Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Age old debate-Pit Bulls-yes or no

Read this:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...194106208.html

So, I am a monster dog person. I think they are all by nature very good, however, what are your thoughts? Would you have a pit bull if you have a small child?

I get that dog (and specifically pit bull) defenders will fight to their last breath, but here is a perfect example of why there is a debate to begin with.

Thoughts?

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Disturbing because I have a dog that behaved aggressively toward my wife. I spent $500 on a trainer to help my wife learn to assert herself and gain the dog's respect. She did and she feels safe now, but inside... I don't know. Maybe she isn't and stories like this make me wonder if I am being incredibly irresponsible.
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

Idk, this is weird.

Historically I've leaned toward the side that asserts that any dog, pit or otherwise, is the product of what they're raised to be rather than genetically inclined to attack/maul/etc. But I've never heard of a golden retriever randomly mauling its owner in the woods, either.

Idk. Very bizarre. Just imagine being that woman with two dogs you've raised since birth and you're walking through the woods and at some point they turn and just start eating the **** out of you.

And then they're guarding the dead body they just murdered? What?

This is a crazy story. I am a massive dog lover, but I'm not for or against pit bulls. I would never own one, especially if I had children. I have two dogs and two cats, and I wouldn't trust them with my cats. My smaller dog I don't trust around my cats sometimes.

If I didn't read this story, I would assume it was pitbulls, but I never would guess she raised them from puppies. It would be more understanding if they were rescued and had a troubled past or something. There had to be something to make them snap like that. No offense to people that own them, I have known pitbulls that were very sweet. I just wouldn't own one personally.

My friend has a pit bull one of the sweetest dogs you could ever meet

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    Geez, I'm a big dog lover, grew up with them.

Been around docile pit bulls and highly aggressive ones. Strange breed. I'd never own one.

What makes the story so disturbing is she raised them from puppies. Can't imagine, based on the article why they turned on her.

Sad story. I guess some dogs can turn on you just like some family members can, even when you think you know them so well......
    Couldn't Make The Cut As A Denver Broncos Cheerleader

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since '87

uapeople you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P. - SPRING 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Disturbing because I have a dog that behaved aggressively toward my wife. I spent $500 on a trainer to help my wife learn to assert herself and gain the dog's respect. She did and she feels safe now, but inside... I don't know. Maybe she isn't and stories like this make me wonder if I am being incredibly irresponsible.
    knowing all that, would you get another pit?

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmac View Post
    This is a crazy story. I am a massive dog lover, but I'm not for or against pit bulls. I would never own one, especially if I had children. I have two dogs and two cats, and I wouldn't trust them with my cats. My smaller dog I don't trust around my cats sometimes.

If I didn't read this story, I would assume it was pitbulls, but I never would guess she raised them from puppies. It would be more understanding if they were rescued and had a troubled past or something. There had to be something to make them snap like that. No offense to people that own them, I have known pitbulls that were very sweet. I just wouldn't own one personally.
    that is my exact take. I LOVE dogs. I even love pits, and I do think all dogs are good inside. But you never read a story about Irish Setters, or Boxers, mauling a kid/person. It's always pit bulls (I have read about rots a couple times too, but generally they were locked in a yard with no supervision).

I have a young daughter, and there is no way on earth I would allow a pit bull around her. None.

This story is so crazy too. I did read another bit of info, that the 2 dogs had been staying with her Dad, who kind of ignored them, and isolated them. That isn't ideal for pits. But still, it's very scary that they would turn on their Mom and maul her.

That all being said, if you are a 125 lb woman, why the hell would you have 2 dogs that outweigh you?

Eh, sad story, and I get the pit bull defenders will come up with anything to defend them. Hell I love all dogs. I just can't trust pits, they have made the news too many times. And frankly, they are just too strong for their own good.
    Last edited by Hawkeye15; 12-20-2017 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by turnaround3 View Post
    Idk, this is weird.

Historically I've leaned toward the side that asserts that any dog, pit or otherwise, is the product of what they're raised to be rather than genetically inclined to attack/maul/etc. But I've never heard of a golden retriever randomly mauling its owner in the woods, either.

Idk. Very bizarre. Just imagine being that woman with two dogs you've raised since birth and you're walking through the woods and at some point they turn and just start eating the **** out of you.

And then they're guarding the dead body they just murdered? What?
    that continues to be the key

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie6986 View Post
    Geez, I'm a big dog lover, grew up with them.

Been around docile pit bulls and highly aggressive ones. Strange breed. I'd never own one.

What makes the story so disturbing is she raised them from puppies. Can't imagine, based on the article why they turned on her.

Sad story. I guess some dogs can turn on you just like some family members can, even when you think you know them so well......:(
    good point. But, dogs are all about the pack, so it's so rare for a dog to turn on a family member. It's why we love them SO much. But maybe you are on to something.

More to the story.

The dogs had been living with her father after she got divorced. He kept them outside, isolated, and apparently not well-fed because he did not want to care for them. Who knows if he possibly abused them as well.

Certified master dog trainer Valerie Paul told WTVR that this was a 'huge lifestyle change for the two dogs, and certainly something that could have caused a 'negative scenario'.

'The breed in and of itself is a high energy breed, they like to have a lot of structure and a lot of exercise, so by keeping them in a pin, alone, under socialized, away from people, that energy is just building up and building up and building up and that's when you start to see dogs fighting more regularly, that's when you start to see more negative scenarios,' Paul said.
    My dog has aggressive tendencies. We give her a LOT of commands and tasks during the day to maintain the pack order in the house.
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

I love dogs as well but would never own a pit. I've dog sat pit mixes a couple times for two different people. The one family has two kids 6 and 11 and they've had the dogs (one is a pit mix) since the 6 year old was 2, i think, if not younger. Never was an issues. The dog is just very stubborn but has never attacked anyone.

The other family had kids like 10 and older by the time they started getting the pit mixes. All 3 they got were pit mixes. All were trained very well except for the later one. He was like 1 when they were having a big party. They had the other dogs out roaming the yard and the 1 year old tied up but still outside. I didn't get to the party yet but as soon as I got there my friend who's dogs/party came to me crying because the 1 year old bit a little girl (8 i think) because she got too close (the dog was a little skitzy, harder to train than the other 2 they said. they think he was just super excited/frantic about the party going on but...). they took the dog right away and put him down out in the field a couple miles away. The little girl was alright but still bled from it.

Now, I grew up with rescued greyhounds. The one was HUGE and attacked my sister who was like 6 or so at the time because (we think) the dog was frightened since he was in a narrow hall way and my sister got between him when the dog was trying to turn itself around to go the other way. We returned him as we only had him for a few months. We had another greyhound who was ****ing amazing. Loved that dog even though he was a horse and strong as **** when I'm 13/14 trying to take him out to poop. He was stubborn too and didn't ever want to come inside.

Later on my mom got 2 american eskimo dogs. the older one was the devil. bit/nipped my sister, grandfather, and a family friend. broke blood all 3 times but it was one of those back of the leg nips. We tried to get him trained. The dog trainer took him out to our backyard where no one else was around and he was tied to a bench or something. We were all outside out of eye site and the dog barked, i kid you not, for an hour straight only stopping to catch his breath and to drink. The trainer was not able to do anything for him. The trainer actually suggested he wasn't "right in the head". We tried getting him on puppy prozac but that didn't work. he was put down. The other eskimo was fine but she got aggressive when she got older and actually leg nipped at a pizza delivery driver one day and it was ordered she was put down i beleive, she was really sick too. i wasn't there for that.

Then my mom got smart and got two boxers. Best freaking dogs in the world. The one was a doof but the other one was such a sweet heart. My grandparents hate dogs but loved him. My mom actually moved in with my grandparents about 3 years ago and she gave her friend the doof because my grandparents didn't have room for two dogs and they almost didn't let my mom move in with the lovable one. It turned out to be great for everyone involved. Medical reasons for my mom and grandparents as to why she moved in with them so the dog was great for everyone; therapeutic in a sense.

I don't have any dogs currently but a boxer is the one I'd almost certainly get if/when I do get a dog.

I'd never get a pit but I don't overly mind them because of my experience with dog sitting them. Now those owners were great and they are mixes so not sure how much that plays into it.

TL;DR. Don't want a pit even though my experiences with them have been good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

It's definitely not always pitbulls that do the mauling. I've read lots of stories of other large breeds from Bull Mastiffs, Rotties, Dobs, Shepherds, etc. In my experiences (I have a lot of experience with dogs), little dogs are actually the worst for aggressive and dominant behavior, but, they aren't strong enough in most cases to do any serious damage to a person, even a child.

There's a lot of speculation from I've read about this story that it wasn't the dogs that did this. They're only source of proof is that the animals were feeding on the body when they found her. This is actually documented in many instances where dogs and cats will feed on their dead owner, even while having food readily available.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...nsics-science/

All this being said, I have owned a pitbull that we had to give to a farm because it was aggressive to my little brother. I think you can own them safely, but they need to be raised and trained correctly. My little brother thought the dog was a toy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    More to the story.

The dogs had been living with her father after she got divorced. He kept them outside, isolated, and apparently not well-fed because he did not want to care for them. Who knows if he possibly abused them as well.

My dog has aggressive tendencies. We give her a LOT of commands and tasks during the day to maintain the pack order in the house.
    kind of ropes back around to this:

the point of owning a dog, is probably different for everyone. But do you really want an animal that you have to essentially cater to, in order for them not to be a potentially dangerous dog?

Hell I ****ing HATE chihauha's (spelling, who cares how you spell them). You have to win them over, treat them like royalty, they hate everything including themselves, etc. But, they weigh 8 lbs, and can't harm anyone.

You shouldn't have a "companion" that you need to spend ample time entertaining because you worry it might eat your house, or worse, your wife or kid..

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    I love dogs as well but would never own a pit. I've dog sat pit mixes a couple times for two different people. The one family has two kids 6 and 11 and they've had the dogs (one is a pit mix) since the 6 year old was 2, i think, if not younger. Never was an issues. The dog is just very stubborn but has never attacked anyone.

The other family had kids like 10 and older by the time they started getting the pit mixes. All 3 they got were pit mixes. All were trained very well except for the later one. He was like 1 when they were having a big party. They had the other dogs out roaming the yard and the 1 year old tied up but still outside. I didn't get to the party yet but as soon as I got there my friend who's dogs/party came to me crying because the 1 year old bit a little girl (8 i think) because she got too close (the dog was a little skitzy, harder to train than the other 2 they said. they think he was just super excited/frantic about the party going on but...). they took the dog right away and put him down out in the field a couple miles away. The little girl was alright but still bled from it.

Now, I grew up with rescued greyhounds. The one was HUGE and attacked my sister who was like 6 or so at the time because (we think) the dog was frightened since he was in a narrow hall way and my sister got between him when the dog was trying to turn itself around to go the other way. We returned him as we only had him for a few months. We had another greyhound who was ****ing amazing. Loved that dog even though he was a horse and strong as **** when I'm 13/14 trying to take him out to poop. He was stubborn too and didn't ever want to come inside.

Later on my mom got 2 american eskimo dogs. the older one was the devil. bit/nipped my sister, grandfather, and a family friend. broke blood all 3 times but it was one of those back of the leg nips. We tried to get him trained. The dog trainer took him out to our backyard where no one else was around and he was tied to a bench or something. We were all outside out of eye site and the dog barked, i kid you not, for an hour straight only stopping to catch his breath and to drink. The trainer was not able to do anything for him. The trainer actually suggested he wasn't "right in the head". We tried getting him on puppy prozac but that didn't work. he was put down. The other eskimo was fine but she got aggressive when she got older and actually leg nipped at a pizza delivery driver one day and it was ordered she was put down i beleive, she was really sick too. i wasn't there for that.

Then my mom got smart and got two boxers. Best freaking dogs in the world. The one was a doof but the other one was such a sweet heart. My grandparents hate dogs but loved him. My mom actually moved in with my grandparents about 3 years ago and she gave her friend the doof because my grandparents didn't have room for two dogs and they almost didn't let my mom move in with the lovable one. It turned out to be great for everyone involved. Medical reasons for my mom and grandparents as to why she moved in with them so the dog was great for everyone; therapeutic in a sense.

I don't have any dogs currently but a boxer is the one I'd almost certainly get if/when I do get a dog.

I'd never get a pit but I don't overly mind them because of my experience with dog sitting them. Now those owners were great and they are mixes so not sure how much that plays into it.

TL;DR. Don't want a pit even though my experiences with them have been good.
    ohhhhhhhhhhhh yeah. I have one now who is nearly 11, so he won't be around long. But he is my 3rd. Best dogs on the planet man, no doubt in my mind.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast