Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Better big men: U.S. or World?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • U.S.

3 50.00%
  • World

3 50.00%

Better big men: U.S. or World?

I remember there historically being apprehension toward foreign big men because of perceived issues with rebounding, rim protection and other defensive factors. Guys like Nowitzki seemed to be the exception to the rule that international big men don't do as well in the NBA.
    But the NBA seems to have drifted more toward the international game in style. Now, 18 NBA teams have at least one international big man starting in their front court. Four teams have international big men starting at both front court positions. Philadelphia starts three international big men.
    Five international big men have been taken in the top five of the draft over the last five years two as the top pick overall. One of those is now favorite to win rookie of the year. At least three international big men are sensible top-10 MVP candidates. One is a strong candidate for DPOY.
    Have international big men caught up to their American counterparts? Are American big men just taking some time to adjust to the more spaced-out, internationally influenced game?
    Let's define a big man as someone 6'8" or taller who regularly plays power forward or center, with some exceptions such as Draymond, who is 6'7" but is obviously a big man. Here's a list of some star big men:

U.S.
    LeBron James
    Anthony Davis
    DeMarcus Cousins
    Andre Drummond
    Blake Griffin
    DeAndre Jordan
    LaMarcus Aldridge
    Draymond Green
    Kevin Love
    Karl-Anthony Towns
    Aaron Gordon
    Hassan Whiteside
    Paul Millsap

World
    Joel Embiid
    Giannis Antetokounmpo
    Rudy Gobert
    Nikola Jokic
    Marc Gasol
    Al Horford
    Kristaps Porzingis
    Ben Simmons
    Clint Capela
    Jusuf Nurkic
    Steven Adams
    Nikola Vucevic
    Jonas Valanciunas
    Pau Gasol

I feel like it would be for a fun 5 vs. 5 match up.

I dunno. Fun to think about.

PG: LBJ
    SG: Aaron Gordon
    SF: Dray
    PF: KAT
    C: Boogie/AD

vs.:

PG: Simmons
    SG: Jokic
    SF: Giannis
    PF: Porzy
    C: Gobert/Embiid

Big men outside of US, especially in the US, are usually more skilled, especially offensively. But sometimes they may not be able to adapt to the athletic big men in the US.

RIGHT NOW... U.S. but the second Lebron declines its world.

Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

The skillset is widely different, big men you listed in U.S. are usually athletic ones with no large impact on the game outside of their physical abilities (except LeBron / Dray obv and Boogie/Griffin to a lesser degree)

Big men from the world list impact the game in many ways, take Porzy / Embiid outside range or even more in the passing abilities (Gasol bros, Jokic and Horford are beasts)

I'm biased but I'll say World even if the best player is on USA side

nitpicking, but Towns played for an international team as a youth, so he is "World".

that would be a pretty tough debate honestly...

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

I'm sorry but we can love Embiid, Porzingis, Simmons, etc. but Giannis is the only one that is already a superstar. The US Team is so much more proven. In 3 years it might be the world in the landslide but for right now you can't get caught up in the hype. Give me LeBron/AD/Blake/Draymond etc. over all those guys for this season.

Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    nitpicking, but Towns played for an international team as a youth, so he is "World".

that would be a pretty tough debate honestly...
    Towns could technically play for the Dominican Republic or U.S. I counted him as an American, considering he's from New Jersey.

I don't think LeBron, Draymond, or Millsap should be included. 6'7" isn't "big" to me.
    MacLean's Law: Everywhere you go there will be a jerk. Corrolary: If you go somewhere by yourself you become a jerk.

I don't care where anyone chooses to go in free agency. I really don't. Yes, KD "broke" the NBA for a year or two, but I can't blame him for going to the team that fit what he wanted.

The worst part about the Warriors winning is that now I can't have an opinion without being a "homer" or a "hater". It used to be that dialogue had merit independent of accusations.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I don't think LeBron, Draymond, or Millsap should be included. 6'7" isn't "big" to me.
    They primarily play as big men. And Draymond is the only guy you mentioned under 6'8".

I cant vote... Originally i was going to say any team with Embiid but then I saw my other true love lebron on the other team........ I am so conflicted.

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    I cant vote... Originally i was going to say any team with Embiid but then I saw my other true love lebron on the other team........ I am so conflicted.
    Injured God >Judas. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by mrblisterdundee View Post
    They primarily play as big men. And Draymond is the only guy you mentioned under 6'8".
    LeBron's combine height was 6'7.25"
    Millsaps was 6'6.25"
    Green was 6'5.75"

LeBron generally doesn't want to be labelled as a big, and while he's often the 2nd largest player on the court nowadays I wouldn't say he belongs in the discussion of NBA bigs because he's unique and if you are going to shoe horn those 3 in you are putting some effort to improve the US side of the list.

Klay Thompson regularly defends 4s and 5s and he's around that height and weight ... is he a "big"?
    MacLean's Law: Everywhere you go there will be a jerk. Corrolary: If you go somewhere by yourself you become a jerk.

I don't care where anyone chooses to go in free agency. I really don't. Yes, KD "broke" the NBA for a year or two, but I can't blame him for going to the team that fit what he wanted.

The worst part about the Warriors winning is that now I can't have an opinion without being a "homer" or a "hater". It used to be that dialogue had merit independent of accusations.

Both James and Giannis aren't bigs IMO. It just doesn't fit right with me on a subjective level.

Defensively I would go World. Offense US.

For me I would go World as far as defensively when it comes to big men but when it comes to offensively as far as in the offensive department then USA takes the edge but it is just so fairly even