Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

2018 World Jr. Championship (Leafs Forum Edition)

Merry Christmas, happy holidays and happy New Year to everyone on the Leafs Forum! It's that time of year again. World Junior time.

This year our Toronto Maple Leafs only have 3 prospects in the tournament but all 3 figure to be an important part of the Leafs future.

Team USA G Joseph Woll Boston College NCAA (H-East) Woll is 7-6 with a 2.90 GAA and a .898 save% this year. Drop off from 2.64 and .913% last year. But he looks like he may eventually be starter in the NHL. At 6'4" and 202 lbs he has the size you look for in a goaltender. He was taken in the 3rd round 62nd overall in 2016.

Team Finland D Eemeli Rasanen Kingston Frontenacs (OHL)

Rasanen may not play a lot for Finland due to the Finish D being loaded with 1st round picks but he did a good job cracking that deep blue line coming off his draft year. The Leafs took the 6'7" 208 lb D man in the 2nd round 59th overall in the 2017 entry draft. He has 3 goals and 19 assists in 28 games this year. While his skating needs work it's not as far behind as a lot of big players. He brings an edge to his game and can absolutely deliver monster hits to go along with a wicked slap shot.

Team Sweden D Timothy Liljegren Toronto Marlies (AHL)

Considered by many to be the steal of the 2017 NHL draft. The 6'0 190 lb Liljegren was taken by the Leafs in the 1st round 17th overall. Projected to be a top 2-5 pick at the beginning of last year, Liljegren saw his ranking fall due to a battle with mono and being shuffled around from team to team in Sweden last year. In 17 games with the Marlies this season he's put up 1 goal and 8 assists playing on an exciting pairing with Travis Dermott.

Tournament Schedule for Leafs prospects
    Tuesday, December 26th
    Sweden vs Belarus 2pm et TSN GO
    Finland vs Canada 3:30pm et TSN
    USA vs Denmark 8pm et TSN

Thursday, December 28th
    Denmark vs Finland 12:00 pm et TSN1,4
    Czech Republic vs Sweden 4:00 pm et TSN1,4
    Slovakia vs USA 8:00 pm et TSN1,4

Friday, December 29th
    USA vs Canada 2:00 pm et TSN

Saturday, December 30th
    Switzerland vs Sweden 2:00 pm et TSN5
    Slovakia vs Finland 4:00 pm et TSN1,4,5

Sunday, December 31st
    Finland vs USA 4:00 pm et TSN1,3
    Sweden vs Russia 8:00 pm et TSN1,3

World Junior Preview Show on tonight at 9pm et on TSN1, 3, 4 and 5. Enjoy the tournament!
    Last edited by KingerSox; 12-24-2017 at 02:33 PM.

Rasanen held off official Finnish roster for now, they have an open spot but just two Leafs officially in the tournament right now.

Liljegren just made an awesome stretch pass from behind his own net to set up a goal. No assist, but a great play.
    2015 Re-Draft Dream Team

Hall-Backes-Cammalleri
    Lupul-Bjugstad-Brown
    Rieder-Rakell-Hayes
    Jaskin-Jenner-Stempniak

McDonagh-Doughty
    Orpik-Jones
    Campbell-Gudbranson

Bernier
    Tokarski

Liljegren laid a couple people out today pretty good, played really well despite not getting on the score sheet.

Didn't get to catch the Sweden game today but that's good to hear. He could end up being 6'0 or 6'1" and close to 200 pounds. That's a solid frame to go with those wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by KingerSox View Post
    Didn't get to catch the Sweden game today but that's good to hear. He could end up being 6'0 or 6'1" and close to 200 pounds. That's a solid frame to go with those wheels.
    he's already listed at 6'0" 192 so thats not far fetched.

love that he's playing physical AND moving the puck really well. could very well be a steal at 17

I haven't been watching but i've been reading your posts and just came across these videos of Liljegren

Big hit:

I've watched Sweden play their games and Liljegren has played very well, goal and assist tonight. The coach trusts him as third Dman, he looks like a pro already. But holy ****, if you haven't seen Dahlin play yet... you need to. They say he's 6'2, 185, but he plays much bigger. He physically dominates most forwards, bit of nasty there, even dirty. His hands are better than anyone I've seen in some time, he's a better stickhandler than McD or Matthews were at 17. He makes the odd 17-year-old mistakes but quickly re-dominates most situations. He's playing 22 minutes a game. He reminds me of Chris Pronger, Larry Robinson and Borje.

Quote Originally Posted by swoop View Post
    I've watched Sweden play their games and Liljegren has played very well, goal and assist tonight. The coach trusts him as third Dman, he looks like a pro already. But holy ****, if you haven't seen Dahlin play yet... you need to. They say he's 6'2, 185, but he plays much bigger. He physically dominates most forwards, bit of nasty there, even dirty. His hands are better than anyone I've seen in some time, he's a better stickhandler than McD or Matthews were at 17. He makes the odd 17-year-old mistakes but quickly re-dominates most situations. He's playing 22 minutes a game. He reminds me of Chris Pronger, Larry Robinson and Borje.
    Yeah Dahlin is even a better D prospect than Ekblad was. Just the ability to take over a game from the back end. Very rare quality.

Looks like USA will go back to Woll in the quarters.

Great to see Liljegren hitting this much. I think when we drafted him we knew the offensive tools and puck moving were there, but his two way game is rapidly improving. Really awesome to see!
    2015 Re-Draft Dream Team

Hall-Backes-Cammalleri
    Lupul-Bjugstad-Brown
    Rieder-Rakell-Hayes
    Jaskin-Jenner-Stempniak

McDonagh-Doughty
    Orpik-Jones
    Campbell-Gudbranson

Bernier
    Tokarski

Liljegren with a great pass to set up the second Swede goal. Ray said he hasn't had a great tournament but i disagree. he's not lighting up the score sheet but he's been really steady on that 2nd pair for Sweden. Good positioning, moving the puck well, especially with the stretch pass and surprisingly physical.

Woll playing well but US is giving up a lot of chances now.

Sweden with 2 shorthanded goals and Woll pulled.