Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

From Scott Perry. Thank God he is the gm and not some of us. Smh

“I think it’s very important if you’re playing meaningful basketball late in the season because of the culture you’re trying to build here,” Perry said in a wide-ranging interview Saturday at United Center. “I’ll also say wherever we wind up in the draft, whether on the playoff side or lottery side, I have extreme confidence in the scouting and front-office staff we’re going to add some talented players to the mix here.”

Culture seems to not be important to some. A LOSING culture is not what you want to develop. And you don't know what u have, talent be damned, until you see how a "star" responds to playoff basketball. Only a few really have "it", regardless of their draft possession. Kyrie has it for sure.

This obsession with "tanking/losing " for some "sureshot" is assignin. It even makes some unaware of the intangible value of lee and kanter

I can only believe that Dennis Rodman would have been run out of the league with this mindset bc he didn't play like a superstar except for rebounds and smarts. I bet Bill lambier, who kanter somewhat resembles, would have never lasted with the pistons

And this new era of small ball is not the only way to win. Look at the dominant young big men in the league. Give them time, if they are turned into 3 point shooters. Also. When you are as bad as the Knicks have been. You HOLD ON to your best assets while developing chemistry and culture. This may not lead to a championship this or next yr. BUT IT CAN CHANGE CULTURE and make this team more attractive to free agents.

WOW!! a gm that I can follow. Thank God none of us are gms

Seriously, what the heck is he talking about? It is mentioned that the obsession with tanking/losing for some surefire is assignine... but brings up Kyrie's name who was the first overall pick in the draft and went to the Cavs because they lost enough games to select him...

I would think before you build a culture, you need a foundation for that culture to flourish. Scott Perry is a bit ahead of himself... you can't jump to step two when you should still be working on step one...

Quite possibly he feels the Knicks already have an established foundation, and if thats the case his talent evaluation is strongly lacking...

On the other hand what is he supposed to say to the media...

Can't have a "winning culture" without actual wins. Can't get wins without talent.

Perry obviously isn't going to come out and endorse losing but I really hope he doesn't take these comments to heart.

Let me add something else. Do you really believe that Simmons and Joel are lifelong 6ers. That they will even be there for a championship? Joel has LA written all over him with his need for attention. I bet they leave for ny or LA as soon as they can. Do you tank. Draft. Develope and say goodbye?

As for the kyrie comment. It was used as an example of someone who knows how to play playoff basketball. Which is not recognized until you actually PLAY playoff basketball. He doesn't have "it" bc of draft position (Leonard comes to mind). He has "it" bc of playoff experience and mindset. Our best players may or may Not have "it" but based on what I have seen I would like to know. Beats more yrs of losing. Or are we saying tank just THIS yr? What player is that magic 1 next yr?

So you trade players to continue losing and sabotage that assessment of finding out if they can play playoff bb in order to dream that these lottery draft picks have that persona? No, I believe that you keep trying to win to the best of your ability. And if you make the playoffs and have a coach who can maximize a 5 to 7 game series with strategy, then that is much better than some fantasy draft pick. As Perry said. Your scouting staff is key.

Maybe this is still not clear to some

Finally. So despite what our gm says. He is either lying or not as smart as our posters bc they know better

Right now what he is saying is what I would rather want to hear or believe in. But I think it's bc I am from eras past. Before fantasy basketball and this obvious acceptance of losing for some thought that the future is better bc of it

I will see when the bulls develop in a few yrs

Actually I would take the nets above the bulls right now and they don't appear to be tanking. They appear to have an active gm , doing his job

Ps. We also have a better chance at signing a Simmons or Joel or keeping our own draft picks if we develop a winning culture.
    Last edited by nicnac; 12-10-2017 at 08:31 AM.

I think a shrewd move would be moving Coutney Lee at the deadline for some young talent or a pick since he does not fit our timeline. Buy low and sell high. Lee has been in the league long enough to know what he is. He is not turning into Kawhi. Kanter is young but 17 mil is already to high of a salary so I cannot see paying him more yearly whether it be next year or two years from now. Brooklynn has no incentive to tank, they do not own their pick. Brooklynn used their capspace to make those shrewd moves. We did not. We have Noah and Kanter making 17 mil a piece and signed Timmy to what? So we cannot make moves like Brooklynn. I do not want to lose but I do not want false hope either. Boston did it the best. Got rid of aging stars for picks, took on bad contracts for picks, got a college coach who can develop players and played hard. Now all the assets they accumulated is bearing fruit. If that coach can develop mid level talent now imagine when they have top talent like Kyrie, the cat they got from Utah, the kids they drafted in the past two years in the 3 spot. I understand u can find a diamond in the rough but Knicks have not shown they can do that or develop players. The players in the top of the draft are at the top because of their talent and will play in higher pressure games because they play for top teams competing for NCAA championships which is college playoffs u can watch them there and see how they respond. Philly is no longer tanking and has more talent no reason for anyone to leave to go to NY. Maybe LA because of tradition. Do not tank. Just play the young guys and let the chips fall where they may. Vets on this team should be low paid backups. All that being said u need s little luck and nothing is guaranteed.
    Last edited by cssdmark; 12-10-2017 at 09:03 AM.

To me, C Lee is the only asset of value to other teams. A key injury on another team will net you a 1st and an expiring for Lee. It's not too hard to look at rosters and salaries to identify potential landing spots.

I haven't completely looked at this teams Financials etc but the Pelicans are a team that could really use Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by nicnac View Post
    Thank God none of us are gms
    Yep!

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    I like Perry more and more

The knicks need to get at least 1 more high draft pick.

Sure Play Off Experience is Very Important but this will be a Team that Continues to struggle just to get into the Playoffs year in and year out if they don't add 1 more Lottery talent.
    The Cavaliers will have a higher pick than the Knicks this season. That team as built will easily be better than the Knicks for the next 5-6 years. Imagine if the Cavs Luck Out and Draft another Super Star. Knicks need to get Lucky with a Super Talent and the Best way to do that is to get a High Lottery pick and make sure your Scouts work over time evaluating these kids.
    Last edited by SK6; 12-10-2017 at 11:17 PM.

After Cuban got in trouble with the league for his comments, what else is he supposed to say?

Also, Cuban was the only bold enough to flat out say it. Even Hinkie talked around it and deemed it “The Process.”
    Last edited by smood999; 12-10-2017 at 12:37 PM.

"We're focused on how to put the building blocks in place that have a chance to compete in May. Those teams win in the high-50s. They don't win in the teens and they don't add two or three wins a year and they don't add a win a month for a little while to try and get to where they're going. They get all the way to the 50s. And they get there usually on the backs of great players. We are still - as much as I've talked about how we make decisions and as much as I've talked about our organizational goals and our player development - it is a players-driven league, still. When we have a set of players that can carry us deep, that's the only way, that's the only way to get where we're going." - Sam Hinkie

Compare the two. Which statement realistically portrays what it takes to win in the NBA?
    Last edited by smood999; 12-10-2017 at 12:43 PM.

Great players create the culture Perry is seeking. Culture doesn’t create great players.

Greatness wins. Anything less, doesn’t.

What I can't understand is the delusion that a Team full of Mediocre players with the exception being 1 Great Player is some how going to magically Develop into a Great Team.
    Most Great Teams Today have 2-4 Great Players and 2-4 Good Role Players.
    This Knicks team is Capped Out. Imo Long term this team has 1 Great player and 2 good role players. Not even close to being a competitive team.

The spurs are winning with veterans and gleague players even the nets are competing every night with role players. The draft has also been very overated lately i mean does Tatum even look like 1/5 the player Melo was in 2003? Wiggins was supposed to be next Lebron he looks more like overpaid Ariza. Ball the next Jason Kidd his team looks better offensively and defensively when he's on the bench yikes. Russell the next Curry/Harden his team dumped for salary reasons. At least I'm confident Gaines will pull out a miracle wabbit 3rd time in a row.

Assignin.

Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast