Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    I can’t see how you can argue that unions are useless when their demise nearly perfectly coincides with the decrease in share of middle class income.
    The unions that pay well enough to put people in the middle class destroyed themselves. They stopped fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    The only unions that really exist any more work in the public sectors, and they are largely useless and merely political.

I believe only about 7% of the unions in America are in the private sector.

This is why Illinois is having such a dramatic financial problem right now. Huge union pension to public sector employees finally have to be paid out, and they are charging insane property tax rates to make up the difference (on top of several, useless, and unnecessary other tax burdens).

Unions 100 years were 100% necessary to stop crony capitalism and to level the playing fields. But they serve very little purpose today outside of getting illogical, political funding for long term financial benefits...at the cost of the members and tax payers. It's an ugly cycle.

Workers rights and safety are necessary parts of any labor relation. Baseballs union for example, is a great union that protects the players and gets them an appropriate share of the revenue in the sport and takes care of former athletes.

Teachers union? Not so great at helping any teachers or supporting long term teacher goals and rights and supporting their low wages. I'd argue that the teachers union has done more harm than good in protecting poor teachers and preventing good, young teachers from being hired because of the protection of the poor performers. But, that's a different discussion.

To your secondary point, I strongly disagree.
    And this is no longer a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    And this is no longer a problem?
    You don't have laborers literally dying in the work place

born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    So no death means not useful for stopping crony Capitalism? Good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

Capitalism is helping your laborers. That's the entire point.

Benefit them, they benefit you (the employer)
    Well then why have wages stagnated for those at the bottom and boomed for those at the top. This is some ********.

First, we actually do, but I'm not sure what your point is. Unions were only necessary to prevent workers from dying in the workplace?

You don't think that protections for workers or a voice to speak on behalf of their rights is necessary currently?
    Last edited by valade16; 01-02-2018 at 06:07 PM.

All I said was that unions were of particular need 100 years ago (safety being a major issue).

As far as median income levels for the middle class, unions are nothing more than a business inside a business.

All I said was that unions were of particular need 100 years ago (safety being a major issue).

As far as median income levels for the middle class, unions are nothing more than a business inside a business.
    you said way more than that.

some unions are good ... some are worthless... it really depends on the leadership of the union

Quote Originally Posted by Vinylman View Post
    some unions are good ... some are worthless... it really depends on the leadership of the union
    Very much agree. Unions are like businesses in that, them being good or bad is determined on the individual merits of the particular business or union, not on unions or businesses as a whole.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123