Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

What do you give up for Erik Karlsson?

Sens are in free fall, and allegedly asked for his 10 teams he'd allow a trade to. He's a FA at the end of next season, and doesn't look right this season, but what would his cost be?

The Lost Boys of PSD

They just traded for Duchene I don’t think he will be traded.

If Detroit gave up what was needed, Karlsson would have no business being in Detroit with an even worse roster. It would be Larkin+Mantha+Cholowski.

If Detroit managed to sign John Tavares this offseason and then Erik Karlsson next.. my god. Tavares would be on a original six, have secondary scoring (Zetterberg, Larkin, Frans, Mantha). If that team could do something maybe EK considers the Swedish mafia as a UFA.

Going to EDM he'd likely be outshined by McDavid. I really wonder if he'd consider teaming up in TB with some fellow Swedes.

What would I give up?

If there is confidence an extension can be had - Marner, Nylander, Liljegren?

By the time you trade for a guy like EK, you've pretty much gutted your team and you likely don't end up much better. On top of that you're likely giving up cost controlled assets for a player who's likely to test free agency. I think Tampa makes the most sense. They're stacked at every position and have the assets because of great drafting to trade for EK without feeling it too much on their NHL roster. Ottawa would definitely ask for Sergachev or Point. I think it guarantees them a cup tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Halladay View Post
    By the time you trade for a guy like EK, you've pretty much gutted your team and you likely don't end up much better. On top of that you're likely giving up cost controlled assets for a player who's likely to test free agency. I think Tampa makes the most sense. They're stacked at every position and have the assets because of great drafting to trade for EK without feeling it too much on their NHL roster. Ottawa would definitely ask for Sergachev or Point. I think it guarantees them a cup tbh.
    The ask would probably be both. Then again, Stamkos, Kucherov, Hedman and Karlsson...

Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer:32043328
    What would I give up?

If there is confidence an extension can be had - Marner, Nylander, Liljegren?
    That's a bit much lol.
    “It’s about winning,” Stoudemire said. “You win, you’re going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won — Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you don’t win, nobody really wants to see you.”

Quote Originally Posted by aman_13 View Post
    That's a bit much lol.
    A lot, but the return is a Top 5 player in the NHL. Those assets don't get dealt.

For Boston, I don't know that I give up anything. No doubt Karlsson makes the team better, but his next contract is going to be possibly the highest for a d-man ever. With other guys on the roster due for extensions in the next 2-3 years, I don't know know that EK if a viable option. Not to mention OTT starts talks with either Pastrnak or McAvoy and that's when it ends for Boston.
    Carlo / McAvoy / Bjork / DeBrusk
    "The Next Generation"

Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    A lot, but the return is a Top 5 player in the NHL. Those assets don't get dealt.
    Toronto easily keeps their young assets in that situation... Not that Ottawa would even try to deal EK to the Leafs

Quote Originally Posted by Ezekial View Post
    Toronto easily keeps their young assets in that situation... Not that Ottawa would even try to deal EK to the Leafs
    Of course they wouldn't. Only way to answer the hypothetical though.

In my opinion Karlsson is the best defenseman in the NHL. If Sens need to deal him, 30 teams should want the asset and see if they can extend him. Premium young assets would definitely have to go the other way for a player of his caliber - and for Ottawa to actually deal him.

I'd give up my next 2 full drafts.

Theres not a chance in hell the Leafs trade Marner + Nylander for Karlsson lolol

Quote Originally Posted by Halladay View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    The ask would probably be both. Then again, Stamkos, Kucherov, Hedman and Karlsson...
    If Im Tampa I give Sergachev and Point plus a 1st in a heart beat for Karlsson. Adding Karlsson makes the Bolts clear favorites over the next two seasons with all of their stars in their prime.
    Vancouver Canucks
    Toronto Blue Jays
    San Francisco 49's