some improvement from him there. Having said that, we could very well make a move and turn things around. I think Bowman has a good idea of how good this team is/can be and will make the moves necessary to make us better moving forward. I wouldn't be surprised to see us make a play for Max Pacioretty if we do end up buying. He's the type of goal scorer that I always thought would look great next to Toews. A Pacioretty-Toews-Saad line could be just what it takes to get Toews going. I also think we need to address our defensive depth. I'd love to add another puck moving defenseman that can play 3-4 D minutes.

On a side note, Scott Powers seems to think that Jokiharju won't be playing in the WHL next year. Whether that means he'll be playing in the NHL or in Europe, I don't know. But he's someone that has a lot of potential and might be able to crack the roster next year.

2016 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!

I'm not even sure he's a 'good' 2nd line center at this point

Click here to register!

Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

Wow, never thought I'd see the day when Toews was the problem.
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

I don't think he is THE problem, but he is definitely part of it. Another problem is Seabrook and his contract. The salary we have tied up to the core prevents us from making bigger moves. Another problem is the inexperience. In any given game, basically half our lineup consists of guys that have little to no postseason experience. Hell, experience in general. Thus, you see the growing pains in the form of turnovers and defensive responsibility.

Last place in the Central

If this is the end of the dynasty, it was a hell of a ride.

Team looks loads better tonight. Loved putting Vinnie on the top line. His speed has really given them a spark.

Quote Originally Posted by blams View Post
    I'm not even sure he's a 'good' 2nd line center at this point
    I think this is an over exaggeration. A center that's consistently putting up over 50 points a season while also consistently winning over 55% of his face-offs is absolutely a good 2nd line center. He's just no longer an elite 1st line C. That's not to say he can't get back to that level. But he hasn't played like an elite 1st line center. Interestingly enough, his possession numbers are looking better this year and he's getting takeaways like he has in years past. I think we may just see a bounce back of sorts for Toews if he can stay healthy. Especially if we can add a goal scoring wing to play with him and Saad.

I'd personally love to see us make a run at Max Pacioretty. He's having a down year but is on a really good contract with an AAV of $4.5 million and is signed next year as well. Patches with Toews and Saad could be a very good, even elite line. It all comes down to what you have to pay in trade. If you think Schmaltz can handle the 2C role, trading Anisimov in the trade for Pacioretty could make some sense and drive down the rest of the cost. The Canadiens have had interest in Anisimov and could use a center. Something like Anisimov, one of our D prospects, Hinostroza, and a top-10 protected 2018 1st might be enough to entice Montreal. I might be off on the value, but if not, that's a price I'd be willing to pay.

I also get the feeling that Bowman will make an under the radar type of pick-up on defense to get us a top-4 defenseman, like when we traded for Oduya in 2012-13. I don't necessarily think we win the Cup this year, but I could see us having a very good chance next year with the salary cap potentially going up, free agent and trade acquisitions this summer, and continued development from young players. How guys like Schmaltz, DeBrincat, Forsling, Murphy, and Hartman as well as a few others develop will determine whether our window is closing or opening back up.

2016 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast