Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Its a nose twitch. Gruden has a WB ring
    "Just because the path is well beaten. That doesn't mean it's the right way to go"

out of all the options, how does one think to themselves to stay with Caldwell?

we know exactly what he is, a terrible head coach who makes boneheaded game management calls

the dude is a joke. if you're fine with him being the coach that's on u, must've been Lionized

THE START OF A NEW ERA #I.Q.W.T

Quote Originally Posted by whooligun View Post
    Gruden makes funny faces though.
    Makes sense, we needed to replace Schwartz with someone less fiery, so Caldwell came in, now we would replace him with someone opposite, enter someone capable of making a face

Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    out of all the options, how does one think to themselves to stay with Caldwell?

we know exactly what he is, a terrible head coach who makes boneheaded game management calls

the dude is a joke. if you're fine with him being the coach that's on u, must've been Lionized
    How about Pete Carrolls play call on the last play of the game in the Super Bowl against the Pats inside the 5 yard line? Sorry but they all make boneheaded calls. Even the good ones. I'm sticking by Caldwell until somebody better replaces him. In real life. Not somebody on many of your wish lists.
    "Just because the path is well beaten. That doesn't mean it's the right way to go"

Quote Originally Posted by JackB View Post
    How about Pete Carrolls play call on the last play of the game in the Super Bowl against the Pats inside the 5 yard line? Sorry but they all make boneheaded calls. Even the good ones. I'm sticking by Caldwell until somebody better replaces him. In real life. Not somebody on many of your wish lists.

So in other words, you will stick with whomever the Lions have at HC.

This is kind of what the problem is here though. We are no 0-16 or 2-14 suck. But since we are about an 8-8 to 10-6 win team with chances to make the playoffs and lose then everything is fine. I mean me personally is kind of tired of "making the playoffs as a big accomplishment" for us. We need to actually make noise in the playoffs for once.
    2015 Detroit Lions Prediction Game WINNER

Best Options to take over for Caldwell, IF HE'S Fired

Caldwell may be the best coach we've had in the last 17 years. Now I believe the whole 9 players on the field for a crucial 3rd down is inexcusable and I believe the front office needs to at least consider looking into firing him but IF we win out and miss the playoffs I honestly think its going to be hard for the front office to fire Caldwell.

As for the coaches and their records since Fontes left which up to now was our best coach.

1.Bobby Ross: Coached 57 games with a record of 27-30 .474 winning percentage
    2.Gary Moeller: Only Coached in 7 games after Bobby Ross resigned in season and went 4-3. My personal opinion should have been hired full time instead of the next coach on this list.
    3. Marty Mornhinwig: Coached in 32 games with a record of 5-27 .156 winning percentage
    4. Steve Mariucci: Coached in 43 games with a record of 15-28 .349 winning percentage
    5. Dick Jauron: Only Coached in 5 games and went 1-4 but I think in my honest opinion should have at least gotten the full time job instead of the next guy on the list.
    6. Rod Marinelli: Coached in 48 games with a record of 10-48 .208 winning percentage and of course we all know the reason he was fired.
    7. Jim Schwartz: Coached 80 games with a record of 29-51 .363 winning percentage and 1 playoff appearance
    8. Now to Caldwell: Has coached 61 games so far with a record of 34-27 .557 winning percentage and 2 playoff appearances.

So the combined records of the first 7 head coaches is 272 games coached with a record of 91-181 with a winning percentage of .334.

I know a lot of people want no retreads as far as coaches but I think McDaniels is probably the best fit as far as a head coach goes. I think him and Bob Quinn would work well together as far as bringing in the right players, McDaniels first run as head coach we all know didn't go well but I believe the main reason is he had full control of the roster and him and the Broncos front office didn't see eye to eye.

In my honest opinion is we at least give Caldwell one more season and if he struggles again then get rid of him. Like I said before if we win out and miss the playoffs, which I see happening anyway because of the tiebreaker situations we put ourselves in, it will be hard for the front office to fire him but I could see this being the same situation the Bears did Lovie Smith after he went 10-6 and missed the playoffs.

AAL: MATTHEW STAFFORD
    COMP: 371 ATT: 565 YDS: 4,446 COMP %: 65.7 TD: 29 INT: 10 FUMBLES: 11 QBR: 61.8
    RUSH ATT: 29 YDS: 98 TD: 0
    COMEBACK WINS: 2

2016 PSD LIONS FORUM COMEBACK POSTER OF THE YEAR

Favorite Teams
    Detroit Red Wings 30-38-12 Points: 72
    Detroit Lions#INBOBQUINNWETRUST!
    Detroit Tigers 1-4
    North Carolina Tarheels Mens Basketball Overall: 26-11 ACC: 11-7 Good Season Boys!
    Florida State Seminoles #timeforthetaggartera

Thank you !

Quote Originally Posted by ahoda View Post
    So in other words, you will stick with whomever the Lions have at HC.
    Yes ! At least unless there's a better option. I give you the Lions have made several mental mistakes through out the year. But in my opinion thats on the OC , DC and the players. Caldwell can't watch 53 players all at the same time. Yes he's responsible for those players and assistants but for him to catch all the blame just isn't fair in my opinion. We've had a revolving door with head coaches the last decade and a half. The leash is short with no chance to get established . And the results have not been good . I want to right the ship as badly as most you. But I'm more optimistic and not pessimistic .I'm willing to be patient . I believe we can be a better football team . See what happens the rest of the season. See how the draft goes. See what free agents we can bring in. We are very close in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by vader817 View Post
    Best Options to take over for Caldwell, IF HE'S Fired

Caldwell may be the best coach we've had in the last 17 years. Now I believe the whole 9 players on the field for a crucial 3rd down is inexcusable and I believe the front office needs to at least consider looking into firing him but IF we win out and miss the playoffs I honestly think its going to be hard for the front office to fire Caldwell.

As for the coaches and their records since Fontes left which up to now was our best coach.

1.Bobby Ross: Coached 57 games with a record of 27-30 .474 winning percentage
    2.Gary Moeller: Only Coached in 7 games after Bobby Ross resigned in season and went 4-3. My personal opinion should have been hired full time instead of the next coach on this list.
    3. Marty Mornhinwig: Coached in 32 games with a record of 5-27 .156 winning percentage
    4. Steve Mariucci: Coached in 43 games with a record of 15-28 .349 winning percentage
    5. Dick Jauron: Only Coached in 5 games and went 1-4 but I think in my honest opinion should have at least gotten the full time job instead of the next guy on the list.
    6. Rod Marinelli: Coached in 48 games with a record of 10-48 .208 winning percentage and of course we all know the reason he was fired.
    7. Jim Schwartz: Coached 80 games with a record of 29-51 .363 winning percentage and 1 playoff appearance
    8. Now to Caldwell: Has coached 61 games so far with a record of 34-27 .557 winning percentage and 2 playoff appearances.

So the combined records of the first 7 head coaches is 272 games coached with a record of 91-181 with a winning percentage of .334.

I know a lot of people want no retreads as far as coaches but I think McDaniels is probably the best fit as far as a head coach goes. I think him and Bob Quinn would work well together as far as bringing in the right players, McDaniels first run as head coach we all know didn't go well but I believe the main reason is he had full control of the roster and him and the Broncos front office didn't see eye to eye.

In my honest opinion is we at least give Caldwell one more season and if he struggles again then get rid of him. Like I said before if we win out and miss the playoffs, which I see happening anyway because of the tiebreaker situations we put ourselves in, it will be hard for the front office to fire him but I could see this being the same situation the Bears did Lovie Smith after he went 10-6 and missed the playoffs.
    Again this is still bringing up my point. Yes Caldwell is better than we had, but they have all be crap. Just because he is better than the crap we have had doesnt mean he is the one for us. We are all (or most of us) are so use to 2/3/4 wins a season that when we got Caldwell it was like a crazy life savor. I mean he has not been horrible, but going 8-8 or 10-6 and then losing in the playoffs is not ok. See some are still in the mindset that (hey we made the playoffs this is good). No it is not. We have to want a team thats going to win playoff games and nothing less. Caldwell at this time is not someone to win us a playoff game. He can get us there possibly every other year or so, but we won't win one. And I would like to win one.

You need to stop looking at this as Caldwell is better than what we had because we haven't had anything great since 91 and before that was the 50s. Barry teams were good. But like they were then and how we are now. They were good enough to get to the playoffs but never win.

Yes ! At least unless there's a better option. I give you the Lions have made several mental mistakes through out the year. But in my opinion thats on the OC , DC and the players. Caldwell can't watch 53 players all at the same time. Yes he's responsible for those players and assistants but for him to catch all the blame just isn't fair in my opinion. We've had a revolving door with head coaches the last decade and a half. The leash is short with no chance to get established . And the results have not been good . I want to right the ship as badly as most you. But I'm more optimistic and not pessimistic .I'm willing to be patient . I believe we can be a better football team . See what happens the rest of the season. See how the draft goes. See what free agents we can bring in. We are very close in my opinion.
    You know we have kind of all year come out flat and not ready to compete in just about every game. In the majority of the games we have gone down early and seemed unprepared for the game till the second half. I mean its literally his job to get us prepared for games and he has yet to show he has this year.

I'll give you that .
    But as far as your other point about the past HC's. Werent they all signed as the answer? Over the years people like you called for their heads after 7-8-9 games. We need a new head coach was the cry. This guy sucks. This guy is this this guy is that. We get another new HC and what happens? Same freaking thing. This has gone on for 16-17 years. You guys are never happy. We finally get a guy that wins more games then 2-3 0r three combined and has made the playoffs a couple time and you still arent happy. Sure he's made mistakes They all do. Damn. They are human . Nobody calls a perfect game . Every team in the league has its own issues. The good ones are able to over come them so they aren't so noticeable. We are close. Mistakes happen along the way to getting better. You crawl before you walk. You walk before your run. It all takes time. I believe we are on the right road. If we are lucky enough to make the playoffs this year we will play on the road. We've been a very good road team. Sure maybe we lose. But that expirence will help those that return next year. They will have tasted the playoffs and hopefully want to go deeper. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it. You guys can ***** and moan about our head coach but I'm staying by him until c change is made.

1. Patricia (Defensive head coach, super bowl experience is familiar with being an offensive coach as well)

2. McDaniels (Would be a great coach for Stafford and the offense. Actually knows how to call a game, adapts)

3. Rams OC (Each QB that he has been the coach under the last 5 years they have had pretty damn good years, just like this year)

THE START OF A NEW ERA #I.Q.W.T

No to McDaniels.

Bringing in more QB-first HC & OCs is just more of the same.

Mariucci, Morningweg, Martz, Linehan, Lombardi, Caldwell, Cooter...all QB-first coaches. Im sure Im missing some along the way too.

This team is set at QB. You've got the franchise QB, the highest paid player in the NFL, the guy with more passing yards for his age than anyone, etc, etc. You don't need to bring in a pass-first coach. The passing game should be the last thing you focus on right now.

If we had a DL of Reggie White, Strahan, Suh & Aaron Donald, you wouldn't make the DL your #1 focus. You'd think that department would be all locked up. But not if youre running the Lions. No sir. You need to keep piling on that one strength and wonder why the rest of the team can't keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by whooligun View Post
    No to McDaniels.

Bringing in more QB-first HC & OCs is just more of the same.

Mariucci, Morningweg, Martz, Linehan, Lombardi, Caldwell, Cooter...all QB-first coaches. Im sure Im missing some along the way too.

This team is set at QB. You've got the franchise QB, the highest paid player in the NFL, the guy with more passing yards for his age than anyone, etc, etc. You don't need to bring in a pass-first coach. The passing game should be the last thing you focus on right now.

If we had a DL of Reggie White, Strahan, Suh & Aaron Donald, you wouldn't make the DL your #1 focus. You'd think that department would be all locked up. But not if youre running the Lions. No sir. You need to keep piling on that one strength and wonder why the rest of the team can't keep up.
    Bring back Schwartz? I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at. What position did we pile up? You caught me off balance when you switched from coaching to player personnel

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast