Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Caldwell on the hot seat. You get to choose the next HC + OC/DC, who you got?

Well, the cat is out of the bag with ole Jimmy Caldwell. Looks like it's playoff or bust.

Most think if Caldwell is out that GM Bob Quinn will try to get one of his buddies off the NE staff. For some that's reasonable, others not, who do you want?

Ultimately, if I had a choice, it would be probably the most unpopular one -- keep Caldwell until he is the difference that keeps the Lions from making a legitimate SB run. I do not think Jim Caldwell is a bad coach, however, I do not think he is a good coach. I think he is simply middle of the pack, as is this Lions roster.

People want to really run Caldwell out of town after what will probably 1 losing season out of 4 (I'm assuming they'll finish at least 8-8). It's interesting, because we've had very little sustained success of any sort since Fontes. I believe bomani jones said 34 wins in a 4 year period has happened once before Jim Caldwell (in the SB era), and that was during Fontes run. Now is that incredible, no, but for a franchise that has had very little success over the past 20 years, you'd think they'd want to maintain whatever few positives they had. Jim Schwartz got 5 seasons and had 29 wins TOTAL. We don't need to talk about what happened before that.

Now let's talk about this roster. I think we can objectively say this roster (currently) is significantly worse than the roster Jim Caldwell inherited. Don't believe me? That Lions roster had Ndamukong Suh, Slay, Stafford ,Glover Quin, Golden Tate, good Ziggy Ansah, Calvin Johnson, stud Deandre Levy, Stephen Tulloch, Nick Fairley, and plenty of GOOD depth on the DL. Even Rashean Mathis was okay in that one season. Their RBs that year? Bush/Bell/Riddick, which isn't good by any means, but certainly better than what we have now.

Let's talk about our current roster. We have all those guys minus Ndamukong Suh (we replaced him with old Haloti Ngata, who is now hurt), good ziggy ansah is now bad ziggy ansah, Calvin retired and we replaced him with Marvin Jones who had one bad year and one good year, Levy was replaced by Whitehead, and Tulloch replaced by Davis. Then Fairley gone (probably not so bad of a parting), and replaced him with the likes of Ashawn Robinson. Replaced Reggie Bush with essentially the same type of player just younger (Abdullah), told Bell to hit the bricks for Zenner, and held on to Riddick. Everything else is largely the same, Slay and Quin are as good as ever, Tate still as good as he was then. So in summary here are the positions we are undeniably worse at now compared to 3 years ago: DT, DE, LB, WR, RB. What are we better at? CB, Safety? (kind of a push, but I think Quin is playing better now), TE? Ebron still here, but Roberts/Fells >>>> Pettigrew/other bums. RG/RT is better than it was in 2014. 2014 Riley Reiff probably outplaying current Decker, though. Hopefully that changes.

So, let's ask ourselves, why is this roster worse than it was 3 years ago? Is Caldwell not developing the guys that've been brought in, or are the guys they brought in just not good enough? I'm going with the latter. Here are all the game changing acquisitions/moves Bob Quinn has made thus far: He signed Marvin Jones, signed Wagner/Lang to sizable deals, drafted Decker, paid Stafford, extended Quin and signed Boldin to a 1 year deal, which was probably the best move he's made so far as GM. His best draft pick is easily Decker, and he hasn't been that good since returning from injury. After Decker it's Jarrad Davis, and then a bunch of rotational guys you can't depend on game by game. Maybe they'll develop in a couple years like Lawson/Diggs have, but the fact is we're not getting immediate game changing talent out of the draft. Teams like the Saints have drafted talent that contributed immediately while other teams like the Eagles and Rams have used draft capital to trade for proven NFL talent, the Lions have done neither. This is an issue. I'm not sure why anybody is so sold on Bob Quinn when the dude has essentially the same drafts (if not worse) Mayhew had, and on top of this, you now have to entrust him with selecting the next HC. Whether i like it or not, he's going to get his chance, but I don't know why everybody is so certain whatever they'll get next is a surefire upgrade.

TL;DR: give me Caldwell until he is the difference between the Lions and a legitimate playoff run. Right now, he's not. This roster is the reason the Lions can't make a playoff run.

Did they say he was fired if they don't make the playoffs? I was busy all weekend and really haven't been able to watch any football or read up on anything.

Here is this thing, Lions have been so bad for so long that getting someone who can get 7-10 wins and the playoffs is considered great. Caldwell is ok, but really 10 wins and then a first round playoff exit is going to be his peak for us. And by no means should anyone be ok with that because (well its not as bad as it use to be). No it was bad before, and its not as bad now. But if you want to make the playoffs, win some games in the playoffs and even win the division then Caldwell is not the guy.

We are the only team with our starting QB and we are not even playing for the division with 3 games left. Like I said, if you are ok with 7-10 wins and then possibly every other year making the playoffs and losing first round, then fine stick with Caldwell. But I think its time to go for more.
    2015 Detroit Lions Prediction Game WINNER

Quote Originally Posted by ahoda View Post
    Did they say he was fired if they don't make the playoffs? I was busy all weekend and really haven't been able to watch any football or read up on anything.
    Nobody has come out and really said it, but speculation is he could be fired if he doesn't make it.

Can we fire the GM too?

Greg Schiano

Quote Originally Posted by whooligun View Post
    Can we fire the GM too?
    I don't really like the last draft we did, but I am willing to give him another draft and offseason to see what he can do.

it's funny to me that when you look up hot assistants Jim Bob and TA both come up

what was Stafford's salary when we had a better roster?

if Caldwell is our coach next year i might kill myself

honestly don't know who we would bring in. college coach?

I wanted Patricia last year but i don't know anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by whooligun View Post
    Can we fire the GM too?
    I'm in for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug3 View Post
    I don't really like the last draft we did, but I am willing to give him another draft and offseason to see what he can do.
    Probably make or break offseason. He's going to have a ton of cap to spend (Lions-wise, we rarely ever have much), and chances are will spend most of it. There are massive upgrades needed at DT, DE, TE, RB and a couple other places. If he doesn't invest in those spots and neglects them like last year....then what? He's added to STs and some back ups, but we need starters, and good ones. He's found maybe 2 good starters out of 2 drafts and 2 free agent periods. As sad as this is, Mayhew is the only reason this team has any legitimate talent right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug3 View Post
    Here is this thing, Lions have been so bad for so long that getting someone who can get 7-10 wins and the playoffs is considered great. Caldwell is ok, but really 10 wins and then a first round playoff exit is going to be his peak for us. And by no means should anyone be ok with that because (well its not as bad as it use to be). No it was bad before, and its not as bad now. But if you want to make the playoffs, win some games in the playoffs and even win the division then Caldwell is not the guy.

We are the only team with our starting QB and we are not even playing for the division with 3 games left. Like I said, if you are ok with 7-10 wins and then possibly every other year making the playoffs and losing first round, then fine stick with Caldwell. But I think its time to go for more.
    Here's the thing -- how good do you think this team is? Is this team better than the Vikings minus their starter? I don't think so. They have better RBs, better WRs, better defense at every level and arguably a better OL. If we take Zimmer and they take Caldwell, I don't think we're any better than they are, or as good. This team has 8-8 talent. Chances are they're going to finish around 8-8.

Is there a master list somewhere of all the moves (FAs, releases, signings & draft picks) Quinn has made?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast