Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Vince McMahon looking to revive the XFL?

There is talk Vince McMahon of WWE fame is looking to possibly start a new football league. Obviously the XFL failed miserably but in an era where the NFL is hemorrhaging viewership I wonder if a new league if given a chance has a shot against the NFL. Presumably not but just wondering your guys thoughts on it.

D.o.a.

"If you a dawg, be a dawg!"

"Just Bring It"
    YOU JUST MADE THE LIST!!!!!

2017 PSD Fantasy Nascar Champion

All he has to do is get rid of some of the stupid pansy rules in the NFL now and he might get some viewership.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

They should throw money at highly rated recruits. Start like a minor league system.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

No way it succeeds IMO. XFL was premised on the fact that it was getting back to "hard hitting football" but that doesn't really mesh with what we know about CTE now. I mean the WWE has advance a lot since the XFL days so maybe they'd have a fresh take on it now, but if it was the same attempt as before trying to be more "hardcore" and racy than the NFL then I don't think it'll work.

Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    They should throw money at highly rated recruits. Start like a minor league system.
    I think that would be better than starting a whole new league. treat it a bit like MLB and have that minor league system that are an affiliate with a team and you can bring players up or down because of performances or injuries.

cut out the thursday night NFL games and you could use that for minor league games.

RIP Gene Wilder

For the record, this will have nothing to do with WWE. Some of the guys who do run the dirt sheets in wrestling have looked into it, and Vince has another company to his name- Alpha Entertainment- which is designed to keep things separate from the WWE (i.e. to keep WWE stock healthy.). Under that name, he has filed for a lot of trademarks related to the XFL.

I don't think it will work, but this is the right climate to try and start it if he wanted to give it one more go.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamba42 View Post
    No way it succeeds IMO. XFL was premised on the fact that it was getting back to "hard hitting football" but that doesn't really mesh with what we know about CTE now. I mean the WWE has advance a lot since the XFL days so maybe they'd have a fresh take on it now, but if it was the same attempt as before trying to be more "hardcore" and racy than the NFL then I don't think it'll work.
    It really comes down to the quality of play on the field. XFL tried too hard last time to be edgy. Just put a quality product on the field and don't weigh it down with a bunch of restrictive and confusing rules and people will watch.

I dunno if it could work but he could throw it on the network

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

11. 12-19-2017, 12:23 AM

Quote Originally Posted by CasperX22 View Post
    It really comes down to the quality of play on the field. XFL tried too hard last time to be edgy. Just put a quality product on the field and don't weigh it down with a bunch of restrictive and confusing rules and people will watch.
    Yeah, that would be trick. Get quality football and people will probably watch it. There were a lot of fun things about the XFL, but they'd have to really try and get some bigger names who have washed out of the NFL. Manziel, Vince Young, RG3, maybe even Kaepernick. That'd be a lot of fun to watch.

Patent in for UFL and United Football League so it definitely won't go by the same name.

Click here to register!

Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

The first thing to do is come up with a name other than the XFL, otherwise people will dismiss it right away because of the memories of 2000. Maybe Vince can market it as not having as many penalties (such as being more lenient on defensive holding and no ticky-tack personal fouls on the QB). But they should also not have gimmicks that get people injured, like that stupid fumble recovery in place of the coin flip and putting punt returners at great risk by not having fair catches. Hopefully he will care a little about player safety this time.

How about some ideas on locations? I imagine an eight team league like the XFL was, so this list would be widdled down eventually.

Milwaukee (The Brewers owner said that he would allow minor league football in his stadium.)
    Albuquerque
    Louisville
    Providence (if there's a big enough minor league baseball stadium there)
    Fresno
    San Antonio
    El Paso
    Austin
    Omaha (Peyton Manning could show up and be honored at their first home game. {LOL})
    Birmingham
    Memphis
    St. Louis (unless they already tore down the stadium)
    San Diego (The stadium's still there -- for SDSU)
    etc, etc.
    Last edited by MidwestJimmy; 12-20-2017 at 03:09 PM.

vince mcmahon is one of the smartest businessmen in the world....he whiffed the first time with this because of bad timing...he will make out like a bandit because of perfect timing this go around
    ....coooookie

Quote Originally Posted by krazylegz View Post
    vince mcmahon is one of the smartest businessmen in the world....he whiffed the first time with this because of bad timing...he will make out like a bandit because of perfect timing this go around
    But you said football won't exist in 20 years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast