Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Probably at work!
    Posts
    18,458

    Carlos Santana to Philly

    Per Jon Heyman

    www.twitter.com/JonHeyman

    Santanaís deal is $60M for 3 years with philly

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bethlehem
    Posts
    36,874
    Damn did not expect this. Canít say I hate it.

    I think the Phillies trade Nick Williams for a SP.

    They could have a sneaky team.

    You think Detroit would look at Nick Williams plus a prospect or two outside the top 10 for Fulmer?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bethlehem
    Posts
    36,874
    17.5 club option as well


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    50,727
    Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    Damn did not expect this. Canít say I hate it.

    I think the Phillies trade Nick Williams for a SP.

    They could have a sneaky team.

    You think Detroit would look at Nick Williams plus a prospect or two outside the top 10 for Fulmer?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nick Williams is a scary type of prospect, despite the decent first cup of tea in the majors. He held a BABIP that's unsustainable, and a K% nearing the 30% threshold in both AAA and the MLB. He's never been a good walk-player. Fullmer carries plenty of control, and while his advanced metrics state he's probably out pitching them, the Tigers really don't have any reason to settle on a player who's still as volatile as Williams.

    Williams could go different ways. I think there'd have to be much more than Nick Williams to realistically entice the Tigers. There's plenty of teams who'd be interested in Fullmer and could probably best that package.
    We're From Philadelphia


    We. Fight.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bethlehem
    Posts
    36,874
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Nick Williams is a scary type of prospect, despite the decent first cup of tea in the majors. He held a BABIP that's unsustainable, and a K% nearing the 30% threshold in both AAA and the MLB. He's never been a good walk-player. Fullmer carries plenty of control, and while his advanced metrics state he's probably out pitching them, the Tigers really don't have any reason to settle on a player who's still as volatile as Williams.

    Williams could go different ways. I think there'd have to be much more than Nick Williams to realistically entice the Tigers. There's plenty of teams who'd be interested in Fullmer and could probably best that package.
    I think Williams hold a good amount of value though. He was a top 100, I think top 75, prospect entering the season and still showed a good bat in the majors even though it was limited time.

    Thereís no reason he couldnít still be a headliner of a package. Obviously more would be included. Not saying the Phillies offer couldnít be beat just saying itís an offer Iíd be comfortable with and canít be denied as at least a competitive offer. He holds value and is a guy, now, I wouldnít mind giving up to get a need.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    50,330
    He got the same as E5, and in a much more crowded market.


    I love Santana. I view him as a consistent and reliable hitter. But he also comes with a lot of flaws. His defense isn't worth much at first, though he can pick it with the best of them. But man, he is one of the worst hitters in the league when the shift is in use against him.

    http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...rs=0&sort=17,a

    And they really use it against him a lot. If he isn't within his true three outcomes, he is in trouble offensively. Fortunately, he doesn't strike out much and walks plenty.

    Give me E5 for the money every day of the week.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bethlehem
    Posts
    36,874
    I think this is an overpay based on Aav only. Wouldíve expected more than 3 years with a club option for him.

    Plus right now the Phillies are in position to overpay and still not hurt themselves in the future.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    50,330
    Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    I think this is an overpay based on Aav only. Wouldíve expected more than 3 years with a club option for him.

    Plus right now the Phillies are in position to overpay and still not hurt themselves in the future.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Certainly. The shortness of the deal is why he get the AAV. And the Phillies have no issues absorbing that.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    50,727
    Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    I think Williams hold a good amount of value though. He was a top 100, I think top 75, prospect entering the season and still showed a good bat in the majors even though it was limited time.

    Thereís no reason he couldnít still be a headliner of a package. Obviously more would be included. Not saying the Phillies offer couldnít be beat just saying itís an offer Iíd be comfortable with and canít be denied as at least a competitive offer. He holds value and is a guy, now, I wouldnít mind giving up to get a need.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fullmer should return considerably more than a back-end top 100 type as the headliner. He's probably good/young enough with enough control to return at least a top-30 + a back end top-100 player. Nick Williams would need a very good pairing with him and certainly far more than back end Phillies top-10.

    I'm not very high on Williams myself. He profiles with his contact% as someone who has a ton of bust potential. I don't think he's awful by any stretch, but I'd be shocked if the Tigers would settle for a package of a top-75 prospect with a good, but concerning first run (his contact rate was well below 70% with a near 30% K-rate, and was boosted by a quite unsustainable BABIP. A .50 point BABIP drop keeps him at a .325 but would drop his average to the .230 range and his OBP well below .300. He is going to have to make considerable strides with his contact% or keep a ridiculously high BABIP to overcome this) as the headline.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 12-15-2017 at 06:20 PM.
    We're From Philadelphia


    We. Fight.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Phanland
    Posts
    6,628
    I could have almost sworn first base was going to go to Rhys. This gives me the same sort of feeling as when the Phillies picked up Gregg Jefferies in Ď95.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    27,796
    I like the player and the money is fine. I question the fit though. Is Hoskins in LF better than I think he is? Maybe Santana shifts to 3B?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bethlehem
    Posts
    36,874
    Quote Originally Posted by Mell413 View Post
    I like the player and the money is fine. I question the fit though. Is Hoskins in LF better than I think he is? Maybe Santana shifts to 3B?
    I think they might be just going for offense. I did think of Santana to 3rd but that seems doubtful.

    CBP is a good offensive park, Phillies were at their peak with great bats. Maybe theyíre looking to do a good offense and good pen to compete.

    The thing with this move is I feel they absolutely have to go and do another move or two for pitching in some way. I feel as though this is a move you make if youíre a couple pieces away from contending or itís the first of many moves within the next season or two. Itís such a short deal thT unless they do other things within the next 2 years, this move was a waste.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    cleveland
    Posts
    9,514
    Santana's a grinder. Durable guy who's very patient at the plate. Has power and sneaky speed. But way to inconsistent. As an Indians fan he gave me headaches. I'll miss him but good bye lol.
    For not honoring a sig bet I now own YEDB90

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn New York
    Posts
    16,866
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    He got the same as E5, and in a much more crowded market.


    I love Santana. I view him as a consistent and reliable hitter. But he also comes with a lot of flaws. His defense isn't worth much at first, though he can pick it with the best of them. But man, he is one of the worst hitters in the league when the shift is in use against him.

    http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...rs=0&sort=17,a

    And they really use it against him a lot. If he isn't within his true three outcomes, he is in trouble offensively. Fortunately, he doesn't strike out much and walks plenty.

    Give me E5 for the money every day of the week.
    Donít forget that Santana signed his deal at almost 32 when Encarnacion signed his at 34. I would not be surprised if Santana was equally or possibly even more valuable than Encarnacion over their respective three years.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,988
    i dont like it because it hurts your defense and hes a guy who would benefit from having DH plus the money when there is so many options, other teams wanting hosmer and others must be angry at the phillies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •